Escape Room: Tournament of Champions (2021) Poster

Shorter and dumber than the first one
bozabozidar31 August 2021
This is a direct sequel to the surprisingly successful 2019 movie (which I personally liked), so you should really watch that one first if you haven't already. However, the 2nd Escape Room is shorter and has a much faster pacing than the first one, but most importantly everything is just so chaotic and messy all around. The first Room in the original movie was one of the movie's best scenes, as it slowly built up the atmosphere and gave both the characters and the audience enough time to think, whereas the first "Room" in this one is just ridiculous, with everything happening way too quickly and all the characters screaming in such an annoying way. Also, all the deaths are absurdly elaborate, involving some fantastical contraptions that look like they came out of an unusually stupid episode of the original Star Trek series; but this was probably done because more realistic and explicit death scenes would restrict the film's access to younger audiences. Anyhow, the whole movie is pretty much just a set up for the final plot twist, and without spoiling anything I'll just say that the twist is just preposterously unexpected and will leave many viewers scratching their heads out of bafflement as it just raises many new questions. I would recommend the "Tournament" only to those fans of the original who don't have high expectations from the sequel.
121 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie for an audience with the attention span of an ant
Gommes2728 August 2021
You feel like TikTok videos are too long and you wanna see a movie where a bunch of people constantly scream and point at things while no scene lasts longer than 2 seconds? Look no further, cause Escape Room 2 will be your movie of the year!

Horrible dialogues, horrible directing, no tension, no chance of immersion, no creativity and basically everything what can go wrong in a movie will be found here.
100 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way worse than the first movie
Boschen12316 July 2021
I watched the original movie multiple times as it was an easy watch with decent enough acting. This sequel was just boring and predictable. The concepts gets old quick and the twists are mostly all predictable.

I found a lot of the actors annoying too. In some of the rooms they were just so manic you could barely hear what was happening or follow what they were doing.
114 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goo one...
m-ramanan3 October 2021
RATED 7/10 Language: English

Nice sequel and made this as good origin story... The problem of the movie is that the puzzles are more mathematics than entertaining one... If the puzzles are bit more intriguing and simple this could have been more enjoyable.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extended cut
jessicacummins-3596215 September 2021
I highly recommend watching the extended cut as it is so much better than the theatrical version. A better twist and better plot story.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
88 minutes of boring people solving absurd puzzles
benjaminskylerhill16 July 2021
One of the most colossally stupid, inconsistent screenplays I've seen put to the big screen.

The first film wasn't good, but at least it had some attempts at compelling themes and interesting characters. This movie has nothing but absurdity and an underwhelming story to offer.
58 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not As Good As The First, But Worth Watching If You Loved It
isantistao10 October 2021
If you loved the first one you should watch this, but don't let yourself be disappointed, it is not as good as the first. The writing/story is way more far fetched and unbelievable, the writers seem to be going off the deep end. The acting isn't as good and feels more forced and also cliche, but this again would be also due to poor writing. But also the movie doesn't look as good as the first one because they are using bad CGI that is low def. So I just wanted to let you know what kinds of things might be a let down for you if you really loved the first one like I did. But I still think its worth a watch and not a bad film.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great concept - worst script
Arts-student17 July 2021
Interesting premise. Fun escape rooms and sets. What happened with this script.

I have never been so offended as an audience to be treated like I am too stupid to understand what I'm watching happen - so because I'm a stupid audience member I need to have what I'm watched explained at literally ever possible moment.

Who thought literally any of the dialogue was necessary OR that these performances were acceptable. And some of these actors are really great in other work.

I don't understand how a studio thought this script that took 4 people to write was anything close to ready to be a movie.
83 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
lucaschriskowalski10 July 2021
I enjoyed the first film, was fresh. They didn't really offer anything new here, definitely more budget but that's about all. The first "room" dragged on and overall the rooms were not as inventive as the first film. When the solving of the puzzles involves nonstop changes in direction it loses any interest as it's just from one thing to another. More of a rental than at the movies.
64 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adequately thrilling
Gordon-1126 September 2021
This film is still intense, but has less rooms than the first film. It's adequately thrilling.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a good movie
sina-8319718 September 2021
I don't understand why people don't like the movie .. the movie is entertaining, the escape rooms they do are very good and make you think at the same time as the actors about how they are going to escape from the escape rooms or who is going to do the next one who dies.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give it a try on lazy sunday afternoon
nayeemiqbal_24 September 2021
Going deeper into the rabbit hole. Starting of movie with the crux of first movie for new viewers and ending makes sure the 3rd part will come. The puzzles are more thrilling. One time watch though. Fun to watch though proving the point made in movie. Actors cant act though.
Normal
lucas-1015922 September 2021
It wasn't a waste of time but, on the other hand, it wasn't great. There was a little suspense with an expected ending.
Kind of decent!
ahmxd18 September 2021
Yeah, there is survival thrill in this one too, but story was less engaging.

Just a time pass movie, you can watch it if you have free time.
Worthy sequel.
jp_9117 September 2021
"Escape Room: Tournament of Champions" is an entertaining film with a good dose of suspense. At first I thought that this sequel would be better than the first part, but I was wrong, it is not superior but it is a worthy second part. The script follows logically to the plot and has good moments of suspense, the final surprise is not new but it is pleasant. The acting is good, the cinenatography is a great hit, highlighting some powerful visuals, and the special effects are decent. A good sequel, entertaining from start to finish.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Electrically paced; if you enjoyed the first you will enjoy this one too
jtindahouse1 July 2021
I really enjoyed the first 'Escape Room' film back in 2019 (it feels like longer ago than that for some reason). The movie was pretty well received and did well at the box office so of course a sequel was going to come along eventually. Plus the ending of the first one basically demanded it (an ending that is recapped at the beginning of this film in case you were wondering whether you needed to see the original first before this - although I would still recommend it for other things that crop up during the sequel). So here we are two years later getting that follow-up, and I have to say it was a pretty darn good movie all up.

I'll start by saying if you struggle with suspension of disbelief in films then you are going to struggle with this one a lot. There are some elements to this movie that are so far-fetched they don't even try to explain them. You just have to accept them for what they are and sit back and enjoy the ride (if you can).

Both of the movies in this series have PG-13 ratings, but it really doesn't take anything away from either of the movies as far as I can tell. People still die in some pretty horrific ways, however the movie isn't going out of its way to rub your face in it. It has a strong enough story going on that it really doesn't have to. We know the stakes are high and (almost) no character is safe.

The pacing of this movie is electric. It's short at only 88 minutes, but even then it's over before you know it. Once the action starts it never relents. These movies are almost like a hybrid of the horror and action genres and I think that is one of the reasons they work so well. People who like horror are able to enjoy the action elements just fine, and people who don't like horror know that the movie isn't setting out to scare you or gross you out at all. There's a really good balance found here.

The only criticism I'd suggest was that some of the new characters could have done with a little fleshing out. There's a scene where everyone goes around the circle and says their name, and that's about the extent of the development we get for a lot of them. It makes them a little hard to care for, and makes them feel quite expendable.

If you enjoyed the first 'Escape Room' you're almost certainly going to have a good time with this one too. This one follows a similar formula, but has some unique twists and turns to add something to the series as well. I had a really good time with 'Escape Room: Tournament of Champions' and would recommend people check it out.
123 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
really enjoyed it
zreen18 September 2021
I really enjoyed this movie!

Especially the plot twist at the end! I feel like maybe they could have made it a little longer and added more depth to it, but when the film ended i couldnt wait for the next film!
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Bad Indeed
zarehkasraa26 September 2021
Super fun and Entertaining has its silly and wtf moments but who cares.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utterly Clueless
bob-the-movie-man21 July 2021
I only gave Adam Robitel's original "Escape Room" 5/10. It was perhaps hoping for too much that his sequel - "Escape Room: Tournament of Champions" - would be better.

Positives:
  • As in the first film, Taylor Russell again stands out as a personable, attractive and convincing actress. She deserves a role in something a lot better.

• The production design on the "game sets" is certainly very impressive.

Negatives:
  • The fact that SIX people are down with writing credits for this astonishes me. The whole thing comes across as lazily plotted, with virtually no character development of the players. (Yes, even less than the first film.) You might think Nathan (Thomas Cocquerel) as an athletic priest might be an interesting character. I was expecting him at one point to channel the dramatic demise of Gene Hackman's similar character in "The Poseidon Adventure". But no. Nothing much is done with this.

• It's a movie where the more you think about it afterwards, the less sense it makes. Some examples:
-- People are dead, but then again - when inconvenient for the plot - dead no longer.

-- There's some bizarre "daughter kidnap" sub-plot at one point, but that's never referred to again.

-- Acid rain has no effect on a lock... until that is, the rainwater is captured and poured on the lock! Bonkers!

• There's a tragic amount of inane running around and wailing that gets mentally tiresome. You can imagine this written in the script as "Now run down the corridor and adlib some 'teenagers in peril' noises". (This is a best case guess: I'd hate to think that some of the "Quick!"s and "Hurreeeee!"'s had actually been scripted).

Summary Thoughts on "Escape Room: Tournament of Champions": I found this one to be tragically bad. A lame attempt to cash in on the bizarre $155M success of the first B-movie. My personal recommendation: Avoid!

(For the full graphical review, please check out One Mann's Movies on the web, Facebook and Tiktok. Thanks).
62 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable n not at all at par with its predecessor.
Fella_shibby8 September 2021
I enjoyed the first part n it has some cool traps, cool settings n the cinematography is top notch.

This one is not at par but still a good thriller.

While the first one has suspense n is tension filled, this one gets a bit predictable, specially the fate of the priest. I knew it that he will be shown as a selfless guy and his fate will be via a selfless act.

Logan Miller's character's fate is also predictable.

Holland Roden looked attractive with her eye makeup.

She is there in Follow Me aka No Escape, a bit similar take on the escape room genre but with a solid twist.

Whereas Taylor Russell looked weird with her makeup at the airport scene.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it overall
corbinwest7 October 2021
The alternative I feel was done better and left more room for a sequel but i liked both of them. The rooms are way bigger and better. The movie goes by so quick its unbelievable. I really liked the cast and wish i could see more of them.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a Ride!
andrepadez21 September 2021
I would normally give it 7/10 but i felt i had to counter all the haters.

I feel in a movie like this, story can be sacrificed if the thrill is there, and i couldn't get a moments rest while watching this; also, the story felt very well constructed, nice twist at the end, and set up for more!
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eventful movie looking to continue the craziness.
rikwierinckx20 August 2021
One hour and a half of madness. This movie is shorter than recent ones coming out. It's filled with action and excitement.

It doesn't waste much time getting started, don't want to wast time getting to know new characters like we did in the last one.

In my opinion the new rooms weren't as cool as the ones in the last movie but it tries to change stuff up.

The ending was great, it left you in a bit of a shock, combined with the awesome soundtrack, you just kinda wanna sit there and watch the full credits.

As said I thought the soundtrack was pretty good, although they recycle the main theme throughout.

All in all it was a pretty good movie, deserving of a watch! Enjoy.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does its job
josejobin-625553 October 2021
I actually had fun watching this. Its supposed to be just a straightforward thriller movie.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exhilarating that makes you feel like the Protagonist
bssgrp17 September 2021
The film makes you doubt yourself. As if the protagonist really escaped or just stuck in another escape room. Just a brief introduction, and non-stop action is throughout the film.

The short runtime is only the down side.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.