The Banana Splits Movie (2019) Poster

One Banana, Two Banana, Three Banana, gore!
robinsonaustin-0749019 August 2019
So, Five Nights at the Banana Splits. Putting the alleged rumor that the film was based on the original script Warner Brothers had for FNAF before the rights were transferred over to Bloomhouse Productions aside, the movie was a mixed bag. I liked the gore to it; there were probably two scenes in the film where it was uniquely done, but the effects were a little artificial as in blood and guts are spilled, but it was mostly obvious to tell it was fake. The designs of the Banana Splits themselves were also pretty decent considering that they are animatronics in this version.

The acting was mediocre. The main actor playing the young Harley does an okay job, but the character he plays lacks some considerable common sense. His mother, is also okay, but the generic "I'm trying to keep everything together" mom. His older brother Austin, I disliked because every line he said sounded like he was whining constantly.

This is kind of where the story falls flat on its face. When the animatronics go on their killing spree, there isn't any kind of emotional output from the characters. It's as if they're bored of the idea of getting gruesomely killed by robots. You can't really bring yourself to care about any of the characters which is one of the many traits that horror movies suffer from. The writing was also predictable, and did not try to do anything new.

I can't honestly say that I can recommend the film because while it isn't bad, it's nothing that's any different from your standard slasher films but this time, it includes Hana Barbara characters. But if you are intrigued by the idea of a movie subverting childhood shows, by all means give it a watch. It is bile fascination at its finest.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good blood,guts.gore and suspense movie.
casayne14 August 2019
I purchased and watched this movie today as soon as it came out. Blood and guts are not my usual kind of movie but I wanted to see how Steve Lund, my favorite actor, was in this type of movie. His acting was excellent,as I had expected.If you like blood,guts, gore and suspense you will surely like this movie. Steve Lund's acting was excellent, as I expected. If you like blood,guts,suspense and gore than you will surely like this movie.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Goofy, Gory Good Time!
austinjrutherford13 August 2019
It's by no means perfect, but I was pretty impressed with how well it was made in terms of the camera work and special effects. Yeah, it's cheesy in spots, but it seemed pretty well-written considering what they had to go off of. There's some pretty gory and inventive kills toward the end with a slight plot twist. If you're in any way a fan of campy B-horror movies, then open up your nostalgic heart and give this film a watch!
17 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is wrong with the whiny babies that are offended by this movie
lchaney-8967013 August 2019
Just bought this movie I watched it this morning as soon as it was released. It is awesome the video quality is great the acting is great for the most part. The special effects are great and the humor is perfect in the right places. You could actually believe that this is what would have really happened back in the early 70s. I love this movie I'm glad I bought it and I will watch it over and over again and show it to all my friends the only thing I have to say is I hope that there's going to be a sequel because it will be great if it was made like the first one.
22 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm sorry you didnt get it.
mikwlsn14 August 2019
Not only was this so ridiculous and a crazy fun time but a good few parts genuinely creeped me out. This movie is supposed to be ridiculous. It's a revised five nights freddy's script!! Great movie
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice concept, average execution
anthonyjlangford20 August 2019
Like many I suppose, I was drawn to the novelty factor having the iconic Banana Splits made into a modern horror film. I was all for the concept and the basic premise is quite a good one. However the film takes itself far too seriously for it to actually work properly.

It's a ridiculous setup so there should be some humour involved. It's all delivered with such a straight face that after a while it becomes an ordinary, if not bland, slasher film.

The first execution is quite fun but after that these bananas are slipping on their own dropped peels. A shame but ultimately it's pretty dull.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I grow up watching this movie
bella-1010314 August 2019
This movie was funny and scary in places, but definitely worth a watch,brought back loads of good memories from my childhood.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I highly recommend if stupid movies are your cup of tea
electroponyultimate10 August 2019
By no means is this movie good in a cinematic sense, but if you want have a gory stupid fun time I highly recommend at least a watch. You won't regret it, even if you were one of the fan boys that were trashing on the trailer. Ironic rating 10/10 Legitimate rating 6-7/10
17 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grew Up Watching This TV Show in the UK
steveatwal13 August 2019
This was a crazy, fun, stupid TV show that we grew up watching. Some famous people cane on the show, including "The Monkeys" music band. This is a new remake into a movie. Worth a watch.
17 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really fun
qbarkdude13 August 2019
This is a special type of movie that is stupid but knows it's kind of stupid. I really enjoyed the deaths and Splits themselves. I never knew what was gonna happen next. There are some good scenes which are well passed and eerie. There are of course the clichés that are in every low budget horror movie. But they work because of the solid writing and good characters. I was always excited to see what happened next. I would have liked more dialogue from the Splits themselves. Hell, I would have loved if they were in the movie more period. But as it is, it's not amazing, but it's pretty good. Give it a watch before you give it 1 star.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Want more! !
danielbaker-5661014 August 2019
This movie was great from start to finish and the kills were very much deserving of that R rating. I do wish the Splits had more dialog and that they showed the massacre of the rest of the audience but all in all this was a great movie if they made a sequel I would watch it.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute disgrace to the memory of a great show.
teachermarkthailand13 August 2019
I really REALLY made an effort to get into this movie as I loved The Banana Splits Show as a kid... but I could bear no more than fifteen minutes.

This wretched steaming pile of sour grapes bunch poo is an insult to the original program and should never ever have been made. Just terrible.
19 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Blatant FNAF Rip-Off
jeremycrimsonfox14 August 2019
When I heard of this film, I was shocked, as it took a classic show from the 1960's and turned it into a horror movie, but seeing the trailer, I was appalled that they decided to make the Banana Splits killer animatronics, which makes this film a cheat attempt at making money off the upcoming Five Nights At Freddy's movie, as people said it was made with a script created for a FNAF film until the creator hated it so much, he took the movie rights from Warner Bros.

I would not blame them. In the movie, Drooper is treated like the Foxy of the group, as he almost runs over Harley, the kid who comes to the last show on their birthday, and becomes the first to turn evil. Also, some of the kills are ridiculous and defy logic (like Drooper killing Stevie by shoving a lolliop down his throat, with blood coming out). Also, the side characters are nothing more clichés (like the father pushing her daughter, Parker, to stardom, Stevie, the alcoholic co-star of the Splits, and a couple who are Banana Splits fanatic and sneak a phone in to get some footage). Also, the movie is not exciting. I think it all depends on whether or not you grew up with the Banana Splits as a kid, but to me, this movie stinks because Warner Bros. took a franchise beloved by 60's and 70's kids and twisted it in order to beat a movie adaption to a indie survival horror game franchise they used to have the rights for, all in the name of making a quick buck.
15 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Bad But Not Really Good Either
jonathancupp6618 August 2019
I don't know for sure that this movie was a repurposed script for a Five Nights at Freddy's movie, but it certainly seems like it. You've got to admire the tenacity of the producer's to make a gory indie horror film based on a 60s kid show, though.

All I knew of the series had been the song, memorably covered by The Dickies, and some spot they used to show on the Boomerang network. Every once in a while you hear about an idea to make an R-Rated movie based on a kids property (like the original idea for James Gunn's Scooby Doo) but these guys actually did it. Despite the novel idea, it's more-or-less your average made-for-cable slasher movie with few exceptions.

First, the sets and costumes have a certain novelty. The juxtaposition of cartoon imagery with gory death and dismemberment has a certain charm. It's not unlike a 90s Full Moon Pictures movie in a lot of way.

And second, the performances are surprisingly good almost across the board. The script is sort of lackluster and obvious but the actors do a credible job of bringing their characters to life. For me, Dani Kind as Beth, Richard White as Stevie and Naledi Majola as Paige were all exceptional and I'd like to see them in more genre work.

Otherwise it's just OK, watchable but gets a bit tiresome after a while. I probably enjoyed the first half before the robots went berserk more than the second and that's something.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not even surprised the Banana Splits are murderers
ddelhuerto22 August 2019
I don't care if this movie is a rip-off of Five Nights at Freddy's!! I never even LIKED the Banana Splits to begin with!! I mean, it was a LIVE-ACTION show made in 1968 by HANNA-BARBERA!!!! THAT is how bad it was. And it becomes even worse when it aired on Cartoon Network in 1992. HOW COME BIG BAG AND THE BANANA SPLITS DIDN'T GET THE SAME TREATMENT AS CN REAL OR OUT OF JIMMY'S HEAD??!!

The original Banana Splits show was too scary, that I felt they were gonna kill me!! And guess what, Warner Bros. finally exposed the truth!! The Banana Splits WERE, have ALWAYS been, and FOREVER WILL BE murderers!!

And people say the Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack was so bad it's scary, that goes to the original Banana Splits and ANYTHING by Sid and Marty Krofft (who designed puppets for that Banana Splits show). Yes, the fact that Sid and Marty Krofft designed the puppets for the Banana Splits is the REAL reason why Warner Bros. exposed them as murderers!!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tra La La
Prismark1020 August 2019
I was a fan of the Banana Splits as a kid so disappointed that this instalment has no segments of The Arabian Nights or The Three Musketeers!

I doubt many people under the age of 45 years of age may even know about The Banana Splits so would not be too bothered that some kids show characters has been turned into stars of a horror film.

Set in an universe where the Banana Splits television show is still being made. This is in fact a gory version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

A group of people go to the taping of the show. Our hero Harley is a big Banana Splits fan and it is his birthday, so his family plan a special outing. Some others include a girl with a pushy parent who thinks his daughter can be the next big star. A vlogger with his girlfriend who plans to broadcast from his mobile phone.

However the new network head plans to cancel the show and the robotic puppets having heard the news go on a murderous rampage. The show must go on and on for the demented Banana Splits.

There is some grisley carnage and black humour. You kind of hope some people will get slaughtered such as Harley's stepfather, you just know he is not on that mobile phone to stay in touch with his office.

The film has a variety of ways of annihilating some of the characters. It is a shame that security is so lax at the studio where the show is taped.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Enough Heart
HighFlyer_1523 August 2019
The idea of FNAF on the big screen could totally work but it doesn't when the movie tries to convince you that these robots are so advanced that they can move like humans in some scenes and in other scenes they move like, well, robots(with added robot sounds). Going from incredibly fluid motions to a poor man's robot dance breaks the immersion of "killer robots on the loose" and it just ends up feeling like a movie about guys in suits having had enough of their job and now they want to kill people.

The gore is fine whenever it's there. Some of the kills are very silly which is fine. And some of them are very poorly executed. A certain fire scene has the quality of a Youtuber who just figured out how to use After Effects for the first time.

The acting is quite bad. A few actors are doing what they can and pulling it off but most of the cast is really bad. The adult fans of the show are overacting to the point where it hurts to hear them speak. I get it, the older brother is meant to be awkward but it's taken to the next level with lines being spoken poorly.

The camera work is what saves the movie in my opinion. If whoever was behind the camera had done a worse job the movie would've been a 1* for me but it's not terrible in that regard.

Overall, I can see why some of the people in the review section love it but it's clear they can't see past their excitement and review the movie as a movie. I loved the Mortal Kombat Annihiliation movie as a kid but we all know how terrible that one is. And I love Venom as a movie but I'm not biased enough to say it's a master piece 10/10 like people here.
Tragedy: made by Americans and not Japanese
AnusPresley22 August 2019
The premise is awesome. The delivery barely acceptable. This was unfortunately made by Warner Bros. in the US - as such, there was visible squeamishness at producing a product that would be truly memorable, especially since there were kids involved. I can only dream what this would have been like in the hands of Japanese splatter auteurs where too much excess is never enough. Opportunity lost.

That said, there is an air of authenticity to the original Banana Splits - except Snorky was not the same - and gave me a pleasant nostalgic warm glow. Merely acceptable. Could have been great. But worth a view if you remember the teevee show.
Please Be a Part 2! 🍌🍌🍌🍌
zombienotld20 August 2019
Five Nights At Freddie's! I put the Splits up against them anytime.....omg that should be a movie too! I'm a 54 year old grandmother and my granddaughter and I just watched this movie. Fun gore without all the nudity and sex that there usually is in a horror movie. Thanks for that. We hope there is a second Banana Splits movie! PS- love you Snorky!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the hell did I just watch?
kiraislost15 August 2019
I loved the Banana Splits and I love cheesy horror..but this....this is something else entirely. Not enough horror, not nearly enough Banana Splits. Why are they robots? Why a human Banana Split? Seems like they really wanted to do a Five Nights at Freddy's movie and couldn't get the rights.
6 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
hupp_ethan16 August 2019
I was hoping the banana splits movie wouldn't do well but it did. This is a kids show turned into a horror movie which no one asked to be revived like this. Any other kids show that gets revived for kids is fine but turning it to a horror movie which ruins people's childhoods if they seen the show like way into 68-70. For example watching this is gonna scaring anyone if they can't stand the blood like Saw or any bloody movie. Hanna Barbera wouldn't want to see this if he was still alive. I hope something like this doesn't get revived again and if anyone agrees leave a like to this review.
6 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved hating these guys!
flitz35-633-62765020 August 2019
A very original idea of making an extremely corny kide show and making into a fun and corny horror.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not the show I remember, but damn I had fun with this movie!
jolohoho19 August 2019
If you're wanting to relive your childhood memories of the Banana Splits Show, then this movie is not for you. If you want a good lighthearted movie with gore then you'll have fun!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.