Star Trek: Prodigy (TV Series 2021– ) Poster

(2021– )

Brilliant!
abmb-965189 January 2022
Brilliant! I love it! Just wish there were more and longer episodes! Well done nickelodeon!! I love the Haneway hologram and the crew is an interesting group. The adventures are gripping and engaging. Please make more, much more!!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An entertaining quality made show even if directed more towards a younger viewer
RainerJohns29 October 2021
Though it is difficult to judge with one episode out. But I love the essential "exploring with a ship" foundation and looking forward to what happens. The characters seem interesting and the animation very nice. The storyline so far seems pretty basic but we'll see.

Despite it might seem it will be more of a kids show it still has many elements that are enjoyable for any ST fan. Give it a chance!
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A new enterprise for the youngsters
purgatoryman21 December 2021
This is a different show than TNG or DS9. It stars young aliens who have barely heard of the Federation. They find a derelict Federation ship and use it for freedom, but gradually learn of the ideals of Starfleet from a hologram of Captain Janeway. If you want a show with an old guy in a uniform issuing commands to a well-trained bridge crew, this is far removed from that... it's more like a prequel to Starfleet Academy. Personally, I like this new approach to ease young people into Star Trek, and I can't wait to see how they grow into a proper Starfleet crew. Give it a few episodes as they start to come together... by the fourth or fifth episode, the characters start to shine and work together.
YA Star Trek? Yes, it works
suncountee28 November 2021
I initially wasn't sold on the premise of this show. It starts on an alien mining planet where almost no one has heard of the Federation, and not a uniform in sight until Hologram Janeway shows up. But watch the first 5 episodes, trust me. The kids start out rough and unsure how to work as a team, but Janeway shows them the ropes of Starfleet and they slowly become a crew who set a course for the Alpha Quadrant. We are on a journey with these kids... and I'm looking forward to it.
This is Trej
zxtract18 November 2021
Quite good, even on its own.

A bit depressing that the feel and scope of Trek is better handled by an animation than by a live action show.... dear... why Discovery and Picard... uter failures they are.

But this is good! Sure it has it's misgivings and differences, but Trek fans should rejoice; we finally have a Trek we can appreciate that deeply pays tribute to what we know and love. This is a gem, thank you for this.
Beautiful, hopeful Trek
greggycleveland31 December 2021
What I love most about this series, as opposed to some other recent offerings, is that it embraces hope, curiosity, and exploration. It's only a few episodes in, but I am hooked, as are my kids. It's full of mysteries and fun nods to other series, but is able to hold together on its own. As Dal, Gywnn and their young crew learn how to be a Starfleet crew under Hologram Janeway, I think they will grow to be one of the greatest the Federation has to offer.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To boldly go where and so forth
Rastifan4 November 2021
The show is a little tame for older Trekkies like myself. It is "very" family friendly. But the younger audience which this is aimed at might find it worth while. Let's hope future episodes justify it's existence.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
who's the target audience?
jim9219777 November 2021
This show wasn't made with the intention of appealing to "Trekkies". Now consider what cartoons you watched as a child. I'm just going to go right out and say it, I'm in my early 40's. A few of the cartoons I watched; Alvin and the Chipmunks, Heathcliff, Inspector Gadget, He-man, M. A. S. K. The cartoons I watched when I was a twerp really weren't complex. This cartoon fits right in with the competition. Trekkies can watch this with their children and introduce Star Trek to their kiddos using a child friendly approach. Star Trek has long presented mature themes and adults have always been the real stars of the show. This show represents a change of pace for the brand. Even if this is a knock off Star Wars Clone Wars, if kids enjoy it that's really all that matters.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and emersive - love it!
sboslayer22 November 2021
It's just so much fun and has Janeway to boot. I think younger audiences will love this series. It's a great introduction to trek with stellar graphics. I actually think other than Picard it's the best so far. Lower Decks is also awesome, but all these shows are in their own lane. Disco is good, but I'm its way more fun watching Prodigy. There might not be too many trek references yet, but that's the idea... introduce to the next gen of people.

Not sure it deserves all the bad reviews. Personally, it always seems to be the hard-core TNG (or pre) fans that want the same format. Always complaining for the same, gets boring. At least this is a different spin and take it for what it is. I'd not write it off until you watch thr first 5 eps as let's face it most 1st seasons are about getting the audience on board and building the foundation. Giving tons of trek lore will make it hard to follow.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I beg you, stop producing garbage
vitaly585 November 2021
When I was a kid, I loved scifi shows as they were, they weren't trying to appeal to kids, they were serious in tones and thought provoking.

I didn't understand some part of it, obviously, but they've opened up as I grew myself.

Why do you feel you need to dumb down content and call it "for kids"? You already dumbed down discovery and picard, you failed to entertain any audience, be it hardcore middle-age fans, new comers, teens whatsoever.

Learn from your mistakes, stop burning money on garbage, do something so worthy that people will be discussing it in 30 years. Trust me, it will not be star trek prodigy.
34 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
mattdsnider14 January 2022
It's not that I expected Prodigy to be bad, I just had no real expectations. It was specifically marketed as a way to get a younger audience interested in Star Trek and I can see how it would. But it's honestly better written than some of its recent live-action peers. It strikes a nice balance between the chock-full of callbacks nature of Lower Decks and covering new ground that still seems recognizably situated in the same universe.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An intriguing Star Trek start -- give it a chance!
grigorwitherspoon31 December 2021
This story starts way outside Federation space, no doubt about it. But over time, it takes on a character all its own when Hologram Janeway appears on an abandoned NX Starfleet vessel to show some ragtag runaway aliens how to become a true Starfleet crew. It has adventure, hope, and heart. Watch the first five episodes -- that's when it really starts to get good, trust me.

As for the other reviews saying this show "isn't Star Trek", it feels like they only saw the pilot. By episode 5 they are doing away missions and seeking out new life and new civilizations, guided by an emergency Training Hologram. Can't get more Trek than that!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is Trek, viewers saying its mindless dont get it
chrismholmez19 November 2021
This will get new Trek fans in earlier. This is the Delta quadrant and there are many episodes to link the Trek ethos from the Delta quadrant. The visuals are outstanding, the stories are wonderful for kids and enjoyable for adults to watch with them. It is perfect. If I had a particular nitpick I dont love Dal, seems a bit useless and whiny right now... but its literally 3 episodes in.

Enjoy it for what it is.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People are forgetting it's a Kids show!
zoeyzoco-5174129 October 2021
I'm a huge Voyager fan and Janeway is my favorite captain... so it's hard for me NOT to enjoy this! However it is a kids show keep in mind, so there are a lot of childish elements to it.. but that's okay! If you like Star Wars rebels, you'll like this also! It was cool to see the Kazon come back and the show being set in the Delta Quadrant! I'm most excited to see more Janeway!
26 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great! Another season of Star Wars Rebels, oh wait...
LeParas-14 November 2021
... this was obviously thought to be a new Star Trek series. Seriously? As in, are you serious?

Well, to be brutally frank when the first thing which comes to the mind of a viewer is Star Wars instead of Star Trek you have massively dropped the ball during the creation of this tv-show.

Not that I would have expected any better by this danger haired soy-latte drinking Twitter addicts over at CBS who obviously have not the slightest clue what they're doing.

I rate this 2/10 because the CGI is good and the voice actors did a really good job, but other than that it's a blatant Star Wars rip-off.

Star Trek: Prodigy, my foot!

P. S.: The General Grievous copy looked really good, even better than the original, I'll give them that.
32 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mindless junk having nothing to do with the Star Trek ethos
sogoodlooking29 October 2021
Though one reviewer did applaud its "diversity." Er, yes, when you have a number of alien species involved, that really goes with the territory by definition.
69 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better Than Expected
DeviateDefiant29 October 2021
I haven't enjoyed Star Trek this much since Enterprise ended. While this show is obviously aimed at kids, it was super engaging, very well voice acted and the visuals are simply superb. While Lower Decks missed the mark for me and I've struggled to get interested in the second season, I'm really looking forward to the next episode here and seeing how the story develops.

Lead voice actor stood out, and of course the venerable John Noble. Only part of the whole episode I felt was slightly clumsy, was the introduction of Janeway - I'll say no more so this review stays spoiler free.

Again, visually are extraordinarily well executed, though I was left begging for a slightly higher frame-rate!
27 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ekko vs General Grievous
kythia28 October 2021
Star Trek has finally finished the journey to become a Star Wars franchise that started with JJ Abrahm's reboot.

Prodigy takes Ekko from League of Legends, adds a bunch of cute Star Wars aliens and pits them against General Grievous and his Sith Overlord in a bacta tank. That is literally the plot.

Its not horrible. Its definitely made for a *very* young audience. Its Star Wars with phasers.

You can call them Kazon and Tellarites all you want, they are still goofy Star Wars aliens. Period.
43 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It looks great but...
asterblasterth28 October 2021
The animation is great. The story is entertaining. The only thing is the vibe. It has more of a Star Wars vibe than Star Trek. That's the only thing I have against it but it's not a big deal.

You should give it a chance.
35 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely clone wars style animation, but I'm confident it will have a unique storyline
avigneux31 October 2021
I watched this on a whim, not really a big Star Trek fan but i enjoyed the recent comedy cartoon lower decks and when i saw this i thought why not initially i wasn't that interested i put it on as background content and my first impression was a Star Trek rip off of clone wars that probably would fall short But as the episode progressed(there being only 2 out at the moment) and i got used to the animation style differences, i realized that the animation itself held its own, not better or worse or a complete copy of tcl.

And i quickly found myself kind of invested in the characters. I think people are being too protective of something they love and aren't open to having such an original series having to take inspiration from other successful sci fi routes. I believe i will enjoy it.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Start For a Kids Program
chuppacabbra7130 October 2021
So I have read the reviews both negative and positive and I have to say that some have merit while others do not. Let us remember that this is considered children's programming and is not intended to be HIGH BROW like Picard or the fun science lingo of Generations and Discovery. Plus EVERY pilot episode is designed to introduced the characters and I would love to see how their story develops. Will they become more complex to satisfy adult viewership or will they keep these kids continuously fascinated by what is out in the cosmos like all children that look up to the stars each night. Time will tell. Now as for the animation, wow! I can't believe there is some much movie quality animation in this episode. Some scenes were brighter than others but over all it does go way beyond most others. Lots of fine details in the background, foreground, and effects. Now I enjoyed this and my wife (not a Star Trek Fan) really liked it but our most discerning critic in our household is our six old son who said,"Is that it? Where are they going? I want to see more!" After all what is Star Trek at it's core but an adventure to inspire the future...
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good for your kids if they love Star Wars
redn_path0129 October 2021
... and if your kids have never heard of Star Trek.

The visual and technical production quality is excellent for a TV show, really nice.

It does not have anything going for adults though, and I'm truly wondering why it is called Star Trek, when every single bit in it is literally Star Wars-like. From the villain tropes right down to the sound effects and aliens.

The inclusion of Janeway in the whole mix feels like an arbitrary last minute decision to justify wedging this into the Star Trek 'Franchise' (apologies for having to use that term) and to try to get original 'Trek fans to take a look.

Well I took a look. You need'nt bother unless of course you'd like more Star Wars material!
22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Guardians of the Galaxy meet Starwars- flooded by fake reviews
budmerman28 October 2021
Nothing about this is Star Trek, maybe later in the development. Its a Nickelodeon show but doesn't seem for kids.

A rag tag group of weird unrelated characters led by fast talking witty jerk. Familiar?

This is a chaotic universe where species are familiar of living among each other where Star Trek is where earth is in the beginning to discover the rest of the universe.
63 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trekking into a new generation!
sailbasd28 October 2021
Well, I liked it! Teens will probably love it. I thought the characters were solid and fresh and there is certainly so much to explore- on the ship, about the characters. More villains, when will they encounter the federation? I can't wait to see what new merchandise this will bring and how this motley crew will grow to become a team!
20 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kids will love it.
neil_schaler30 October 2021
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the shows animation and story, especially with all the bad reviews that came out even before the show did.

As much as I enjoyed the Original Star Trek animated show as a kid do I think this generation will enjoy this show.
19 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.