Spiderhead (2022) Poster

(2022)

Gets the minimum out of the concept
jtindahouse17 June 2022
Your enjoyment levels of 'Spiderhead' are going to require some suspensions of disbelief. You're going to have to accept Chris Hemsworth as a scientist, you're going to have to accept Miles Teller as a prisoner and you're going to have to accept possibly the most unrealistic prison environment ever put to screen. If you can get past those things you should have a decent time.

The premise was a bit of a let down for me. In theory there are some interesting concepts stemming from it that they could've explored, but they seemed intent on not straying too far. The script really does get the bare minimum out of the idea.

Teller and Hemsworth are what keep this afloat. Even if their casting may seem a little silly, their charisma makes up for it. At least one of the them is on screen in every scene. I can see this film totally falling flat without their star-power in the lead roles.

I didn't hate this film, I just wanted more. There was a point where I thought it was actually setting itself up nicely to have a dark and twisted turn. But it never came and what played out was pretty forgettable and uninspired. It's not a terrible watch but don't go in expecting anything game-changing. 6/10.
359 out of 403 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost a Black Mirror Episode.
visionandyouth17 June 2022
Colorful cinematography and spirited editing contrast with the characters' tragic backstories. In the end its a morality tale, one that goes too far and too fast.
150 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't make the most of its riveting premise! [+52%]
arungeorge1317 June 2022
Spiderhead banks heavily on its lead performers, and both Hemsworth and Teller deliver the goods when the plot struggles to. Very early on, you smell a lighter version of Ex-Machina (replace the robot with mind-control drugs), with several random tonal shifts. The writers (Rhett Rheese & Paul Wernick) are known for tickling the funny bone, but I think this film would have benefited from a more serious, psychological approach - which, credit where it's due - it did to some extent. The romantic subplot, while nice to see, ended up being exploited (such a cliché) as expected. The conclusion isn't all that exciting, because by then, Spiderhead has fully embraced its weirdness and is unfortunately stuck between making viewers care and giving closure to the plot.
96 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another, cough, Netflix gem.
Horror_Flick_Fanatic19 June 2022
I can say it is worth a watch. I do like Chris Hemsworth's charismatic personality and it's nice to see him do something other than Thor outside of the Marvel comic book films. I almost didn't recognize Miles Teller. Although I think this was a missed opportunity to have these two guys work together in a much better film. But the film wasn't remarkable, and I don't think anyone will remember it a year from now. As for a sci-fi film, it wasn't a good one. It could have been, but it wasn't.
79 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok, but...
PedroPires9018 June 2022
The premise is great but it could have done much more with these themes, being very predictable on his structure. Chris Hemsworth is great on this one and there is a fantastic soundtrack to listen. However, it feels much longer than it is, being a bit repetitive at times. There is a reasonable number of fun and inspired moments though.
85 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Abysmal ending
Movie_Reviews19 June 2022
Do they not show stuff to an audience before they release it? And if they do: What kind of people does this audience consist of?

The beginning was fairly interesting. The middle did not lead anywhere and the ending was absolutely abysmal.

Good sound track, though.
125 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Catching way more crap than it deserves
jackgdemoss19 June 2022
Spiderhead was a delightful surprise on a Saturday night when I sat down to pick a movie at random on Netflix with my relatives. It is dystopian but familiar, dramatic with some goofiness, and tense without taking itself too seriously. All contradictory statements, sure, but maybe I was just given too much Verbulance and am rambling.
167 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
Waedliman20 June 2022
No, nothing is right here. After 40 minutes, nothing has actually happened. Spiderhead is advertised as a thriller, but it is not. The story, wherever it wants to go, is uninspiredly told, no tension is built up and Hemsworth is clearly miscast. Whatever Netflix was trying to achieve with its recent productions, I don't know, but Spiderhead joins the ranks of tired and cheaply produced films that should simply be ignored.
106 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chris Hemsworth is miscast in Netflix's botched drugs experiment
zameerpro17 June 2022
The result is a movie that is less thought-provoking and more aggressively lame. Hemsworth's charismatic persona and Teller's dramatic performance are not enough to keep this film afloat. Everything culminates in a bonkers final act that's surprisingly awful. Once again, the tone is all over the place as the film ends with a jarring shift to a needle-drop action sequence that feels all over the place in a so-bad-it's-good way. What had the potential to be a darkly funny, suspenseful, claustrophobic sci-fi story amounts to none of that, leading to a colossal miscalculation that you won't care for once the credits roll.
140 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Netflix movie fail
FeastMode28 June 2022
Me: "Netflix makes terrible movies."

Netflix: "Here is another movie with a star-studded cast."

Me: "I guess I'll give it a try"

Rinse and repeat. Streaming services are ruining movies.

Spiderhead has a cool premise that goes almost nowhere. We've already seen the main concept in Westworld, explored much more thoroughly and amazingly. It's very boring with little intrigue. And as a movie, it does not feel cinematic at all. I continue to wonder why streaming services are not able to capture the cinematic feel.

The best part of this movie is the performances by the three leads. But the one I want to single out is Jurnee Smollett. After seeing her in Lovecraft Country, I continue to be impressed as she holds her own with (if not surpasses) her two highly talented costars. I look forward to seeing more from her. (1 viewing, 6/27/2022)
32 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An alright film, but seems they didnt know what they wanted this film to be.
benwilliams199917 June 2022
Firstly, flawless acting performances from the main cast, you can see the emotions switch with the most subtle of facial changes. This film was just, okay. Not terrible, not amazing, just okay for Friday night viewing. But the makers seemingly didn't know what genre of film they were creating. It starts off all light hearted and you're lured into believing its a comedy, then you're fixed within a drama/thriller through the middle, only for it to end as a light hearted comedy in its climax?
66 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MK-Ultra..... the movie.
wisemanfromtowne20 June 2022
Good modern-day sci-fi watch of experimenting on certain subjects in a remote facility the effects of mind control. The study goes predictably south and certain subjects trying to escape after the big reveal. Watchable and forgettable..
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable and BORING
bencrea17 June 2022
Nice sets, that's about it.

For some reason this film just didn't work, cramming a bunch of classic songs for the soundtrack with meaningless montages only prolonged the lag and pain.

Incredibly boring film. I kinda wish I gave it a miss.
143 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Netflix trash
killercola20 June 2022
Netflix has become a receptacle for low effort, low quality films and shows. It's the gold standard of cringe and trash television. As the prices go up the quality continues in a downward spiral. HBOMax is King now. HBO has known for years how to put out a great original series or movie. HBOMAX focuses on quality while Netflix continues with the quantity strategy. Put out a zillion things and see which one sticks. Ugh, I'm ready to dump Netflix.
52 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
snooze fest
ssr200017 June 2022
A boring movie, and some ham perfomance from Hemsworth made it sure this movie won't be a good one.the concept is decent ,but the execution is quite simple but doesn't really create the impact needed for the movie to take off.
83 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Acknowledge acknowledge acknowledge
tqmybbwr17 June 2022
I enjoyed this movie, More so than others and was quite surprised by the ratings. Chris plays the perfect psychotic narcissist scientist. Miles Teller is easy to empathize with and did amazing as usual. The music is on point. The whole premise of this movie is believable, just look into the CIA's past on experimenting with acid on people that had no idea what they were given. There is no length unprincipled scientists will go to get the exact results desired in their hypothesis. Give this movie a shot.
105 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never really amounts to much
cardsrock26 August 2022
An intriguing premise alone isn't enough to push this film into "good" territory. You keep waiting for something really interesting to happen, but it just sort of fizzles out near the end without ever reaching a satisfying crescendo.

Hemsworth's charm is on display and is the highlight for sure. Teller is fine, as are most of the other cast members. The story seems to be building towards some big twist or crazy moment, and while there isn't nothing, I feel it didn't quite justify the two hour expenditure.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash. Utter trash. Like all things netflix now
TankerToad18 June 2022
There was a scifi idea here maybe based on a short story.. Immediately turned to filth trash sex scenes which are abuse and rape. Hemsworth is awful to boot. The way to approach this would have been in a more serious matter. Or maybe just not at all.
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Trash for 2022
yusufpiskin17 June 2022
2022 model netflix film directed by Joseph Kosinski and written by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, based on the dystopian short story by George Saunders.

Actually the new Yorker / netflix joint project...

The producer of the movie is Chris Hemsworth, who is also the producer of the movie.

Other names in the cast are Miles Teller and Jurnee Smollett.

A dystopian prison where the inmates' emotions and thoughts are controlled... this is a 70-year-old cliché. If you trust the director and the actors and think "maybe it will tell a different story", don't get your hopes up.

Whatever Joseph Kosinski did right in "Top Gun Maverick", he didn't do it here.

Or anyway, all the top-gun Maverick success was due to Tom Cruise, not Kosinski himself.

The same thing applies to Miles Teller. If there was another name in the cast of the movie, nothing would have changed. He didn't add anything to his character.

Chris Hemsworthmise is just that famous smile...

The problem of the movie is not that much, the sounds, the cinematography, the editing are all troublesome...
54 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh man... what a disappointment
godmschick18 June 2022
This director got paid and that's all that happened in this film. It's in a bin at Walmart for $5.99 and you'll still return it. The actors clearly were doing the best they could, and the concept was great... but everything else was a joke and a waste of the audiences attention. When you watch this and ten minutes in you think "oh yah but it's gonna get better and more complex because wow this cast is amazing...." Just turn it off because it doesn't. It makes a McDonald's hamburger seem clever and surprising.
59 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hahahahahahahaha what deranged minds could possibly
terrylarosa19 June 2022
Enjoy this celluloid abomination???? Utter unmitigated junk. Hemsworth and Teller can't even begin to save the movie. Looks like they just threw the actors in there and told them to say whatever random nonsense popped into their heads. Anyone that finished this gobbledegook must be a glutton for punishment. Avoid at all costs. How does stuff like this even get green lit???
36 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing beyond Chris hemsworth
grlym-4684918 June 2022
Premise seemed good, but wow was this bad

I hated it from the first 5 min. I kept fast forwarding it and it never met even the lowest expectations.

Definitely not going to bring Netflix stock back up.
31 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wasted premise
baheibayram-6413417 June 2022
It was a good premise but it was executed in the wrong genre. I feel that this should have been a psychological horror.

It felt like the idea and the tone of the movie weren't pulling in the same direction.

The actors' performances were ... Fine. They did the job but this wasn't a career defining role for anyone.

The final confrontation was emotionally lacking, I didn't feel danger for the "heroes" or any menace from the "villain". Maybe if the bad guy had any menacing vibes it would have elevated that third act .

I'm sad to see this movie, I'm sad to see the huge potential of the premise, the star power, the great production go to waste. It was a fun 2 hours but it left me with no desire to watch it again. It would have been a great black mirror episode.
58 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great concept, but needed more meat on the bones.
Top_Dawg_Critic19 June 2022
There really wasn't anything wrong with this film - great directing by "Top Gun: Maverick" director Joseph Kosinski, excellent cinematography, locations and sets, amazing throw-back soundtrack, and perfect casting and performances, especially Hemsworth.

But the downfall to this film, is that for the prime material it had to offer, the 106 runtime was too long, even with the fairly decent pacing. It would've been a perfect short film - almost like a Black Mirror length episode, or, it needed much more drama and conflict. There were many repetitive scenes in basically the only three rooms on set. Everything else felt like filler. It's a shame, because I did enjoy it, but I wanted more, and thus was left unsatisfied with what had much more potential to be added to the screenplay. Nevertheless, the critics went too hard on this one. It's a very deserving of at least my 7/10.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocrity, Netflix is thy name
skinzilla19 June 2022
First, I like Hemsworth in most stuff, so I had some hopes for this flick. But no, another mediocre, boring, anticlimactic piece of Netflix junk full of characters you could care less about, and Hemsworth was totally miscast here. Plus, can film makers PLEASE stop trying to make Miles Teller a thing? He's a mediocre actor with no charisma, yet consistently lands work in big productions despite never contributing to a hit in any way whatsoever. This isn't one of the worst from Netflix, but it is one due straight for the garbage pile.
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.