Bloody Hell (2020) Poster

(2020)

drop the prison
SnoopyStyle20 January 2021
Rex (Ben O'Toole) is flirting with a bank teller when a robbery crew comes rushing in. They kill a security guard and terrorize everyone. A gun falls into his lap and all hell breaks loose. He goes on trial for something during the incident and he spends the next eight years in prison. Upon his release, he is infamous and he randomly escapes to Finland where he is kidnapped by a disturbed family.

This is trying to be like The Evil Dead although Ben O'Toole is not really Bruce Campbell. There is a similar sarcastic tone and that's fairly fun. I still can't get over the prison sentence. I don't see how that is realistic or even necessarily. He could still be infamous without spending eight years in prison and the bank teller can still reject him for his violence. I'm not sure the trial or the prison add anything to the movie except me shaking my head in disbelief.
7 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Insane in the ...
kosmasp30 September 2020
This movie is quite far out - there are things happening that I just did not see coming the way they happen. Which is always a good sign for a movie like this. The main actor is amazing - as good as this role could be played. Well the multiple aspects and sides of the role/character(s) he's impersonating. It visualizes something that to a degree many will be aware of.

Do you believe in destiny? It seems some things have to happen. Now even if you mean well, things may not end up well. But the way this is handled after that ... amazing! How he is perceived, how the legal system works ... and that is all just "foreplay" ... because the main menu has almost nothing to do with that. Apart from being the inciting incident for our main character ... and giving him the incentive to go places ... it does make sense, in a sense. But it also is quite mental in some other senses! And it does not take prisoners - literally. Not for the faint hearted or squeamish for sure!
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was definitely something else...
paul_haakonsen9 October 2021
Well, it can truthfully be said that the 2020 movie "Bloody Hell" from writer Robert Benjamin and director Alister Grierson is something unique. And granted, when I sat down to watch "Bloody Hell" all I knew about it was that it was a horror movie of sorts - which is essentially enough to make me watch a movie - and also that the movie's cover was rather interesting.

And on that note, then I believe that "Bloody Hell" is not a movie that will find a wide appeal to every one in the audience, as this was somewhat of an acquired taste. While there wasn't a whole lot actually going on in the storyline as the movie progressed, the movie was all about style and narration.

For a horror movie then "Bloody Hell" is not your archetypical horror. This is not a movie with jump scares or a lot of cruelty and such. Instead it is a movie about isolation and helplessness, and about being trapped at the whim of a deranged family.

What made "Bloody Hell" work for me was the acting performances, especially the one put on by Ben O'Toole, as well as the dialogue throughout the course of the movie. And I also enjoyed that whole trapped and restrained without any means of escape certain doom aspect that permeated the movie. So writer Robert Benjamin definitely managed to put together something interesting here with "Bloody Hell".

Give "Bloody Hell" a chance, as it might just be something for you, given its unique plot and presentation.

My rating of "Bloody Hell" lands on a six out of ten stars.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much fun!
BandSAboutMovies31 January 2021
Bloody Hell is an absolute blast.

I have no fancy words to add, really - I'll try - but I was absorbed by every twist and turn of this movie.

From its description, "A man with a mysterious past flees the country to escape his own personal hell... only to arrive somewhere much, much, much worse," I wasn't expecting all that much. Imagine my surprise when I was on the edge of my seat from frame one.

Rex (Ben O'Toole, Nekrotronic) is a hero to some and a villain to others. That's because when fate literally fell into his lap during a bank heist, he went over the top wiping out all of the masked criminals, which may or may not have led to the death of one innocent bystander. So imagine his surprise when he has to spend five years in jail, which all seem to lead him to a horrific destiny somewhere in Finland. After all, he wants away from the press and the constant attention he gets everywhere he goes.

Well, the attention doesn't stop once he arrives. That's because he's become the next meal of a family of cannibals that are more Von Trapp than Sawyer family. They've already taken one of our hero's legs and if he stays around too long, that would be all they eat.

Rex has two people on his side - maybe. One is the voice inside his head, which is sarcastic and cruel at times, but does have a vested interest in both of them getting out of Helsinki alive. The other is the black sheep of the family who has kidnapped him, Alia (Meg Fraser). But can she escape the family she has cared for her entire life? And will she run off with a man she barely knows who only has one good leg?

Bloody Hell is a movie in love with film, referencing and quoting so many other movies along the way, but in a way that celebrates the joy of movies instead of making you want to go back and watch something else.
Bloody Dish
Tweetienator29 January 2021
I liked it - Bloody Hell is no ueber-movie but got some fine grotesque moments and fun ideas. The acting is good, the production solid for a B-movie. A crazy blood thirsty evil family and a crazy hero. What more to expect from a horror comedy!? Tasty snack - nothing more and nothing less.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty entertaining and non predictable at times.
Fella_shibby25 January 2021
During a bank robbery, Rex, a fella with the habit of talking to himself/conscience, takes down the robbers and after several gunshots, he successfully secures the entire establishment but unfortunately the whole successful mission ends in a tragic way for which he is tried and imprisoned. After doing his time, he moves to Finland for a break but gets trapped by a twisted cannibal family with a very dark secret.

The trailer n synopsis made it look like a done to umpteenth no of times but the best part is the entertaining factor n the the two twists.

The climax of the bank robbery is non predictable n so is the final sequence when our villains are deciding to flee for the night. Apart from this, the lead actor gave a good performance.

One of the thing i highly disapprove is violence towards kids or kids at peril.
37 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Fun
billcr1226 March 2021
Rex(Ben O'Toole) is a war vet who stumbles on to a bank robbery and becomes a modern day anti-hero. The law does not see him as such, and he winds up in prison unfairly for his bloody payback. He decides to escape to Finland. It is a serious mistake, and he becomes the guest of a very strange family with a boy who needs a daily food substance which is disgusting. The script is funny in a Tarantino way, and I absolutely love this movie. O'Toole is perfect as a man who talks to himself constantly and the lines back and forth are hilarious. This film is one of the best of 2020.
kevin_robbins2 May 2021
Bloody Hell (2020) is an Australian horror movie I recently grabbed off Amazon Prime for $3.99. The storyline is about a man who flees the United States to hide in Finland only to discover the locals plans for him may be worse than anything the US government would ever do to him. This movie is directed by Alister Grierson (Sanctum) and stars Meg Fraser (Leech), Ben O'Toole (Hacksaw Ridge), Caroline Craig (Underbelly), Matthew Sunderland (The Lost City of Z) and Sophia Emberson-Bain (San Andreas). The storyline for this is very fun to watch unfold. The moment the main character wakes up without a leg all I could do was think...I'd be done for. The thriller and intense aspects of the film really work, as do the character interactions. The scene where they start working on the second leg is fantastic and fun to watch unfold. Overall this is an entertaining film that is fun to watch from beginning to end. You don't get a "great feel" for the larger goal of the antagonist, but it is still a well executed picture. I recommend giving this a viewing and would score it a solid 7.5/10.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another worst horror film! Full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Avoid at all cost!
kwenchow27 April 2021
This film start with a girl "Alia" running away from a bunch of men, and she jump into the water scene! As turnout, this film is about a former prisoner "Rex" need to save Alia from her cannibal family! Entire film full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Such as, overuse of the song playing at the background scene, overuse of the flashbacks scene, overuse of the hallucinate scene, overuse of the hanging scene, overuse of the making conversation with imaginary people scene, overuse of the calling names scene, overuse of the dining scene, overuse of the walking scene, overuse of the quoting movie character scene, overuse of the switching from down to up POV scene, overuse of the arguing scene, overuse of the switching right to left POV scene! Make the film unwatchable! All the killing scene in the film have blood at certain point, but overall portray by sideways, and occur in too short of time! Make the film frustrated to watch! At the end, Rex bragging of he killing Alia family to save her! Still have a post credit scene! Olli looking at his family photo! That's it! Another disappointed film!
4 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BLOODY GOOD
jewelch16 January 2021
A bit on the weird side but also really entertaining, you even really have to feel sorry for the main character. yes well worth the watch. James Welch Henderson, Arkansas 1/15/2021
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To us it's a comedy horror/thriller and it was phenomenal!! Sequel please!!!
joiningjt30 January 2021
It's a subtle comedy but it has comedic moments for sure it was like a evil dead 2 kind if feel to it. Loved the lead actor he was fantastic as a matter of fact the whole cast was excellent. It's an original plot and it all comes together with a great ending as well. Extremely close to a 10 it's one of those films you have to just lay back not judge and see it for what it us, a GREAT comedy horror!!!!
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What movie were you watching?
jfgibson7321 March 2021
I really didn't like this movie. A guy tries to foil a bank robbery, but an innocent woman gets killed. Then he goes to Finland and gets strung up and has to escape. He imagines talking to himself a lot. I didn't like ANYTHING about this movie. I didn't like the characters or performances. I didn't like the dialog or cinematography. In fact, from the first moments of the film, I thought it looked like a low budget piece of garbage and that's how I felt the rest of the movie.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Take on a Premise We've Seen Before
Reviews_of_the_Dead6 April 2021
This was a movie that I know I first heard about from Marknado over on social media. It was one of the better ones he watched in January so I put it on a list to check out. I needed to find something to pair up as part of my Odyssey Through the Ones segment on Journey with a Cinephile: A Horror Movie Podcast. I don't necessarily think paired up great, but I wanted to see it so here we are. The synopsis is a man with a mysterious past flees the country to escape his own personal hell - only to arrive somewhere much, much worse.

We start this movie off with a child by the name of Alia fleeing into the night. They aren't speaking English and we learn later that this is happening in Finland. Those that are after her are stating they are family and she can't get away. She tries to jump into the river in order to make her escape.

It then takes us to a bank. In line is Rex (Ben O'Toole). He's trying to make it where he will be waited on Maddy (Ashlee Lollback). Things take a dark turn though when this bank in Boise, Idaho gets robbed. Rex notices another customer has a gun, but when he tries to motion for her to use it, she refuses. This gun ends up in his hands. The movie has an interesting way to telling us, but Rex ends up taking down the robbers. A decision he makes though lands him in court and 8 years in prison.

When he gets out, Rex is a celebrity, but not in a good way. He cannot live a normal life so he goes to his buddy from work, Pete (Joshua Brennan), to collect his things. What he is looking for is his passport. It is here he reveals his plan, to move to Finland and start over. This was decided by shooting a spitball at the map and it landing on this country.

It is at the airport that he is seen by Caroline Craig and her husband of Matthew Sunderland. They state that they're going to get him and that he'd be perfect for their son. A man does relay what is said, but Rex laughs it off. I should also point out here that Rex talks to himself. We see this through his conscious as being another version of Rex. There is a lot of interior monologue, but sometimes he verbalizes this out loud.

When Rex arrives in Finland, a taxi cuts in line to pick him up. The driver is Jack Finsterer and we see he's working with the couple in the United States. Gas is leaked into the back of the taxi and despite what Rex does, he's knocked out. He then wakes up, arms tied above his head and that's not it. This seems to be a family that is behind taking him and Alia (Meg Fraser) is one of the members. There are also her twin brothers of Gael and Gideon (Travis Jeffrey) as well as Olli (David Hill). While talking to his conscious, Rex has to find a way out of here before it is too late. He slowly pieces toether what his true purpose is here and how it involves another member of this family, Pati (Caleb Enoka).

That is where I want to leave my recap of this movie. I think that gets you the basic idea without spoiling anything. Where I want to start is that I wasn't sure what type of movie we were getting here. I knew the title, I knew briefly what I saw on social media about people liking it and that really was about it. I did know this movie went a bit wild, so I was intrigued to see what I was in for.

Where I want to start is how well this movie is written. We get so many reveals that are done without force feeding them. For an example here, I was confused as to why Rex would be trial. He helped thwart a bank robbery. It is when he gets out that we learn something happened that made it excessive force and Rex also has military training. The movie alludes to what happened, but makes you wait for the reveal and it worked for me. Something that happens to him when he's taken makes sense as well to level the playing field.

Shifting this over to this family that takes him should be next. What I love here is that they're actually really normal aside from them kidnapping people. They don't have special training. They're not super strong or anything like that. The family is able to lure people in and take them unsuspecting. They are creepy though, I do have to say that. When I first saw the masks that Gael and Gideon wear made me feel uncomfortable. The only one that seems normal is Alia as doesn't want to be like them. She is interesting on top of that due to a story she is reading to Olli and the implications from it.

Something that I think I should point out here is that this is part comedy. Some of it comes from Rex talking to his conscious. I'll admit there were a few times that this had me laughing out loud and I was by myself. That isn't to say that all of the jokes land for me. There are a few things that they do that does take me out of the movie. Regardless though, this is more of my speed with the comedy and thought that it doesn't detract from the other elements we are getting in this film.

Since I've touched on the comedy, I think next I'll go to the acting. I liked our lead here of O'Toole. We establish that he's a pretty badass character. There is something done here that levels the playing field to prevent him from going 'John Wick' on them and that worked for me. He also brings some level of comedy I could appreciate as it is based in sarcasm. Fraser is solid as this sheltered woman. You feel bad for her and I liked what they did with her character. She's also quite attractive as well. I think that Craig, Sunderland, Jeffrey in both his roles and Finsterer are all good as well. They bring such creepiness to their roles that it is effective. The last person I want to call out would be Lollback. She is in a smaller supporting role, but it helps with the overall story forsure.

Then really the last thing I want to go into would be effects. Surprisingly, this movie doesn't have a lot of them, but it also doesn't need them. That isn't to say we don't get any effects either. The movie is strategic in showing what they can, doing it practical from what I could see and if they can't do something, they hide it. I didn't recall any CGI so if there was, it was hidden and that is well done in my book. I will also give credit here to the cinematography as well to hide it.

In conclusion here, I had a lot of fun with this movie. I heard people enjoying this and I'm glad that I took their lead to see this. This is an interesting take on the slasher genre. We are getting to see a character we establish as being strong and having him be taken against his will. The acting is good in building these characters which helps to move the story as well as bring some comedy to it. Not enough to hurt the tension though either. The effects we get look good and I have no issues there or with the cinematography. The other thing to say is that the soundtrack fit for what was needed as well. I would say this is a good movie in my opinion and one I'm looking forward to seeing again before the year ends to see what I might have missed here.
"Eat it, Pati!"
gedikreverdi28 September 2021
I hated Misery references because I haven't read the book yet (I know I should have it's been decades). The scene where he hair saw his own leg in the fridge when he was trying to kill the giant cannibal brother I really laughed. It was such a dark and funny scene. He stabbed him the severed leg in his throat. He and the girl killed her entire family and flew back to America as a couple. But there was another little brother of her who was left behind at the hospital and he was seeking revenge.

It was really different in a good way. It started with a bank robbery and our protagonist goes full Dexter and kills the bad guys in some questionable ways and does jail time and then he finds himself in Finland as a free man to fall prey to a family trying to feed their oldest cannibal son and the only sane member of the family and he together kill her deranged family (she helped from the cage she was held in by strangling her mother with some whips) and then they become lovers.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
well produce/acted/directed dark violent comedy.
surfisfun17 January 2021
Do not read spoilers reviews. decent everything productions. good cast. decent script. very recommended! this movie would win prizes in horror festivals and i would even think it would be fine at Cinefantasia , or regular theaters!
Bloody brilliant
markthomassintek28 February 2021
REVIEW - BLOODY HELL

I do love finding gems, films I've never heard of that actually turn out to be good.

I a few simple words so you can forget about reading this review and watch this film it is a wonderfully depraved mash up of other genres.

A guy escapes the USA because of a bank robbery that went wrong (no spoilers) so he goes to Finland where all Bloody Hell breaks loose.

A family kidnap him, tie him up and........

Absolutely loved this entire film from the crazy start to the funny end, yes funny because as I've said this is a complete mashup but where other films have failed this just chops their legs off and runs away with them yelling chase me!

Bloody, gory, funny, well worth a watch as soon as you can.

Rating 10 out of 10
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was quick and not satisfying
Neptune16516 February 2021
Suddenly you are in The Bank And Suddenly you are in the Basement. It Make you confused. It's actually not a bad flick, short but pretty straightforward plot and decent effects. At first when watching this movie, I said to myself this better be good! I asked myself that because it seemed cheesy in some ways especially in the beginning because you are not sure what you are about to get you are self into. After watching the movies It's bizarre. It goes from weird to weirder. So, a guy who got famous/infamous just randomly gets gassed in a cab and then kidnapped? How likely is it that such a cab driver can exist in this day and age? It already was less likely in the past and now it's almost zero percent likely and yet in movies we get to see such nearly 100% improbable scenarios.
2 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bloody hell, indeed
Stanlee10721 January 2021
This is such a fun movie & it pays homage to original The Evil Dead series & has that silly Ready or Not vibe to it. It's so unexpected & once I was on board then I enjoyed the ride. It doesn't take itself too seriously & quite meta. It is worth a watch.
Bloody great
danielcereto8 February 2021
Firstly, the movie itself is an unpredictable funny drama based in a horror story. Secondly, acting from the main character is great. Lastly, kuddos for the directors and the original script, simply amazing. To add, if you love horror movies like The Hill Have Eyes and the dark humor from The Hunt this one is for you. Enjoy!
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Horror movie
gab-675991 April 2021
Anything with gore in it is a win for me. Loved the beginning part and the main actor was very funny. But then you saw less of him and his alter ego, and they were the funniest part about the movie. It did get a little long in the middle but it was still worth my time. Best Ausie gore movie I have ever seen. I would definitely watch another movie with this guy in it. As long as he is in majority of the movie talking to himself lol.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bloody hell was bloody good.
whitemanfromtowne26 September 2021
I'm not a fan of horror/gore but I gotta say, Bloody Hell was bloody good. A fresh perspective on gore, horror, and foreign family affairs. No bad decision making to survive (like in most horrorABLE films) tactics, for what it was, the story made complete sense for a change. A decent amount of gore, revenge and payback. A weekend must watch....enjoy.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
F this movie straight to Bloody Hell.
leesimon-263579 October 2021
An anonymous nobody is present during a petty bank robbery in a podunk American town that leaves a single bystander dead, and somehow he becomes as famous as Beyonce worldwide for his relatively insignificant contribution to the crime. Five minutes in and already I hate this. I love horror comedy and I really wanted to like this movie.

Apparently, there are dozens of paparazzi in Boise, ID just waiting for petty nobodies to get out of prison so that every aspect of their insignificant lives can be photographed. Why? Apparently, when you act in self-defense during a bank robbery, you get 8 years in jail. Why? Apparently, the "imaginary exposition friend" is a good choice in movies? No. Just no to every decision made for this movie.

The idiots who wrote and directed this were definitely trying to go for comedy, and boy did it NEVER land. The soundtrack is not funny. The shaky cam is not funny. The "did you get raped in jail? It would be ok if you did, man" was not funny. The imaginary friend was not funny. The juxtaposition of "dark, dingy basement" and "happy, bright family" was not funny. The loud and boisterous and overly dramatic friend trope was not funny. So 30 minutes in, and I hate it more and more.

This was so weak, so stupid, so unfunny. Not creepy, not tense, not scary. No part of this was any good in any way. It was just plain stupid and a waste of your time.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Took a chance and what a payoff
calicut11022 April 2021
I saw this come up and I never rent movies but the trailer looked unique. It was kind of low budget but honestly one of the best action, horror, comedy films I've seen in a long time. The main actor is actually really outstanding. I hope to see him in even bigger films. Wow, take a chance on this and you'll be rewarded too.
A bloody good time
repojack1 February 2021
Isn't it fantastic when you discover a hidden gem of a movie that seemingly comes out of nowhere?

Well that was Bloody Hell for me -- an excellent comedy-horror genre mashup that somehow ended up on my watchlist from who-knows-where.

Great script? Check. Great directing? Check. Great acting? Double check!

Ben O'toole carries the over-the-top movie mayhem like Atlas carrying the world. He plays both Rex and his conscience (who he sees and talks to) with charisma and flair. He balances humor and horror deftly and demonstrates his physicality for a good chunk of the movie as he hangs by his arms from chains where his "feet" (wasn't sure what word to use here ;-) barely touch the floor. I'm sure in real life he was actually standing on something, but that had to be a big effort to film.

It's rare a thing these days when a movie can surprise me and boy does it do that with some WTF moments that I did not see coming.

I have a few gripes but they're fairly minor. It takes far too long to explain what gets him in trouble with his role in the bank robbery, and there are some tonal inconsistencies which frankly is not surprising given how many things they're trying to go for here.

But overall this is a very fun horror-comedy romp that I'll definitely be re-watching.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bloody Fun.
ocosis1 August 2021
This was a lot of fun. I'd never heard of it. Has some nods to other movies, Evil Dead 2, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But it's a horror comedy that is actually funny and quite original. And Meg Fraser, who plays a cannibal family's rebellious daughter...wow.

Good one.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.