The Vault (2021) Poster

(2021)

A Tale Of Two Movies
Instant_Palmer22 March 2021
The first half of the film grabs your interest with intrigue and slick production, but too many holes in the script later, loses you. It's a gorgeously shot caper film, but tries too hard to be cool, and someone should have spent more time plugging those story holes, as one's interest drains by the end.
124 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Y'all are spoiled
rcnadolny1 August 2021
There is absolutely no reason to give this movie so much hate. Could it be better? Yes. But it could've been a lot worse. It's fun and entertaining. The acting is good. It's a story we've seen before, but it has a nice twist and a good pace. The problem with most people watching movies these days, is they've forgotten how to enjoy a simple movie that doesn't have a 300 million dollar budget. Stop being so miserable.
119 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A heist movie worth your time
abisio14 April 2021
Robbing Banco de Espana has been already made on a NETFLIX series and while the challenges are similar, the development is quite faster here (less than to hours) some good suspense moments.

Walther owns a wreck recovery company whose latest recovered load was sized by the Spanish government and stored in that bank. He knows within that load there is are pieces that point to a bigger treasure.

In order to get that pieces back, he lures Thom (Freddie Highmore, a little static but still charismatic) a young nerd but very smart engineer still trying to save the world and more interested in adventures than money.

There are some other English speaking characters involved; a love interest (Astrid Bergès-Frisbey as Lorraine, quite good), a former special units (Sam Riley) and an MI6 shady operative (played by Famke Janssen).

On the Spanish side we the always excellent Jose Coronado (as the bank security chief ) and Luis Tosar as the get anything man. Considering how good they are and that is an Spanish production; they probable deserved more important roles (specially Tosar); but still they get a decent screen time and their brief moments.

The script is adjusted to root for the thieves; so they have to be the "GOOD GUYS" of course.

The first part of the movie where information is being collected requires some suspension of disbelief but still works. The third act when the heist start is very well executed and both sides match their intelligence and mistakes.

The end is well and open joke but satisfying.

In brief is well crafter heist movie; with some original elements and able to keep your interest for almost two hours. Considering other recent movies are far less entertaining; this one is highly recommended.
40 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is a movie, not a real-life story! Just relax and enjoy it !
kicsi-ally2 May 2021
Honestly, I'm not sure I watched the same movie as those negative reviewers!

What is the point of watching a movie if we are constantly criticizing it that this and that would work in real life. Why watch a movie at all? A movies purpose is to entertain and I think this movies has accomplished it's goal!

Honest is it Oscar worthy ? No! But is an absolute enjoyment and a little trill. Just sit back relax and watch it for what is . A movie ! That's it nothing more a movie!
30 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Popcorn movie
mariannelisabeth13 March 2021
Refreshingly easy watch. No politics or "woke" crap just a easygoing popcorn movie. Wanted to give it 7/10 but just because it was free of all 2021 boring stuff I give it a nice 8/10. Watch this without worrying about getting hit over the head with real live crap and just enjoy!
148 out of 254 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing we haven't seen before.
Top_Dawg_Critic21 March 2021
It was good, really well directed and shot, but the story is nothing new. It's basically a tamed down shortened movie version of Money Heist, but not nearly as cleverly or suspensefully written. Plus I feel Freddie Highmore was a poor casting choice. I kept expecting some dumb equations to pop up like they do in the lame TV series he's in, The Good Doctor. Plus he still had that lost-in-space duh look.
55 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
God Save the Queen...
Xstal12 March 2021
... but god help us all as the most conjured, contrived and concocted, made for tv, middle of the road, median, mean and average bank heist story goes bust and burst while flooding, flailing and failing to entertain through an exceptionally unbalanced, uneven, off centre and out of kilter plot - the securely locked door left open for a part two suggested, but let's hope not.
106 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not bad at all
abdullahgokcekesgin13 March 2021
No reason to write any bad reviews pretty decent movie, good acting, world cup scenes were there to make it more "real", well written and a twist in the end
43 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than most of the junk around at the moment
taz10313 March 2021
Its far from perfect but i really enjoyed it and got my fix of bank of spain being robbed whilst i wait for "money heist" season 5
46 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and easy to watch
Mohamad02113 March 2021
Fun easy to watch. it is a successful dual language entertaining movie. English and Spanish actors did a great job cause often it is a fail when there is another language interferes. However the movie delivers in a creative way to tell a story using the world cup event. Loved the music choices. it worth watching.
39 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"It's simple."
drewnes30 May 2021
Heist movie? Count me in. Happens during the World Cup? Yes. Hearing Freddie Highmore speak with his British accent? Gimme. The movie itself: I guess it is alright. They could've explained a few things a little better, but I love seeing bad people get ripped off. Also... Famke Janssen... what happened?
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The World Cup Blend makes it feel like a true story 👌🏾
kenzibit13 March 2021
Beautiful and simple movie to get you tensed and excited. I really enjoyed watching this movie a lot basically cuz it was unpredictable and fun. Acting and dialogues were on point with a wonderful idea of blending it with the 2010 World Cup which for some time made me feel the movie was based on actual events.... Such capture from a movie to the audience is every directors goal and makes this movie a remarkable thing to watch. I highly recommend this if you are into heist movies 👌🏾
34 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
no creativity
bou3zizi17 March 2021
The idea of the film lacks creativity, the viewer feels that he is watching a collection of several scenes from old films. The end is also expected.
32 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid heist movie
joscon-1661620 April 2021
Overall story was interesting. Several very unbelievable parts, but what heist movie doesnt have that. Decent amount of tension but the cast didnt have a lot of chemistry like what there was in the Oceans movies. Still worth a watch if you like heist films.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Huh?
jdticktalk20 March 2021
This is the type of movie you hope is cleverly cast and written.....with a smashing end.....but...alas....not here! There's little chemistry between characters.....much of the writing is improbable.....and the end makes no sense. We're supposed to believe that a 500 year old treasure ended up being buried.....where?....you're kidding.....right?
18 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tedious and slow paced story with a lack of interesting characters...
paul_haakonsen10 August 2021
Ugh, well at least they tried.

I am sort of amazed that writers Rafa Martínez, Andrés M. Koppel, Borja Glez. Santaolalla, Michel Gaztambide and Rowan Athale could collectively managed to churn out such a subpar script. But I guess too many people working on a single thing can become a hindrance.

"Way Down" (aka "The Vault") was showing promise in the first part of the movie, but it quickly descended into mediocrity and then slipped beyond that. I started to care less and less about the storyline as the movie progressed. And it didn't really help much that the characters in the movie failed to reach out and provide me with much of any entertainment. I felt that the character gallery in the movie was just lacking individual personalities and traits, as everyone was essentially a drone.

This movie had potential, but ended up being just another heist movie, and not an overly great one at that. So if you enjoy heist movies, there are far better options out there. Sure, there were some interesting ideas along the way, but the abundance of writers working on the script were just tripping one another along the way, and it made for a less than mediocre movie experience.

It does amaze me that the movie was so boring, especially since it had a pretty interesting ensemble of casted actors and actresses, with the likes of even Liam Cunningham and Famke Janssen.

The movie's story was progressing too slow for my liking, and it was was increasingly becoming more and more difficult to keep having an interest in the storyline as the story dragged on and on at a painfully slow pace.

"Way Down" was by no means an outstanding movie, and this is definitely not a movie that I will be returning to watch a second time, nor is it a movie that I would recommend anyone to rush out the get to watch.

My rating of director Jaume Balagueró's 2021 action thriller lands on a less than mediocre four out of ten stars. There are far better heist movies readily available out there in an abundance. This one came and went without leaving as much as a dent.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a great crime caper movie
tcp297-632-65545830 August 2021
I am not a film critic, a media student or expert in any way. Having said that as an average Joe movie watcher, I really enjoyed this movie, and think it was a great movie to watch on a Sunday night!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misión imposible?
calsols18 March 2021
Spanish version of Ocean's Eleven/Mission: Impossible. But worse.
28 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Boring.
simon-123312 March 2021
Gave up half way through. When you watch halfway through a movie and nothing even remotely pulls you into it, then why watch the other half? There was nothing great about the dialogue, just the same old stuff, no action set pieces to get the adrenaling pumping, no comedy, nothing. If this movie was a colour it would be light grey. There are hundreds of movies that pull of the "Heist" style movie much better. Go watch one of those.
53 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A New Story Based On A Standard Idea
joncj512 April 2021
I'd never seen Freddie Highmore previous to this, so I had no preconceptions of his other work. I see a number of low reviews, but unsure of why. I though this was a good film. Have similar films been made before? Well, what topic hasn't been done before? I found it refreshing, interesting and exciting. I didn't care for the computer geek kid, but I overlook characters I dislike and don't let them spoil the rest of the film. Maybe the idea wasn't new, but the story was. I would recommend this movie to most anyone.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fast paced, worth watching for Freddie Highmore
jacquieavis29 August 2021
This is a gripping, fast paced movie. Ok, the plot is far fetched, but show me an action movie that isn't. It's entertaining and never let's up. Freddie Highmore in a different type of role is great to see. This is a fun movie.
Based on REAL FACTS
alcosta-197-77444227 August 2021
What so many people don't realise is that this movie is based on real facts. There is a legend that an underground vault in the Bank of Spain could be flooded with water from the Fuente de Alcalá fountain right across the street.

Now, without knowing this, the whole movie makes little sense. Having said that, lots of fun and easy to watch. So stop complaining and read more.
Here's the verdict
fwigfs9 August 2021
This is a fun movie with a clever base storyline. The acting was good as well. But this movie is kind of perdictable I mean you can see what's coming for the most part. Though the movie bills itself a slick clever story there are some big holes in the story. So you kind of need to check your inquisitive mind at the door. But overall it's an enjoyable ride!
A Tiresome Plot Reworked for the 25th Time
ancientlight6 April 2021
The movie starts off slowly but little by little it turns into a total dud. The only suspense is trying to figure out how soon it will be over. The ending, if you can put all the pieces together, turns into a total letdown. This is strictly a "Who cares?" movie. However, if you're on a date, your date will do anything to avoid having to watch it, if you get my drift.
29 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GREAT movie
The movie was really fun to watch ,amazing and clever story and idea of the heist.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.