Get Duked! (2019) Poster

(2019)

welcome to Scotland
chrislawuk29 August 2020
Being Scottish, this movie definately resonated with me. Dodgy spiked weed, a hugely divisive social class system, and magic mushrooms - we got it all! Its part of that genre of movies Surviving The Game belonged to. Its a genre with a number of recent examples, this one being my favourite. It really feels like a Scottish movie. Reminds me a bit of Bad Taste or The Wicker Man (original title), those homegrown genre movies made with a vibe of the local people producing them, rather than a big budget hollywood group coming in and trying to do it for them. DJ Beetroot was a highlight; so may disinfranchised young asian lads aspiring towards rap in the city of Edinburgh these days, that really struck a cord. The take on the mushroom trip was funny and kinda accurate, as far as I remember from taking them as a young lad. Its a rite of passage, part of being Scottish. The ending also really worked for me, all round a great wee movie, its very funny.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surreal and wild ... but laugh out loud funny
andyge20 June 2019
This film was the opening gala for the Edinburgh Film Festival and definitely deserved the accolade. Quirky and experimental it has many laugh out loud moments in a truly original spin on the old story of city boys surviving in the wild.The director and writer Ninian Doff has a rare original talent and is definitely someone to watch. You can see his music video influences throughout the film giving it a fresh and pacey vibe. A very talented British cast make the most of the heddy mix of horror and outrageous comedy with Kate Dickie and James Cosmo standouts along with the 4 newcomers playing the boys. Surreal and wild this film has an energy that will make you feel you are on a drug induced high. Highly recommended.
39 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something wild
linkogecko1 July 2019
The sort of films that get called "anarchic" have to strike a tricky balance, often when it's clear the cast and crew were having as much fun as possible MAKING a movie, the actual result gets lost and the audience ends up watching a rambling, aimless and pointless collection of footage. If the balance is struck however, we can end up with a blast of a film that entertains the viewers at least as much as the filmmakers were entertained making it. Thankfully, "Boyz in the Wood" gets it so, so right.

The closest reference of what one could expect coming into this movie is Taika Waititi's brilliant hit "Hunt for the Wilderpeople". Like the NZ film, here we have a showcase of the rugged scenery of the country (the Scottish Highlands in this case) serving as the backdrop for a crazy story involving too-urban-for-the-bush, hip-hop obsessed, cursing teens and overzealous, bored police, along with other random characters that are more set-ups for the next punchline and crazy plot point than they are "real people living in their world" (and there's nothing wrong with that). There's some "Hot Fuzz" (and general Edgar Wright-ness) thrown in for good measure what with its very exaggerated conflict of old and traditional British values and the new generations taken to the extreme and the "big-budget Hollywood flair in small-budget Britain" attitude. Ridiculous psychotropic imagery that is the natural step after the cartoony drug sequences of "21/22 Jump Street" finishes off the cocktail.

If this review comes off as more of a list of references than an analysis of the film, that is because this is not the kind of movie that invites that depth of thought (although like with all forms of art, if you dig you'll find, and there's plenty to dig here with the very old-fashioned villains chasing our young protagonists, echoes of young Scots' ever-stronger desire for independence resounding through the glen, but... meh). This ride is wild, hilarious, brave in its indifference to convention and best when served cold, without too clear an idea what to expect. The previous references are little more than an "if you enjoyed these titles, we suggest the following" algorithm, if you DID enjoy the previous titles, you definitely want be in the hunt for this new game.

P.S., while the soundtrack is brilliant, I must say that for a hip-hop-heavy, Scottish film, this was sadly light on Young Fathers and thus one of the reasons for the just-less-than-perfect score.
42 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny and heartfelt
evitajuliadepauw27 January 2020
Saw this during the International film festival in Rotterdam. It has all the qualities I love. Compelling characters, campy writing, funny jokes and just a sprinkle of social commentary that made it just a bit funnier without being overbearing. Would watch it again if I could. Definitely recommended!
33 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
Golightly67812 September 2020
If you enjoy anarchic cinema you'll love this. Great scripts, great actors, hilarious through out. Little bit horror. Great ending.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had low expectations, had me rolling in laughter
maxgrayson29 September 2020
I went in to this not expecting much, and knowing it's not exactly high brow humor, but I completely underestimated it. Absolutely hilarious, and gets better as it goes. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely trying to catch my breath from laughing so hard. 100% recommend if you're in the mood for a silly movies.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Duke abides.
Pjtaylor-96-13804413 September 2020
With an undercurrent that explores class issues and generational divides, 'Get Duked! (2020)' sees four schoolboys become stranded in the Scottish Highlands, chased by homicidal cultists as they attempt to complete the much-coveted 'Duke of Edinburgh' award. The flick balances humour with horror, leaning heavily towards the former but always respecting the latter. There are no real scares in the thing but it doesn't really matter; no-one should really expect existential terror, grotesque body horror or, even, plain old jump scares in a piece such as this. Unfortunately, there aren't any real laughs, either. Don't get me wrong, there are chuckles peppered throughout. Plus, the flick is generally affable and energetic enough that it isn't heavily impacted by its lack of high-calibre comedy. It's an enjoyable experience that sometimes satisfyingly subverts audience expectation. It's a decent effort. 6/10
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soundtrack alone is reason enough to check this out!
Polnaszek528 August 2020
Boyz in the Wood (yes I'm gonna refer to it as that, deserves that dignity) goes from 0 to 110% gradually getting and better as it goes, so infectiously fun with how many genres it helms and inventively mixes. That rap sequence is just something else! Effectively crafting something wholly original despite being obviously inspired from other established works.

Just a great time, go watch it and if you got Prime at the disposal.
20 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow-burner
StudleyDave29 August 2020
Like a marriage between League of Gentlemen, Psychoville and Sightseers, with a sprinkling of Four Lions, it's a smart dumb stoner comedy from a scattershot, twisted amateur with a laminated certificate

Be warned - it takes most of the film to reach the above conclusion. Up to that point, you wouldn't be wrong in saying it misses the mark. It has a familiar feeling, with nothing new to bring to comedy-horror, but its young cast act well, and add to a slow-burning story
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun movie
DaDonatello30 August 2020
Partial stupid funny, partial spoof, with some outdoor adventure elements all thrown together for a fairly entertaining movie. It has all the typical elements of a comedy so nothing very original, but I really enjoyed the outdoor setting and acting.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun.
bassist_dave3 August 2020
Very original and funny. Loved this film. Great performances throughout the cast, and a very tight edit.
19 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated
rynecortez19 September 2020
This is going to be a cult classic! This was hilarious & enjoyable to watch!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Derivative rubbish
mail-9672731 August 2020
The director has watched Hot Fuzz. There the comparisons end as we are plunged into a laughter free tale that cannot end soon enough.
26 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny 🤣
jimmy-5562718 September 2020
Great movie didn't think it would be as good as it was lot of laughs , and a well sharp fork.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very funny!
sarahh-5387729 August 2020
Silly, sometimes stupid, sometimes clever, and overall entertaining. It made me laugh out loud many times.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edgat wright but without the charisma or humour
sanjeevtoora-8339929 August 2020
A mildly entertaining movie but characters are boring, jokes are forgettable and the final big speech by a main character is flat and empty. Soundtrack is on point though!
18 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wicked fun
luke-6152129 August 2020
Had alot of fun with this one. Nothing else just fun
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So sad
thekindred-7389629 August 2020
So much potential here. Could have genuinely been a great campy coming of age horror/thriller. Some of the film I legitimately enjoyed, but the "hip hop" premise/bit was just worthless and took away from any chance of this being worth watching. It breaks in and breaks up so much. It also wastes so time in the film that could have been put to better use with the characters and definitely the plot.

If the creator/director thought "OMG IM GUNNA B O RIGINAL! I SUCH EDGE LORRRDDDD!" No you were not you just cranked out another cinema meat grinder flop and wasted money and planetary resources that could have made at least a slightly decent piece of cinema.
27 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Insane script extremely funny. Must watch if you are high
abi_asan30 August 2020
Insane script extremely funny. Must watch if you are high. Multiple plots unfolds really.well unreal situations and unreal twists. Worth your time
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
kingshilow30 September 2019
Nerve wrecking overacting from the protagonists meets tons of movie clichés, a dull plot and very unfunny and juvenile slapstick-humor. I was expecting more! Alas the music is kinda cool.
26 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that funny
eddieboj28 August 2020
Genuinely not that funny. Was hopeful of a good comedy horror but was more like watching kids tv.

If you like poo jokes, obvious humour and hammy acting it might be for you, but there's literally nothing below the surface. Disappointing.
16 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much fun
UniqueParticle11 November 2020
An expedition of sorts to get an award turns into a silly good time, dealing with a group of crazies and some drug delight partying. The music is legendary, the bizarre effects are so cool, the cast is awesome, and the entertainment value is superb! I didn't expect to enjoy Get Duked as much as I did; it's a blast of wild entertainment!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DJ Beatroots Get Duked is THE song of 2020
matthewssilverhammer18 October 2020
Get Duked! is so funny, stylish & consistent with its satire, I can't imagine it not becoming a cult hit, one where a group of pals can gather around the TV on an October night & have a good time. Like Shaun of the Dead meets Tucker & Dale, or Midsommar but the disturbia is replaced with broad comedy. Classic conflicts: urban vs. rural, young vs. old, rich vs. poor. It's such a shoe-in for "cult hit", it feels almost constructed to be that. Regardless, it rules.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
had potential but was really bad
synergieliebe29 August 2020
Yo iam much into drugs and dank humour but this was really worse sadly ... could be done so much better ... its like when normies try to act crazy ....
19 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope
mrnerdymcgee28 August 2020
Unoriginal & unfunny. Alice Lowe was great as usual; her brief presence was virtually the only enjoyable moment in the entire movie.
22 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.