The Night House (2020) Poster

Intriguing, not bad at all.
deloudelouvain15 November 2021
Before writing a review I always ask myself two questions. Was I entertained for the entire movie? Was it well made? I have to answer yes on those two questions for The Night House. The story is slow paced but it has a constant intriguing plot that keeps you wondering what is happening. It's not one of those movies you figure out everything from the beginning. There aren't really scary moments, not even jump scares but there's some good suspense and mystery. The acting wasn't bad at all so nothing bad to write about that either. In this genre The Night House is definitely worth a watch.
107 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scream 5 would call this elevated horror
FeastMode8 February 2022
Well-made psychological horror flick with a great performance by Rebecca Hall. It can be considered a slow burn but I was fully invested and never bored. Very atmospheric. Lots of beautiful shots. Some effective scares. Great movie overall and I would definitely watch it again. (1 viewing, 2/7/2022)
82 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hall is remarkable in this excellent modern ghost story.
george.schmidt17 September 2021
THE NIGHT HOUSE (2021) *** Rebecca Hall, Sarah Goldberg, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Evan Jonigkeit, Stacy Martin. Compelling supernatural drama about a recently widowed woman (Hall in a remarkable performance) who begins to question her sanity when she begins to make discoveries of her late husband's past as well as their home which seems to house a sinister presence. Well directed by David Bruckner with just the amount of dread and genuine jolts thanks also to a shrewd screenplay by Ben Collins and Luke Piotrowsk. The pin-pricking score by Ben Lovett & handsomely shot cinematography by Elisha Christian makes all the difference in this modern day ghost story.
139 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good story and execution
85122230 November 2021
Greetings from Lithuania.

"The Night House" (2020) was a very solid story solidly told. I liked the overall idea - it kinda reminded of some past movies (no spoilers), but it still was fresh and intriguing. Execution was also very solid - at running time 1 h 45 min this movie never dragged and i was caught in this mysterious spooky story from beginning till the very end. Also this just might be Rebecca Hall's one of the very best performances ever - she carries the whole story.

Overall, "The Night House" isn't a horror fest, but it was spooky and overall mood was pretty haunting. When everything was revealed i did appreciate the story - it was intriguing, kinda fresh and very well told. Very solid movie.
47 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Night House
loganwmedia20 August 2021
It has the trappings of genre films I like, and how it peels back layers of information is very compelling. That said, I found the ending anti-climactic, and I wanted it to leave me feeling more unnerved than it did.
109 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
creepy and well done
A_Different_Drummer15 October 2021
First there is Hall who, until now, has been punching below her weight class and finally gets to show she can carry a film. A tight script, nicely directed. And some genuinely scary scenes.
64 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
if youre in a state of....
ops-525355 October 2021
Grief, or any other stages off mental imbalance , then take a big breath and consider if youre strong enough at all to devour the frights of loss that unfold in this psychologicalsy drama called the night house. Its a dark , sad and strong story about being victimized due to suicide.

The acting done by rebecca hall is pretty significant, and reading through my register of actresses that ive n in my mind , i cant find anyone that can replace her on the deeds of acting the wway she does. Do also consider that ms hall aint one of my favs, and that should be an insignia of quality if you ask me...

its a story about grief after a suicide of close realations, a husband, that had no signs whatsoever to do so., the plot shows us the estranged wife searching for clue and symptoms on why. Its told in a vast amount of flashbacks, and utterly vivid nightmares that becomes so realistic at moments, and so scary to encounter, that my life as a fly on the wall got the eyes wide shut, prefering to watcth the corner of the screen jusst to avoid the scary moments that are to unfold.

The dream sequences and the knots and tackles to make the strings of thread into a solid rope of a story are just ammazing, the score helps a lot, and the play of light , shadow andd reflection is superb. Its like a near death experience in your dreams, and deep long wandering in paralell universes and shadowlands that may exciste or not. A parapsychologist couldve made a 6 hour documentary just analysing the para-lelles that occuurs in this thrillerdrama.

Aamazing it is, and many thoughts struck my ever so cronical depressive state of mind whiile viewing like the subject of afterlife, ghosts, parallel universe and mirror worlds. Therefore i recommend this flick pointing back to the start of this review, it might be heavy for some. The grumpy old man though might take a float in the boat without any oars whatsoever.
73 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Gradually Escalating & Silently Unnerving Chiller
CinemaClown10 October 2021
With a dreadful, disquieting atmosphere pervading its frames and a dark, disturbing mystery simmering beneath the surface, The Night House makes for a gripping, haunting & gradually escalating psychological horror with a plot that only gets more uneasy & uncomfortable as it progresses, and is powerfully anchored by Rebecca Hall's emotionally engrossing showcase.

Directed by David Bruckner (The Ritual), the story explores loss, grief, depression, loneliness, death & longing through vehicles of horror and is able to keep us invested in the proceedings throughout its runtime with surprising ease. Bruckner fills the space with an unnerving chill & sense of dread and unravels the mystery one step at a time but the ending isn't as satisfying as expected.

The isolated setting, silent camerawork, steady pace & smart editing help ratchet the tension when required while the poignant score keeps reminding us of the crushing weight of the void that's opened up in our protagonist's life in the wake of her husband's demise. And rendering her loss & depression with unfailing precision is Rebecca Hall in what's undoubtedly amongst her career-best performances.

Overall, The Night House is an intelligently crafted, skilfully told, effectively shot & brilliantly acted genre offering that quietly immerses the viewers into its unsettling premise and has a firm grip on our emotions before we even know it. Exhibiting first-rate work on all fronts and further bolstered by Hall's committed act, this atmospheric horror does falter in the last act but everything before it is intense & riveting. Don't miss it.
40 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Genuinely Creepy, But....
themadcamel25 August 2021
Good pace, Brilliantly acted, and above all intense and genuinely creepy......

But,

And this is where it looses me...

Being Vague isn't intelligent.

So many films these days just skip over that little part where it all comes together. Where the plot thickens. They avoid massive plot holes And just look the other way.

There are whole scenes in this movie that have absolutely nothing to do with anything, they are only there to be scary and mysterious, but don't further the plot or are even explained in anyway.

It's A Mystery if the Writer clearly has no idea how to end it?

Would "Seven" have been a better film if we never found out "Whats in The Box"?

Anticlimactic

Leaving the viewer to fill in the voids is lazy storytelling.

Rant over.
183 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hall is great in a complex and layered horror film that can still scare
jtindahouse10 September 2021
After an extremely poorly timed lock-down in my country days before 'The Night House' - one of my most anticipated films of the year - was due to come out, I finally got the chance to see it yesterday. Getting overly excited for an upcoming film is rarely a good omen. I find that films like 'Midsommar', where the reality actually lives up to the hype, are rare. 'The Night House' was still an excellent film, but it wasn't quite the masterpiece I had been hoping for.

Rebecca Hall is very good in this film. She has a very complex and demanding role and she nails almost every scene. She is basically asked to carry the entire film on her own too. None of the other roles are overly significant and are more just there to guide her journey along.

There are some decent scares in this film including one that got my heart racing. The film isn't a conventional horror in any sense. It isn't looking to make you jump every chance it gets. But when it does have one of those scenes it does it very well.

It plays into the story somewhat, but there are some misleading dream sequences that I thought were a little cheap and a film this classy didn't need them. It's a small bugbear though. I had a very good time with 'The Night House' and even if it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped I'd still highly recommend it.
47 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Effective ghost story, especially the first half.
johannes2000-121 September 2021
For the first hour of the movie I was very much intrigued by this slowly but effectively unfolding story, getting more and more bewildered, just like main character Beth, by the weird and scary goings-on. The photography is great, and beside a nice sinister atmosphere, there are multiple jump-scares to keep you on the edge of your chair. Rebecca Hall carries the whole movie admirably, she's totally convincing, first as the grieved and forlorn widow of a husband that out of the blue committed suicide, subsequently as the exasperated woman who thinks she's losing her mind. She's not trying to win our sympathy with her aggrieved and angry behavior and her heavy drinking, but you do team up with her when her world turns upside down on her.

Unfortunately in the last half hour, when you expect that all loose ends finally will come together, the story went totally overboard, every other new thing that Beth finds out about her husband only made the narrative get more and more incomprehensible, and at last the weirdness and confusion escalated into a conclusion that was really too mind-boggling, at least for my simple brain.

But maybe expecting some logic in a supernatural ghost story is a bit naive anyway.
34 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to the House of...
Xstal5 October 2021
... Frightening, Unnerving, Nightmares! The widow of a shock suicide is haunted by dreams and reality from the past, and the present. A towering performance by Rebecca Hall makes all the difference in a story that will leave you scratching your head and your chin but for all the right reasons.
32 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haunting Tale of Depression and Greif Manifested
Reviews_of_the_Dead31 December 2021
This was a movie that was getting quite the push. I've been going to the theater a lot as of late and both of the ones I go to were showing the trailer. It was even popping up on streaming services with commercials as well. Jaime and I got the chance to see this when the Gateway Film Center had an advanced screening to which we were able to get passes. I've also now given it a second viewing to see where I sit with for my year end list. To get into the movie itself, a widow begins to uncover her recently deceased husband's disturbing secrets.

We start after the funeral of Owen (Evan Jonigkeit). He was married to Beth (Rebecca Hall) and she returns to the house they shared. It is even more interesting that he built the house as well. As someone who just lost their spouse, she is struggling. She has a restless night. There is a knock at the door that terrifies her. When she looks out, she thinks she sees someone. The problem is that there is no one there.

Beth is a teacher and she shows up late to meeting. Her best friend is also a teacher in Claire (Sarah Goldberg). She is shocked to see Beth, but Claire is glad she is keeping busy. We get an interesting scene from here where Beth is looking at things on her computer, glances at the clock and then dozes off. She shocked awake by a knock at her classroom door. She lost time and there's a search for handguns on the screen of her laptop. She has a testy talk with the mother of one of her students from there.

More creepy things happen to her as well. She finds a watery footprint on the stairs up from their dock. Music turns on in the middle of the night. She also gets a phone call from her dead husband's phone. When she looks out to the lake, she believes she sees him standing there, naked. This causes her to find his phone in the items she is getting rid of, but there isn't a text or call from him. What she does find though is a picture of a woman that looks a lot like her.

This causes her to look more into things where Claire tells her not to. She believes that Beth should just let sleeping dogs lie. Things get quite weird when one night she gets into the boat and sees a house much like hers across the lake. The problem is we've seen earlier there is no house over there, just woods. The more she digs, the darker things become and her husband might not have been the man she originally thought.

That is where I'm going to leave my recap as I don't want to spoil this movie. I also believe that people should seek this out. I had quite the experience in seeing this movie. If you know me, I'm sucked into the story. This movie pulls us in at first with the emotion. We have Beth who thought things were good between her and Owen. He was the rock. She was the one who dealt with depression, but he is the one who killed himself. Plus, there is a line in the trailer that he did it with a gun she didn't know he had. There is more to this story though.

There are elements here of the supernatural. Owen has a sketchbook for plans as it seems like he was a foreman or worked construction or he was an architect, something along those lines. As Beth goes through it, it seems normal. The deeper she goes though she finds plans like their house, just a mirror to it. She also finds that he had books about the occult. This is something else she didn't know her husband was into. What I like is that there is a way to look at this as a supernatural thing. We could be dealing with a mirror of our own world where we have our characters, but just a darker version of them. This could be parallel worlds as well here. Another thing is that there could be a darker entity that Beth fears is after her. There is another way to look at this movie as well.

The other way would be that this movie is an allegory for depression. Beth admits that she deals with this. Owen was her rock, but I could see that her condition could have worn on him. There is also the idea that the things he is doing could also have weighed on him, leading him to do what he did. This dark entity that Beth believes she sees could be her depression as a manifestation into a demon of sorts. All the supernatural things happen to her only. At the end of the movie, this is what I told Jaime where she believes it is the other explanation that it is supernatural. What I like here is that the movie allows you to decide.

What I think makes this movie work though is the performance from Hall. She does great at being this character that just has had her world shattered. She is trying to hold things together. In dealing with her grief, we see her get angry and then depressed. It is things I've gone through myself and it makes it more believable. Goldberg is solid as her friend who wants to be there for her, but Beth isn't ready. The same can be said for Vondie Curtis-Hall who is taking on the character of Mel, a family friend. Jonigkiet is interesting as Owen. He is dead at the beginning, but we see things play out with him when in 'the night house'. He has an intense look that fit. Aside from that, I thought the rest of the cast rounded this out for what was needed.

Next, I'll go to the cinematography, effects and the soundtrack. For the former, they do some good things with the atmosphere. The framing works for things and part of the effects come into play there as well. We are getting dream sequences or hallucinates that made for some creepy imaginary we see. They use forced perspective that is one of the scariest parts of this. I think both aspects work together and are effective. The atmosphere is also built by the soundtrack and sound design. There is a jump-scare in this movie that got me. It made my chest hurt. It even got me again with this second viewing. This normally doesn't happen so I will give credit.

So then in conclusion here, I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. We have an interesting story here of dealing with a realistic tragedy. It is then being taken into a potential supernatural way of looking at things. I like the commentary here regardless of how you read the movie. The acting from Hall is great and the rest of the cast helps direct her to where she ends up. The atmosphere is solid with how things are framed, the effects used and the soundtrack to build on that. This has been one of the better movies from this year. I'd rate this as a good movie that is bordering on being great.

My Rating: 8.5 out of 10.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needs more Richard Thompson
jfgibson7321 November 2021
This movie got under my skin. I am sure that a lot of people who watch it will have some major issues with how some things are handled. I wasn't 100% happy with all the choices the filmmakers made. It feels like some of the reveals could have had more of an impact if they were handled differently. However, I felt that overall, it was very effective at building and maintaining suspense. It is rare to find a scary movie that actually makes you feel something, but this one kept me anxious much of the time. I liked the lead performance, also. Even though I thought the main character did some unlikeable things, I appreciated that she didn't react to everything with typical horror movie stupidity. So for me, this film stands out. I don't know that it is one I will enjoy watching back, but as a first viewing, I enjoyed the experience.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rebecca Hall Mesmerizes In A Chilling Horror Outing
robfollower2 September 2021
I found out about this film through its movie poster mini-billboard that was on display in the movie house I frequent . I took a photo of it many months before the film was released . The aesthetics of the art work immediately drew me to anticipate this art-house horror. I was not disappointing !

Rebecca Hall is tremendous in David Bruckner's tense, twisty cerebral , thought-provoking psychological horror thriller. In The Night House, her impassioned dedication to her craft is on full display. The script affords Rebecca a rich and resonant role, and Hall takes full advantage of this opportunity, delivering what very well may be one of the most memorable female performances in recent horror history. Yes she is that good. I will be seeking out every role she has done.

The film follows Beth (Hall), a teacher who was recently widowed after her husband Owen (Evan Jonigkeit) died by suicide. Although sudden solitude can bring about nightmares and uneasiness in its own right, Beth, who suffered with her own crippling depression when her husband was still alive, is convinced that her terrifying dreams and the strange sounds that she hears during her waking hours are not simply due to imagination. As she sifts through her deceased loved one's possessions and discovers clues about his possible secret life, she realizes that there is something more than grief waiting for her in the optical illusions that lie around every corner of the home.

The new horror movie The Night House is an unsettling blend of ghost story and psychological terror - the kind of film that leaves audiences wondering what the ending really means. While some jumps are featured here and there ,and are usually effective in their own right ; most of The Night House is designed to unsettle and disturb. The cinematography lends it self to the brooding and malevolent atmosphere splendidly .

At the helm by future (Hellraiser) reboot director David Bruckner, is definitely much more in line with a horror movie taking a more cerebral approach, building its scares up slowly, and going for creeping out the viewer over startling them. I think Bruckner is a promising up and comer.

The filmmaker puts a formidable visual game of mirrors into practice, which fits beautifully with the story's unsettling conclusion. Enhanced by Rebecca Hall's gripping central performance, The Night House offers atmospheric horror that engages intellectually as well as emotionally. First class horror cinema . 8.5 /10.
33 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rather underwhelming.
Pjtaylor-96-1380447 November 2021
'The Night House (2020)' is, frankly, just a bit uninteresting. It isn't exactly boring, per se, but it certainly isn't all that compelling, either. It's, essentially, saved by a handful of effective and somewhat distinct sequences, alongside a confident central performance and some solid cinematography. The mystery at the movie's core is occasionally intriguing, but its answers - and some of the steps taken to reveal them - are generally disappointing. The ending, in particular, is rather anticlimactic. To be honest, it doesn't really finish anything off, even though it does reveal most of the narrative's secrets. This doesn't feel as though it was done on purpose; it's almost the opposite of something like the thematically resonant cliffhanger that finishes off 'Halloween (1978)', for example. There are some inventive visuals and some intriguing ideas, don't get me wrong. It's intermittently entertaining. Ultimately, though, it's just a bit underwhelming. There isn't really a proper theme and none of it is actually scary. It's a decent effort, but not much more. 6/10.
27 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, this was awesome!
paulclaassen5 December 2021
I went into this movie not knowing what it was about or having seen a trailer. Boy, was I in for a surprise! This was awesome!

Rebecca Hall stars as Beth, and delivers a FANTASTIC performance. Beth recently lost her husband to suicide. The incident is shrouded in mystery, and the mystery intensifies as Beth discovers more clues. This was such an engaging movie, I found myself glued to the screen wanting to know more, wondering what would be discovered next, and what Beth's next move would be. Beth is a very strong character, but also effectively portrays her vulnerability as a widow needing answers.

The film then suddenly changes direction, becoming nerve shatteringly creepy. I mean, bloody hell, it gave me gooseflesh! To a certain extent, the film reminded me of 'The Invisible Man' - also from 2020. 'The Night House' has a good script with stunning visuals. I wonder how many people will get the ending... If you don't, watch it again and pay close attention to a story Beth tells her friend, Claire, somewhere around the halfway mark. I absolutely loved this film!
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting concept but...
borgolarici18 October 2021
The core concept of the movie is extremely interesting but it remains very underdeveloped, so that in the end we're treated to a very standard (albeit beautifully filmed) possession/haunted movie.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you enjoy "atmosphere" in horror movies, then this one's for you! [+68%]
arungeorge139 October 2021
I will mostly remember The Night House for Rebecca Hall's excellent performance as a widow trying to unfurl her dead husband's secrets. Not only does she successfully drive the film to its twisted supernatural finale, but she also makes us root for her. The details are revealed in a slow-burn fashion with just the right amount of jump-scares. The Night House is also a film that looks visually rich and boasts a solid soundscape. The final act borders on the frenetic and is a bit rushed compared to the rest of the film, but it still feels like a major storm has rushed past.

It wouldn't be wrong to remark that David Bruckner pays more attention to evoking tension than fixing it. Multiple questions pop up towards the end, and they're mostly answered in a hurried but convincing way. As the film revolves around an inexplicable suicide, it tries to bait the viewer with various tangents at different junctures cleverly - some clichés are neatly subverted. Bruckner creates an atmosphere that's equal parts creepy and mysterious, using close-up shots of Hall to scintillating effect. The way he characterizes and captures Death is impressive. The Night House is one of the more engaging atmospheric horror flicks of the year, no doubt!
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
[6.9] Almost pulled the trigger. Almost!
cjonesas9 January 2022
A movie that besides Rebecca Hall stunning performance and her acrobatic "voltige(s)" lacks in almost every other matter. Also worth noting is the thrilling and "neuropathic" score which fits quite well with the flow and related scenes.

It heavily lacks in the logic-depth, horror and ending section and as such, after ending, it leaves viewers mostly to completely unsatisfied.

Nevertheless, worth watching for Rebecca Hall's near tour-de-force alone.

• Screenplay/story: 6
  • Logic: 4
  • Flow: 7
  • Horror/thrill: 6
  • Ending/closure: 5.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing mystery dealing with emotional loss.
sbweightman27 August 2021
A serviceable horror film about dealing with loss that doesn't really stand out, except for the great emotional performance from Hall. The mystery unravels at a good pace, the setting is well use and it has a satisfying ending, but it wasn't really scary or shocking and it was more intriguing than creepy or disturbing.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I hear dead people
kosmasp30 July 2022
It actually is only one - so no pun intended, especially if you think this is anything like the Sixth Sense. Still I always look for puns and something to have a fun thing going for it. And maybe direct your attention to something that may or may not be important.

But my vague description of what is going on aside, the movie is really creepy. It may have scenes in it, that feel like the movie could have done without. But in the whole structure of it they are more than necessary. Especially considering what the movie suggests is happening - or what we perceive and the character is experiencing.

There are things that should be able to surprise you. The acting is top notch - and you will keep guessing, why things are happening and what ... well the message is. And all the while the answer was ... right there, but also out there ... or beyond there. Whatever you want to call certain things.

There is a reason the movie got a positive vibe around it. If you like horror movies that have a mood that is build slowly but still with effective shockers in between ... well you could do way worse.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Leading Lady Brings Lots of Thought And Appreciation For A Realistic Thriller
rgkarim20 August 2021
LIKES:

Great Acting: The movie focuses a lot on a character centric plot and challenging the psyche of our main character Beth. For such a heavy focus on characters, that means a good acting set of skills required and I think the cast did and exquisite job of bringing their characters to life. Vondie Curtis-Hall does well in his role as the concerned neighbor, nothing too over the top or a masterpiece, but certainly a good chemistry for the time he is on screen. Goldberg as the best friend has her elements as well, and I liked the more serious conversations of that friend trying to snap the main character out of her potential psychosis to get her back on track. It's really Rebecca Hall though who gets the most shout outs given she is practically a one woman show. Hall has to do a lot of acting and reacting with herself, and I'm impressed in the levels of human emotion she pulls out in her time on screen. Drunk stupors and rage over the guilt of her loss, has that balance between forlorn and animalistic carnage that felt very realistic. Her ability to get lost in the fog of depression and piecing the clues together to try and overcome the said grief that plagues her. And of course the pure terror she gets in the potential of being haunted was a smashing success for this reviewer. Hall's acting is the keystone to much of the mood of the movie and I was very happy to have a strong lead play the central role

Creepy Atmosphere: What worked for the horror element of this movie is just how realistic the haunting feels compared to so many of the other films in the genre. Beth's journey is not in some desolate town, a dank cave, or abandoned warehouse that she stupidly tried to conquer. No, the film is in her home, and that element of safety is quickly compromised as we watch the paranormal activity subtly climb in and challenge her comfort in this very dark time. The slight noise changes, the hint of something in the dark, and those familiar signs are brilliantly carved out to push your creep factor up, perhaps to the point of wanting to sleep with a light on when you get home. The realistic approach certainly keeps that element going and you just wonder what the next blanket will be ripped away during the course of the film.

The Presentation: What also helps add to that element of horror is the presentation this movie leans heavily on. If you read the premise, you'll see that The Night House is all about challenging the psyche of our leading lady, as every time the horror elements happen she wakes up and wonders if it is a dream. Psychological thrillers can do this element brilliantly under the right direction and I think Bruckner succeeds in keeping you guessing if it's real or not. Rather than doing it to the level to mess with your mind and distract you from the other story elements, they keep the challenge under control allowing you to still dive into the other elements of the story and the mystery beneath it. Speaking of which....

The Mystery/Layering Elements: The Night House has an interesting mystery that is ever evolving, always baiting you further to uncover the truth between the opening events of the movie. Every act of the movie gives you a little more insight into the mystery, but wrapping it up in the psych component mentioned above. As the truth starts to come to light, the feeling of the movie continues to change as you determine what is really plaguing Beth's life and is it real. The film gets a nod to the curvy story it's telling, with leads helping guide one way and then changing to be a twist that feels very much like a decent drama book. I liked the tale's teases that were never too diverting or out of whack to screw up the pacing and focus of the tale, so well done there.

Meaning/Deeper level: That artistic feeling is indeed still baked into the movie, but not to the point of consuming the entire film and getting rid of the elements that make horrors entertaining. Beth's journey may indeed one part happening in the real world, but it's also a nice dive into how people face the darker fathoms of life. The doubt, the searching, focusing on what is next while battling the past and what is missing is a deeper dive into human pieces that again works into the subconsciousness of the story without getting in the way. So well done.

DISLIKES:

Somewhat Predictable: Though there are "twists" thrown in, the tale is rather a straightforward shot that you can flesh out rather quickly. Horror elements struggle in the unique aspect given the volume and time the genre has existed, so don't expect the levels of mind blown that Hereditary did.

The Pace is Slow and A Bit Boring: I think the category speaks for itself, but this is a movie that does not necessarily move in a style that will keep most people awake at night. Fans of the horror movie where there is a victim every 10 minutes are not going to enjoy this film, nor will the audience looking for jump scares or a monster appearing frequently like something from the Syfy channel. The Night House has a pacing that again feels much like a book, working to build the moment and character up, while setting the scenes up for a truly challenging experience. And though it accomplishes this well, I think a few more elements of the other horror movies could have been included to keep the pace up and give us some excitement instead of just slogging through like we had. Not the worst pace by far, but just something to tweak in the future.

Uncomfortable, but Not Truly Scary: The movie is not the scariest piece to come to the Big Screen, and did not leave my mind reeling in fright/shock at what came. Fans of this film are again going to be subjected to more story than scares and I can't say this movie's ending really had me on the edge of my seat. When the truth finally reveals itself, you'll appreciate the characters more than the scary element, which was a bit underwhelming given all the potential it had. Though the atmosphere is creepy and kept in theme with the movie, I do have to say I would have liked a little more pizazz in the final revelation and the divisive ending it may bring to the audience.

The VERDICT: The Night House succeeds in many levels as being an alternative approach to the horror movie genre. A fantastic central lead is the true backbone of the movie and Hall's performance and nearly one woman act gets a high round of applause from this reviewer. The tale itself is stacked in more details and layered with elements that together form an engaging mystery, a bit of a thriller/drama, with some horror undertones, something I very much enjoyed in my time with this film. Take in the creepy atmosphere alongside the presentation of real vs. Not real and you again get a combination that only further elevates the movie. However, there are still some edges to have shaved, primarily the fact the movie's scare factor is not that impressive and the pacing feels a bit slower given the potential they tried to build up. As the truth is revealed, it takes a bit more of the psychological side that fits with the tale, but does not leave your mind blown or scarred in the process. Sure , you might sleep a little better at night, but that wow factor was missing for me in the long run, especially with the potentially ambiguous ending. Still the film gets some nods for quality and points for not taking too long to tell this deeper tale. My scores are:

Horror/Thriller: 7.5 Movie Overall: 6.0.
32 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Rebecca Hall...
Thanos_Alfie10 October 2021
"The Night House" is a mystery Mystery - Horror movie in which we watch a widow trying to continue her life after the loss of his husband. Soon she starts finding out some disturbing secrets about her husband that will change her world for ever.

I liked this movie because it had a very interesting plot and it combined very well mystery with horror. The interpretation of Rebecca Hall who played as Beth was simply outstanding and she made the difference. The direction which was made by David Bruckner was also very good and he presented very well his main character, her feelings and what she has been through. Finally, I have to say that "The Night House" is a nice, interesting horror movie and I strongly recommend everyone to watch it because I am sure that you will be amazed both by the interpretation of Rebecca Hall and by the interesting and mysterious plot.
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lead actress carried this movie all the way to the end.
finaldestination-g26 August 2021
First half of this movie was decent and great atmospheric horror, second part is bad, too messy and convoluted, I just didn't care for it at all. The ending was even worse as in it doesn't give any type of explanation or closure to the storyline, feels like the writers didn't know what to do so they cut it randomly. The only thing going for this movie is the lead actress who carried the movie, she's talented and amazing at this role, and she is the reason I gave this movie a 5, without her performance I wont even consider a rating of 2.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.