Fear Street: Part Two - 1978 (2021) Poster

An Upgrade
taylamell9 July 2021
This was so, so much better than Part One. There's one exposition scene that doesn't fit, but it's over almost as soon as it starts. The film is consistent throughout, isn't afraid to be brutal, and finally delivers on the tone the trailers promised for this trilogy.
219 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I agree, this one is a lot better than Part One.
katefrichardson9 July 2021
Part One had such a bizarre tone for me when I watched it... I didn't know who to root for. I kept wondering why all of the characters were so emotional, angry, and annoying... and yes, the constant 90's nostalgia music being shoved down our throats I thought was too overwhelming. Trust me, I noticed it too lol.

This one however, I thought kept it pretty lean... by continuing on Part One in the beginning with the C. Berman character starting her part of the story... enough to keep you intrigued for what's to come.

And it doesn't disappoint.

Sadie Sink did a fabulous job, and the rest of the cast did as well. Not a lot of whiny dialogue, and you got to know each of the characters in a more relaxed way instead of everyone simply yelling at each other all the time like in Part One.

I was glad to see that the story in Part Two had mostly to do with what happened to C. Berman, and included none of the characters from the first film (minus in the bits in the beginning and bits in the end, respectfully.)

And it's set at a camp right?!? Especially back in 1978... I mean, c'mon man! That camp full of all of those kids back in those days in 1978 would be ripe for the pick in' for a serial killer. And this film doesn't cut back on the slasher flick-type gore either. You'll be satisfied, I assure you.

Again, unlike Part One I really didn't find myself rolling my eyes once. Great addition to the story!

Overall, looking forward to Part Three after this!!
141 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was fun when you don't take it seriously
itskimjanta9 July 2021
If you watch it as a regular slasher flick instead of comparing it to the book, it's actually much more fun to watch. Not everything has to be taken seriously lol.
131 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the previous movie
talazcoil9 July 2021
I have to say that the second movie it's much better than first fear street movie.

It was more interesting and scary.

But there are still things that need to be improved.

Really recommend.
102 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Part 2 better than the first
cullengirl4569 July 2021
I'm glad I decided to give part 2 a try. I didn't like part 1 very well, but 2 definitely made up for it. I love the whole summer camp person gone crazy story, even if it has been used five million times. This was pretty good.
79 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'78 is better than '94
Stevieboy6662 August 2021
Part two of the Netflix Fear Street series goes back to summer camp in 1978. Movies such as Friday the 13th and The Burning spring to mind here, though they were vastly superior. Impossible to capture the feel of a Golden Age Slasher movie (late '70s to mid '80s) but a good effort by the makers. Perhaps a bit too long but there is some good gore, including a very graphic axe in a head, and Sadie Sink is excellent as heroine Ziggy Berman. Also good to see some back story for cop Nick Goode. Nice soundtrack , including Bowie, Cat Stevens and the Buzzcocks, though it could have been better. Roll on 1666.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than part one
danielcereto15 July 2021
This second movie is far better than it's precursor. Just introducing a few changes and focusing on being a slasher, gets a decent product. Inferior to Friday the 13th but still watchable. At least, this movie is what people expected from part one. Obviously, It's not original, it's not the best slasher, but it has what fans want: blood, fun and nostalgia.

On the other hand, worst part is when the kid and the girl from part one show up. Total anti climax.

Anyway, I really recommend watching this one, far from perfect but better than part one.
47 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really enjoyed it!
devonleighjohnson9 July 2021
The atmosphere is great for late night and the kids are believable as a real, diverse group (not glossy like the cast of Riverdale or Gossip Girl). The next installment looks incredibly promising!
75 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was so much better than the part one
Wanderer1239 July 2021
First of all, I didn't like the part one but still was waiting to see this one because of Max from Stranger Things. And I am so happy I did because this one was soo damn good. I even cried at the end and I didn't know anything. Didn't even see the trailer so until the end I was shocked and amazed by the twists and everything. Now, the third part seems even more interesting. Something tells me that maybe Sarah Fiere isn't the witch everyone think is. Maybe some other witch or curse iss causing this. Anyways, we will find out soon in next week.
51 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sadie Sink shines
aidanratesmovies9 July 2021
Improving slightly upon its predecessor- and proving to be even more entertaining- Fear Street Part Two is still a bit uneven, but the sum of its parts manages to bring along a familiar but engaging ride. I was much more impressed with the acting in this one than in the last one. It's nothing incredibly profound, but Sadie Sink is just perfectly cast in the lead role of Ziggy- and the other supporting actors never feel like they are forcing their performances despite their thinner characters. The film is incredibly entertaining and does add a bit more to the potential and worldbuilding that the first one set up, which I think they did a good job on. The issue lies more in the story of this film itself, as it takes the steps it needs to forming its story, without providing anything truly original or memorable. It's beginning, although partially necessary, feels like it's used as nothing but to kill time- and the majority of the film feels rather pointless in the trilogy's plan- as we don't get to anything truly important until the end. Also, just a small thing, we didn't need to hear Cherry Bomb three whole times throughout the course of the film- it's a good song and all- but seriously it just feels forced. Despite all that though, the film is moving with its relationships at hand, and truly allows you to care about the characters on screen even despite their flaws- a great improvement from the melodramatic writing of the characters in the first film. In the end, Fear Street Part Two 1978 is a decent sequel and decent film with decently sized flaws. It's far from the potential it could have had, but like the last one, still manages to be a solidly enjoyable film.

My Rating: 7.3/10.
37 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining
laurenjfree9 July 2021
The 70s camp theme didn't quite deliver as much as I was hoping, however it's a lot of fun to watch the story come together. Much like its predecessor, this movie struggles to feel like the decade it's based in. Which is a real shame because I could see these becoming cult classics if they pulled off the retro look. I preferred 1994, but Sadie Sink was a joy to watch on screen, she really carried the movie. I'll definitely be watching 1666, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, olden days horror movies scare the crap out of me!
43 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than part 1
hoodho19 July 2021
I actually felt emotions for the people involved this time. This one was infinitely better than the first with much better acting.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun Little Watch
coeluracat9 July 2021
Having seen Fear Street Part 1 I did wonder if this one would basically be much of the same, but with a 70's music score. I was pleasantly surprised to find this one was better than Part 1.

There is only so much that you can do in a slasher movie, that hasn't already been done. Normally there is minimal story line, lots of screaming and bloodshed and possibly a single survivor at the end - no spoilers there. This 2nd instalment is set in a 'Summer Camp', so quite reminiscent of Friday the 13th, only this time the addition of the kids makes for more blood spillage.

The thread of story line woven through the trilogy keeps you hooked, as you learn a little more each time. It's also interesting in the way that the story is in reverse, instead of starting at the beginning.

The acting was really quite good, given the ages of those starring. Far better than some I have seen lately where teens have been played by twenty/thirty somethings who are so wooden and stilted they are painful to watch.

My one big gripe is that I know filming at night is supposed to make it more frightening and to build up tension but that fails completely when the audience can't see a thing or barely glimpses what is happening.

If you are into the old 'slasher' type movies you will probably find it entertaining, for younger viewers, expecting the big production CGI horror, it will no doubt be underwhelming.
38 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than its predecessor.
Fella_shibby10 July 2021
This one has a good setting which kinda transports us viewers to the late 70s n early 80s slashers a la the camp ones.

This time they showed some brutal slashing via an axe but i am happy that at the same time they restrained the violence towards kids.

The only crib is that there is no nudity n the makers tried their level best to hide nudity which kinda looked too forceful.

Can someone tell me why there wasnt lottuva poop inside the tunnel underneath the outhouse.

Hope they show some good atmosphere n terror in the final chapter.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Take It or Leave It
ShesGotATicketToRide10 July 2021
Mostly everyone can agree: better than the first but is not breaking any new horror movie boundaries.

The villain in this movie was plain. A guy with an axe is as generic as you can get when it comes to horror movies bad guys. No where near as memorable as other slasher film stars like Jason Voorhees nor Michael Myers because Tommy Slater just doesn't have the "it" factor. You can argue that it's hard to create new horrifying movie icons after so many popular films before it, but Tommy Slater is as default as you can get. Surely if they can come up with an elaborate plot about a witch, they can give their villain a little more depth. I really don't know why I'm getting so passionate about this lmao.

Though entertaining, I still found myself thinking of how a large portion of the film reminded me of other movies. Not to say that's entirely bad, but to say I wish it drifted from that pit of references.

I liked the soundtrack, I liked the acting more than the first, but, like the title suggests, you can really take it or leave it.
23 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Part two improves on part one
Tweekums13 July 2021
These comments are based on the assumption that people have seen the first instalment so don't need too much explanation of what was learnt in that film.

This, the second instalment in the 'Fear Street' trilogy opens in 1994 just after the events of the first movie. Deena and her brother, along with the now possessed Samantha, head to C. Berman's house; they want to know how she survived the massacre at Camp Nightwing in 1978. As she starts to tell them what happened the action moves back to 1978.

Here we see the summer camp, attended by children from both Shadyside and Sunnyvale and supervised by slightly older teens from the two communities. Among them are the Berman sisters; Ziggy and Cindy; a camper and councillor respectively; also there is Nick Goode; the Sherriff in 1997. There is plenty of conflict between the two towns with Shadysiders, in particular Ziggy, getting blamed when things go wrong. Early on the camp nurse attacks Cindy's boyfriend, Tommy, saying he will die that night. Trying to find out why she did this Cindy and Tommy search her office and find a book containing a map which leads to witch Sarah Fier's house. They head there with two others and suddenly Tommy starts acting violently... he has become possessed by Fier and the massacre described in part one starts to play out.

I quite enjoyed the first film but found this to be superior. The setting captures the feel of classic '70s/'80s slasher films; most obviously 'Friday the 13th' with is summer camp and teens in tight shirts and short shorts. If it weren't for the 1997 prologue and epilogue it would work as a self-contained movie. Instead of going for new and imaginative methods of killing people it sticks with the classics... an axe and some knives. Once Tommy becomes possessed he is a suitably frightening villain. I found the main characters to be more likable in this film; one wanted them to survive even though we knew from the start that not all of them would. Others are made deliberately unsympathetic so we are less concerned when they meet their end. The film does use some '70s music but this time it doesn't feel over used. There might not be too many surprises but a couple we do get are really impressive; I won't even hint at them here. The cast does a fine job; I particularly liked Emily Rudd and Sadie Sink as Cindy and Ziggy. Overall I'd definitely recommend this to fans of the genre, I'd also say if you didn't like the first instalment still give this one a go. Now I'm looking forward to 1666.
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than part one
UniqueParticle6 October 2021
I was surprised to hear Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show by Neil Diamond I know that best from Once upon a time in Hollywood which is glorious! All the stuff with Sadie Sink is is great and the soundtrack is masterful! It's awesome how this one is all about a camp. This makes me glad I'm using Netflix more lately I've missed out a lot although I love Amazon and HBO too. Ryan Simpkins (Alice) is amazing throughout too.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Okay movie
ewannaf11 July 2021
Found a good movie, had to think a lot of camp horror movies such as: friday the 23th and sleepaway camp. Also found interesting that the witch and stuff went on. Definitely recommend checking it out.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Daddy Issues", the trilogy.
I_eat_short_people2 August 2021
The review title says it all.

Still, this second movie is surely better than the first one. Not because it's good (although not really bad), but because it's honestly difficult to produce a worse movie than Part 1.
So much better
cv540419 July 2021
This one was it. Music was great. This looked more 70s than the other did 90s. Sure hairstyles weren't the same and clothes were a little bland but nothing besides the bombardment of music showed us the last was 94. Acting was way better in this one as well. Can we just talk about that closing scene with Cindy and Ziggy like damn did that hit hard that's when I knew the movie did it's job of making likable characters. Since it won't have nostalgia tropes to rely on I'm looking forward to 1666 as more of a story based suspense than the horror slasher we had in the first two films. Let's see how this started and end(?) this thing.
Way better than Part 1 and 3
iPaul-El17 July 2021
Having watched all 3 parts, I can say Part 2 is by far the best out of the 3. Part 1 and 3 are both ruined by the protagonist and their relationship, in my opinion.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eh, don't remember a single thing an it only finished a few minutes ago
Atleast the first one had the gall to be bafflingly awful, this was just painfully forgetible.
38 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie and watchable
muntazarmahdi9 July 2021
Come on guys, this movie wants to show us another definition of horror movie. Please don't compare this movie with another horror movie. Just watch ! The casts is so great.
35 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Dumb, Disappointing and Super Flat
zac-0487910 July 2021
Just like the opening part of this dumb film trilogy, Fear Street Part Two: 1978 is a flat, predictable and disappointing teen slasher. It's just a slasher-thriller with a completely flat story and a painfully tedious momentum. The critics are out of their minds whilst rating this highly and classing it as a true horror mystery with epic tension.

Firstly, Fear Street: 1978 isn't at all scary or ominous like it believes it is. Based on R. L. Stine's Fear Street novels, without being anything like the Fear Street novels, this second chapter of a gory trilogy isn't scary and contains too much unnecessary adult content. It's another one of those typical horror movies that relies on violence and scary outfits to terrify. Obviously it fails. And to actual real horror fans who have witnessed many slashers, Fear Street 2 is predictable and mostly boring.

It also could've been a better part to Fear Street if the characters weren't so dumb and unlikeable. Every single character is literally just a dramatic, irritating teen who just wants to be the hero and save the day.

What many people will enjoy about this film is the decent storyline and bloody killings, which aren't as compelling as the first film's brutal, gory slayings. It's just a big let down and a complete disappointment. If you are one of those people who are terrified of tedious gore and like simple slashing and mystery, you just aren't a real horror fan. Fear Street Part Two: 1978 is one of those kinds of horror films.

If you liked this review, check out the full review and other reviews at aussieboyreviews.
23 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Huge Improvement
averylubocki10 July 2021
Coming from someone who didn't really like the first film, Part 2 is a huge upgrade. I was entertained throughout the entire movie, where as the first film was making me check my watch. The two leads are very likeable and the performances from the both of them were fantastic. There were plenty of cool kills and wicked amounts of gore. We finally get to learn more about the curse on Shadyside, something I think we should have got in Part 1, and it's very interesting to watch unfold. Overall, Part 2 is a much better movie. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one! If you didn't like the first one, I would still recommend checking it out!
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.