Fear Street: Part Two - 1978 (2021) Poster

more camp
SnoopyStyle14 July 2021
Deena and Josh arrive at C. Berman's house looking for her help with possessed Sam. Berman recounts the events of 1978 massacre at Camp Nightwing.

This second installment is more camp. I mean camp as in more B-movie-like. The characters are broader. The Sunnyvale people are almost cartoons in their bullying of their poorer neighbors. This is closer to a cartoon compared to the first one. They do kill some younglings in this one. It's happy with its own splatter-rama. It threatens to spoof the genre. The sisters' sibling rivalry is a bit tiresome and simplistic. I can do without the outhouse. Thankfully, there is no smell-o-vision. This is fine camp but a different tone to the first movie.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Camp Fear Lake
kosmasp20 July 2021
Ok so there is no lake, but how else would I draw the connection with something like Friday 13th? Fear the 13th? Well I guess that was also a possibility. But as you are probably already aware, this is not just an ordinary slasher movie. It has the blood and violence of one (and in this installment it does up the sexy time factor, though do not expect much in the nudity department again), but there are other ingredients in it.

So while I reckon some may feel that it should just stick with one thing, I like the fact that this tries to find new ways to tell a slasher story and is adding something to the lore and to the genre, if you call it that. Really well made with an entirely new group of characters ... which is necessary considering what the overall arc is. Now of course that also means suspension of disbelief. You cannot overthink certain things ... like why we see a whole movie and how the one person who supposedly tells it, knows so much ... even the things she was not there for ... again free your mind of that.

So sit back and enjoy this second part of Fear Street ... which goes even further back in time than the first one was set into - from the 2021 standpoint. I reckon the movies work as standalone pieces - but are better when you see them as a whole.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A worthy follow up.
Sleepin_Dragon18 July 2021
I've come to this directly after watching the first, I liked the first, I thought this was the better film.

Being a prequel and a continuation, we are able put the pieces together, and there's is a lot of content to digest, plus a few surprises in store.

It perhaps lacks some of the scares and thrills of the first film, this has a less obvious horror, the scares here are somehow more subtle. I thought the set of monsters/killers looked great here.

Terrific music again, the costumes and sets look terrific, I preferred the 1970's setting, and I think they really did capture the time.

A more accomplished film, 7/10.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
no era protects you
lee_eisenberg16 July 2021
Having seen the first segment - portraying a series of murders in 1994 - we now go backwards in time, to a series of similarly grisly events at a summer camp in 1978. As with the first segment, we see the gap between the children from affluent and working-class towns, but neither group is safe from the horror pervading the camp. Sure enough, a lot of stuff gets revealed.

Certainly some creepy stuff. I'm pumped to see the third segment.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Part two improves on part one
Tweekums13 July 2021
These comments are based on the assumption that people have seen the first instalment so don't need too much explanation of what was learnt in that film.

This, the second instalment in the 'Fear Street' trilogy opens in 1994 just after the events of the first movie. Deena and her brother, along with the now possessed Samantha, head to C. Berman's house; they want to know how she survived the massacre at Camp Nightwing in 1978. As she starts to tell them what happened the action moves back to 1978.

Here we see the summer camp, attended by children from both Shadyside and Sunnyvale and supervised by slightly older teens from the two communities. Among them are the Berman sisters; Ziggy and Cindy; a camper and councillor respectively; also there is Nick Goode; the Sherriff in 1997. There is plenty of conflict between the two towns with Shadysiders, in particular Ziggy, getting blamed when things go wrong. Early on the camp nurse attacks Cindy's boyfriend, Tommy, saying he will die that night. Trying to find out why she did this Cindy and Tommy search her office and find a book containing a map which leads to witch Sarah Fier's house. They head there with two others and suddenly Tommy starts acting violently... he has become possessed by Fier and the massacre described in part one starts to play out.

I quite enjoyed the first film but found this to be superior. The setting captures the feel of classic '70s/'80s slasher films; most obviously 'Friday the 13th' with is summer camp and teens in tight shirts and short shorts. If it weren't for the 1997 prologue and epilogue it would work as a self-contained movie. Instead of going for new and imaginative methods of killing people it sticks with the classics... an axe and some knives. Once Tommy becomes possessed he is a suitably frightening villain. I found the main characters to be more likable in this film; one wanted them to survive even though we knew from the start that not all of them would. Others are made deliberately unsympathetic so we are less concerned when they meet their end. The film does use some '70s music but this time it doesn't feel over used. There might not be too many surprises but a couple we do get are really impressive; I won't even hint at them here. The cast does a fine job; I particularly liked Emily Rudd and Sadie Sink as Cindy and Ziggy. Overall I'd definitely recommend this to fans of the genre, I'd also say if you didn't like the first instalment still give this one a go. Now I'm looking forward to 1666.
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No significant improvement over part one.
BA_Harrison11 July 2021
The second part of Netflix's horror trilogy jumps from the '90s to the '70s, skipping past the '80s, most likely to try and avoid too many comparisons with Stranger Things: they needn't have bothered - the similarities are everywhere (the casting of ST star Sadie Sink was NOT a good idea). With its retro approach, the movie is a blatant attempt at mimicking that series' success, but it doesn't work, failing for the very same reasons as the disappointing Fear Street Part One - 1994: the characters aren't convincing, acting more like whiny Gen Z teens than carefree '70s campers, their emotional issues (sibling rivalry and self-harming) taking up more screen time than the killings; moreover, director Leigh Janiak totally fails to capture the '70s slasher vibe - simply loading the soundtrack with classic rock tracks isn't enough (if I ever hear Cherry Bomb on another movie soundtrack, I'll be tempted to go crazy with an axe myself!).

Part two sees C. Berman (Gillian Jacobs) recounting her personal tale of horror to the '90s kids of part one. As a teen at Camp Nightwing in the summer of '78, she witnessed counsellor Tommy (McCabe Slye) becoming possessed by witch Sarah Fier and going on a bloody rampage. Following clues in a book that belonged to the mother of a previous possessed teenager, she and a group of friends try to reunite the witch's severed hand with the rest of her body and thus end her centuries old curse.

As with part one, the film is at its best when delivering the gore, but there simply aren't enough creative kills to make it a satisfactory homage to classic summer camp slashers. It would be great if they amp up the splatter for the final part, but judging from the The VVitch style preview at the end of this middle chapter, I'm not filled with hope.

4/10, although I almost deducted a point for the really dumb moment when a character discovers a giant pulsating heart crawling with flies in the witch's cavern and places her hand on it. Seriously... why?
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More brutal and visceral than the predecessor...
paul_haakonsen11 August 2021
Well "Fear Street: 1978" was definitely a step up from the "Fear Street: 1994" movie in terms of visual violence and mayhem, although they both provided about the same level of entertainment, just in different manners.

The storyline in "Fear Street: 1978" definitely had a lot of similarities to it akin to the "Friday the 13th" franchise. Perhaps an homage to those movies? I mean, you have the whole summer camp thing going on with promiscuous teen councilors, and a deranged and unstoppable serial axe-wielding murderer prowling the camp grounds.

I will say that the storyline told in "Fear Street: 1978" proved to be every bit as entertaining as the storyline in the "Fear Street: 1994" movie, despite it being quite different actually.

And as I mentioned at the beginning, then "Fear Street: 1978" is a visceral and gory movie. And that was something that really appealed to me. The sheer brutality of the murders in this movie totally put the murders in the previous movie to shame. This movie was hard-hitting and brutal, I kid you not.

The cast ensemble that they put together for "Fear Street: 1978" was good and all actors and actresses in the movie actually put on rather good and convincing performances. So that really added a good layer to the movie.

So yeah, "Fear Street: 1978" does have that glorious serial killer vibe to it that I grew up with in the movies I watched over and over in the 1980s. You know, the slasher flicks of the golden age.

If you enjoyed "Fear Street: 1994" then you most certainly have to carry on and watch the sequel titled "Fear Street: 1978".

I am rating director Leigh Janiak's "Fear Street: 1978" a well-deserved six out of ten stars. This movie is quite worth taking the time to sit down and watch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Diminishing returns but not bad
BandSAboutMovies24 July 2021
The movie stars where the last one ended - with Deena and Josh Johnson restraining Deena's possessed girlfriend Sam and traveling to meet C. Berman (Gillian Jacobs), the lone survivor of the Camp Nightwing massacre. Her entire house is surrounded by clocks to keep her on schedule and potentially from going mental. She wants our heroes to leave until they convince her to tell the tale of what happened in 1978.

The camp was divided between the Shadyside and Sunnyvale kids, even then. Ziggy Berman of Shadyside (Sadie Sink, Stranger Things) has been accused of stealing by several of the Sunnyvale campers who tie her to a tree and nearly burn her. She's saved by several camp counselors just as her sister Cindy (Emily Rudd) and her boyfriend Tommy Slater (McCabe Slye) are attacked by the camp's nurse, who is the mother of Shadyside killer Ruby Lane. She claims that Tommy will die before the end of the night.

It's at this point that everyone should just figure out a way to go home. Nothing hammers that home more than when they explore the nurse's house and find a diary which explains how Sarah Fier made a deal with the devil by cutting her hand on Satan's stone, as well as a series of empty graves and a wall that lists who will die that night.

Of course, all hell breaks loose, with Tommy becoming possessed and the girls, joined by their friend Alice (Ryan Simpkins), struggling to find a way to return Sarah's hand to her grave before the curse claims them all. That's the same worry that our heroes in the last film faced and things work out just about as well before back in the original timeline, the hand being placed in the grave triggers a flashback that sends Denna back to 1666 and into the body of Sarah Fier.

I remain impressed by the script by Zak Olkewicz and Leigh Janiak as well as Janiak's direction. This one may not have moved me as much as the first installment, but it's nice to have a slasher getting seen by a big audience. The final scene between the two sister did impact me more than nearly any ending I've seen in some time, so there's some major emotional heft to this story.

This was filmed at both Camp Rutledge - the location for Little Darlings - and Camp Daniel Morgan - where Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives was made.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent acting, lacked slasher action
Calicodreamin10 July 2021
The best part of this movie was the acting, a far better cast than the first part and more chemistry between the leads. The problem was the lack of slasher action, both in volume and diversity. It takes 40 minutes for the plot to get going and then it's one note til the end.
6 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worthy and fun follow-up effort
kannibalcorpsegrinder25 July 2021
Thinking back to her time at camp, a young woman tells other survivors of a brutal massacre about arriving at a summer camp with her sister and other friends years earlier and came into contact with a curse that turned one of the other counselors into a vicious killer and how they stopped his rampage.

Overall, there was quite a lot to like with this one. One of the better features to be had here is the way this one leads into the events at the camp involving the treatment they receive there. Seeing how different the two girls are where the differences between the more carefree and adventurous one against the stuck-up and rigid friend cause a wide gap that affects their time at the camp already with how the other kids continually and mercilessly bully her about her being a witch. The incredulity about how they can possibly be that cruel in this type of world amidst the rest of the treatment they dole out to her friend is a rather fun instigation to everything. Once the film moves into the arrival of the witch's curse over the camp and the start of the slayings, there's a lot to like here. The discovery of the shack and noting how the possessed gets infected is quite fun, moving through the chilling scenes out in the woods looking for the hiding spot which leads into the dark confrontation in the ruins of the house where all the supernatural influences acting on them as well as the final revelation that shows the possession will happen starts this one off quite well. When the snap eventually occurs and the initial strike occurs forcing them to escape, the film generates a lot to like with the suddenness of the action and the darkness of the location coming into play rather nicely. The second half here, which is carried out as a fantastic series of slasher scenes that alternate quite effectively between brutal ambushes and chilling stalking. The idea of appearing at various rooms and cabins around the camp laying waste to everyone they come across with the bloodsoaked ax, this comes off incredibly well with the chilling sequences and unaware rampage going on at the same time that keeps this moving along being full of slick, high-energy sequences. Tying it all together with the supernatural aspects of the witch's curse driving the possessed into killing and going through the rampage in the first place, there's so much to like here that it manages to keep the film up quite heavily. There are some small factors holding this one back. The main one that drags this down is the somewhat uneven pacing in the final half that contains way too much going on that it becomes far too dragged out for its own good. The fact that there are several conversations about the status of their lives under the curse is way too late into the film to matter when it's already been established that people have been affected by the curse. As well, the whole finale itself goes on too long with the search for the witch's body and then cutting back to the real-world search that all comes into play with the cross-cutting that's not always handled right as it lets the film go on much longer than it should. Otherwise, though, there's not a whole lot really wrong here.

Rated R: Graphic Violence, Graphic Language, Brief Nudity, and sexual scenes.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
pure ode to eighties slashers
trashgang19 August 2021
The horror franchise of the summer they said, as much as I liked part one I never thought they could do better and they did.

Yes, it's all based on some slasher classics. On camp so friday the 13th is never far away. It takes a while before it all goes wrong but when it does it's gore galore again. Completely my cup of tea.

Gore 2/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrors-within-Horrors
Cineanalyst9 July 2021
Better than the first "Fear Street," "1994" (2021, released on Netflix the week prior), I'll give "Part Two: 1978" that. The characters remain terribly written. Although we're nominally dealing with a new cast of teenagers for the most part this round (and why there continue to be so few adults around, I do not know), they're still the same tropes that end up yelling at each other and making cloying confessions while on the run from an axe murderer. I swear if I were ever in such a life-or-death situation and someone tried to talk to me about their feelings other than as concerned being on the run from an axe murderer, I'd slap them because they're obviously being hysterical--and, yes, I realize that's also a movie cliché. My point is, there's a time and a place and pretty much any other time and place would be more appropriate. But, again, yes, I know, poorly written teens in a slasher flick that's also rooted in young adult fiction--so doubly so--shocking, right? So, let's get to the blood and guts of the matter.

Well, as with the first one, it's fairly bloody and a bit titillating (including a couple naked male bottoms this time) for a horror movie aimed at a younger audience, but I'm talking about the mechanics of the thing. The first movie did a lot of the boring, heavy lifting as far as plodding exposition. The animosity between the cursed residents of Shadyville and their haughty neighbors in Sunnyvale, which matters a bit more at this camp than it did in the first movie's apparent ghost town. Also, this sequel is afforded the luxury of breezing past establishing the witch stuff and past serial killers, because it was all already established on the first movie's clunky crazy board.

What we have here, then, is a story-within-a-story as told by a storyteller character and further nested narratives within those: the nurse and her late daughter, as well as the visions from touching (un)dead stuff. Two timelines and two sisters for a second movie. Plus, the book within what is a movie based on a book series matters this time--a map for an underground maze that reflects the outer narrative--and not just because it goes underneath latrines. It's simply better, more eloquent plotting than "1994." Nothing we haven't seen before, of course, as this entire franchise seems to be highly hackneyed--largely rehashing "Scream" (1996) last time, "Friday the 13th" (1980) here, and whichever witch flick next, but there's a basic competence here. Tune in next week for the conclusion to the trilogy, I guess.
15 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Brutal & Unsparing Than Its Predecessor
CinemaClown13 September 2021
The second chapter in the Fear Street trilogy picks up right where the previous entry signed off, and takes the setting back to its titular year to tell the story of the only survivor of the Camp Nightwing massacre. Filled to the brim with gnarly kills and further expanding the mythology, 1978 borrows elements from obvious sources for its own narrative but it is also missing the freshness of the first film.

Co-written & directed by Leigh Janiak, it takes a while for the film to get moving but once the killings start, the body counts start piling up real quick, and it definitely features more violent killings than its predecessor. With the last film spoiling some of this story's key plot elements, its surprise factor is rendered weak for the most part here but the gleeful brutality on display nonetheless makes it an enjoyable sit.

Once again, it is the mythological aspect and how it entwines with the events of the previous film that keeps us invested in the journey, for the characters this one has in store are bland & uninteresting, with only exception being Sadie Sink's character but that's got more to do with Sink's performance than the role itself. Janiak still does a fabulous job at keeping the tension alive and skilfully juggles the various subplots.

Overall, Fear Street: 1978 is a competently crafted & neatly executed slasher that comes with its own set of thrills & kills that mostly work. And what it lacks in character chemistry, it makes up in bloody carnage, for the night of terror that unfolds at the summer camp only smears the screen in crimson red. Despite all the familiar beats & conventions present in this sequel, 1978 manages to deliver the desired goods and is unsparing in its approach.
Better than part one
UniqueParticle6 October 2021
I was surprised to hear Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show by Neil Diamond I know that best from Once upon a time in Hollywood which is glorious! All the stuff with Sadie Sink is is great and the soundtrack is masterful! It's awesome how this one is all about a camp. This makes me glad I'm using Netflix more lately I've missed out a lot although I love Amazon and HBO too. Ryan Simpkins (Alice) is amazing throughout too.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bloody fun slasher thriller taking on 70s camp.
cruise0118 September 2021
3.5 out of 5 stars.

Fear Street 2 is a fun teen slasher film which offers bloody kills, sisterhood story, and 70s fun direction. It may not be better than the first film which offered more kills and thrills. The sequel does take a step back down on kills. But it is still entertaining.

The plot continues with Ziggy (Sadie Sink) focusing on her story at the camp in 1978. Where someone gets possessed by the witch and goes on a killing spree. While Ziggy and her sister Cindy (Emily Rudd) try to save the rest of the camp and put the witch to rest.

The direction tries to have fun with the 70s camp atmosphere. Awesome soundtrack. Tone. Costume design and plays around with the 70s slasher flicks like Friday the 13th. Teens playing pranks. Having sex and making stupid choices. And a killer on the loose causing a bloody body count. Yes it is all there in this film. Ziggy and Cindy are struggling as sisters which they have become distant. Cindy being responsible and a goody good. Ziggy feeling like an outsider and being bullied with everyone calling her a witch.

There are some bloody slasher kills. And thrills. The film does suffer with unnecessary dialogue during bad timing in the movie. Characters can be chased and find a hiding spot and decide to have a personal conversations about there family or friendship past. Or having a deep conversation next to the killers deceased body which may get up at any given moment. The film does suffer a lot of those little flaws in this sequel.

Saddie Sink did a great job along with the rest of the cast ensemble. The film does another cliffhanger ending for a third movie which would be fun to see.

Overall, weaker than the first movie but still a lot of fun with its soundtrack. Slasher thrills. And a middle chapter story.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As good as the first...
Thanos_Alfie6 October 2021
"Fear Street: 1978" is a Mystery - Horror movie and the sequel of "Fear Street: 1994", in which the story continues from where the first movie finished but now we are in Shadyside of 1978. A summer full of activities is about to begin but for one more time a Shadysider starts a killing spree.

Since I had already watched and enjoyed the first movie I had high expectations from the sequel and I was not disappointed at all. The plot continues to be very interesting and the interpretations of the cast is equally good with those in the first movie. There is plenty of actions, only a few jump-scares and a mystery that needs to be solved for the sake of everyone. For one more time the interpretations of Kiana Madeira who played as Deena, Benjamin Flores Jr. Who played as Josh and Olivia Scott Welch who played as Sam Fraser were very good. Some other very good interpretations that need to be mentioned were Sadie Sink's who played as Ziggy Berman, Emily Rudd's who played as Cindy Berman and Brandon Spink's who played as Young Will Goode. Finally, I have to say that "Fear Street: 1978" is a nice movie and I strongly recommend everyone to watch it especially if you have already watched the first movie.
Another fun entry into the Fear Street trilogy
eddie_baggins18 July 2021
After a solid Scream inspired first outing in the cursed township of Shadyside during the 1994 calendar year, the second installment of Netflix's Fear Street trilogy takes us all the way back to 1978 at Camp Nightwing, where a bunch of Shadyside teenagers are hunted down by a possessed supervisor hellbent on bloodshed.

If the first film in Leigh Janiak's series was a throwback to Scream and those type of less scary more self-referential slashers, 1978 is a Friday the 13th/Sleepaway Camp infused outing that sees Janiak keep the first films bloodlust going with a visceral and carnage laden outing that is more slowly paced and less energized than the 1994 trip.

With the stars of the first film here relegated too mere minutes of screen time as they try and uncover the mystery of the Shadyside witch and how they may finally put a stop the curse on their town, 1978 introduces us to Sadie Sink's bullied Ziggy Berman and her older sister Cindy (played by Emily Rudd) as the two struggling teens have to work together if they are to stop an axe wielding maniac from murdering the entire Nightwing contingent.

Much like 1994, this second outing is mostly devoid of scares and any horror hound heading into this next installment expecting an uptake in frights and tension will be left disappointed as Janiak is more at home bringing the wince inducing violence that littered her first film with a large collection of scenes that are often shocking and at times totally unexpected in their brutality and no holds barred approach.

It does feel like a missed opportunity for the series too still not provide much in the way of genuine chills and while the last film set in 1666 looks set to be a more The Witch inspired affair, both 1994 and 1978 feel as though they would've benefited from some more effort when it comes to keeping their audience on guard rather than just shock them with intense and gruesome violence.

Around all this violence this time around though we get more refined character work thanks to Ziggy and Cindy and by allowing a few central characters more room for growth and time in the spotlight, 1978 gets us more invested in the plight of the Berman sisters as they try and fight for their lives on this fateful night and thanks to the solid performances of Sink and Rudd, audiences will be rooting for the duo to make it out alive to fight another day.

Final Say -

A different setting and tone makes 1978 feel different to its predecessor but really its providing us with more of the same as we now await to be unnerved by the last addition to a series that has shown Netflix a new way to deliver genre content to subscribers.

3 severed hands out of 5.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fear Street Part 2
ZegMaarJus26 August 2021
Fear Street Part 2: 1978 is a Horror Slasher Movie. We are back in Shadyside. We go back to 1978 after a scene with Deena, Josh and C. Berman. Nurse Lane fights with Tommy. Nurse Lane bumps her head on the wood, she got brought to the hospital. The color war begins between Shadyside and Sunnyville. Tommy splits Arnie's head in half with an axe, Arnie died afterwards. Tommy killed Jeremy with his axe. Ziggy kisses Nick. Tommy kills Joan with his axe. Tommy kills a group of campkids. Tommy chops Gary his head off. Ziggy fights with Tommy. Alice got knocked to death by Tommy. Cindy beheaded Tommy. Alice died. Cindy and Ziggy got surrounded by the killers. Cindy got killed by Tommy. Ziggy got killed by The Milkman. Nick revived Ziggy. It turns out that C. Berman is Ziggy, not Cindy. Josh and Deena found a corpse. Deena her nose is bleeding.

Such a great Slasher movie!
Okayish
Tweetienator13 July 2021
Not a total fail but nothing good either. I didn't watch the first one but after watching this one I am sure of one thing, I won't bother. Below average teenie-horror - don't get fooled by all those fake reviews and rates of 10s and 9s. But maybe, maybe if you are still in your teens and you are still rather new to the art of horror you will appreciate Fear Street: 1978 more than I did.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than its predecessor.
Fella_shibby10 July 2021
This one has a good setting which kinda transports us viewers to the late 70s n early 80s slashers a la the camp ones.

This time they showed some brutal slashing via an axe but i am happy that at the same time they restrained the violence towards kids.

The only crib is that there is no nudity n the makers tried their level best to hide nudity which kinda looked too forceful.

Can someone tell me why there wasnt lottuva poop inside the tunnel underneath the outhouse.

Hope they show some good atmosphere n terror in the final chapter.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Summer Camp Nightmare
southdavid13 July 2021
I really enjoyed Part one of this series. I liked how the film captured both the spirit of 90's slashers, as well as the time period itself. I was slightly less enamoured with part two. Though I don't think it was bad, the music wasn't as "deep cuts" as the first part and I wanted the film to go further with emulating the 70's Summer Camp classics.

Deena (Kiana Maderia) and Josh (Benjamin Flores Jr) arrive at the house of Mrs. Berman (Gillian Jacobs) who was the sole survivor of the 1978 Camp Nightwing slaughter. Desperate to find a way to rescue Sam (Olivia Scott Welch) the pair convince Berman to recount her story for clues about how and why she survived. We flashback to 1978 and see a night that has left her permanently psychologically damaged, the night she lost her sister to an axe wielding maniac and the witch's hold on the town.

It's not that I disliked this one. It's a reasonable slasher movie with some gloriously gory moments. Sadie Sink is likeable and an engaging lead and her relationship with her sister played by Emily Rudd and budding romance with Nick (Ted Sutherland) is nicely played. There's no mystery element to it, it's an origin story for Tommy Slater, the axe murderer who appeared in the first film and we see his possession take hold and his spree start. If anything, that leads to the first problem, in that there aren't any real surprises to the film. That might work in a genuine teen/tween horror outing, but in terms of gore and sex it's a bit too explicit for them, but for an adult audience, plot wise it's a touch too basic.

I don't think the film did as good as job of feeling like an actual 70's film, as Part One did about feeling like a 90's one. The setting gets it, Camp Nightwing is Crystal Lake in all but name and the various outbuildings, dorm rooms and mess halls make sense. (The science/zoological room perhaps is a bit less justifiable but works into the plot quite a lot.) I just wanted the film to feel more... exploitative maybe, dirtier, less professional though I'm not sure exactly how I wanted that represented, shot on film maybe? Something more akin to a grindhouse style?

I don't think it was terrible, and I enjoy how the universe is starting to tessellate, but I was less impressed with this, than I was with the first one.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great follow up, perfectly planned Sequel.
subxerogravity10 July 2021
So far so good with these Fear Street movies. 1978 was pretty good. I think 1994 was better. Despite its overblown use of the 90s music to set it in the place of 1994, despite the fact that a few of the songs came out after 1994. The first Fear Street had characters I started to care about... before they died.

1978 is more of a straight up slasher movie. There is no uniqueness to it like 1994. All the characters feel Archetypical. Because they did not have to explain the slasher's motives the slasher just got to do his thing. Plus I'm not old enough to know or care if the music is out of whack (Although its got to be easier tossing in any 70s song when the 70s are almost over).

However, all this makes it the best sequel ever. It falls into all the sequel pitfalls with more action and darker deaths and it flourishes on this cause it makes it a far better slasher picture.

So far this Fear Street Trilogy is worth the time. Can't wait to see 1666.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'78 is better than '94
Stevieboy6662 August 2021
Part two of the Netflix Fear Street series goes back to summer camp in 1978. Movies such as Friday the 13th and The Burning spring to mind here, though they were vastly superior. Impossible to capture the feel of a Golden Age Slasher movie (late '70s to mid '80s) but a good effort by the makers. Perhaps a bit too long but there is some good gore, including a very graphic axe in a head, and Sadie Sink is excellent as heroine Ziggy Berman. Also good to see some back story for cop Nick Goode. Nice soundtrack , including Bowie, Cat Stevens and the Buzzcocks, though it could have been better. Roll on 1666.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fear Street: Part Two - 1978
JoBloTheMovieCritic14 July 2021
5/10 - while still disappointing, the second installment in the trilogy was a little bit better even though it retained that general feeling of an R movie trapped in something that should really be PG.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
kevin_robbins15 July 2021
Fear Street Part Two: 1978 (2021) is a movie I watched last weekend on Netflix. The storyline takes place at Camp Nightwing where the school counselors are setting up the camp in preparation for the children to arrive. As they prepare in only ways teenagers can (sex, alcohol, drugs and more sex) a killer emerges threatening to ruin their festivities. This movie is directed by Leigh Janiak (Fear Street Part One & Three) and stars Sadie Sink (Stranger Things), Emily Rudd (House Mother), Ryan Simpkins (A Single Man), McCabe Slye (Destroyer) and Gillian Jacobs (The Box). The storyline for this picture is set in a far superior setting for this storyline than the first film. The kill scenes in both movies are fantastic with great gore. I loved the soundtrack in this and also felt the backstories for the local towns characters were delivered very well. The cast and performances were solid and fit the storyline appropriately. Overall this had a "Friday the 13th" feel to it that made it far superior to the first film and I'd actually recommend seeing this (maybe skip the first one ). I'd score this a solid 7.5/10.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.