23 Walks (2020) Poster

(2020)

Warm, real and hopeful, without being sentimental
ian-830-55081230 September 2020
Beautifully written and played, dialogue is spot on. A believable tale of every day life.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gentle and undemanding
Lomax34327 September 2020
A formulaic rom-com; nicely done but with few surprises. By no means a bad film, but nothing to lift it out of the ordinary. Was the woke casting *really* necessary?

The dogs were good.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly Awful
carbonfreezealan27 September 2020
I really wanted to like this film as I felt this would remind me of Hampstead. That was a lovely feel good film. Unfortunately the lead characters in this do not have any chemistry at all with each other. Alison Steadman does the best she can do with bland direction and it's a credit to her. Dave Johns has no screen presence at all and it is jarring to believe that these two characters connect. The forced casting of black characters to make up the PC quota was ridiculous and ruined the film completely. Cast a film for talent not for colour. Even an off screen gay character was mentioned to tick leftie boxes. Such a let down.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real life
Gordon-111 January 2021
This story is about real people with real lives. It's very relatable and realistic. I enjoyed it.
The Leads Make the Film
nigelgatherer27 December 2020
I enjoyed 23 Walks, perhaps because I'm now of the age of the lead characters who discover love against the odds. I became an admirer of Dave Johns in I, Daniel Blake, and in this film, in my opinion, he comes up trumps again, playing everyman to perfection. This is a slice of the lives of two ordinary people, dealing with ordinary situations in a natural, human way. I for one am glad that such films are being made.
Worth The Watch
hobbitmann16 November 2020
I didn't see that this movie deserved less than a 7 and can't see why a lot of reviewers gave it a 3 or 2. These are both notable actors who were very natural in an awkward and difficult situation they portrayedto. How do you handle the need for companionship in the later years of life within their situation. In my opinion a well done and a captivating film. As a dog owner the loss of Tilley was actually felt and the dog who played her should be up for an award along with the dog who played Henry, who both kept my attention throughout. It is a recommended watch.
Walking Around in Circles
jamesmoule19 August 2020
Why does Graham Cole (a.k.a PC Stamp) get top billing?Dave Johns and Alison Steadman are the only major characters and they do a fine job with a script that lacks originality or plot. I was expecting a major incident to launch the story but it never happened. There is, of course, great care to achieve racial balance and this adds to the impression that the whole movie is calculated and formulaic. Anyone familiar with the book / film "Our Souls at Night" will see the similarities. There must be an untapped market for love stories involving aged baby-boomers but this attempt covers old ground. It is tedious and just runs out of steam. Very disappointing.
4 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If it's on TV, go for 25 Walks
brian-854662 November 2020
This was a very disappointing film, Alison Steadman's talent was wasted on this script. I was very sad, as I had expected to enjoy the film.

The Fern and Dave characters weren't particularly well written, and I don't believe Dave would really have fallen for her, she wasn't a very nice person, so more suited to the husband she had just divorced.

The film didn't flow, and the penultimate scene jarred somewhat; Dave had just offered to help her move into her new home, and the next scene I thought, oh right, they were struggling to get a large wardrobe up the stairs...cringingly wrong!

Production wise, the background music was often too loud to hear some of the dialogue between the leads, and occasionally the dialogue sounded like it had been recorded in an empty baked bean can.

At least the dogs were good in the film, especially Tilly, I thought she could have made more of her big moment at the end, but.she probably couldn't wait to escape the mess.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.