Vanguard (2020) Poster

(I) (2020)

Simply bad.
TimeSkipLuffy15 November 2020
Bad acting, bad action scenes, bad CGI, bad story... I could keep going on. There is so much wrong in this movie that I wish I haven't seen this. What's worse is that Jackie Chan is selling his soul to the China movie factory. It really hurts his amazing legacy. So many awesome HK movies and even some decent Hollywood movies. When judging a movie I rather want to keep politics aside but its very hilarious when all those new China movies try to sell how great China is. Like when they tell a story about an activist and portrait western people as wildlife hunters but don't say anything about a lot of Chinese people buying that stuff for "health" issues. 3 stars only because there is worse. China is so desperate to show the "pretty" Chinese people in their movies that acting becomes 2nd importance.
70 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertainment
khasding-6329319 December 2020
People seem to want too much for a movie these days this is just entertainment take it for what it is it's definitely entertaining
20 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sad to see his movie getting bad to worse.
lsd-0244615 November 2020
The CGI sucks big time. Lion look so fake. Even the car drift scene also fake like fark. Seriously what kind of attire Jackie Chan wearing in Africa. Lol maximum fail.
46 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plain and bland action movie
daisukereds18 November 2020
This is what I call a "globetrotter". It's your generic action team going all around the world on a mission. And even if the stunts are good and the look of the movie is fine, there is simply nothing to it. Nothing stands out or is memorable, or would prompt a second watching. You can't even make fun of it (like the newest Charlie's Angels). At times, there's too many people shooting and you don't know who is who..

And for such a serious movie, Jackie stands out like a sore thumb... and not in a good way. Don't recommend it, it's too boring and simplistic.
33 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jackie Chan is Back in his Form with Vanguard
supamcb5 October 2020
Vanguard was supposed to be released on 25th January, 2020 but due to global COVID-19 pandemic this movie has been delayed, and now it has finally arrived.

After a long time Jackie Chan has returned to his form even though it's a multicast movie. Other younger actors couldn't bypass his role in Vanguard. He is growing old but his performances won't allow to reflect it. His accurate timing in both comic scenes and actions are really entertaining.

The story is written in such a way with visually super VFX and CGI action stunts that you will be amazed to see it on the theatre. Stanley Tong is always at his best with a mixture of actions and hilarious comedy scenes. Locations are selected very wisely for high octane chasing scenes with combinations of captivating fights.

Don't miss this movie if you want to enjoy an on-the-edge thrilling ride in time of pandemic.

Highly recommended 👌🏻
54 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absurd action and bad acting
tcat88822 November 2020
Most of the fighting scenes are just boring to watch and the actions in the movies are mostly absurd. The good guys never die and barely even get shot despite being outnumbered and under heavy fire. In many instances they could have killed the bad guys but somehow choose to just knock them out, and the bad guys soon come back chasing them again. The young female character playing the daughter cannot act! Her emotional scene with her dad seems so fake and the chemistry between her and the male lead is so forced it makes you want to stop watching the movie. And JC too many times trying to subtly show his praise to China, those moments just makes you cringe.
32 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If a malfunctioning computer program made an action movie...
ofumalow21 November 2020
I can't say "Vanguard" is boring, because like someone waving a toy in front of a baby's face, its color and movement make it distracting. As well as expensive (though why so many of the CGI effects are so bad given what this movie must have cost, I have no idea). But it is senseless and ridiculous, even by the most lightweight fantasy-action-movie standards. It really feels like they said "OK, we have about a dozen ideas here for generic ripoffs of other movies...hey, let's cram them all into ONE movie, and stick Jackie Chan on top!" From one scene to the next, this film has no idea what it wants to be--so it tries everything, badly. I laughed out loud at some things that were meant to be taken seriously.

I'm not sure bloodthirsty terrorists need to be heavily featured in a movie geared towards 10-year-olds, but that seems the approximate age group targeted here. Yet at the same time "Vanguard" isn't exactly a family film--or anything else, for more than a few minutes at a time. What it is, is a mess. A loud, expensive, busy mess that does Jackie no favors, or any of the younger cast members either.

Please note that if you click on their names, every single "user" here who gave "Vanguard" ten stars has mysteriously never reviewed another film, and only been on IMBD for a month. This movie flopped even in China, but Chinese bots sure are working overtime to try to push it here.
29 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Jackie, why?
latzyu5 December 2020
If you expect to see a movie in the style of those in which Jackie Chan is casual, and also a good fighter and acrobat, and the movie is engaging and funny, you are wrong. The positive characters are exaggeratedly devoted to the employing company, Vanguard, being such an exemplary discipline and obsessed with fulfilling their mission at all costs, like soldiers in the Chinese army. They are, at the same time, like a family whose guiding parent is Jackie Chan, thus becoming unbelievable and downright annoying. Many of the fight and action scenes curl up the absurd. The scenes that were supposed to have an emotional charge are so misinterpreted that they have become hilarious. And with the technique presented, it was exaggerated, being more than phantasmagoric. I didn't expect Jackie Chan to agree to star in such a poor quality film, although I'm convinced it wasn't a low-budget one, but he's not the only one doing it. I couldn't give the movie more than 3 stars.
25 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Jackie's best, but given his age, we can't expect classic Jackie!
forrealgames1454 October 2020
This movie, in my opinion, was a lot better than his previous collaboration with Stanley. Kung Fu Yoga was okay. If you enjoyed that, you'll definitely have a romp with this film. It's the same kind of action heavy but also goofy comedy that you can expect from some of Jackie's movies. His role here is a little more subdued, however, as he lets the other actors take bigger roles. Although he's the highest billed actor here, he plays more of a secondary role as the leader of this agency. That being said, there's enough Jackie in this movie where I don't feel misled. He definitely has more screen time than The Foreigner, another movie where he received top billing but, imo didnt appear enough in the film.

The action is great and it's definitely a good popcorn flick that'll distract you from the ongoing pandemic. It's what the world needs, really!
44 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best
zuber-043891 October 2020
Nice Movie Best Action By Jackie Chan Best Action Movie
42 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome action, great story
chc8526 October 2020
It's great to watch Jackie Chan on screen again, and his films with Stanley Tong are the best, and this one too.

Can't believe Jackie is in his 60s and he still does his own stunts! Unbelievable! How many action stars can still do that?!

The film is shot in multiple locations and is beautifully shot. It's great to see a film with so many shooting locations since we cannot travel anywhere under the pandemic. I feel like I've traveled to those places myself!

Don't miss it! This film is great fun!
31 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic Jackie Chan action movie
Step_CHY5 October 2020
Vanguard has some good comedy and adequate fight scenes!
32 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst Jackie chan movie i've seen it ever
reellanoo10 October 2020
It's miserable the CGI is disaster With funny cheap action sciences
28 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you enjoy Jackie Chan classics, you will love this movie!
leonardlyman2 November 2020
Another collaboration between Jackie Chan and Stanley Tong, another action classic that you cannot miss if you enjoyed their previous films!
22 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love the film!
macin2217 October 2020
Love the film! This film gives both comedic relief and stunned-packed action scenes. I feel that all the crew members did great and Jackie Chan, as always rock regardless of his age!
29 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Omg why do I even watched it.
maikayamaika4 October 2020
Why Jackie Chan did what he did IDK. There can be many reasons, why such actor take part in this project. But my eyes... they hurts while watching this movie. Totally not worth the time was spent.
38 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Legendary
alung19875 October 2020
Another epic action adventure created by Jackie Chan, that's why he's the living legend. Not as dangerous as his old time, but still well designed action scene.

The scene in the rapid is stunning, you can see in the behind-the-scenes footage that this is not simply shoot behind the green screen (which everyone else will do so nowadays).

Car chase scene is common, but you can see a new perspective in Vanguard.

I'm not a Jackie Chan fanboy, but I would say you should not miss this.
29 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpected
pspencer-7892627 October 2020
Story is easy to understand + exciting action, it is a good film that the whole family can enjoy.
23 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome action from Jackie Chan AGAIN!
kleinmarianne27 October 2020
Jackie Chan never disappoints! Another great action movie by Jackie Chan. Can't believe he is in his 60s and still does his own stunts. Unbelievable! The story is straightforward and entertaining. Exciting action every 10 minutes. Probably one of the best action movies during the time of the pandemic.
Another good stint from JC
charliiz23 October 2020
I have read a bunch of negative reviews, which I think it is really meant to brush down the movie and its casts. Personally, it is really not that bad considering there is a story line and JC's action as always, humour us :) To all those negative reviewers, it is just a movie. Kudos to Vanguard and Stanley Tong.
23 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie and young handsome guy
miaomiaosee18 October 2020
Watch this movie few times because of the handsome guy Yang Yang. His kungfu fighting and stunt action was great. This is ordinary Stanley Tong & Jackie Chan style stunt action movie , very nice and full of fun. I like it!
Don't miss it
peekabooliz5 October 2020
Can't miss film to watch during the lockdown, that can help you dive into the world of journeys, from London to Dubai, India and Africa!
26 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fantastic film
akrxwgzq7 October 2020
Jackie Chan is Jackie. Action scenes fantastic in this film. He is back with his awesome stunts and fast paced stylist actions.
29 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really want to see Vanguard 2 with same casts
shihwa5 October 2020
At first, i would like to say that Jackie he never disappoints us. A good thing is he takes care the young actors and actresses. I saw some BTS he teaches personally in every detail(y). Those young actors' action scenes are ok especially the handsome one made me search who he is. His name is Yang Yang,a traffic star in china. I am looking forward to his new project.
32 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dissappointtt
Mokum3829 November 2020
Worst movie I've ever seen. I looked like it's made by some students with Microsoft Powerpoint. This earns an exclusive genre.
15 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.