Voyagers (2021) Poster

(2021)

I loved it
mvezok2 May 2021
Proper, mainstream, SCIENCE Fiction, without mysticism or quasi-intellectualism.

Made me think about the state of the world and the democracy.

And the excitement built up as it should in a good story till the very end. No crappy ambiguity, as they often make them nowadays.

I recommend it.
66 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Frustrating nonsensical plot drags down everything
kaideneve5 May 2021
This movie is actually quite intriguing for the first 40 minutes or so. The set design is excellent, and along with cold emotionless expressions on the actors and shots of the mundane lives of the would-be colonists, helps to establish a plausible set-up with tons of potential. They know they're the first generation of a ship on a multi-generational voyage to colonize another planet, and may also be humanity's last hope of survival. Their grim personas express their awareness of this fact and that the mission is paramount. There's even a mysterious hint at an unexpected presence on the ship to add to the suspense.

Don't bother watching the second half though. As a lot of other reviews have mentioned, it tries to adapt a plot similar to Lord of the Flies, however the big difference here is that these teenagers are supposed to have been highly trained for this mission their entire lives, and are literally the future of humanity. They're not a ragtag group of students on a deserted island struggling for survival.

I don't think I need to use any spoilers for you to imagine how trying to shoehorn the Lord of the Flies plot into this situation leads to a trainwreck of a last half. The script takes a sharp turn into utter nonsense with ridiculous dialogue and characters actions. It is truly such a pity and a waste of a great set-up.

I will say that I was impressed with the performance of Tye Sheridan in particular, and Colin Farrell can rarely do wrong as well. The other main actors were decent at best, or just too weighed down by atrocious dialogue to make anything of their performances.

I'd recommend watching the first 40min or so (8/10) and then just walking away and imagining your own conclusion. Anything would be better than what transpired in the last half of Voyagers.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Cruising
kosmasp7 May 2021
The movie or story has quite a few themes that are interesting and could be described as deep. And especially early on, it feels like the movie tries to be sensible and might really go full head on with those issues. But than you realize it opts out - takes the easy (cliche) way and route. It sort of panders to the teenage audience it aims at.

Now I don't think it is bad overall - but I can see that some people felt offended (intellectually and otherwise) by the movie not taking the viewer seriously. It just isn't the philosophical movie you may expect it or want it to be. Still there are (predictable but still) enough twists and turns and tension to keep you on your toes .. of sorts. It depends on how much suspension of disbelief and how much slack you cut it ...
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
msbreviews8 April 2021
If you enjoy reading my Spoiler-Free reviews, please follow my blog :)

When people ask me my favorite genre, I usually reply with the admittedly annoying and cliche "I enjoy every type of film". While this is ultimately true, I do tend to love sci-fi and a couple of other genres more than the rest. I find sci-fi to be one of the most creative filmmaking sources, partially due to the infinite potential of its storytelling. From extraterrestrial life to an exploration of deep space, our world knows so little of what's beyond our planet, which makes the respective genre a perfect framework for imaginative, unique fiction. Voyagers features an interesting cast, but Neil Burger was behind the disappointingly hollow Divergent saga, so I couldn't help but go in with very low expectations.

Even anticipating a tough watch, I never thought Voyagers would be a contender for one of the worst flicks of the year. The general premise is far from being groundbreaking, even with the not-that-original spin that it puts on the "colonization of another planet" concept. Still, it's considered a formula because it worked on several other occasions. It just doesn't in this movie. The group of young people bred separately from the outer world could have received an innovative, inventive arc but instead follows an incredibly generic, dull, lazy character development path. The chaos and mayhem triggered by a single person - who just so happens to embody literally everything that's wrong with our society - is as extremely forced as it is utterly ridiculous.

In fact, it even raises logical questions regarding the premise of the film. Obviously, people can be born into the same place with the same education, morals, and everything that comes with growing up and still develop a distinct personality. However, Burger doesn't demonstrate why some characters end up challenging the authority and questioning their purpose. Everything happens because it needs to happen. A character performs an irrational action because the plot demands it. Most of the story development is given through absurdly childish dialogues, where a character repeatedly asks "why?" to someone with some sort of an answer.

Burger's screenplay barely survives due to the lack of any exciting characteristic. From an obviously misleading subplot to the frustratingly predictable main narrative, this movie carries zero surprises. The horrendously choppy, abrupt editing work (Naomi Geraghty) turns an already complicated watch into something borderline irritating. Add weirdly creepy, nonsensical imagery of random life events on completely arbitrary points of the runtime, and Voyagers becomes a really hard film to genuinely enjoy. With no flow between scenes, the primary mission is lost in the first minutes, and the characters fail to complete any resemblance of an arc.

Actually, it's ironically funny how Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark in Game of Thrones) continues the trend of not doing anything relevant in a movie or TV series. Unfortunately, not even the cast saves this disaster. Tye Sheridan (Dark Phoenix), Lily-Rose Depp (Crisis), and Fionn Whitehead (Dunkirk) try their hardest with the poor scripts, but some line deliveries are truly cringe-worthy. Colin Farrell's (The Gentlemen) character suffers from one of Burger's numerous bad decisions, ending up as yet another forgettable component of the film. The ending arrives way too fast, something that attests to the way too fast pacing.

In these cases where I struggle to find positives in the two pillars of any movie - story and characters - I turn to the technical elements to help me out. Sadly, Voyagers is one of the rare one-location films that doesn't feel suspenseful or claustrophobic, despite many efforts. From the surprisingly ordinary score (Trevor Gureckis) to the by-the-numbers camera work (Enrique Chediak), there's not a single aspect I can take with me as an "at least that was great" thought. I guess the set design looks futuristic enough for a spaceship, but once again, it's nothing viewers haven't seen before.

Voyagers holds a well-known, successful sci-fi formula and takes it through the most uninteresting, unsurprising, frustratingly generic development path. Neil Burger's screenplay fails to deliver a creative, captivating story with compelling characters, offering the complete opposite. From the terrible editing work to the extremely lazy plot development, passing through cringe-worthy dialogues and randomly weird, irrelevant imagery, it's tough to find a positive aspect in such a hollow movie. Even though most of the runtime is spent in a single location, the suspense levels are close to zero. The themes of the story are clear from the get-go, but the execution of almost every plot point or character action feels incredibly forced. The set design is the only technical component worthy of some appreciation. Not even a talented cast can overcome the awful scripts. A contender for one of the worst films of the year.

Rating: D-
106 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lord of the Flies in space
mikehole9 April 2021
A good concept to work with but could have been so much more. It looked good visually but really just devolved into a Lord of the Flies story in space.

Most of the acting was like watching a high school play, suitable to the young adult genre and so quite predictable. Entertaining nevertheless.
73 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All Fi no Sci.
nincubura7 May 2021
The writers cannot conceive that the best and brightest of Earth's future would be well educated in the science of psychology and emotional intelligence -- precicely because they have NONE! Instead they project their own arrested emotional development from social values of the 1800's.

Typical Hollywood gruel for the mindless lowest common denominator of the consumer masses, with a futuristic facade but a freeze dried soul.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a wasted opportunity
studioginger6 May 2021
The plot could be good if reasonably written, the whole script is meant to be a psychological thriller but it is missing the right scale, how can you miss something if you never had it.

Also how to get over many years of hormones in a couple of days when you never really felt them... Pity such a loss of time and money.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lord of the Flies with a twist
bwc-maneke22 April 2021
The Twist is its in Space and just gets stupid after that.

These "Characters" are bad joke, everything about this wreaks of bad writing and is utterly taboo. I was hoping the entire time of an actual alien or atleast a simulation hell I would have settled for a fake ship inside a NASA Vacuum Tube in a study to test the human mind when exposed to deep space and isolation.

Instead its stupidity followed by even dumber dialog! Not to mention that somehow we were able to travel to another star system that isn't Proxima Centauri in 86years

Skip this save your brain cells.
63 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring, disconnected, and irrational.
amycarender12 April 2021
This went off the rails pretty quickly. Definitely written as if someone with no knowledge of any sciences outside of what they see on TV was trying to plan an essential mission to another planet - so, it's a mess. A lot of it doesn't make sense, but I get told to just pretend it away, so I tried that...

And it's still a nonsensical mess made up of a bunch of (apparently) the world's most sociopathic teenagers, most of whom have no sense of self-preservation whatsoever, and a couple of Spock types who sort-of-kind-of try a little bit. But they still act like they didn't spend their entire existence training for EXACTLY THIS.

None of these kids has any desire to live past tomorrow? You're going to try to convince me that the majority of humans' honest natures are irreparably evil and excited to die (because we don't come pre-programmed with the innate desire to procreate and continue surviving in their reality)? Even the imagery used as now-adult kids are experiencing emotions for the first time feels hollow, like a failed attempt at mimicry. A bad impression of emotion and sensation. Someone making this movie had a deep misconception of sociology and psychology, along with physics and astronomy.

I can ignore some annoying science misconceptions, but the idea that the majority of humans are, in their truest selves, absolutely selfish, self-centered, ignorant, lust-driven, murderous, and purely evil gets ridiculously extreme. I could get behind a little stupidity, but this much of it is just chaotic to the point that it's boring. Like watching a room full of nap-less toddlers play Space Force.

Just be ready for everything to go downhill as soon as Colin Farrell's character is gone. Somehow the person who spends the smallest portion of their life on this mission is the one with the most character development. His character is the only one that's easy to identify with, although Lily Rose Depp is a slightly robotic close second. At least that's who her character is supposed to be.

Fionn Whitehead isn't very exciting in his antagonist role. He feels like a 13-year-old trying to play sociopath, like he may not have studied this role and instead chose just to do Manson-eyes at the camera really badly. He's a terrible villain.

All in all, the only person associated with this movie that I could believe is a sociopath is the writer. And maybe whoever else is in charge that made the decision that this would either make sense or be a good movie.
66 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Premises then......
denkyiwhite6 May 2021
This movie had potential. The cast are awesome. Fantastic young actors and actresses but then the script is terrible. Made them look bad. It started pretty well but then went downhill. Am very disappointed. Hours that i can't get back.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Run for your lives
theobcosta12 April 2021
Stay away. Please. Send help.

Bad.

Just very boring. No plot. Bad acting. Go watch frozen or something.
72 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Familar premise, but the worst of the lot.
MK_Ultra_13 April 2021
I can sum this up quite tidily, as the premise of isolation in space while trying to explore for habitable worlds is nothing new and found this one to plod along quite predictably.

If I might suggest a film that is much more well made and palatable; Clair Denis' "High Life" from 2018. Art-house as it is uniquely provoking and well shot that files easily as one of the best of the similar sci-fi premise.
48 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lord of the no Surprise..
garystride7 May 2021
Same generic story line seen in many films and books but this one is in space. Humans are bad but we can be good too... and of course it ends where you want the story to begin...
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
tombrady-7550011 April 2021
Not many people in the cinema to see this. It's had no meat to it.
58 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A { VERY 👏💥 } Intelligent, Thought-Provoking 🔥 Movie, Stylistically & Visually FABULOUS ; But 1 That's Somewhat { "DIVERGENT" } From Its MPAA Certified PG-13 Rating 🤷‍♀️🤷
A "Good, Old Fashioned" -{ B i g }- Screen Review .

______________________________________________________

Christopher : " Maybe this is our true nature " .

Richard : " That's a profound thought " .

______________________________________________________

-{ All }- Directors , & -{ All }- Artists , Frankly... Are 👉{ Constantly }👈 being " inspired " by prior artistic works, & " borrow " from them far more often than we may 'readily' be prepared to admit. I would like to make it -Clear- that this most certainly 👉{ Is - Not - }👈 the same thing as 'stealing', 'plagiarizing', or 'ripping-off'. For the reviewers here that have callously accused this " Viscerally-Exciting 🌌❗" picture's super-Talented Director, Neil Burger ( known best for the critically rejected yet -Popularly- massive "Divergent", 2014 ) of doing just that ; I'd be 'Willing-To-Bet', that if Nobel Laureate William Golding ( - Author, 'Lord Of The Flies', 1954 - ) ; could opine on the matter, he would be Unequivocal ✅ in lavishing praise on -{ This }- particular iteration..... { of that age-old " Darkness Of Man ( -& Woman's- ) Heart ( -etc.- ) " theme } .....presented here as a grand-scale, well, " Cinematic Thought-Experiment " , of sorts. The pointed, Unbridled critique of the frailty of human nature 🙇‍♂️ offered in the movie, along with its appropiately-paced, and Unabashed, study of how serious immorality can rear its ugly head in, literally, -{ Any }- Given social setting, is quite frankly, nothing less than " Fascinating " . Even as a work of Art, & in 'Its-own-right' , the film works ". Beautifully 🌠 " . Moreover, the -( somewhat ) fresh-faced ensemble of 'Up-and-comers', led by none other than Veteran actor Colin Farrell, render their -( very often )- " Deliberately-Subdued " performances, for the most part , " To An Absolute Freaking Tee " .

Summary : Alas, I know in my heart that I -{ Must }- take a -{ Whole }- Point off this ( ' eventually ' ) fiery & riveting thriller's overall score, & here's why, in a nutshell : " As a -Parent- you'd have to be quite ' bonkers { 💥❗} ' , really, to take your Darling 13 year old into this picture " : & that is -{ Not }- an exaggeration. Also, I feel that this -{ Should }- have been a -{ Slightly }- longer film, exploring a few " Key " aspects of the story in greater depth. So, from me, all told, that's going to be a ' Pandemic Considerate ' , although still -{ Decidedly }- " Invigorated " ....7.50 Marks Out Of 10 🚀 🔥 .
75 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
lacking depth
ollivernick7 May 2021
I felt like this was missing a lot of information, just scenes of hanging out and talking quietly while staring at each other with not much context i find it strange that these kids are taught how to run a spaceship but can manage right from wrong....
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lord of the Flies but in SPACE!!!
rahat-10170605 May 2021
Made me think about human nature specially self destruction. Lot of unresolved things.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable plot, flat boring characters
vgrenich14 April 2021
The premise had potential. It presented interesting themes and concepts. But never managed to rise above a predictable plot and flat characters. Any interesting concepts that were presented were not fully explored and were largely overshadowed by the movies flaws.
40 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Teenagers Were In Charge (aka Lord of the Flies)
pwolf-900-52863411 April 2021
Like the other reviewers, this had so much potential to be a great movie, but the writers and director chose to go with Lord of the Flies in space. If they would have done a continuation of Passengers (Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence), where their kids have to survive, then that would have been more interesting.

Instead, the just made all the teenagers annoying, except for two, to show good overcomes evil.
40 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another worst film! Full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Not recommended!
kwenchow4 May 2021
This film start with a woman having speech with her student, and the introduction of a mentor "Richard" scene! As turnout, this film is about a crew of 30 astronauts need to survive in the spaceship, after Richard been killed! Entire film full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Such as, overuse of the long angle slow motion scene, overuse of the drinking scene, overuse of the smelling scene, overuse of the eating scene, overuse of the hallucinate scene, overuse of the growing plant scene, overuse of the walking scene, overuse of the chasing scene, overuse of the running scene, overuse of the arguing scene, overuse of the calling names scene, overuse of the monitoring scene, overuse of the kissing scene, overuse of the watching video diary scene! Make the film unwatchable! Barely intense scene is, Christopher, and Sela running away from Zac, who keep shooting at them! At the end, after 86 years live in the spaceship, the crew of astronauts finally arrive at the new planet! That's it! Another disappointed film!
10 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
stephleerson8 April 2021
This movie is surprisingly good, me and my friebds really liked it, it is interesting and intense and thrilling. It is defenitley worth 2 hours of your time.
49 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie
I thought this was a relevant movie for the current state of times we are in. Different than the other space movies that have been coming out lately, and I thought the acting was good; it was refreshing to see new faces.
43 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just... why
killmonday6 May 2021
Interesting, well cinematographed concept with plotless plot, characterless characters. I was literally dying.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whats with the hate
chinemeremukaegbu19 April 2021
This movie is actually pretty good. 10 for directing, 8 for story and a 10 for social commentary. All i got to say is if you like real sifi you will like this.
55 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lord of the Flies in space
karelynnb12 April 2021
Yet another attempt to portray human beings behaving badly without rules & order to keep them in line! Watchable but predictable...
32 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.