Black Beach (2020) Poster

(2020)

Surely underrated, but worth a watch !!!
ngbrice2 February 2021
This movie deserves WAY MORE than a 5/10. It clearly points out how worthless african lives are, to corrupt politicians and unscrupulous multinationals. I wish we had more movies of this kind !!!
20 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seriously?
TopDawgCritic10 February 2021
Filmmakers forget that Rotten Tomatoes exists, and with the real Top Critics rating this at 40% and Audience Score at 33%, writing all these clearly shill reviews is a flagrant deceit. Out of the current twenty reviews, all 17 above a 5/10 are fake.

This film was too long, slowly paced, and tried to be more than it was. The story had major plot and technical issues and didn't make any sense. It seemed like a "blender screenplay" - a bunch of stories blended into one. Nothing was clear on what had happened, or what was happening. Then to end it in such a lame boring way was the icing on the cake. The awesome cinematography is all it had going for it. Directing was ok, but this needed serious editing and to cut the 110 min runtime to at the most 90 mins with a more cohesive script. Raúl Arévalo was horrible as the lead with his expressionless and bored demeanor. Such great location sets and clearly a big budget, that sadly went to a terrible screenplay and just as bad editing. It's 110 minutes of my time that went to waste. So never mind the shill high reviews, stroll over to Rotten Tomatoes if you're looking for honest and accurate feedback. The filmmakers should be ashamed of themselves resorting to these tactics.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Totally Unbeliveable story and
bshaef13 February 2021
Bad acting. The lead actor apparently thinks scowls get his message across. They don't. After a while it was sort of comic. In real life he would have been killed ten times over while in the third world country. Not worth my time.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow.....
elainagray8 February 2021
Good grief this is dull. 40 mins in, it's just full of uninteresting characters and over explaining dialogue about lots of other characters who we haven't met so it doesn't make sense. Classed as 'action and adventure'.....I've seen more action in the Antiques Roadshow.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Script Writing OUCH.
kevinmaclellan011 February 2021
Poorly written and confusing story. Difficult to follow. Difficult to feel empathy for anything. Action was just a slow burner, lots of mafia style killing in one part but no real explanation. I think they were trying to portray the brutality of the military. But I failed to understand its purpose to a very weak plot. Yeah, the movie deserves low ratings and should even be lower. Don't waste your time. I think you can find better ways to waste time than Black Beach.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor acting
ahs438 February 2021
Great concept, but poor acting, and very predictable.

The concept is good and it shows some realities of Africa in a way that is just to historical context. However, the plot is predictable and the acting is forced similar to the Wasp Network.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just... don't.
giorgiobonfiglio11 February 2021
Confusing plot, mixed with unexciting action. Concept could have been interesting (hence why I'm rating 4 star) but it's poorly developed, with a lot of missed opportunities.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What Was That All About?
packmanproductions19 February 2021
Black Beach is like showing up for a movie twenty minutes into it. Some guy from Spain is supposed to go to an African country to try and get a kidnapped American engineer back. Some people he used to know were the kidnappers. The country's army gets involved trying to get some documents back to prevent a corrupt government from taking over. The guy's wife is almost nine months pregnant. His mom works as a diplomat in the United Nations. A lot of people get killed. The guy decides to raise the kidnapper's son whom he may have fathered. There's is so much going on that by the time it was done I didn't know what the hell I'd just watched. In the end, all I know is that the guy is unemployed, he has a new daughter and the boy he brought home likes to take baths. If you feel the need to be confused, then, by all means, watch this movie.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great political comedy.
pawelpap8 February 2021
Particularly amusing is The Guardian, the lefty newspaper in the role of a beacon of truth. Note the movie is about power of special interests, but the producers tell us the very same journal that did everything in its power to overthrow the first POTUS in generations not indebted to special interests to be a the arbiter of objective truth. I haven't laughed so heartily in years!
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Concha Campins is not producer
obradorsana20 November 2020
Dear Sir/Madam, Concha Campins appears as Producer, she was only Production Manager during a small part of shooting in Ghana, please make correction
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth watching the story unfolds very well
traceytak3 February 2021
I'll admit for about the first half hour I was thinking to myself do I want to continue as I am watching Spanish films to learn the language (I'm English) but I followed this film through to the end and was engrossed the more the story enfolded. I m glad that I didn't get put off by the rating, hence the score. Underrated, the main actor had me rooting for him which says to me that he was very good.
8 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time!!!
neshane19 February 2021
What a useless movie. Just wasted my Friday night with this. Why do people even make such meaningless movies anymore? Can't they really think this is a flop while they are writing it? Waste of time!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
well done, worth watching
joshlanewellness4 February 2021
Well done, good mix of action, good plot twists, characters have some depth, worth watching
6 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't know why the low rating?
gizmo-030949 February 2021
5.2? That seems extradinarily low for an entertaining, tense and decent budget Netflix movie. Ok, the first half is slow, admittedly, but from then on you have a very exciting and tense thriller, up there with Hollywood production quality. The story is basic, as one might expect with a thriller, but the characters are decently acted and the script is enough to keep your attention, without any boring bits. I would give this a 7.5, but as halfs aren't allowed, I bumped it up to an 8. It is worth a watch.
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not always an easy task to decode about powerful people at powerful places
ridi-arahan10 February 2021
What worked: The strongest aspect of the movie that caught my attention has to be the African culture that I was able to discover, at least superficially. Around half the movie is in Africa and that's fun to watch. The movie has an interesting screenplay that has a scope for a fine movie, if not a great one. What did not work: Screenplay was okay and the movie started fine. It went downwards afterwards. The narrative gets corrupted and mingled in between making it messier and unattractive. I think the movie could have been a better watch if the execution was done better. The editing and action sequences in Africa were not well choreographed. The movie had mediocre acting, an average plot execution making it a superficial project wanting to be smart and intelligent. The movie is not without plotholes. Final verdict: it's an okay movie about something familiar in an unfamiliar settings
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore uptight critics
brantelid6 February 2021
I never listen to 'professional' critics, as I feel they are up their own egotistical a**holes. Not a fast moving movie but still interesting to watch and get caught up in. I liked it.
3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than expected
pedro3800857 February 2021
I recommend it. The story unfolds well. Ending is unexpected.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME
funkjunk-0065728 February 2021
This movie was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!! I would not recommend. It was slow the entire movie, it was long and pointless. I absolutely do not recommend!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting Movie which deserves more credit
totalmotorola6 February 2021
This movie is all about corruption up to the United Nations. No wonder the US is sick and tired of donating millions of dollars to this institution. The productions is quite impressive however more ADR sound is much needed technically.
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To spend the afternoon.
faer_kr5 February 2021
A drama with touches of a Spanish thriller. It has no action, the only action is that of the trailer. It is about a Spanish businessman who goes to Africa to look for a kidnapped person and fix a problem that leaves them money, but what he finds is far from that. Quality. Entertaining. Good effects and shots, only in two moments they are fully achieved. Good performances. A Spanish-African mix like "Adú". It has some slightly confusing moments so you have to follow it all. The ending is disconcerting and somewhat abrupt for the entire sequence that it takes. Talk about corruption, power, the corrupted politics of countries, how the system deceives us and does not let you climb. The only problem is a chase scene where they can't stop the protagonist and everyone has guns. To spend the afternoon.
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth watching, good acting
MaiPS13 February 2021
The plot has several twists and kept be interested all along. Don't agree with other users saying the story is confusing or slow, definitely under rated!
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see
coltstewart469 February 2021
Stellar acting and an interesting story from Spanish origins. Dubbed in English for easy viewing by Anglophiles. This gritty and gripping story of life and death in the world of international politics. This movie has it all: love, violence, hope, corruption, greed and the vulnerability of the human heart.
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated , deserves 8 or 9/10
yvesdemaria8 February 2021
Very good adventure / thriller movie set mostly in Africa.

Interesting original story.

1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Production , profound story, excellent acting.
edgardoespinozanavarro8 February 2021
This film deserves a lot more recognition, it has an excellent plot and the production is almost impecable, the sound is a bit defective in some outside scenes, but besides that is a film that veryone needs to see. The story has social and political elements and a heartfelt story within also.
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Confused
tinacasu9 March 2021
Very confusing storyline, tried to follow but you don't really know what is going on. Bad acting and directing. I am writing this review as I am watching because I am so bored!! Save your time please.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.