Along Came the Devil 2 (2019) Poster

Mr. Green with a Knife in the Bedroom.
nogodnomasters2 November 2019
The title begs two questions. 1) When does the devil come along? 2) Did I have to watch the first one to see this one?

The film doesn't open with a recap but at 40 minutes into the film, it talks about what happened in the first feature. Jordan (Laura Wiggins) comes home to her estranged father (Mark Ashworth) and family in hopes of locating her sister who is "away" with her aunt. The film opens with Reverend Michael (Bruce Davison) reciting the Catholic version of the "Lord's Prayer" most likely because it is shorter and was getting boring. Not as good as the first one which really wasn't that good to begin with.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity. Looks like there will be a part 3.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A solid, spooky Halloween treat for horror fans
basementreviews11 October 2019
So how does one watch a sequel to a movie he's never seen?

This is the question I asked heading into Along Came the Devil II, as I haven't watched Along Came the Devil, and nothing I'd read about it makes me want to. But I had an interview lined up with the sequel's lovely star, Laura Slade Wiggins, and wanted to do my due diligence prior to our conversation.

So I read some Cliff's Notes on the first one, pushed play on the screener, and was pleasantly surprised... at least for the most part. Things start with a bang, slow down for about 30 to 35 minutes, and then deliver all the goods in the final act. So solid first act, great last act, and a slow middle.

The film is aided by the great Bruce Davison, who can act his way around anything. He plays a troubled priest left over from the first movie, who's faced the Devil and believes that evil force has returned. Kudos as well to Ms. Slade Wiggins. She does some solid scream-queen work here, and is a strong female lead, keeping the SQ tradition alive.

Writer/director Jason DeVan might not offer anything new, but his film looks great and moves at a pretty fast clip. And he can stage a scare. The man's studied the genre, and knows what we're here for. Next time, there needs to be boobies though, Jason. Just FYI.

I'm going to give Along Came the Devil II a Good. I'd of liked a slightly faster paced middle act, but this was still a slick, creepy and well-made movie. Shawn concurs, and gives it a Good as well.
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Along Came the Devil 2 Review
reynoldshorror11 October 2019
No one is going to say 'Along Came the Devil 2' is a groundbreaking sequel, but what writer/director/producer Jason DeVan serves up is unsettling to say the least. Oozing with dread and atmospheric doom, this film captures the ragged edges of a family thrust into the depths of horror.

Jordan (Laura Slade Wiggins) receives a disturbing phone call about a missing family member and rushes back to her old home town. Equally disturbing when she arrives is the remnants of her relationship with her estranged father (Mark Ashworth), who is trying to pick up the pieces and bring their father-daughter relationship to a place of healing. Plagued with flashbacks of his former abusive alcoholic days, we see that Dad is in fact, trying his best to move forward. Helping wounds heal is Revered Michael (Bruce Davison), the local priest that knows all too well of the family's troubled history.

Jordan decides, maybe prematurely, to stay at her father's home where we meet her younger brother, Xander (Cassius DeVan) and Mark's new-ish wife, Karen (Tiffany Fallon). I got the feeling that no matter what crimes filled the past, Mark and his family are trying their best to make Jordan comfortable in her awkward stay, despite some intense moments that crop up along the way. Films, horror films in particular, are often times terrible at painting realistic families, but this film does a great job of showcasing the hurt and hopefulness.

Before long, Jordan is getting together with old friends and learning terrible facts about her missing relative, facts that all come knocking in the brutal third act. The setup for the final act felt a little forced to me, but they all come together in a gruesome climax that I wasn't expecting.

This film does a killer job of keeping us on our toes, not relying solely on predictable jump scares, but rather through palpable suspense and even misdirection. Scares can be cheap, but DeVan knows how to set up the real terror. Fans of blood and guts will appreciate the twisted climax, as will fans of supernatural horror. All in all, this wasn't what I expected. Dutifully acted and directed, 'Along Came the Devil' was a welcome treat in the over-abundant Halloween movies tricks that we endure every October. My final score for this one is a respectable B-.

'Along Came the Devil 2' slithers into theaters and VOD on October 11th.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wasted 1.30 hours from my time
o_kudaimati17 October 2019
Very bad movie i think this not movie its horror story for kids before sleep
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Solid Indie Horror Flick!
scottiemayor22 October 2019
DeVan Clan Productions have really stepped things up from the enjoyable first installment. Along Came The Devil II does a great job showcasing the growth of these filmmakers as it offers more cohesion, scares and another dose of the awesome Bruce Davison. It even managed to get me with a jump scare, which is a rarity. While it's not perfect, it is one of my favorite indie horrors from the year so far. I think people tend to judge indie films too harshly. Perhaps because they don't realize how insanely difficult and impressive it is to complete a low budget film, secure distribution and put your art out there into the world. That or they're just those with keyboards and way too much time on their hands. Either way, I hope you can look past the trolls and support these talented filmmakers. I for one am looking forward to whatever they bring us next.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Run don't walk and stay away from this movie
djbvk2120 October 2019
Absolutely horrible- waste of time and money. No point to this movie at all
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GREAT MOVIES
wheels-8280315 October 2019
LOVE BOTH OF THEM. THERE BETTER BE AT LEAST A THIRD ONE ASAP....
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your time, it's pathetic.
gribsta29 October 2019
This is the worst horror film I have ever seen. It's as though the writer didn't know any creative way to finish the film and if you do have to punish yourself by watching it then you'll get to the end and realise what I'm talking about. You won't be refunded the hour and a half that it costs to watch it.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Move along, nothing new to see here
finetunes5 January 2021
Totally uninspired low budget movie and sequel with most of the budget used to hire one actor with any star power, Bruce Davidson ( who I love). He must have been a friend of the family to join because this production had nothing to offer. The script was an uninspired ripoff of The Exorcist. Without a decent script, the actors, who were okay, could contribute only so much. No exotic settings, just a few houses in suburbia America and no special effects to speak of. Plain vanilla storytelling with no style or character development. The production team should have studied "Babadook" if they wanted to see horror done properly.
A Well-Crafted Mess
eabra4846314 October 2020
It's hard to know what to make of this movie. Overall, it is well-acted with good production values and it has a creepy premise. Despite all of this, it's just not very good. It's not scary, even the parts that should frighten us. What takes place on screen is just not compelling enough to pull in the viewer to allow us to feel threatened (and scared). We don't get to know enough about any of the characters to care what happens to them. Because the film fails to draw us in, it fails to creep us out.
Beyond basic...(plot explained)
mvike6 October 2020
You know those sequels where none of the original cast wants to return, so they make the main character out of someone who was a minor one in the previous film? That's this.

It is taken straight from early 2000s possession 101. It's got all the tropes, and doesn't do anything well. Then even more lame is the final 30 so minutes become a pure slasher film. Oh the killer/possessed has your standard black eyes too.

It adds absolutely ZERO to the first film, which though also not good, was way better than THIS. No clue how this has a higher rating...at least part 1 had a halfway decent possession.

I promise this is nothing you haven't seen 50x or more...right down to it's tired jump scare ending scene...

Here's the plot quickly..

Begins w/ older sister getting the voicemail the aunt made in part 1. Who rushes home to meet her father who is now a "saved" man, and Father Michael. She's told her sister and aunt went out of town...the whole movie is spent with her waiting for them to return, and the waiting game for the father to go back to being nasty. Bigggg twist...the father gets possessed so he's evil again (yawn) and goes on a slasher movie rampage, he even uses an axe!!!! Haha...so original eh? We find out Aunt is actually in a catatonic state of shock due to first film, though we never see her once...Older sister saves her younger half brother and they kill their possessed father...Father Michael gets arrested, and the possessed Sarah (and likely Ashely as well) gets released, attacking Father Michael with a jump scare ending. We are not shown what became of big sis and the little brother but assumed they escaped or whatever. The end.
Again, Not Very Good
dana-kellish10 August 2020
I did like the sequel slightly more than the original. The major problem with ACTD 2 is that 70% of the film is simply dull, which is the kiss of death for a horror film. The ending improves on the previous hour and ten minutes or so, which made watching it just barely worth it. And why can't characters in scary movies EVER do what normal people would do and switch on a light?
Horror
geeksatthemovie21 October 2019
This is great new movie. It is nice to see new things and the feel of old school. The lighting was great. Often a dark horror is hard to see what is going on. They did great job of allowing you to see and feel the horror. Love the jump scares.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the hell is this gabage?
jantje_vredesburger27 July 2020
If you are one of those people who got a fetish for people crying and sobbing the whole f-in movie and don't want to watch a horror movie..without actuall real good horror (Besides the cheap, generic jump scares) Then this is the movie for you!! The makers didn't spend NO time at all, thinking about what makes a good horror movie. NO time at all.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BEST SCARE IN A HORROR MOVIE EVER!!!
melmelduarte20 October 2019
The scares in this movie are very original! This movie is a great sequel, loved it!
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clichè
shadowbender6266 December 2019
Just another overused plot. Poor effects, poor acting and bad script. This was a waste of time. Its only decent for a background noise.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.