Jiu Jitsu (2020) Poster

(2020)

Wow
handsomefacedave21 March 2021
For me this movie was like a train wreck, even though it's terrible you just can't look away! Watching this was an internal battle for me. The greatest fight sequence in this film will not be on the actual screen, but will be fought internally. Between your higher self wanting to stop wasting your own time, and your lower self wanting to laugh and see if it could possibly get any worse!

Nicholas Cage I love many of your films. But this, like quite a few of the unfortunate choices of movies you've been in, I have to ask, what were you thinking? I guess money is money? Lol, of course, it's easy for me to be making comments from the sidelines I suppose, so what do I know? But oof! This was so bad! But heck, it was fun to have a few drinks and make fun of this! So, I give it 5 stars for entertainment quality! Lol
32 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shockingly bad.
jessecarmichael15 April 2021
From the dialogue to the fight choreography, I can't believe they make movies this bad these days, especially with what should be a pretty decent cast. Watch it for comedy value if you're bored enough.
27 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes battlefield earth look like a masterpiece
sprobley5 April 2021
This movie is so bad. It's no even one of those movies that is so bad it's funny...its just rubbish. I watched it to the end to see if it would get better, but it doesn't.
43 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1 star is generous
jenny-9139919 April 2021
This is the worst film I've ever seen in my life. The special affects were abysmal, the acting was awful, I don't even think they did any Jiu Jitsu either.
25 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't know?!
filipgavrilovic16 April 2021
Some people might see value in it. I really tried. All I could think was this is the unholy love child of kung fu panda and predator.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jiu jitsu is a movie with no jiu jitsu.
gabberth25 April 2021
This movie is just so bad.. You'd think there would be some jiu jitsu in a movie that's called Jiu jitsu.. But no.. Nicolas Cage + the lack of jiu jitsu.. Its just horrible...
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't even bother!!
zimdonal18 April 2021
I decided to give this a go , for Nick Cage's sake, but Wow, mistake of mistakes, 20 minutes in I had to give up it's Utter dreck, so a few nights later after a few beers , I tried again!!!! Just Don't, it really is Horrible, how this junk got made I'll never know, just save yourself, and stay Far Away!!!
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious
jaydavismcse30 March 2021
The the premise was hilarious. The CGI was hilarious. Nicolas Cage's acting was hilarious. All In All you have to take this movie as completely tongue-in-cheek. I gave this movie a 7 because it was hilarious however had I taken it seriously I probably would have given it a 2.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jiu Jitsu is really Joke Jitsu
peterk72727 April 2021
This is one of the worst movies I have yet to see. There is a lot of staged martial arts fighting and if you like that this movie may be for you. The story is really silly and the acting is really second-rate at best. Maybe its really the terrible writing or maybe its the terrible directing, I just can't make up my mind what was worse. When you start to watch this movie you're not sure if its a serious movie or a comedy. By the middle of the movie you really do not care and you can practice speed watching this movie using the fast forward key. I feel almost as bad for the actors in this movie as I do for the people that watched this movie. But at least the actors got paid.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nic Cage
giga-330159 April 2021
He made a 106 movies, I have another 32 left to watch.
32 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Tony Jaa wasn't in it I wouldn't have watched it.
andyosbourne6616 April 2021
The martial arts in the movie was decent,Tony Jaa wasn't at his best but I watched the movie because of him being in it. I've seen much better martial arts movies by far. The action in it wasn't bad. The story to the film was quite poor,I could clear.y see other parts from other movies in this film.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dizzying Camera Effects
lachlanburleigh25 April 2021
Unfortunately the filming is so bad that it makes me feel motion sick! Tried skipping the fight scenes but wasnt enough, had to turn it off.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mr Cage, you OK??
metahumanity_014 May 2021
I will grant a generous 2 stars to this...thing. First star for existing, second for getting actors..
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Baby's first After Effects project, or, Nicolas Cage really needs money
darcynader29 April 2021
The title of my review says it all. Effects feel like they're based on out of the box AE filters. Forget everything you know about basic film making techniques, because you won't need them here. Someone needs to tell this director that you need to slow down footage shot of miniatures, otherwise they look like tiny boats in a bathtub.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This would be good, if...
wicher-bos11 April 2021
They condensed it to 20 minutes... Especially the beginnen is slow, with lots of unnecessary 'fake' action... The dance like action continues throughout the movie, which makes it boring to watch at certain times... The storyline is simply too simple or basic to carry a full length movie... Sorry..l.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasn't sure what movie I was watching
staunton-gary16 January 2021
Thought this was going to be really good for 2020 movie, but it's only just above average. It was said that Nicolas Cage always wanted to make a martial arts movie, maybe if he'd put some work into learning some of the moves that he wouldn't have had the double to step in and do the moves. Granted, he did do a couple of moves himself, but a fail on effort. Alain Moussi (Jake) and his stupid looking "blank expression" when trying to remember stuff degrades his cred further, each time he does it. Marie Avgeropoulos (Myra) wasn't convincing as an intelligence officer and I thought that she would have been more involved. Thankfully, there were no romantic scenes involving Cage, that would have lost another 2 stars. Eddie Steeples (Tex) was obviously cast as comic relief, but wasn't given the air time to do so. Rick Yune (Captain Sand) wasn't used enough either, even Frank Grillo (Harrigan) felt underused. The cast was there, the story felt unfinished, although complete, and there's some cringe too. I would recommend with a couple of warnings.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made for a certain audience
matthewdfrost24 March 2021
This movie is in fact awful, but imo intentionally so. If you like watching dubbed 70s kung-fu movies with awful acting and cheesy plot, this is for you. If you want a serious action movie with grounded mechanics don't bother. This movie is for folks that want to turn their brain off and enjoy truly awful acting that pretty much makes fun of itself.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nicolas Cage and Tony Jaa!!
World-viewer17 May 2021
Just watched this monstrosity out of curiosity as Nic Cage was in it. Regardless of the quality of the movie, one thing is for sure - Nicolas Cage sure is a prodigious film maker. One really has to admire the fact that he just keeps pumping out these straight to video movies as if they were Knight Rider episodes from the 80s. One after that other with clockwork regularity, he puts them out. He REALLY likes making movies. AND he puts his heart into the role, no matter how silly the movie. One HAS to admire that. And despite his advancing years, he's still got the moves. He's fitter than most men his age or even many younger stars.

So, put aside your criticisms - yes this is a silly movie - it's not to be taken too seriously - A Ninja meets Predator mashup - have fun with it. Nic Cage is doing his best to entertain you and he's far better at it than Steven Segal. And as a bonus Tony Jaa is also in it! I really hope he makes a comeback into mainstream movies - I do have a soft spot for the guy. (Also Tony) Keep at it Nikky!!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just don't wate your time. HORRIBLE movie
dinogv29 April 2021
What a waste of time... One of the movie when you telling yourself what the heck was this...
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW!!
jaysavage-1243225 April 2021
With a cast that includes Marie Avgeropoulos, Rick Yune, Tony Jaa and Frank Grillo the only thing that could make a movie suck this bad has to be the Nicholas Cage curse!! Everything he's been in over the last decade has been absolute garbage... IMO. I couldn't even sit through 40 minutes of this crap.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad its good
santos-9166630 November 2020
It's based on a comic book so of course it's very over the top but for being a Predator vs Mortal Kombat rip off you will enjoy it if like me, that's your thing. Can't wait for Mystery Science Theater to do this movie.
31 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reviews are little low, give it a watch if you like action
lordtimon26 March 2021
Ninjas versus Aliens. Nic Cage being Nic Cage. Add Frank. Grillp and Tony Jaa and you have a poor man's Expendables. Moussi is wooden, but the action is solid. Yes it's Predator and Mortal Combat, kinda. But a fun filled adventure and it gets the most important aspects of a campy movie like this right.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Don't
Traveller20217 May 2021
Awful movie, wooden acting, terrible script, ropey effects and quite simply one of the worst performances from Nicholas Cage, which is quite difficult since he can't act for toffee and every role he does is terrible.

Don't waste any time or any money on this film. If you do, you will regret it.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
krisztina-balyi5 May 2021
Waste of time, couldn't finish the movie! Was not interested at all!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Non stop martial arts
kostas_Fourkiotis3 January 2021
Ok that movie is not going to win an oscar and it does not claim it either. The plot is as simple as it gets. The movie clearly focuses on the action. There are long fighting scenes, nice acrobatic moves, nice photography as the film is shot in Cyprus and a funny Nicolas Cage. Not bad if you have an hour and a half to spend without thinking.
9 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.