Jiu Jitsu (2020) Poster

(2020)

Inspired by Van Damme's Predator?
destroyerwod15 January 2021
We all know now that at one point Jean-Claude Van Damme was in the early version of the Predator suit, but he got fired because director told him he didn't want the Predator to do kickboxing... Well it looks like someone remembered that and taught it was a good idea and wanted to make a movie out of it.

I got a mix of opinions on this movie to be honest. First of all there is some very good action. The direction could had been a bit better, i mean camera work, sound effects etc but Tony Jaa, Alain Moussi and Juju Chan are legit on screen martial artists and it show. There some very good choreography in this and even guys like Frank Grillo and Nicolas Cage manage to pull out some very cool stuff. A few special effects tough were horrendous, the kind of CGI that seem to come out of a Youtube video like Angry Joe Show. Like when done as a parody and low level youtube vid, its cool, but in a real movie, it looks so fake and pull you out of the movie. Thanksfully there is not a lot of them.

The bigger problem in my opinion is in the story and how it unfold. First act of the movie is really disjoincted and seem to not really led nowhere, it could had been presented in a much better way. I feel it only serve so we can see some kickass human on human martial arts, wich again those scenes are cool to watch, but its just hard to care much about the characters.

Now the Alien creature. Alright, so the suit is kinda cool, and im not against a kung fu Predator concept, but ultimately the whole concept seem flawed. The creature like to fight those chosen humans with honor and all, but then he has some kind of abilities that kinda defeat the entire purpose in my opinion. I think it would had worked much better if the suit just made him more resistant and he was just stronger and a better martial artist than the humans.

As for the name "Jiu Jitsu", well there is a bit of it in some fights but its mostly Muai Thai, Kung Fu and flips, and the way the movie use the term in defining the protagonist just don't make much sense.

Overall i think this movie has some cool ideas, some good action, but the screenplay really needed more work and the budget could had been a bit bigger. If i can put a little advice in there, cgi fire as low budget just do not work, definately go practical unless you need to blow up entire buildings in big productions. I mean a little bit of powder is not the most costly thing.

Still i salute the director's effort to present us some cool action with a pretty solid cast of martial artists. Its definately not the terrible movie some peoples make it to be if you are use to lower budget direct to VOD/DVD. But its not one you will remember and talk about or want a sequel like Undisputed 3 or such.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not that bad at all !!
dekkerted8 January 2021
It starts off a bit slow, we were almost about to give up. But don't. It all becomes clear soon, and then it's very interesting. Shades of a familiar theme (no spoilers) which if you like Sci-Fi and defending Earth type action you'll appreciate. Sadly, it's no stunner, but if you persevere through the confusing, dare I say a bit much where everybody with MMA/Jiu Jitsu seems to fight, this becomes a reasonable movie. Take it as it is for a bit of Sci-Fi entertainment :-)
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad its good
santos-9166630 November 2020
It's based on a comic book so of course it's very over the top but for being a Predator vs Mortal Kombat rip off you will enjoy it if like me, that's your thing. Can't wait for Mystery Science Theater to do this movie.
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes, It's Nicolas Cage In A Martial Arts Action Film
Fredtimbo26 November 2020
Getting past the silly idea of an alien martial artist, Jiu Jitsu is a really good martial arts action movie I've seen in a long time, and having Nicolas Cage and Frank Grillo is icing on the cake. The film is essentially a knockoff of The Bourne Identity and Predator. The fight scenes are exceptionally well done, and even Cage gets in on some of the fight action. Jiu Jitsu is certainly worth checking out.
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soooo baaad
rustysouthwood-4881413 January 2021
From the opening scene i started laughing how bad i could tell this was going to be.....fast forwarded through the terrible acting to check if at least the martial arts choreography would be ok but nope on that as well...this movie should've been released on free non cable channel comet haha....but oh well thats just one persons opinion so watch it for yourself...
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a single film irritated me before, until this one.
pouka25115 January 2021
This is a movie that features martial arts and Nicolas Cage. The main selling point of the film delivers but the poor direction, flat story, bad acting and shaky cam makes it very challenging to sit through. The first act can immediately put off viewers with motion sickness. It improves by the second act in which Nicolas Cage really presents a well acted character. He is too good for this film, good enough to be recommended? No. I do not recommend this film.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Must See!
anastasiamikhaylova25 November 2020
I loved the movie! The cast is great! Nicholas Cage brings his sardonic humor and impressive acting to the film. The stunts are massive and all the action sequences are so well choreographed. Jiu Jitsu is insanely entertaining! Absolute Must See!
11 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think the idea is fantastic! Just needs a little some some...
juanmuscle23 November 2020
Firstly I want to say that the antagonist Alien Warrior thing is bad-ass , yes it is like Predator but one thing that has always left me with a bad taste in my mouth with the Predator story-line is how the Predator kills his best adversaries while they have their backs turned, I mean come on look at Predator 1987 and see how Jessie "The Body" Ventura got it, yeah it looked cool, but for the sake of honor and dignity there was none, he shot him with his back turned from above Jessie never had a chance, pe-lease!

Here this thing at least let gave the other fighters a chance by challenging them face to face which I thought gave this whole premise a cut way above the original Predator and I'm a huge of anything Predator that is why I loved this thing, yes I thought it was magnificent - IT JUST NEEDED a lil' tweaking...

Like a mechanic goes in to get a tune up the script , (Because its all about the writing) not to mention the effects here were cool and everyone did a fantastic job with their lines and at the end if I may add was a fantastic line , very funny about Mamma Aliens and baby aliens!)

But in the end, if the script would have gone through another set of eyes and gotten it all sealed up with a lil' bit of proper explanations around the timeline of the thing then IMO, I think this could of been as good if not better than Alien and Predator! I truly believe that from the heart and I'm not a shill trust me on this!

That being said this , although a lil' off, and not much, it is way fun to watch, the beginning is cool, has a cool video -game feel to it that explains a lot of the fighting with guns being blasted at the protagonist from every angle and yet coming out of it unscathed! Very imo very very cool directing as well! Cause the fight sequences were spread out enough in specific takes to make you see just how cool all the punches and kicking and stabbing unfolded before your eyes! I loved it!

Like I said , perhaps if they could of explained a lil' bit of how the first team with Jake and Nick Cage were going to take on Brax without any hint of understanding how to destroy an immortal alien would of been pretty nice because they seemed to know a lot about the infernal space monster so , that being said once Jake (the Protagonist) procured the information on how to eliminate Brax on the Quest, he never really passed down this very crucial sensitive intelligence to any of his team-mates, and watching his not yet non-descript father Nick Cage die a miserable death while Jake and his pretty Asian cutie watch cruelly and weirdly off to the side, that was strange! lol.

But that being said, I absolutely loved it, it was a marvel to watch and I highly recommend it for someone who is looking for something fun to watch, I would of saved the pretty white girl from departing before her character could redeem herself but those are just lil' subjective particulars, anyway, trust me, put it on and enjoy it, it is very cool, everyone involved in the thing should be very very proud of themselves, fine fine job! cool! imo!
10 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
blackdogtucker201114 December 2020
This movie was good Nicolas cage and the rest of the cast did awesome, nothing but a good martial arts flick
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
nice movie
ajpn-511006 December 2020
Nice movie good movie please support movie maker in times of pandemic
8 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Super fun
jijikoley27 December 2020
Jiu Jitsu is a really good martial arts action movie I've seen in a long time, and having Nicolas Cage and Frank Grillo is icing on the cake. The film is essentially a knockoff of The Bourne Identity and Predator. The fight scenes are exceptionally well done, and even Cage gets in on some of the fight action. Jiu Jitsu is certainly worth checking out. Entertaining movie with great action sequences that martial arts movie fans will definitely love. Put on some popcorn and enjoy.
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Super fun
mileykraus31 December 2020
Fun to watch, amazing fight scenes. Nicolas Cage had some cool action scene. Alain Moussi keeps on getting better, this was truly his best all around movie up to day!
6 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A solid 8
elenaphysics26 November 2020
The movie is about martial arts And there is an abundance of fighting scenes in it. It is not for people who do not like martial art movies. I loved watching all the fight scenes. They were intense. Now the plot is a bit absurd and not realistic BUT it compensates you with great martial art scenes and that is what I wanted to watch.
6 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You people are crazy, like him.
ariabdulla20 November 2020
First of all, this movie is a 5.0 for me, but i gave 10 stars to help justify the ratings.

This is one of those low budget B grade movies with some talent that you won't enjoy with high expectations. there's some good moments and stupid moments in it as well, but overall, it's kinda fun and entertaining. The non-stop action and fighting from the martial artists is the best part of the movie, and I appreciat that.

As for nic cage, he is not that superstar that he used to be, so what else do you expect from a broken actor? Your complains about him are timeworn. So, move on, people, move on.
18 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cult classic & Ambitious
hello-171432 January 2021
Look, it's not a perfect movie exploring the depths of human emotion. What it is a good no-brainer action movie that can be enjoyed for its filmography, special effects, ambitious action scenes and small details.

The plot is an enjoyable mix of other cult classics with some added twists and turns.

Cage actually really suits the role, and some some of the tongue in cheek dialogue and easter eggs will sadly be lost on most viewers.

I'm glad i rented this movie and appreciate it for it's details. I will be buying this movie at a later date to support the cast and crew.

Appreciate it for what it is, 8/10
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funniest Film of the Year (so far)
Skippy48920 November 2020
Calling this film the funniest film of the year is not a positive review. Do not be fooled by the 7/10 star rating above, this a 6.5/10 at best. Why the high rating you ask? Because its an artful film that isn't too original but its got Nicolas Cage and Eddie Steeples (My Name is Earl, "Hey Crabman").

The film, at first, is hard to follow and the camera shooting is terrible. At times it is shot in first person (for no apparent reason) and other times it is third person. It is like watching someone play a first person version of Street Fighter, which changes to a samurai based graphic novel with little or no warning at all. What makes the film good is its ability to tell a story without much dialogue, it is like watching a graphic novel come to life. Most importantly, Nicolas Cage has a fair amount of screen time for being a supporting actor. But it is well worth the wait to see him his whole ten minute part is the best part of the film.

This is very much a film that would be on Mystery Science Theater 3000, but hey its got Nicolas Cage! The riffing would enhance the movie a lot. The writing of the film most likely started out as a synopsis like: "Nicolas Cage fights an Alien Invasion using Martial Arts" -sounds like a good pitch, right?
7 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually so bad it isn't good
nick-3629913 January 2021
Really guys? It isn't even fun. Really pissed me off that it is so obvious that it is shot somewhere like Cyprus that everything looks wrong. Nothing makes sense. Dreadful acting. My god. Please.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fair i would say
muliikapaul20 November 2020
This is actually an 8/10 movie, but you know, want to increase the rating.

It's not quite good as i expected it would be, i watched the trailer and i was like "this is great" mayb i hoped to much.

But its great though to action lovers, and the cameo of Nicholas Cage and Tony Jaa makes it great. Hope you like it.
10 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A series of awesome action sequences worth watching!
subxerogravity25 December 2020
It was one thing to find out that Nicolas Cage was in a movie called Jiu Jitsu, that was enough for me to buy the movie on Amazon Prime. It sounds just bonkers enough to be up my alley. Then I discover that Tony Jaa's also in this movie. I could not wait!!

Unfortunately Cage and Jaa are supporting actors in a movie designed to show what a guy named Alain Moussi can do. I don't know if he's doing Jiujitsu on camera but he does have a pretty awesome flip kick. He's no Scott Adkins but we possibly caught this guy at he beginning of his b-marshal arts action movie career, but what what a way to start.

Ii is kind of string (and a little racist) that Jaa is not just staring in the movie. They asked Jaa to toned down his cinematic greatest to a 10 rather than the usual 11 so that they could add a bunch of cool camera angles, special effects and slow-motion to Americanize it. Yet still watching Tony Jaa fight is amazing.

Not much of a story but more like a series of really great action sequences that feel greatly influenced by video games more than marshal arts movies of the past (the filmmaker also seems to enjoy comics as I gathered from the all the comic book art being used to transition form scene to scene). The story has something to do with a group of warriors who must defend the planet from alien invaders but one of the warriors (played by Moussi) forgets who he is endangering the mission. The fact that this invasion happens every six years kind of reminds me of Mortal Kombat, but the game these filmmakers are trying to make seems to be a 1st person open world thing.

There are other cool people in the cast. Frank Grillo who played Crossbones in Captain America the winter soldier. I just binged watched his show Kingdom which is good. Rick Yune, who is yet another victim of Hollywood's tendency to favor White Boys with marshal arts skills. Check out his film the 5h Commandment for proof of that. The film also stars Marrese Crump, a more handsome version of Billy Banks (the Tae Bo guy) who has faced Tony Jaa in a film with Jaa at 11 (The Protector 2). Watch that movie and tell me Hollywood has not slept on this dude's skills.

Despite its lame story the movie is perfect. it just keeps going with so much kinetic energy that it does not stop long enough for you to complain about how weak the plot is. Worth checking out.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haters gonna hate...
mozzamorris20 December 2020
I for one enjoyed this film. I don't know why people have to moan and rant about it, if you don't like the film after the first half hour or so, watch something else you get me!? I love martial arts films!!! Cannot wait for the next Kickboxing and a possible Jiu Jitsu sequel.
7 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
karthickraj-9024320 November 2020
Nota a simp but I gave 10 for this flim just because of Marie Avgeropoulos
12 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
YOU ARE ALL WRONG!
lokilfa27 November 2020
Bad movies are not all the same, shame on you cinephiles, voting down a near masterpiece. You do not get it? Let me badxplain it to you... easy with a comparison: take "A wrinkle in time", an Oprah vanity project infused with mountains of Disney cash, horrible acting paired with pretentious nonsense script and a "woke" director that is in way over her head. Journalists and sites artificially maintaining the vote high because of spineless conformism. THAT is a 3 or 4 out of 10, only because the technical departments did their job. The viewers pay full price and believe the hype and ultimately are the victim.

Now, only now, let's have a look at JIU JITSU, the cash is bare minimum, camera is terrible, sound is barely decent, the acting is either desperate attempt to save face or straight horrible: the production is cutting so many corners that they end up with a sphere, the perfect solid. It's sooooo bad that it goes straight to the other side. This film is a monster, in the latin original sense: monstrum, itself derived from the verb moneo ("to remind, warn, instruct, or foretell"), and denotes anything "strange or singular, contrary to the usual course of nature". A marvel of nature, you cannot plan for this stuff: is the collective result of C-List actors desperate for cash and an improvised crew, improbable production standards and a weird 3rd rewrite of the script for a grand total of 7 (!) bucks ticket. That would be enough for a 6,5/7 but... it's got (Oscar winner) Nicolas Cage, the myth. It's a straight 8!!! (and if you stiff upper lips fake connoisseurs don't get it, rewatch some of your beloved pretentious crap and stick to that).

PS It's not perfect because nobody died during production as far as we know.
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
apocalypse martial arts
voigaswolpertinger19 January 2021
Hell I had a lot to laugh during this movie. yeah sure its like a cheap B-Movie with martial arts, but those are well choreographed and executed. Tony Jaa guarantees top Muay Thai and Muay Boran skills on display and the role of Nick Cage was, contrary to what shiny-whiny-Oscar-fans say, mint. I mean, I hope i am not the only one who definitley saw a Dennis Hopper spoof from Apocalypse Now. Splendid way to spend a lil time.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasn't sure what movie I was watching
staunton-gary16 January 2021
Thought this was going to be really good for 2020 movie, but it's only just above average. It was said that Nicolas Cage always wanted to make a martial arts movie, maybe if he'd put some work into learning some of the moves that he wouldn't have had the double to step in and do the moves. Granted, he did do a couple of moves himself, but a fail on effort. Alain Moussi (Jake) and his stupid looking "blank expression" when trying to remember stuff degrades his cred further, each time he does it. Marie Avgeropoulos (Myra) wasn't convincing as an intelligence officer and I thought that she would have been more involved. Thankfully, there were no romantic scenes involving Cage, that would have lost another 2 stars. Eddie Steeples (Tex) was obviously cast as comic relief, but wasn't given the air time to do so. Rick Yune (Captain Sand) wasn't used enough either, even Frank Grillo (Harrigan) felt underused. The cast was there, the story felt unfinished, although complete, and there's some cringe too. I would recommend with a couple of warnings.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, silly, and full of action
CrazieJa22 November 2020
As an martial art film fan, I love this movie. Jiu Jitsu definitely is a mindless, fun, silly, crazy film with great action scenes. My favorites are JuJu Chan and Tony Jaa's fights. Honestly, it's time for a female lead action film with JuJu. Only complaint, I wanted more of her and Tony in the film...
5 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.