Love, Death & Robots (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

Just wow.
sarah_cze15 March 2019
What a unique production! Netflix definitely got something (very) right here. In fact, I wish there would be more quality content like this.

Every single episode is intriguing and spectacular; it can be very violent at times, funny and sad. The art is just breathtaking. Writing is on point.

So far I liked "Sonnie's Edge", "The Witness" and "Beyond the Aquila Rift, "Good Hunting" and "Zima Blue" the best. More, please, Netflix!
504 out of 569 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netflix just changed the game... again.
grantit415 March 2019
Sublimely animated (NSFW) shorts... each with it's own unique and beautiful (& mature) story. Think game cinematic-Animatrix saga with hyper-realistic futurism/multi-dimensional concepts. Absolutely GORGEOUS. I enjoyed each immensely, and cannot wait to see more, hopefully becoming a mainstream format.
354 out of 416 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a minute feels wasted watching this amazing anthology series
javierrickard15 March 2019
Honestly it just appeared on Netflix so I thought why not give it a try? and I am so happy I did. Every episode is so beautifully animated and the stories keep you interested from beginning to end! The most impressive and immersive thing Netflix has done in a little while, you aren't wasting you're time. believe me.
265 out of 323 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible
DennisTarr16 March 2019
I seriously hope Netflix produces more shows of this quality. Great animation quality together with themes and stories for adults are pretty much non existent. Until now. This is really worth getting a subscription for. At lest for me it was.
188 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gorgeous film making
DarrenSCook15 March 2019
Watched the complete series in one go!!! Could not stop watching!
239 out of 301 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A true classic!
BlockLike15 March 2019
I am in awe of how truly great this is.

On every level it impresses...

Visuals, audio, script, acting, dialogue, atmosphere... It's got them all in spades!

Just sit back and let the episodes draw you into their worlds.

It is a work of art and should be celebrated.
171 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a masterpiece
hirazvan15 March 2019
Once you start watching, you can't stop until it's over
194 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpectedly good!
ankitb-civilengg15 March 2019
Never saw the trailer. Just saw it while browsing netflix, didn't knew what to expect. But the first episode just blew my mind. So awesome. It was like watching watching a video game. The episodes are small but so good. No nonsense. Superb !!!
148 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The animation is pure orgasm.
kwstaras15 March 2019
Spectacular audio and animation violent,sad,funny good stories.Netflix did a good job,did something that most people do not expept to see.I want more content like that please Netflix.
129 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wish there were more shows like this
Love, Death and Robots isn't for everyone. It's gratuitously violent, salacious to a fault, and not politically correct. And that's exactly what Hollywood needs to do more of. No, it doesn't need to make films that are violent, over-sexed or obscene (it's already doing that). It needs to stop making things 'for everybody.' LD&R is obviously going to offend or turn off some, but that's because it's not made for them. But for those who have been waiting for a true animated version of Heavy Metal Magazine, then this is for you. It's got cyberpunk, odd fiction, silly stories and all the sci-fi you could possibly want. What's more, each story is really well made (unlike some attempts to bring Heavy Metal to film). If you like short films, CG, sci-fi or Adult Swim, you're not going to want to miss Love, Death & Robots.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is a work of art!
nguyenbakhanhbicondova16 March 2019
Bless you, Netflix, for giving us this.

Bless you.
122 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spiritual Successor to Heavy Metal
vasiln16 March 2019
Love, Death & Robots is an anthology of animated science-fiction shorts. A few stories use live actors but heavy use of animation in the whole. Most of the animation is CG-- some might be hand-drawn or might be really well stylized CG, I'm not sure.

The animation itself is stunning. This is next-gen. There are a wide variety of styles on display, but it's all great, as good as anything I've ever seen, and that's including the old masters. I mess about with 3D modelling, and the CG stuff is really breathtaking in the detail and in the bridge between style and realism. These are people who know their art.

The stories themselves are very, very similar to those that you'd find in the old days in Heavy Metal-- the movie or the magazine. That means gratuitous sex, gratuitous violence; it means a certain aesthetic, focused on science-fiction-cool; it means cleverness, occasional humor, and plenty of weirdness. I wouldn't have expected good stories from a movie like this, yet LDR mostly delivers on that front: its narratives are well paced and enjoyable.

Maybe its main weakness-- assuming gratuitous sex and violence doesn't turn you off- is its character writing. The characters may be modelled and animated nearly perfectly, but as characters they're still pretty two-dimensional. But I'm not sure how much anyone could expect from an anthology series on this front, and poor characterization is pretty much the rule in this genre.

If you're a fan of science fiction or animation, and the sex and violence doesn't turn you off-- really, it's just there for its own sake, although some of us think that's fine-- then I think LDR will blow you away.
63 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MTV Liquid Television
brianschmidt-5059716 March 2019
Anyone who grew up in the 90's should remember liquid Television. It gave us the original Aeon Flux and the first real HD animation. This is very reminiscent. The animation is great and even when it is not, it still fits the style. It should also be said that MTV Liquid Television was rated TV-14, this is very much deserving of its TV-MA rating.
53 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wowwww
michaelhowell1215 March 2019
Just Watch It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
73 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anyone remember animatrix?
mittenz_loves_you19 March 2019
It is good for sure, a little strange but the concept and the changing of stories reminds me of the classic Animatrix which came out after the first Matrix. Something else that needs to go onto Netflix if this is popular
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but overrated
dpetutschnig6 April 2019
Definitely worth a watch. Allthough not every episode is really that "good". I would recommend to check the different episodes ranking on imbd. There arent many bad episodes but you could save some time skipping 2,3 pointless entries. My personal favs are helping hand and good hunting!
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece
marinabaluta15 March 2019
I was blown away by this series, having accidentally stumbled upon it. All I can remember is thinking every second that it's so good it can't be real, can it? Must watch.
50 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An interesting anthology experiment
harrylosborne16 March 2019
Credit must be given in all episodes to the animators - the levels of technical detail and stylised novelty is incredible in every instance, showing glimpses of future possibilities. The storylines themselves, as with anthologies, are hit and miss. Personal preference will play a large part (for instance, IMDB reviews of some episodes are far from what I think), but on the whole explore interesting concepts. Some are even genuinely forward thinking, emulating Black Mirror-esque storylines.

Being only 5-15 minutes long, they are all easy watches; thus, even the unenjoyable ones are only short interludes. I would give this a watch purely out of curiosity - at least one of these sci-fi stories is bound to entertain.
43 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVE LOVE LOVE
annajchr16 March 2019
I love all the Devilman Crybaby vibes I get from this show!!! It's disturbingly gruesome at times and laugh out loud funny at others. I haven't even watched the entire season but I'm already looking forward to season 2! If you loved Devilman Crybaby or Black Mirror, you'll love this show. If you aren't sure about it, just give it a try because it's honestly so good!!!
40 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Animation at its best.
craigdales15 March 2019
To make this clear I don't like watching animated films or shows I'm not a child anymore, I was flicking through netflix this morning and came across love death and robots I watched the trailer and thought this looks good but it's animated what shall I do ignore it or give it a go if I don't like it I can just stop watching it so I just give it a go so I started to watch it WOW this netflix series is brilliant I can't stop watching it I could watch this all day everyday and still not get bored of it. Because I'm not into animated films or shows I like the shortness of each episode plus it's not made for kids it's an 18 or should be with the swearing, nudity, blood and violence in each episode. It's well written and the animation in some episodes are so excellent they almost seem so real I know they are but from an animation perspective..... It's brilliant what else can I say just keep up the great work and please have many episodes to come thankyou for your great work it's been a great watch thankyou. Anybody who isn't into animation like me just give it a go it's a must watch.
66 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Style over substance with a nice, shallow script.
Breravin20 March 2019
As with most things in life, to each their own. Nonetheless I felt a bit compelled to provide a slightly different point of view from the stream of 10's I'm seeing on IMDb so far.

I see a lot of "now this is Art!" comments. To be clear, film (even when shown on television) has been recognized as Art for generations now. Granted, this particular series is generally well executed and presents visuals that are often stunning and unique - but let's not trip over ourselves trying to hold up Love, Death & Robots as some breakthrough for the medium. And as gorgeous as it is, it's not without some really obvious flaws. The uncanny valley is still very deep with this series.

In terms of substance, this was nothing short of painful to watch. Completely predictable plot, utterly shallow dialogue, heavy handed cliches and extremely clumsy in its execution. The "twists" could be seen a mile away, and then any subsequent counter-twist felt tacked on as "gotchas" even though they were often transparent themselves. And the jokes suffered the exact same fate. Everything about the script felt like a first draft attempt.

There was also a strangely tone-deaf nature to much of the subject matter as well. The series sets up strong themes of empowerment, diversity and responsibility, only to explore those themes through extremely childish, macho narrative devices and stereotypes. It's an adolescent boy's attempt at writing about deeper issues without any greater understanding of them. Highly (and needlessly) sexualized (women only), brutally violent (because violence = power of course), and unimaginatively crass and crude (because curse words are "brutal, and "real"). I've seen some reviews actually decrying the themes as "SJW" - but interestingly, I think if you look even a tiny bit below the surface, it's more likely the opposite.

Yes, I've never seen anything quite like Love, Death & Robots before, but I still find it empty all the same. Plenty to see, nothing to take away.
112 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful NSFW Carnival!
joanacatbagan16 March 2019
This show is absolutely bonkers with violence, explicit scenes, and episodes. From minds of Tim Miller and David Fincher made a show with great animation of a mix with Twilight Zone and Black Mirror story telling. Buckle up for a wild ride!
30 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Woah!
ioneebrijanareid15 March 2019
The first episode had me hooked! Was like watching an amazing story line in a game! I wish there was a movie done on it, that's how much I loved it! Animation is incredible, on episode two and I am laughing my head off. Hitting each genre perfectly. 100% recommend!
44 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some Good, Some Bad
danterenzulli19 March 2019
A variety of sci fi short cartoons, with an even mix of beautiful, interesting, well done, contrasted with way too silly, way too weirdo anime, and way too much graphic nudity/violence. Some episodes need to be skipped. Some episodes deserve a ten, but when I see tons of ten reviews on the whole series, which is pretty average overall, I immediately think paid promotion.
59 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You have to encourage art like this!!
mark-fenwick2918 March 2019
Not every episode is a masterpiece but they are all beautiful. It's like SciFi heaven. I want to shake Netflix's hand for putting this together. I haven't enjoyed this type of thing since the Animatrix. It's just wonderful. I can't tell you my favs. I'd have to rewatch them all a few time to separate the good from the brilliant. Please encourage more of this!
25 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.