Love, Death & Robots (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

Just wow.
sarah_cze15 March 2019
What a unique production! Netflix definitely got something (very) right here. In fact, I wish there would be more quality content like this.

Every single episode is intriguing and spectacular; it can be very violent at times, funny and sad. The art is just breathtaking. Writing is on point.

So far I liked "Sonnie's Edge", "The Witness" and "Beyond the Aquila Rift, "Good Hunting" and "Zima Blue" the best. More, please, Netflix!
526 out of 599 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netflix just changed the game... again.
grantit415 March 2019
Sublimely animated (NSFW) shorts... each with it's own unique and beautiful (& mature) story. Think game cinematic-Animatrix saga with hyper-realistic futurism/multi-dimensional concepts. Absolutely GORGEOUS. I enjoyed each immensely, and cannot wait to see more, hopefully becoming a mainstream format.
369 out of 439 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a minute feels wasted watching this amazing anthology series
javierrickard15 March 2019
Honestly it just appeared on Netflix so I thought why not give it a try? and I am so happy I did. Every episode is so beautifully animated and the stories keep you interested from beginning to end! The most impressive and immersive thing Netflix has done in a little while, you aren't wasting you're time. believe me.
282 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible
DennisTarr16 March 2019
I seriously hope Netflix produces more shows of this quality. Great animation quality together with themes and stories for adults are pretty much non existent. Until now. This is really worth getting a subscription for. At lest for me it was.
204 out of 254 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gorgeous film making
DarrenSCook15 March 2019
Watched the complete series in one go!!! Could not stop watching!
246 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A true classic!
BlockLike15 March 2019
I am in awe of how truly great this is.

On every level it impresses...

Visuals, audio, script, acting, dialogue, atmosphere... It's got them all in spades!

Just sit back and let the episodes draw you into their worlds.

It is a work of art and should be celebrated.
181 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a masterpiece
hirazvan15 March 2019
Once you start watching, you can't stop until it's over
207 out of 284 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely overrated
themoishegancz9 April 2019
While definitely visually stunning, many if the stories were very lacking. Some had bad punch lines, some had no punch lines, although some were pretty good. I definitely feel like a lot of the high ratings are based off people rating before watching too many episodes. I definitely do think they're on to something over here. The animation is amazing, and I love the idea of the short episodes. The only thing that needs a major change is the writing.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpectedly good!
ankitb-civilengg15 March 2019
Never saw the trailer. Just saw it while browsing netflix, didn't knew what to expect. But the first episode just blew my mind. So awesome. It was like watching watching a video game. The episodes are small but so good. No nonsense. Superb !!!
154 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The animation is pure orgasm.
NoMercyBerserker15 March 2019
Spectacular audio and animation violent,sad,funny good stories.Netflix did a good job,did something that most people do not expept to see.I want more content like that please Netflix.
133 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is a work of art!
nguyenbakhanhbicondova16 March 2019
Bless you, Netflix, for giving us this.

Bless you.
130 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wish there were more shows like this
Love, Death and Robots isn't for everyone. It's gratuitously violent, salacious to a fault, and not politically correct. And that's exactly what Hollywood needs to do more of. No, it doesn't need to make films that are violent, over-sexed or obscene (it's already doing that). It needs to stop making things 'for everybody.' LD&R is obviously going to offend or turn off some, but that's because it's not made for them. But for those who have been waiting for a true animated version of Heavy Metal Magazine, then this is for you. It's got cyberpunk, odd fiction, silly stories and all the sci-fi you could possibly want. What's more, each story is really well made (unlike some attempts to bring Heavy Metal to film). If you like short films, CG, sci-fi or Adult Swim, you're not going to want to miss Love, Death & Robots.
36 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sex, Gore and Robots
Tastentier4 April 2019
Watching this anthology of shorts, some of which are very short indeed, feels a lot like reading an old Heavy Metal magazine. As a teenager, I used to devour these collections of science fiction, fantasy and horror stories that usually featured sex and nudity and frequently violence and gore, sometimes both on the same page.

Netflix essentially created an animated version of these pulpy, yet often beautifully illustrated comic books. L, D & R is just as hit-and-miss, just as violent and sexually titillating (for a straight male audience, that is), and, every once in a while, just as artistically beautiful. I just wish it had something to say, or at least a few compelling stories to tell. It all felt a bit shallow and very derivative underneath the flashy exterior. I'm afraid sci-fi fans looking for truly original ideas will be rather disappointed.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
meh
danikap-787-9056037 May 2019
Some of the episodes were alright, but most of them feel like they finish midway. The series is an interesting idea, but I believe the episodes should have been more than 10 minutes long on average, so you could have some sort of character development. The show tries to pull off a vibe like the prequel and sequel to the 10 minute story are left to be interpreted by the viewer, but only a few episodes successfully accomplish this task in a decent and open-minded way.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great animation, terrible scripts.
boussourir-878458 April 2019
Since it's an anthology some episodes are very good, some are very bad. Mixed bag overall.

Since it tries a lot to be original and it's not a rehash of stuff we already know it deserves more than just 5. There are truly original ideas in there even if story wise they are often very poorly executed and shallow.

Since technically the animations are very nice and well executed, again it deserves points for this.

But the stories, the scripts, the ideas, oh my god, that's where it falls flat. This stuff looks like it was written by angry virgin stoners. I have no problems with stories that are unrealistic or even stupid when they are self aware, here it tries to pass as something brilliant most of the time but it's either pretty dumb or predictable.

Some things are there just for shock value. For instance useless nudity and violence. Again I have no problem with that as long as it is justified or self aware.

Some stuff is just plain dumb... like an astronaut ripping her arm out to throw it away to get momentum to get back to a satellite that she was repairing. Didn't she have tools that she could use for that? Wouldn't removing her glove decompress her suit and send her further into space?

Another one is about chinese steam punk victims of racism. Evil colonial english men only want to treat badly a chinese woman and rape her for the whole animation segment... Yet the animation itself draws the girl and boy without any chinese traits as if they needed to look caucasian to be appealing and show the female character in full frontal nudity every occasion it gets. Hypocritical anyone?

Other segments are very simplistic and the story could be resumed as "people fight stuff in X context".

So should you watch it? Yes! It's very well done and original and tries stuff! But at the same time it is poorly written and stupid at times.

Does it deserves a 9? Noooooo hell.... No way Jose. If it does then transformers does too.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good animation, Poor stories
sidiras-8686816 April 2019
Some episodes are good, some are ok, and some are very bad. Don't understand the hype this show is getting. It's ok but definitely not a masterpiece as some reviews say. The animations are extremely good but the stories not so. But its watchable you can give it a try
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spiritual Successor to Heavy Metal
vasiln16 March 2019
Love, Death & Robots is an anthology of animated science-fiction shorts. A few stories use live actors but heavy use of animation in the whole. Most of the animation is CG-- some might be hand-drawn or might be really well stylized CG, I'm not sure.

The animation itself is stunning. This is next-gen. There are a wide variety of styles on display, but it's all great, as good as anything I've ever seen, and that's including the old masters. I mess about with 3D modelling, and the CG stuff is really breathtaking in the detail and in the bridge between style and realism. These are people who know their art.

The stories themselves are very, very similar to those that you'd find in the old days in Heavy Metal-- the movie or the magazine. That means gratuitous sex, gratuitous violence; it means a certain aesthetic, focused on science-fiction-cool; it means cleverness, occasional humor, and plenty of weirdness. I wouldn't have expected good stories from a movie like this, yet LDR mostly delivers on that front: its narratives are well paced and enjoyable.

Maybe its main weakness-- assuming gratuitous sex and violence doesn't turn you off- is its character writing. The characters may be modelled and animated nearly perfectly, but as characters they're still pretty two-dimensional. But I'm not sure how much anyone could expect from an anthology series on this front, and poor characterization is pretty much the rule in this genre.

If you're a fan of science fiction or animation, and the sex and violence doesn't turn you off-- really, it's just there for its own sake, although some of us think that's fine-- then I think LDR will blow you away.
68 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite uneven.
meeelting20 April 2019
The good: Beyond the Aquila Rift. An absolutely amazing short that could easily be turned into a movie.

The bad: First episode features cool fights and kind of edgy and stale story writing. Some episodes are so late teen to early 20 american youth culture that it comes off as cringe worthy at times. Did not spot any dabbing but was waiting for it.

Some episodes are fantastic, but the show is not worth watching in it's entirety, instead seek out information about each episode and watch them individually. Personal taste counts for a lot in this show.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MTV Liquid Television
brianschmidt-5059716 March 2019
Anyone who grew up in the 90's should remember liquid Television. It gave us the original Aeon Flux and the first real HD animation. This is very reminiscent. The animation is great and even when it is not, it still fits the style. It should also be said that MTV Liquid Television was rated TV-14, this is very much deserving of its TV-MA rating.
55 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but overrated
dpetutschnig6 April 2019
Definitely worth a watch. Allthough not every episode is really that "good". I would recommend to check the different episodes ranking on imbd. There arent many bad episodes but you could save some time skipping 2,3 pointless entries. My personal favs are helping hand and good hunting!
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An interesting anthology experiment
harrylosborne16 March 2019
Credit must be given in all episodes to the animators - the levels of technical detail and stylised novelty is incredible in every instance, showing glimpses of future possibilities. The storylines themselves, as with anthologies, are hit and miss. Personal preference will play a large part (for instance, IMDB reviews of some episodes are far from what I think), but on the whole explore interesting concepts. Some are even genuinely forward thinking, emulating Black Mirror-esque storylines.

Being only 5-15 minutes long, they are all easy watches; thus, even the unenjoyable ones are only short interludes. I would give this a watch purely out of curiosity - at least one of these sci-fi stories is bound to entertain.
46 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wowwww
michaelhowell1215 March 2019
Just Watch It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
74 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Style over substance with a nice, shallow script.
Breravin20 March 2019
As with most things in life, to each their own. Nonetheless I felt a bit compelled to provide a slightly different point of view from the stream of 10's I'm seeing on IMDb so far.

I see a lot of "now this is Art!" comments. To be clear, film (even when shown on television) has been recognized as Art for generations now. Granted, this particular series is generally well executed and presents visuals that are often stunning and unique - but let's not trip over ourselves trying to hold up Love, Death & Robots as some breakthrough for the medium. And as gorgeous as it is, it's not without some really obvious flaws. The uncanny valley is still very deep with this series.

In terms of substance, this was nothing short of painful to watch. Completely predictable plot, utterly shallow dialogue, heavy handed cliches and extremely clumsy in its execution. The "twists" could be seen a mile away, and then any subsequent counter-twist felt tacked on as "gotchas" even though they were often transparent themselves. And the jokes suffered the exact same fate. Everything about the script felt like a first draft attempt.

There was also a strangely tone-deaf nature to much of the subject matter as well. The series sets up strong themes of empowerment, diversity and responsibility, only to explore those themes through extremely childish, macho narrative devices and stereotypes. It's an adolescent boy's attempt at writing about deeper issues without any greater understanding of them. Highly (and needlessly) sexualized (women only), brutally violent (because violence = power of course), and unimaginatively crass and crude (because curse words are "brutal, and "real"). I've seen some reviews actually decrying the themes as "SJW" - but interestingly, I think if you look even a tiny bit below the surface, it's more likely the opposite.

Yes, I've never seen anything quite like Love, Death & Robots before, but I still find it empty all the same. Plenty to see, nothing to take away.
126 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anyone remember animatrix?
mittenz_loves_you19 March 2019
It is good for sure, a little strange but the concept and the changing of stories reminds me of the classic Animatrix which came out after the first Matrix. Something else that needs to go onto Netflix if this is popular
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Animation at its best.
craigdales15 March 2019
To make this clear I don't like watching animated films or shows I'm not a child anymore, I was flicking through netflix this morning and came across love death and robots I watched the trailer and thought this looks good but it's animated what shall I do ignore it or give it a go if I don't like it I can just stop watching it so I just give it a go so I started to watch it WOW this netflix series is brilliant I can't stop watching it I could watch this all day everyday and still not get bored of it. Because I'm not into animated films or shows I like the shortness of each episode plus it's not made for kids it's an 18 or should be with the swearing, nudity, blood and violence in each episode. It's well written and the animation in some episodes are so excellent they almost seem so real I know they are but from an animation perspective..... It's brilliant what else can I say just keep up the great work and please have many episodes to come thankyou for your great work it's been a great watch thankyou. Anybody who isn't into animation like me just give it a go it's a must watch.
67 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.