The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud (2020) Poster

A hard watch
Leofwine_draca24 June 2021
I heard this was a labour of love for star Scott Adkins and as a big fan of him I was eager to get to grips with it. What a shame that it turns out to be so poor, a silly little British science fiction B-movie with aspirations to be the next GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. It has a great visual look with lots of interesting colours throughout, bright and vivid, but everything else is terrible: the writing, the direction, the performances, even Adkins himself is off form. John Hannah's bad guy is a joke as is the cast of the cast, and the whole 'venturing into a video game' plot just feels borrowed from the recent JUMANJI movies. Even the fight scenes are bad, relying on digital manipulation and CGI trickery over showcasing Adkins' undeniable talents. A hard watch.
This isn't a game
nogodnomasters21 December 2020
In 1990 Sarah (Isabelle Allen) gets stuck inside the Max Cloud video game. She must help the egotistical Max Cloud (Scott Adkins) who speaks about himself in the third person, complete the game.

In the game they are marooned on a prison planet Heinous. They have to fight the bad guys and get off the planet before the surface melts. The characters were boring. The plot was simplistic. I didn't feel entertained.

Guide: No swearing, sex, or nudity.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Cloud(y) at all
kosmasp25 May 2021
This is way more fun than it has any right to be! I may have given it an extra point - but I have been generally been accused of being too nice when it comes to rating movies. That is most of the time - I had my fair share of low ratings too (some might even say way too low) - but that is the cool thing about discussing or writing about movies. We all have our own individual taste, no matter how "objective" we try to write - there is always some subjectivity in it.

I would argue that me having met Scott Adkins did not play a role on how watched or rated the film. What I will admit though, is that I think he is an underrated actor. As a human being I love his British humor and self deprecating style he shows off. But that is not all, he has screen charisma! And he can act - because it is not an easy thing to pull off this being in a video game and pretending to be cool, while also mocking oneself ... a very fine line and he walks it with such elegance as he also is showing off during the fight scenes he has. A really fun movie that was a bit more brutal than I expected, but not too violent of course.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well, it was something else alright...
paul_haakonsen25 February 2021
I sat down to watch the movie "The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud" primarily because it had Scott Adkins on the cast list. As a matter of fact, then I didn't know what I was in for here, as I sat down to watch the movie. So I would say that writers Sally Collett and Martin Owen had all the chances to impress me and win me over.

And while "The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud" most certainly was a watchable movie, it was just one that was a bit far too out there for my liking. I mean, the premise of someone being stuck in a game and having a real person in the real world control the person stuck in the game world was just a bit stretchy for me.

Visually then "The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud" was definitely a nice movie. It most certainly had that particular 1980s vibe going on, it terms of music, art style, colors and costumes. And that was something that suited the movie quite well.

The acting in the movie was good, but it was an odd movie choice to find Scott Adkins and Tommy Flanagan in, I suppose. But hey, to each their own, right? Nothing wrong with breaking the formula and branching out to try new things.

This 2020 movie was, for me, a movie that I watched once, and will never pick up to watch a second time. Why? Well, the storyline just didn't really capture my interest all that profoundly, and it was a fairly thin concept of building a movie upon.

My rating of "The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud" lands on a five out of ten stars. But hey, give the movie a chance, perhaps this particular kind of niche in the world of nerdery might catch your fancy.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A stuck in the video game movie, with 8 bit vibes
siderite17 July 2021
This is not a good movie by any standard, but it's fun. You can see that the actors had fun, the team had fun, the writers had fun, the video effects people and so on. There is zero "oh, look at me, I am such a cool actor and I am stuck doing this". Which means that if you ignore the ridiculous premise and the bad acting, you can have fun watching it, too. I did.

The only qualm I have is with the title. Max Cloud is a loud mouth hiding his inadequacy behind a galactic hero facade and almost every other character is more important to the story than him. And surely if they ever get high again and decide to make a sequel, they can't really use Max Cloud, can they?

Bottom line: it's a silly fun comedy that never takes itself seriously. If you give it that, it will treat you good.
Still Another ...
westsideschl23 August 2021
Still another human gets sucked (or however it happens) into a game to become one of its characters. Decades old game thus pixelated graphics (if you're old enough to remember) as we switch back 'n' forth between current reality (well a bedroom w/gaming controller) & the game's reality. Very dumb; poor acting; juvenile dialogue (well, maybe appropriate to that audience). Really cheap sets, props, and CGI.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Max Cloud Meets Red Dwarf??
damianphelps6 March 2021
It took me a little while to wrap my head around what was going on here. Not story wise, more about who this was pitched at. At the end I concluded this is a tweeners movie.

It does have a few laugh out moments and I do applaud both Scott Adkins and Tommy Flanagan for dropping their egos and committing 100% to these silly spoof characters.

I don't know if I can recommend this but I have to congratulate all involved for doing something different :)
Wish this was a game on the Sega Genesis
subxerogravity30 June 2021
Really loved this movie. Nostalgic as hell. Max Cloud is about a kid from Brooklyn in 1990 who gets sucked into her favorite 16 Bit game Max Cloud as his sidekick Jacke. Max Cloud himself is played by marshal arts action star, and most recently YouTuber with his show the Art of Action, Scott Adkins.

Max Cloud pokes fun at the style of games the fourth generation console was capable of which is were all the fun and laughs come from. It was crazy to see Adkins fight as if he was an Avatar in a beat em up. You would now have expected that the fight scenes would have been any good doing this angle but they were absolutely great. All the action sequences are kinds tongue and cheek as they compare the real violince with the animated violence. Pointing the out the sharp difference made me laugh

The design of the movie was great too. Purposely funny, Max Cloud looks and feels like this game was actually a hit in the 1990s and someone decided to make a movie instantly of it. A bit ironic cause if this was a 90s game and they made this movie in the 90s it would have bombed like Super Mario Bros or Double Dragon.

However, Max Cloud was made in the present and as such homage to my childhood makes it fantastic.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another worst action film from Scott Adkins! Full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! The action scene also far worse than Star Wars! Not recommended!
kwenchow28 December 2020
This film start with a spaceship calling for Mayday, and the introduction of Jake, and Max scene! As turnout, this film is about Cowboy, and Sarah's father need to save Sarah from the video game she been transported into, by winning the video game! Entire film full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Such as, overuse of the playing dumb scene, overuse of the switch from left to right angle scene, overuse of the calling names scene, overuse of the act like gay scene, and overuse of the video game POV scene! Make the film unwatchable! All the killing scene have blood at certain point, but overall portray by sideways, messy, have slow-motion, just saw the lightning, and smoke! Make the film quite frustrated to watch! Barely laughable scene is, Max kicking a decapitated head at his opponents! At the end, Sarah been transported back to her room! Sarah's avatar "Jake" back with his teammate in the video game at the very end! That's it! Wasting time to watch!
7 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
80S GAMERS
kirbylee70-599-52617919 April 2021
Kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s when video games were just taking off have a lot of fond memories of those games. The graphics weren't as realistic, the kills even less so and the adventures not near as complicated. And yet those kids had a blast. So much so that movies came out about gamers like THE WIZARD and TRON. But those days are gone. Unless you take a look at the new release MAX CLOUD.

Sarah (Isabelle Allen) is a huge game lover, so much so that her father Tony (Sam Hazeldine) eventually bans her from her game and takes away her controller. This is especially disconcerting to her since she just found an Easter egg in the game, a hidden extra item for players where she finds Space Witch (Jason Maza). As her dad leaves the house Sarah wishes that she could play games all the time. No sooner does she make the wish than the witch in the Easter egg grants it and she's transported to the world of Max Cloud.

The big difference is that here she is ship's cook Jake (Elliot James Langridge) and their spaceship has crash landed. Now she must adapt to this world as well as the hero of the game. Max Cloud (Scott Adkins) is an egotistical hero with an unmatched fighting ability always spouting heroic yet useless items while facing off against various adversaries. Things like "Kick *** first, ask questions if there are survivors" pop out frequently as he literally does so. While the game images on the outside world are 2 dimensional scrolling games in here the blood flows more freely.

As Sarah tries to figure out what to do her friend Cowboy (Franz Drameh) shows up. She talks to him from the screen telling him not to turn off the game or reboot it but to start playing and help her out. He does so still not quite believing what is happening. As he leads her through the game they come across another crew member, Rexy (Sally Collett) the games British heroine. Later they team up with famed game bounty hunter Brock Donnelly (Tommy Flanagan) who may or may not be trustworthy.

Of course we have to have a bad guy who's behind everything, an end boss that you'd find in any game. Here that boss is Revengor (John Hannah) who along with his number two, Shee (Lashana Lynch), wants nothing more than to defeat Max and his crew and return to Earth. Does this mean the game Earth of the real Earth? Who knows until the end of the game should he win?

All Sarah/Jake wants is to get out of the game. But with Revengor trying to finish the game and take over everything that's not going to be easy. With the help of Cowboy, Rexy, Brock Donnelly and yes even the misogynistic hyper violent Max Cloud the odds are against them. It's time to put her gaming skills to work.

I'm surprised at the number of people who have chosen to slam this film online. It was actually a lot of fun and a great throwback to those classic movies made at the time. The low budget doesn't hurt here since the sets are supposed to be interpretations of the game itself. In fact I thought they helped. The acting isn't Oscar worthy but why would you expect it to be? It fits in nicely with the films it is paying homage to.

Adkins has been making a name for himself in smaller roles in major productions like THE EXPENDABLES and done a number of movies in the direct to disc market. He's actually a better actor than many give him credit for. And his skills as a martial artist are some of the best you will find these days. Here he gets to display both as his character is hysterically funny at times and he plays it with a seriousness that makes it so. And his fight sequences match any he's done before.

The movie is a lot of fun that the whole family can enjoy. The only thing that might be a problem is the use of a few minor swear words and the fake blood that's on screen but it matches the setting of a game and doesn't come off as real. THE WALKING DEAD is far worse when it comes to bloodletting and kids are watching that all over the country. This film is a good starting point to talk to your kids about both gaming, gaming too much and those movies you grew up with. For me it's one I'll hold onto and check again from time to time. Just to see how Max Cloud is doing.
Ready Player One meet Jumanji (The Rock Version) but as Low Budget
destroyerwod9 May 2021
Directly when i saw the trailer i knew this was gonna be a low budget corny flick, i think its made to be this way. I am a fan of Scott Adkins and i enjoy video games so i had to watch it. Ultimately it was fun, but as long as you take it for what it is.

It mix up a bit the concept of Jumanji, The Rock's version, as the character is sucked into a video game, with some elements of Ready Player One, but obviously with a very low direct to video budget. Sets are purposely made to look cheap but its not a bad thing. There is a show here in Quebec call "Dans une Galaxy pres de chez vous" wich tranlate to "In a Galaxy close to home" wich was all based on humor and characters and despite being set in space, everything looked like sets and special effects made by students at film school on a regular software. Yet it was still a lot of fun.

Somehow Max Cloud kinda work that way, you have to not take it seriously and you should enjoy it with a few beers. There is even some Scott Adkins martial arts thrown in the mix, wich i was not expecting considering the nature of the flick. There is even a few recognizable faces beside Scott wich add some personality to the film.

I would give it a 6.7/10 so it bump to 7 by IMDB. Not a "great flick" by any mean, but a fun disposable movie for a saturday night.
Idiotic, unoriginal and boring
carlos-pires17 February 2021
Production design: 8/10 stars Acting: 5/10 stars Everything else: 0/10

I tried to watch this 3 times. Couldn't do it to the end, mostly due to the fact that this is an extremely boring movie. Quick tip for directors: if you can't do your job properly, at least get a great editor.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
makes the Grillo team look even better
steveo12211 January 2021
Movies cost so much to make that even if everybody in the room knows it's crap it still has to be sent out to make as much money as possible. It takes only a few minutes to see Adkins cannot pull off acting part.

Grillo/Gibson/Carnahan/"Boss Level"...is how to do it right.
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Woosh", 80's-90's gaming and culture spoof.
shide_8518 January 2021
Smaller spoilers lie ahead, nothing that really exposes the movie.

This is a spoof movie of the 80's and 90's, how do i know? Well even though alot of the references has aluded me since it was some time ago there are plenty that hasn't, those include the dad/mom which always comes in at badly timed moments, actually making parody of Arnold's line "stick around" (Predator 1987) and some other ones. I'm not saying this is done greatly, but having the actors semi invested in it helps it out alot. I couldn't peg which games it was referencing but the layout was one that existed in many games, from Sega and Jurassic Park to NES 8bit TMNT way back (yes, it does look like Sega; controller and gfx).

Pro's Actors were semi invested and caught on to the style above anticipated The continous gaming spoofs were a nice touch, but it could have used a little more comedic relief as with the huge enemey midway or so. bang for buck, this looks like they got good value for money

Con's Editing (well managed editing and camera angles makes alot of difference, it didnt work all the way here with to standard shots - not many suprises to be had) Lighting (the overall theme works allright and some special effects are above anticipated but some larger darkness in some scenes would have helped out the visuals (atleast towards the end). Follow through - there was several possibilities to draw the spoof further that were missed (the shaking of the screen that usually happened before end bosses could have loosened a rock and killed the end boss to mention one example that afaik hasn't been done)

End notes: The concept isn't new, but its refreshing to see it used elsewhere even if larger productions have the ability to make a movies of the same sort (aka not another washed out Jumanji, lacking originality and fresh ground).
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
80's Throwback ridiculously funny
Ckn4824 January 2021
If you've ever played an 80's computer game, this movie will make sense to you. Having said that, even our 8yr old was in stitches over this movie. The real life characters are doing what their computer versions do and its real funny watching them all sped up performing impossible moves for an actual human.

There's one scene where the character ducks down behind a console and its obvious hes there but true to 80's games the foe keeps loosing him even though they are no more than meters apart. ridiculous.

Multiple kills, impossible. A character being able to stop a spacecraft from taking off, oh the hilarity.

I would recommend this
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed this film and laughed out loud multiple times
DeadMansTrousers28 December 2020
The plot might not be the most original but the over the top campiness captures the essence of the 80s-90s perfectly. As someone who grew up in the 90s many of the references in this made me laugh out loud and the use of the Stan Bush music was perfect for this film. This is the type of light hearted film that I needed to watch right now and I had lots of fun with it.
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Video game heads rejoice
shawnmikedryer3 February 2021
In this 80's/90's style epic we meet Sarah an extreme video game enthusiast and her game of choice, The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud. Sarah however plays way too much for her dad Tony's liking which leads him to grounding her from the game right when she stumbles on an in game easter egg. When she goes to sleep the game appears to take a life of it's own and transports Sarah into the game. When she awakes she learns she is in the body of a playable character in the game, now is tasked with teaming up with Max Cloud and friends to fight their way through the intergalactic prison they've crashed on to complete the game and presumably escape game to return home. While intrenched in this battle Sarah's character is controlled by her partner in crime, Cowboy, who discovers the truth of Sarah while playing the game in her room back in Brooklyn.

Everything this film set out to do was accomplished to a tee. This film never once tries to take itself seriously which to me is a pro in this movie. Everything here was made by it's design, from the cheesy dialog to the over the top stereotypes and action sequences. The sets were perfect really putting you in the game. The fight sequences looked the part of The Power Rangers and you guessed it, it was the intent and aim of the filmmaker. This is an amazing turn your brain off feature where nostalgia is king bringing you back to more simpler times. Quite honestly the fun filled ride that did my soul good given the current atmosphere in the world.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes, it's not a good movie. It's written that way.
mancinibrown6 April 2021
Let's get this out of the way first. By any traditional definition of a good movie, it isn't that. The story is ridiculous, the acting is weak and wooden. The production values are clearly low budget and not great.

That said, it's all by design. When you write a movie about a girl sucked into an SNES (90s) video game you can give the story some leeway as it's supposed to be ridiculous. Is Scott Adkins acting more one dimensional than usual? Yes, yes it is. By design. He's supposed to be a one dimensional video game lead of the 90s. Is John Hannah's bad guy ridiculous? Yes, and that perfectly fits the role.

The movie had me laughing out loud in a way I haven't in a while. Some of the references hit home perfectly. However, not everything is perfect. When you write camp sometimes it doesn't hit and this movie suffers from that. But if you think that you might enjoy the movie, give it a shot and you may be pleasantly surprised.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not too bad came in with low expectations
edgarkaz20 December 2020
But the acting and cast is pretty damn epic. Some stuff looks cheap but it still looks pretty good. It has some dark humor in it which I love actually. It gets bloody as hell which is always fun as well
16 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Bit Of An Enjoyable Mess
lucas73928 May 2021
I began watching this and found myself viewing it through my fingers. But once adjusted to the overt camp, vaudeville, Flash on a tight budget vibe, it became watchable and eventually quite enjoyable. I think Adkins hits the spot as a Buzz Lightyear type. This is a low budget spoof with its tongue firmly in cheek, a send up of several sci fi films of the time.

Go on, give it a go.
Cheesy family movie
carlwilkessob20 January 2021
Change in direction for Scott Adkins but he pulls it off brilliantly

Cheesy funny retro with great fight sequences

Class soundtrack with Stan bush dare

It's a retro take on Jumanji with players being drawn into a video game

John Hannah seems miscast but other wise a good family film