O sabor das margaridas (TV Mini-Series 2018) Poster

Top Notch Murder Mystery
paul-21486 April 2019
This is a very compelling murder mystery with a strong female lead. Keeps you guessing until the very end just who are the good guys and who are the bad. Plenty of twists and surprises along the way. Surprisingly, it's an emotional journey as well, with terrific acting.
34 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Above average European crime mini series
fiona_r_lamb31 March 2019
Just binge-watched this mini-series. I quite enjoyed it. Strange how the cast list on IMDB is not filled out properly, nor is there a plot summary. However, all in all this was pretty decent - lots of red herrings and plot AND character twists. Acting also not bad esp. the police officers.

I will say that I'm getting tired of seeing all these crime series feature female exploitation of all ages but mainly underage. And then MOST of the men are all evil and/or sexual perverts. The lead character/hero/detective is also inevitably female, young, beautiful but with dowdy unkempt hair and boring unsexy clothes. Same as The Bridge and The Killing. Not that I'm complaining as I'm sick of seeing American-type impossibly glam leads who go around with 4-inch heels, but I think the Europeans are taking it a wee bit too far in the other direction.

But overall this was solid and held my interest throughout, altho' it was also the first Spanish tv series I've seen and I had to focus VERY intensely on the subtitles because the Spanish actors spoke sooooo fast.
50 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining Binge Watch
bshaef6 April 2019
I'm getting hooked on Spanish and Mexican (remember the guy who was into S&M from that comedy) series? Takes my eyes about 2 minutes to adapt to the CC's but after that its a breeze and if I miss anything I replay it. What's not to like about Netflix? Good content, easy to watch and lifetime of shows at the touch of my remote control. Thank you Netflix. You are easily worth every cent I pay for my subscription.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Real Page Turner
rw9300326 April 2019
Great little mystery with interesting sub plots, believable characters, and some surprises - If this were a book you'd call it "a real page turner.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weird, but entertaining
pietrosalazar20 April 2019
This is definitely the opposite of slick. The directing and acting have a somewhat home-baked feel, and conversations often show the stilted character of afternoon soaps. It's not fast-moving, and when they try some action toward the end, the staging gets downright silly, like they should have practiced a few more times.

But the story is strangely compelling, with a nice onion of a mystery that gets unpeeled until everybody is a suspect. The whole thing at times reminds you a bit of a Spanish "Twin Peaks", with about the same level of realism, although no owls. And you really don't know what exactly is going on until the last episode.

It's compact at six episodes of a little over an hour, and the storyline does not invite a second season. Worthwhile checking out.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good show
sunildaswaney-6364221 May 2019
"Bitter Daisies"is a very good show with excellent acting by everyone.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More than meets the eye
manugw6 May 2019
The first part looks like the ordinary crime whodunit scheme you have watched countless times and read other many times in books, but as the plot progresses toward the ending, all surprises that were hold under the sleeve, spring out increasing the level of tension, jaw-hanging and entertainment. Although a little bit far fetched, this sly multilayered tale achieves its purpose, to satisfy a demanding viewer who loves to guess
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just enough pace and a couple of nice twists
limaecho-9970030 September 2019
A bingeworthy European whodunit with suspicion, intrigue and quality acting. I personally enjoy a movie where I don't know the end before I see it; this movie fulfilled that. The pace can be a little slow at times but stick with it as it's rewarding.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but not great.
sarahbrust18 April 2019
Please mind the spoilers ahead!

I'm on a Spanish marathon of movies and tv shows so Netflix obviously suggested it to me. I'm a sucker for crime investigation shows, so I gave it a go.

It is long. I mean, 1h10 of each episode is just tiring. But I started watching on a Friday night and finished on Sunday's afternoon so it caught my interest. I was amazed about how similar Galician is to Portuguese and ended up discovering that a language called Galician-Portuguese originated them both, so that's why.

Anyway, the main character is obviously a mystery and I couldn't relate to her until the very end, when I discovered why she had to be so mysterious. Since the beginning I knew something was off with that investigator, trying to implicate it was not a real case, that things in that city are not like she's used to, blah blah blah. So that wasn't a big plot twist to me. The red herrings were so-so and somethings came out of nowhere - I still don't know who's Erika, there was ever a body??? What did I miss?

But, overall, the show is good. Has a lot of twists and turns and a reasonable closure to it, but most of the characters are just obnoxious and I just couldn't care less about them. The jealous wife was depressing, the daughter was way too stupid, all characters were annoying. I couldn't even care about the missing girl. The only one I actually cared about was poor Dori - she clearly had time to return the dog, Dori didn't deserve that!!!
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a binge watch
Pretty good with a convoluted plot and a real sting in the tail. Not far off Wallander in quality and the acting and production are well up to the storyline. Best seen in one or two sittings as there are quite a few characters and the story gets complicated at times.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Compelling !!
sankhaghosh13 April 2019
This mini-series is a compelling and addictive murder mystery. The acting is quite decent. While the editing could have been more tight - the series aims at slowly creating the build up to the climax. A few of the characters were kept half-baked and seemed to have rushed towards the end. The lead female character is strong and very well played. The mystery is entangled with emotion, corruption and also societal issues.

Overall, a decent watch !!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Telenovela that tries to be Noir!
qui_j8 April 2019
This is a very poor production that Netflix seems to have picked up from Galicia. The acting is terrible, the script childish and the editing so poor that it results in scenes have no continuity. It has the usual trademark of Spanish TV, kinky sex, and a host of bizarre, sexually disturbed characters. It was not worth finishing at all. Netflix has some good stuff on it. This is certainly not one of them!
20 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great rural thriller
rls-7953019 May 2019
Fantastic Galician thriller with great script and acting. Fresh air series in a world of clichè American stereotypes.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad
Sidney1018 April 2019
The main lead female kept my interest, couldn't understand a word so eventually after 3 episodes skipped to the end as couldn't be bothered to read the subs. Boy was that a mistake all is revealed in the last episode. It was full of twists that I didn't see coming in the first few episodes. It's a worth a watch for the main female lead, she's a good actress not great supporting actors but story is good and this carries it through.
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad for a Galician series, but not bright-line in European terms
BeneCumb11 June 2019
Well, considering the fact that Galicia is no big/known spot for crime dramas, it is more than average, but the plot has gaps, the thrill fades from time to time, plus it is hardly plausible to believe that all those events can happen in a small town where people tend to be nosy and observant. All the performers were unknown to me - no wonder - but I was unable to pick almost any of them whose "fate" to be followed later; perhaps Denis Gómez as Bernabé had a more versatile character to perform...

But still, for the sake of widening horizons and making comparisons, O sabor das margaridas was definitely no waste of time; 7/10 reveal just my rating after various Scandinavian, British or even French series when it is almost painful to long for the new episode.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure nonsense
Ebert13 April 2019
Another series full of absurdities, coincidences and misunderstandings. A plot that seems to have been written by artificial intelligence so false that it is. Do not waste time with this nonsense.
9 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Siete horas de tortura alucinante
cavan-111 May 2019
"Bitter Daisies" is seven hours of agony. The story is unnecessarily convoluted; the plot is ridiculous; the dialog is stilted; there are numerous unnecessary, awkward, and implausible scenes; the subtitles are often inaccurate; the acting is forced, hammy, and pathetically melodramatic; the characters are flat, predictable, and uninteresting; the cast is not talented, attractive, or memorable; the direction is puerile, relentlessly tedious, and mind-numbing.

There is absolutely NO element of this disaster that merits a compliment. It really is that bad! Do not waste your time. It is the most unprofessional mini-series I have ever suffered through. The producers (Netflix!) should apologize to the entertainment community for foisting this insultingly stupid piece of work on unsuspecting, trusting subscribers.

This review contains no spoilers because the series itself was spoiled from the get-go.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good actress makes watching this spellbinding!
sandrao-478-8760397 August 2019
This show was excellent, the lead actress has such a captivating presence! Many unanswered questions at the end, hope they make it a series with her!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good!!
lepb-3059730 July 2019
A very good serie, a must watch for the fans of crime series. Very good written story and really exciting!! From beginning to end!

Awesome language, from Galicia, a mix of Spanish and Portuguees, very nice to hear it. Suave.

you won't regret! just watch!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silent Film
jparentgisco25 April 2019
A murder mystery? It's no mystery they can't communicate. Sub titles
2 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soap?
gtoney-7462316 April 2019
I wasn't sure if this was a cop show or a soap opera. And why didn't she return the dog? She said she was too busy. That was just plain weird.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fun but trite
joel-28011 August 2019
I couldn't count high enough to get to the movies/series with essentially the same plot, including lots of details. Girl (usually) disappears from small town, police/private person) is driven beyond normal to investigate, finds or catalyzes long-hidden secrets, usually fiscal corruption and/or sex rings, finally the secrets come out and the guilty are identified, this usually includes a secret that was driving the unusual zeal of the investigator. Often one or more policemen/women are corrupt, as well as local officials and/or other big shots.

STOP already with this plot!

For me the big attraction was to hear gallego (Galician) spoken. I doubt many others will find this a plus. Overall, not too badly done and as such a possible way to while away a few hours.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.