Between Two Ferns: The Movie (2019) Poster

The best thing about the movie are the interviews....
Wililjam20 September 2019
.... unfortunately, the movie lacks interviews. The plot of this movie is simple and kind of boring, not going to lie about that. What makes it watchable and funny are the interviews as well as the blooper reel at the end, other than that there's basically nothing funny about the movie.

I thought the idea of making a Between Two Ferns movie was a good one, and it was, in theory. I just expected something else. I expected more interviews and The Office vibes, but this was just a mess.

If you like the web-series, you'll probably enjoy the movie, maybe. I'd suggest just skipping through to the interviews, instead of watching the whole thing. 6/10, just because of the interviews and the blooper reel at the end.
113 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok
baraghinandrei-3832720 September 2019
The bloopers at the end was the best part of the movie.
280 out of 321 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Credit outtakes almost make up for rest of movie
mark-2385122 September 2019
It was watchable and had a few humorous moments throughout but I laughed much more during the credit outtakes than during any other part of the film. They probably should have just rolled that for 90 minutes.
104 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All we wanted was just the interviews
rising-down20 September 2019
Meh, the movie was okay-ish, mostly because Zach Galifianakis is hilarious as expected, but the movie itself is sort of rubbish and forced.The interviews - the heart of the whole idea - come way too short. Why Netflix just didn't opt to do a miniseries consisting of 10 interviews, 10 minutes each is beyond me. It would have been a major hit.
119 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did not live up to the expectations, but still pretty fun.
farik2320 September 2019
Long time fan of the original show online and had high hopes for this after the trailer. The story and some jokes seemed really predictable, but they were still fun nonetheless. The run time of only 75 minutes helps the movie not get boring as it is paced pretty fast. The celebrity interactions are the strongest point imo, but they felt rushed because of the fact that each celebrity was there for like 2 minutes at a time.

Overall, if you are a fan of the show, you should give it a try and see what you think. If you've never seen or dislike the original, then this is definitely not for you.
48 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simple and Funny...Zach is good.
gideonzack20 September 2019
I enjoyed it. Was funny for the most part. They cut short some of the celeb interviews but overall I found it funny. People need to keep in mind that this is the driest humor you'll encounter besides Larry David.

Overall it's funny, it's not really a film but more a device to show Zach terrorizing celebs. Overall it's simple and funny. Again they could have elongated the interviews, but it's still funny. Oh and watch the credits......:)
81 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hehehehe
petermdisalvo25 November 2019
7 ? Hehehehe. Maybe it's the wine but Hehehehe. No it's all the wine. This review is zero help.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skip to the end
bubbasumo-294-6531121 September 2019
The end credits are the funniest part. If you just skip all the "movie" parts and watch the 2 minute interviews you'll be better off.
100 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Okish
bestford28 September 2019
It was ok. Considering it has a lot of star cameos I would have expected more. Some LOL moments but not enough to consider it anymore than mediocre.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What it needs to be, and a lot of it.
Dev199920 September 2019
Between Two Ferns: The Movie. That's precisely the title, and you clicked on the thing, so what did y'all expect? A transcendental study of body and mind? Jesus, simply have some fun for once with an innocent little flick like this. Just my opinion. Personally, and it's cool if you disagree of course, this was everything I wanted and even a bit more. I did not think I would laugh pretty much all the way through one bit, but I sure did. You can totally see the fun they had on set and that decidedly benefitted the movie. Even Will Ferrell had a few hilarious lines, and I close to never think he's actually funny. Jake Gyllenhaal got a shout-out that worked so well 'cause of a good Between Two Ferns inside joke. Paul Rudd couldn't even fully pretend to be serious because he was having so much fun. Benedict Cumberbatch. This very solid flick obviously does nothing to reinvent comedy or challenge the arts, but it's so entertaining and does what it needed to do, and I'm sure some jokes will stick with me for a long time. And the bloopers are flawless, by the way.
35 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must be American humour....
jamesraymondwallace21 September 2019
When the bloopers at the end of the movie are funnier than the movie itself you know its bad great actors wasted 3 stars for the bloopers because they actually made me laugh.......
43 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A complete waste of time
louis_southwood21 September 2019
When it was announced only a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised to say the least that they were adapting a satirical talk show of the internet into a movie. I've always been a huge fan of the web show and always found the writing and humour to be really witty and funny. The same can not be said for the movie, which was just plain not funny and a complete waste of time unfortunately.

This movie followed every single cliche you could possibly imagine from a Hollywood movie. You know exactly where the film is going the entire time. The main driving force for the story is that they have to go cross country to get 10 between two ferns episodes shot so that Zach can get his own network talk show, so its a roadtrip movie... How fresh. The characters are bad, forgettable and unfunny. There is zero special about the filmmaking. One of the aspects of the movie is it's shot like they are making a documentary about the making of the web show, similar to something like the office, but unlike the office, it has zero value within this movie. It serves no purpose at all and was just another lazy excuse for a few gags. It also is completely inconsistent, the whole movie isnt shot in this documentary style, they make a point of Zach asking the make believe filmmakers to shoot everything, but then there are scenes presented like a normal movie. which begs the question why even bother in the first place?

At one point in this movie, Will Ferrell (Playing the manager of funny or die) says "people like to laugh at Zach, not with him" in reference to what made the show so popular. As if to suggest that is the driving force to what makes the web series so popular, is the fact that Zach is such a goofball. But that's not the appeal at all. The appeal is it's Zach making personal jokes about real stars careers and just plain being rude to them, having Zach shush the president of the United states, telling actors how terrible they are, in one episode he even asked hilary Clinton if email is the best way to reach her. Brilliant. It may be staged but undeniably it's still funny to see these things that you would never see happen in a more traditional interview, the show provided something unique and somewhat daring, and funny. So it's so bizzare to me that the writer and director of this movie (who is the same as the web show) didn't seem to understand the aspects that made the show so popular in the first place. I never saw Zach galifinakis as a character in the original series. More as a spokesperson for these jokes, jokes that people would make between there friends except Zach was directly speaking to them. not the Zach we see in this film, this bumbling goofy idiot type character who has a dream of making it big and becoming a real talk show host, Errm, who cares!!

The best part of this movie is of course the interviews themselves. But even they are not nearly as funny. They just feel more "polished" and some of them are less than a minute long. The movie was also not self aware in the slightest. I think it would have helped this movie along if they got alot more meta, you know have actors play up the way they are perceived by audiences, but they dont. Instead they just chose to go the absolute laziest route possible and have the actors just sit there quietly and take the abuse. The scenes between the interviews could have been filled with birdman like self awareness with actors mocking themselves. Such wasted potential here.

Overall this isn't a movie I can recommend, maybe for the ferns episodes within the film but you can probably just watch them online. In total they probably take up like 15 minutes of the film.Honestly this movie kind of ruins between two ferns going forward. When the show chastises actors for there bad choices on making bad projects from nownon. It's going to be really hard not to see the hypocrisy considering they were the same people who thought this was a good idea.
24 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious, Silly & Insults Galore!!
dip9220 September 2019
The film is filled with the most popular A-list stars and totally meets my expectations since the show debuted over 10 years ago!
40 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So very bad
bwallarab21 September 2019
This is what happens when a company like Netflix makes a greedy money grab. The original "Between Two Ferns" productions for Funny Or Die are hilarious and brilliant, allowing Galifanakis to shine as a true come genius. The Netflix movie is simply awful, the only bright moments being when Galifanakis simply recreates the BTF set pieces. The casting, acting, writing,and direction of the connecting material is so far beneath the source material, it is virtually impossible to watch. Stick with the original source material and skip this embarrassing mess.
31 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skip the movie and watch the end credits
shanayneigh12 October 2019
They were probably hoping to churn out a new Borat type movie, but it resembled more a new Action Point (2019). An excuse to drag a skit out to an 80 minute movie. I gave it almost 15 minutes, but then I started skipping the boring connective tissue between the celebrity interviews. It surely didn't help that this was the third (!) miss on Netflix on the same evening for me.

The end credits though are hilarious, and I guess you can find them on Youtube if you don't have Netflix. Because there is no reason to watch this entire film.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A strangely unfunny film feeling like a missed opportunity
snowfre21 September 2019
"Between Two Ferns" are some of the most brilliant comedy sketches ever made and when Funny or Die decides to make a movie about Zach Galiafanakis' fictional version of himself it could have been a hit. But sadly, it isn't. The bizarre humor of Galiafankis is absent throughout the entire film and with an extremely flat supporting cast, he cannot carry the film on his shoulders alone. "Between Two Ferns: The Movie" starts out fine but as the celebrity cameos stack up and the rushed production together with the thin script really make itself clear the film turns into a disappointment. Galifianakis is one of today's most brilliant comedians but I've never been so indifferent to his performances before as in this movie. I wish I could give it a higher rating, but I can't.
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious
mendoza_marlene21 September 2019
I thought it was great! Well written and very witty. I especially liked the outtakes during the credits. There needs to more episodes of Between Two Ferns made and released asap please.
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mind-numbingly boring, except for the interviews
viseshrprasad22 September 2019
I absolutely love the original show and really wanted it to be good. But the story was just stupid, the cast, acting and everything else was terrible, except for the usual interviews that the movie is based on.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the?
mrcjking20 September 2019
I love the web series. I cannot even believe that this is under the same name. I can't believe that the first few reviews with 8-10s weren't by people that made the show. I can't believe that anyone would like this. It has been excruciating getting through it.
34 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hey Scott Aukerman! Do you read these?
JamesAlvarez52021 September 2019
I loved every single person in this movie. If the Hey Nong Man were in it, that would have been icing on the cake, baby! Maybe next time. As far as the story goes, the third act was kinda slow. But everything else was pretty good!
19 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you get Zach you'll get this!
lewismillican1 October 2019
Between two ferns was a throwaway sketch show in which small time interviewer Zach Galifanakis conducted a series of obscenely insulating interviews with Hollywood stars. It was never a show in particular that was destined for a feature length movie. Not because it couldn't necessarily be executed, rather because there was no glaringly obvious potential plot line. However, Zach (writer and lead) and Scott Aukerman (Writer and Director) managed to muddle together a seemingly decent plot. Although slightly baggy at times, at the core it still holds its own - as Zach and his crew shine through.

Zach's pipeline dream of becoming a mainstream late night television host is the driving force behind this movie. Due to Zach's internet success producer Will Ferrell gifts Zach his own late night tv show in return for 10 more interviews in current format. The only caveat is that they have to be conducted within two weeks, leaving Zach and (predominantly) his crew to go about sourcing and interviewing within this ludicrous time frame.

Needless to say Zach's truly bizarre character creation is at the heart of this movie; and he is at his very best. Literally anything can come from this mans mouth, like verbal diarrhoea, Zach cannot control himself. From his obscenely out of place food and beverage orders, to his senseless lack of common sense he is utterly hilarious. It would always have been difficult to tap into comical themes other than the interviews themselves within this movie - and at times it was indeed baggy. However, the saving grace besides the already existing Zach Galifanakis are the support cast who needs just as much credit, with their stoney looks and physical acting without their stellar performances - the jokes would have stood up.

Running at only around one hour and twenty minuets, it's not exactly a Greek odyssey - but it doesn't intend to be. It is still a laugh fest, with its physical humoured quips. So if you are in the mood for a late night comedy trip - Zach Can provide. A prerequisite to your enjoyment is that you have to like or at least be onboard with Zach's character, If you buy into his awkward, desperate or dare say slightly autistic persona, it's a must see on every level.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love all the actors
kolzgb21 September 2019
But the movie was absolutely terrible. Not funny at all, and that's surprising because Will is my fave. This movie was incredibly boring. Glad I read that you should skip to the bloopers at the end. That's what I did.
22 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a little like a wildlife documentary.
stealthy_agent22 September 2019
Between Two Ferns: The Movie is somewhat hard to describe. However, it's a little like a wildlife documentary. If you've ever seen a documentary about primates - where they defecate in their hands and then throw the feces at other primates - then you'll relate to this movie. It's very much like that, although somewhat forced and stilted. If you sit through the whole thing you'll likely begin to question your life and the things that led you up to that point. However, it's important to remember that you will go on, and you will do better things with your existence. Just don't give up. You're a good person who made a mistake, but that mistake shouldn't define you.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
adam-pittway21 September 2019
With a cast as talented as this one, I am scratching my head as to why this was so unfunny ? Admittedly, saying crass insensitive things to celebrities your pretending to interview is nothing new (Howard Stern and Ali G come to mind) but there was nothing original about this.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not funny
silva_e_souza31 October 2020
Well... I don't know what was all about. Of course mr. Zach Galifianakis is a good guy, he is a friend of a lot of actors, it is the only thing that explain this kind of movie with a lot of "expensive" actors doing nothing... It is not funny at all, OK ?
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.