This change was made to incorporate Chinese culture, and because cosmic jewelry had already been done with Thanos the Titan in the form of the Infinity Stones and Infinity Gauntlet.
- the Chinese guardian lion represents peace, supremacy, energy and happiness
- the quilin represents longevity and prosperity
- the fenghuang (phoenix) represents immortality
- the hulijing (many-tailed fox) represents supernatural powers, peace and prosperty
- the dijiang (Morris) represents chaos and confusion, and enjoys singing and dancing; an appropriate animal to befriend the actor Trevor Slattery.
In the comics, Shang-Chi's father was the Chinese criminal mastermind Fu Manchu, a character originally created by Sax Rohmer, but he acquired enough renown and infamy to appear in the Marvel Comics. In 2010, the character was renamed Zheng Zu.
The film does not bring up this mythic angle, and merely has Ta Lo be another world in the Marvel Multiverse.