Maara (2021) Poster

(2021)

Maara
santhosh-102908 January 2021
Good Movie. Everybody acted well in the movie. In songs "Yaar Azhaippathu" was good. BGM was good in the movie. The movie has many boring and lagging scenes. The story in the movie was good but they presented it as boring. The movie could have been more better. Good Movie.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A feel-good remake with some plot & character improvisations! [+64%]
arungeorge1310 January 2021
Director Dhilip Kumar adapts the story of Charlie retaining the broader scheme of things but tweaking the details - the result is a feel-good flick that's impressive to look at, yet somewhat drawn out. Charlie, the 2015 film, had this inherent magical aura in its treatment that appeared quite difficult to replicate. I have to say that Dhilip Kumar managed to get some important things right. Let's begin with the casting choices. It's a tough act to follow if you look at the mystique that Dulquer Salmaan lent to Charlie, and though Madhavan is older (and that's acknowledged in the film both by way of his salt-and-pepper beard and through dialogue!), he adds some grounded curiosity to Maara. Shraddha Srinath (an actor I admire for the roles she picks) fits into the shoes of Paaru (a version of Tessa, from the original) with ease.

Moving on to the aesthetics. This is where Maara scores a bit higher. While Charlie also captured the artsy essence of Kochi, Maara does so effortlessly. Whether it's those dazzling sunrises/sunsets, the engrossing artwork on those walls (or at the house), or the colour palette in general, the cinematography makes you fall in love with the visuals. Even the hill-station-esque second half is a feast for the eyes. I also like how Dhilip Kumar adds little bits and pieces to both Maara and Paaru to make their arcs well-rounded. The supporting acts (Guru Somasundaram, Sshivada, Mouli, and more) are pretty solid as well. Ghibran's work on the background score is splendid while songs are okayish. That's not to say everything works.

The issues that plagued Charlie creep into Maara as well. The second half, for all its worth, is a bit of a drag. As much as Dhilip adds his own to Maara, it only prolongs the inevitable (i.e. Maara and Paaru meeting up for the first time!). Also, there's this unpredictable, almost-fairytale-like aura about Charlie that's missing in Maara, who's more realistically sentimental. And in the second half, the untold romance between Maara and Paaru take a backseat for one of the prominent subplots to play out. Maybe, these decisions were cautiously made and the director felt like he offered a better take. Can't blame the guy. Screenplay-wise, I found the second half of Charlie to be weaker than its first too.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Copy pasted with poor twist
saru20202 February 2021
Travel based movies & life based movies always stay with us even they're so crappy as there would be so many places that we could get to see by sitting at the comfort of your home and that gives a little bit of affinity towards the movie, the same goes with the movie's original make in Malayalam as well but this one was more centered towards the female lead rather than male lead in the original one and maybe that's why it didn't leave much impact in the end with anything special to cherish or even say about it. Definitely watchable once if you like seeing new places.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a wonderful Story
shovonbhattachrjee26 January 2021
The storyline of this movie is just amazing and beautiful. Acting is also very much good. Superb story,superb place,everything is superb on this movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Faithful to the original and some extra stories and flavours
m-ramanan25 April 2021
Faithful to the original and some extra stories and flavours... these extras makes this remake more watchable... fantasised story and breezing presentation with eye catching locals..... Worth the watch...
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maara On Amazon Prime Video: Madhavan And Shraddha Srinath Are All Charm In A Good-Hearted, If Overlong, Romance
shefali-5924419 March 2021
Maara is based on Charlie (2015), which Martin Prakkat directed and co-wrote with Unni R. The director, Dhilip Kumar (I wrote a short film for him once), said in a Film Companion interview that he's made an adaptation, not a remake. I don't recall Charlie all that well, but if memory serves me right, the broad beats in Maara are the same and yet, the specifics are different. The story is the kind of magical fable that makes you think what Anurag Basu would have made of it. And the template is essentially that of a treasure hunt, except that the pot of gold at the end is replaced by an insanely charming man (Dulquer Salmaan in the original, R Madhavan here), from whom the film takes its name.
Visually Beautiful But Too Slow
indianature9 January 2021
I watched Maara in orig. Tamil audio w/English subtitles on Primevideo. I have seen the Malayalam film Charlie too, which Maara is supposed to be a variant of. Anyway I watched Maara without making any comparisons though of course its hard to miss the similarities.

The cinematography and the visuals are delightful, from the painted walls of Kochi - are these from the Muziris festival or painted specially for this film? to the stunningly beautiful tea estate ringed by forest, Ooty environs perhaps? to the art work in Maara's house and the antique shop of Mattancherry. It's a veritable feast for the eyes, no doubt about it.

The plot is quite a bit of fantasy, the sets and the acting mostly good. Madhavan is of course Madhavan. I like Minon the young Maara who is Vellaiyah's train companion, I also like Alex Babu the hilarious stand up comic in his new avatar as the thief who becomes Maara's buddy. Paaru's character is also well essayed. You cant compare Maara and Paaru with Charlie's Charlie(DQ) and Tessa (Parvathy) because their characters have greatly differing levels of exuberance in the two movies.

Maara is too long and I fast forwarded a bit through several exceedingly slow portions. Had the length been reduced by about 40min, this would have been a much better film. It is undoubtedly a watchable film in no small measure thanks to the visual feast, but its not that interesting either. Something is missing. For that matter though I liked Charlie, I felt that too was overrated.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movie of 2021
Harshithnagraj5 February 2021
The movie is like that they are narrating a fairy tale to us and the bgm is top notch and acting is really good and overall a great watch.
Absolutely a Fairy Tale
prithiviramthirupathy8 January 2021
A Tale of love. Modern love & Olden Love.

Frame by Frame fantastically artworked. Eye catching Visuals. Excellent cinematography, Outstanding Technical Works, Floating BGM, Songs, lyrics etc. Moreover Evergreen Touching Story and Smooth Neat Screenplay. Hats off to all artists who have worked in this film. Big standing ovation to the entire team of Maara.

Very very lovely & beautiful romantic film in this year start up. Another blockbuster film for Amazon Prime Video.. Expecting to receive awards in many categories.. Best Wishes..

This wonderful and beautiful film seems Very Very Close to the Heart...

Absolutely a fairy tale - Experience the feel of ideal love and compassion..
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visual treat, but felt like watching a drama
maruthuk-214709 January 2021
Movie was a visual treat right from the word go, with its picturesque locations and excellent cinematography. Art lovers will definitely like this movie, but this movie is definitely not worth watching in big cinema screens. Screenplay and editing could have been little better, as felt like watching a drama at times. Acting of Sradha Srinath, Madhavan and Shivada Nair was too good and they communicate their dialogues through eyes. If they could have avoided some scenes, it would have been a complete family entertainer, which could have been watchable with kids!
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Woww!
ud21019 January 2021
Outstanding performance by Maddy and Shraddha. Movie was so soo good you will not realize It's a remake of any other movie. Cinematography was one of the best in recent times and Ghibran Bgm was awesome. Great start to the new year..
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply awesome.
jaybhakta-8009510 January 2021
Much thankful i got a chance to see this at home on big screen tv. Awesome Ariel shots and wonderful story. It all connects at the end.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding 8/10
sankalpoctober25 January 2021
Maara is an outstanding movie. Compared to de original movie I.e, Charlie dis Movie is better than dat coz Charlie was kind of unfinished story. But... Marra remade De Same movie nd its superb compare to Charlie. But... The songs were damn osmm in Charlie nd de BGM too. Charlie had a separate fan base for its BGM. But.. Both de movies r different in different perspectives Nd both De movies can't be compared.

Cinematography was amazing. Hats off to the editors Nd De whole film crew for making dis Movie a successful one.

Songs weren't soo good compared to Charlie. But... De movie is amazing nd I felt emotional in de ending scene.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
#mustwatchartsculpturepaintingmovie - director dilip kumar's #Maara (2021)
SENKETTRU9 January 2021
Whoever missed to watch #Charlie (Malayalam) Watch this in Tamil. #senkettru's rating - 10/10.
Worst adaption of Charlie
nikhilnssn9 January 2021
Charlie- original malayalam version was 100 times better than this. Shraddha acting is very poor. They changed the ending and made a blunder. for real feel watch Charlie
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't create an impact like Charlie
sanion-865189 January 2021
Madhavan is a good actor and overall the movie is good thou a few changes from the original movie Charlie somehow I didn't get the vibe of how Charlie was, Maara lacked something somewhere is what I felt after the movie got over must be the music or casting or script but you can watch it once thou.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Copy
bejoythundil29 January 2021
All concept taken from Malayalam movie Charlie released in 2015, you can say its an copy slight scene her and there also made an twist in the meeting of Meenakshi scence.
A great start for 2021
gowthamraghunathan9 January 2021
Artworks of this movie is so cute.... A tale that connects everyone and builds up a beautiful story! No... It is nothing to do with the original movie.
Nice!
aclockworkbear9 March 2021
I can say, this was my first Indian movie. It was really enjoyable to watch. I got sucked in to the story and couldn't put it down! It's not an American or British movie. It's told in that cultures storytelling way. I admit I was expecting something a bit different and more whimsical. But in the end, this movie stayed with me for the past couple weeks. I can honestly say that I've never seen a movie quite like this one before Oh, and I wish I could see another movie just like this. Give it a try.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't felt like a remake
ssubroto949 January 2021
I started to watch this one with less expectations. But I really enjoyed it. You will be satisfied after watching it. Happy watching .
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honest remake that has its own uniqueness
sachchinannam5 March 2021
I started to watch this movie expecting it would be frame by frame adaption of its Malayalam version. However, i was wrong - this movie is something different; woven using different colors and music.

Cinematographer deserves an applause for bring amazing colors on the screen which lifts the scenes and songs / BGM adds a dimensions to the film.

Maara without Maddy would be food without salt or seasoning. He justified the role with performance.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must Watch. Bollywood take lessons
yogafitnessnidhi19 January 2021
I don't understand the language but I watched it reading the subtitles. This is just so beautiful to experience.
A beautiful painting.
srinivasravindra13 January 2021
A beautiful painting on silver screen. Best performance by Madhavan and Shraddha srinath, good music and photography. Memorable movie by director Dhilip Kumar.
Master piece
vedanthkumar10 January 2021
The cinematography , story , acting and the music was perfect . The paintings and art were marvelous . It's a must watch
Maara( 2021)
rdakshay3 March 2021
Maara is A boring flim , Delayed Screenplay . This flim has so much lag . Madhavan Sir acting is good but Others acting was worst . I liked Madhavan sir's Movie such as Irudhu Sutru & Vikram Vedha & Priyamana thozi Old flim .
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.