Scooby-Doo! and the Curse of the 13th Ghost (TV Movie 2019) Poster

A highly entertaining wrap-up to the weakest Scooby-Doo show
aponx9 February 2019
Who's seriously giving this anywhere near a ONE out of ten? LOL pathetic.

Anyway, thanks to the always-winning combo of the modern day Scooby-Doo animation style + quality, the incredible (possibly franchise greatest) voice acting cast, and the infinitely enjoyable fourth wall-breaking comedy writing, this very easily ends up being yet another top quality WB Animation Scooby film.
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Return of Vincent Van Ghoul and Flim Flam.
mickdansforth6 February 2019
This movie is awesome. It's great to get Vincent Van Ghoul and Flim Flam back, even for just this movie.

In the 1985 series, Fred and Velma were absent from Mystery Inc, so when this adventure starts, Daphne takes charge and Fred feels lost. This is an interesting character arch for the movie. Several of the characters have their own journeys to go through in this movie. There is also the fun of the mystery and adventure.

This movie has the feel and tone of the recent string of Scooby Doo animated films., and as such, Weerd & Bogel, the comedic relief ghosts of the 13 Ghosts series, as well as Scrappy Doo, don't really fit, and were not added. But they did work in the Rubber Duckie.

Beyond existing, this movie isn't as audacious as Tom & Jerry: Spy Quest, Scooby-Doo! and Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery or Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold. They played it a bit safe, coloring within the lines. But if you have enjoyed Moon Monster Madness, Shaggy's Showdown, Gourmet Ghost and other recent Scooby Doo animated movies, you will easily love this one.

My only disappointment is that the way Universal DVD/Blu Ray releases for theatrical films generally come with animated shorts, like Minions or whatever, I wish this DVD came with a Weerd and Bogel short, so we could see what they are up to, without changing the tone of the feature. Also it would have been nice to get a trailer, teaser or even a title card with a vague release date for at least one rumored upcoming Scooby Doo release. Seeing the Spy Quest trailer on Rabbit's Run was awesome!
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun follow-up to the show and a change of formula
jwwalrath-227-854877 February 2019
Back in the 80's there was a short-lived Scooby-Doo show called "The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby-Doo," in which the titular dog and friends hunted down thirteen evil apparitions that had escaped a magic chest. The show differentiated itself from other installments by being more humor-oriented and breaking the fourth wall, outfit changes, and new characters young con-artist Flim Flam and warlock Vincent Van Ghoul, voiced by the late great Vincent Price. Though short lived and not the best remembered show it has its fans. In a ranking of SD shows, this'd probably be in the middle.

Thing is: the show ended with only 11 ghosts being captured. Well someone at Warner Bros. Animation must be fond of this. Besides references to Flim Flam and Van Ghoul, we now, approximately 30 years, later have a conclusion to the show where the Scooby gang hunts down the final ghost. (Sort of a conclusion anyway. It's in its own continuity.) I was entertained and thought it was one of the better recent Scooby-Doo movies.

The creators were clearly having fun with this. The movie remains upbeat and there are a couple of pretty humorous lines. Fred and Velma weren't in the original show, so the film really runs with them trying to wrap their heads around the off-formula goings-ons of the whole thing. Daphne was the leader in the show, and she resumes it here. She does a good job in the lead having a sort of determined ability to roll with all the punches. Van Ghoul, who could've been a sixth-wheel to the group, surprisingly fits in. He has sort of a campy melodramatic backstory and resoluteness to himself that just works. Plus I love his childish obsession with bad horror puns.

The movie does lose some steam by the middle and the ending is a little underwhelming. Plus, the gang has a crisis at the beginning that isn't properly resolved. The movie stays within the tone of the recent SB made-for-DVD movies and not the show so not fourth-wall breaking jokes or Scrappy-Doo. Personally, I haven't liked Scooby's nephew, even when I was a kid, but I can see how fans of Scrappy would be upset that they do so much now-a-days to throw Scrappy to the side.

Animation remains bright and colorful with strong line work. There is one flashback scene that is really well animated. However, some of the action scenes seem a little weak compared to past movies. There are several nods to the unique looks of the characters during the 13 Ghosts. Though Daphne's hair and outfit and the Mystery Machine's appearance were too dated to use, we do get some impressive updates with Daphne in a leather jacket and the Mystery Machine designed to be more of a sleeker high-tech van.

Overall, your kids probably won't care about the backstory and this is self-contained enough that they won't be bothered. I think they'll like Vincent's puns.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby-Doo is getting back on track...
paul_haakonsen9 February 2019
With the overwhelming amount of animated Scooby-Doo movies being essentially copy-paste products, then it is progressive getting more and more difficult to find the will to invest time and money into sitting down to watching them.

But alas, my son wanted to watch this 2019 addition to the Scooby-Doo franchise, so of course I indulged him and went along with him to watch it. And I must say that it was actually one of the better and more interesting of animated Scooby-Doo movies I have seen in a while.

Sure, it still follows the traditional run-of-the-mill blueprint of how to make a proper Scooby-Doo movie, which it should also do, by all means. After all, it is part of the charm and what we love about the Scooby-Doo franchise, isn't it? But at the same time, the people at Hanna-Barberra managed to keep it fresh and adding just that addition twist and spice to it, to make it outstanding and interesting.

For me it was the wonderful nod towards Vincent Price in the character named Vincent van Ghoul. Not only did it look like the late Vincent Price, but also sounded much like him, and the dialogue of this particular character was just loaded with nods and references to the old horror movies that Vincent Price was in.

The animation style and the art style was loveable and wonderful, as it always is in these animated Scooby-Doo movies, and that is also one of the things that I love about the franchise. No matter how many years have passed, it remains the same. Sure they have opted for some questionable movies and such, but I always find comfort in returning to the cartoons and animated movies that look and feel like they did when I was a child watching Scooby-Doo every Saturday and Sunday morning.

For an animated movie, then a proper cast for the voice acting is a must. And as always, then they nailed it right on the head with "Scooby-Doo! and the Curse of the 13th Ghost". They always do. You, of course, have the wonderful talents of returning voice actors Frank Welker, Grey Griffin, Matthew Lillard and Kate Micucci, which pretty much sums up the entire thing that is the Mystery Gang. But then you throw a voice like Maurice LaMarche into the soup and he nails it spot on with his impression of Vincent Price.

"Scooby-Doo! and the Curse of the 13th Ghost" is a much needed and much welcomed addition to the Scooby-Doo franchise, and hopefully it will set a new standard of what to expect from forthcoming movies in the franchise. This is definitely well worth a watch for old-time fans of Scooby-Doo as well as newcoming fans.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit different story from the rest. But very good to enjoy.
silvermistvio10 February 2019
Scooby Doo animations never make me boring. I love Scooby Doo animations no matter how people think they are just for kids and animations are for kids. And this one is also a good one to enjoy. At least, it doesn't make me boring.

Although the story is quite simple, but it turned out good one. The voice actors are so perfect and so, it turned out a fine animation.

What I love is the van changed. We all saw the mystery machine every time. In this one, there's no such mystery machine. They replaced with a new cool van. It makes me have different feeling for this animation.

All in all, although people are giving low rates, as for me, it's good to enjoy.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
RIP Fred Jones 1969-2019
OmisaurusX16 February 2019
They absolutely ruined Fred in this. It all began with Shaggy's Showdown(2017) and here they absolutely murdered his character. For these new pseudo liberal writers, writing a strong woman means destroying a male character. FRED WENT CHEERLEADING?? REALLY!!?? As for the movie, it's garbage. Loved Shaggy & Scooby hence the 2 stars.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3.0 out of 5 starsNot bad but mildly disappointing (Vincent Van Ghoul was great though)
CountVladDracula6 February 2019
I just saw the new direct-to-video film Scooby Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost. It's essentially the long over due grand finale of the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo (with Weird and Boggle quietly forgotten and Scrappy just name dropped and semi-forgotten).

Scooby Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost was okay but slightly annoying. Maurice LaMarche did a fantastic job imitating Vincent Price for the character of Vincent Van Ghoul and I even appreciated the appearance of the giant rubber duck but Velma's skepticism got annoying and fast. I thought it would be more like the 1990s Scooby Doo movies where the ghosts were real. But this one tried to have its cake and eat it too, attempting to appeal to fans of the version of Scooby where the ghosts are fake and the ones who liked the occult side of things by trying to imply it all MIGHT have been illusion. I didn't like that and it pretty much ruined the story for me.

Again, Vincent Van Ghoul was great. Even older Flim Flam was good but whoever decided to try to make the supernatural "maybe fake" spoilt it for me. I do love that Mortifer is modeled after Peter Lorre though.

Now that I've had time to think about it, it feels like the Scooby Doo and the Curse of the 13th ghost went under drastic rewriting to try to keep the supernatural ambiguous. I got the impression there was originally a brilliant and almost Faustian redemption story about Vincent Van Ghoul and the ghost of his ancestor apparently being the villain and turning out to just be seeking redemption and that was mostly erased for the annoying Velma the skeptic nonsense being drawn out and more obnoxious than ...I dare say it... Scrappy Doo.

Part of the charm of the 13 Ghosts of Scooby doo was it was one of the first on-going Scooby series were the supernatural was real. I liked that era of Scooby Doo, particularly the 90s direct to video movies, because once they accepted the supernatural was real there was still mystery but it wasn't as repetitive as the old masked suspect trope (something that actually got annoying to me as a kid). But it's like whoever is in charge of Scooby Doo right now can't let that phase of Scooby go and is fixated on downplaying the supernatural in places where it shouldn't be. Let Vincent Van ghoul and his world be truly magical. That was one of that show's best aspects and it should not be undone. This isn't the crossover episode with Supernatural.. If this is meant for fans of the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo series we should have our magick!
9 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This isn't what I was sold.
grayskullprime7 February 2019
The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo was one of my favorite incarnations of the show as a kid. So I was excited when I heard about this movie. Sad to say, it doesn't live up to my expectations. What I thought was going to be a reunion of the gang with Van Ghoul and Flim Flam turned out to be a series of overly long, unfunny gags, mostly centering around Fred's insecurities (and cheerleading because they thought that was funny, I guess) that strained even my tolerance for lame 80s Hannah Barbera comedy. I often felt the writers were more concerned with poking fun at the concept of Scooby-Doo more than the advertised plot. Which is all well and good but it's been done (Zombie Island) and done better (Mystery Inc.)

The reunion of the 13 Ghosts cast, which you actually came here to see, didn't come until late into the movie, essentially being treated as an afterthought. Likewise, the absence of Scrappy-Doo was reduced to one throwaway joke.

The most grating part of this movie for me was that 13 Ghosts centered around the gang trying to trap 13 actual ghosts in a magic chest, eventually catching all but the 13th. This is back during a time when the series was less mystery and more goofy comedy that didn't care to shy away from the supernatural. But this movie was trying to fit that plot into their usual and current "guy in a mask" theme. This not only ended up being a major letdown but kind of insulting. The 13th ghost was a great big nothing, Van Ghoul was portrayed as a powerless whimp and they invalidated the entire 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo series by implying it never happened. Why couldn't they have just set this in the 13 Ghosts universe as a stand alone? It's not like these movies have a continuing narrative you have to follow.

This movie didn't know what it wanted to be. Kids today don't remember 13 Ghosts so they'll probably like it but as someone who grew up with it, and obviously was the target of their nostalgia, I feel like they took something dear from my childhood and dumped all over it. Why even bother making this a series finale of a 30 year old show to begin with?
8 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby-Doo with a Libtard makeover
michaelant55510 February 2019
I grew up with Scooby-Doo and it was always one of my favorites. In this movie the gang are on the brink of retiring (why???) but then a case comes up where they have to hunt down the 13th Ghost.

I won't give anything away but, as a side note, I will just say that the franchise has been hijacked by the Hollywood liberals who thought it would be a great idea to give this wonderful classic an LGBT touch. These people need locking up and medicating!

That said, it was a run-of-the-mill Scooby-Doo special. Nothing really exciting, here, but if you're a fan then you should be able to make it to the end.

One last thing. It would have been nice if they had given the Mystery Machine a technical upgrade instead of doing what they chose to do. Some things need to be left the hell alone. 6/10 from me. *Update - All the short bus libtards marking this review down can go swivel and make an appointment to get some professional help. MAGA!
7 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not The Conclusion We Waited 24 Years For
jeremycrimsonfox8 February 2019
Yeah, when I saw the trailer for this, I was excited. As a kid, I saw 13 Ghosts Of Scooby-Doo sometimes, and it was good, since it dared to do something different with the famous mystery-solving Great Dane and had him and his friends face off against real ghosts. Sadly, it was cancelled after only 13 episodes, and with all but the 13th and final ghost being sent back to the Chest of Demons. Now, 27 years later, Warner Bros. releases this original DTV movie, and sadly, they do not do a good job tying up loose ends.

The first problem with the film is Daphne becoming the leader like in the original series. However, this DTV special also has Fred and Velma, who were not present in the original, involved. This causes the two to go into an out of character moment, where Fred tries to find what he is good at, and Velma trying to disprove the 13 Ghosts are real ghosts (which is strange, considering she saw real monsters in Zombie Island and The Witch's Ghost).

Another problem with it is how the story is done. In the original, Scooby, Shaggy, and Daphne were joined by Scrappy and a con-artist named Flim-Flam, however, in this film, while Flim-Flam returns (as a teenager), Scrappy is nowhere to be seen. The intro never displays him, and when Flim-Flam mentions him, Velma asks him "What's a Scrappy?", which is a clear sign that this movie basically erased Scrappy-Doo from the continuity, which is sad. I know Scrappy gets a lot of hate, but he should've returned, especially since Flim-Flam, who also got his fair share of negative criticism, was allowed to return. Also, Weerd and Bogul, the two ghosts who serve as henchmen for the ghosts and were the reason why Scooby and Shaggy opened the chest, are also absent, which makes no sense.

But the worst part of this whole movie is the fact that it takes the plot of 13 Ghosts and destroys it. Basically, in the end, the 13th ghost is revealed to be just another guy in a mask, in this case, Vincent's old ally, Mortifer, who discovered the chest with him. Also, it drops the bombshell that the 13th ghost, Asmodeus, is an ancestor of Vincent, and in the end, Velma dismisses the events of the movie and the 13 Ghosts series as a hallucination.

In conclusion, this movie does not give the ending to 13 Ghosts that some Scooby fans wanted. In fact, watching the film, it seems that the people who made this film either never watched 13 Ghosts before making this or were forced to change the ending to make it as it is seen. The only good parts are the flashbacks that add backstory as to how Vincent came across the Chest of Demons, and the fact that Maurice LaMarche does a good job voicing Vincent Van Ghoul. sadly, the movie is littered with numerous continuity errors that would make diehard Scooby fans go on the internet and rage. While the younger Scooby fans may be interested in this, as they probably won't know this is based on a cartoon from the 1980's unless they have it on DVD or saw said series on Boomerang or somewhere on the internet, and probably won't care, longtime Scooby fans should stay away.
5 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I waited 34 years for this conclusion... all I got was this Chest of Demons Cooler
brailsford9 February 2019
To appreciate why this movie might bother some of us who saw it you have to understand the original show this movie is supposed to be paying homage to and follow up. This era came from the peak of the Scooby, Shaggy (red shirt), and of course Scrappy Doo. This was pre Zombie island but yet ghosts and magic was real. The stories were also a lot sillier. Vincent Van Ghoul was a warlock with significant power.

This movie on the other hand decided to go with the more common tropes of the current wave of Shovel Stories, introducing new characters, making the story into a solveable mystery and nerfing as much of the supernatural as possible. Fred and Velma really are the biggest problem in this movie, Velma's skepticism constantly having to be reasonably satisfied and Fred's constantly needing to feel important in the mystery solving process.

The movie begins with a backstory of Vince and a new character Mortimer and giving some info on the 13th ghost. It then follows up with giving the gang a reason for needing a reason for the gang to retire, that brings up unnecessary questions about passage of time. The gang messes up a case and proceeds to give up solving mysteries and have a yard sale where they sell the mystery machine, show off a series of Easter eggs and find the crystal ball where we see a return of Vincent Van Ghoul. The gang of course immediately goes there skeptical of Scooby, Shaggy and Daphnee's adventures as ghost hunters from when they were split up.

They find VanGhoul's place decked out with fake stuff to make it spooky even going beyond classic scooby doo for making it obviously tricks. They then find Vince tied up in a coffin, he informs them they will need the chest of demons to get the last ghost. They come to realize they need to go to the Himalayas which is actually a throwback to the first episode of 13 ghosts of Scooby-Doo, alas no town filled with werewolves this time or Bogle and Weerd. At this point it becomes clear there isn't much of story as the search for the chest of demons consumes the majority of the rest of the story, we soon get to see Fred and Velma meet Flim Flam who has aged a significant amount but yet remains as obnoxious and a conartist. That said being an offensive middle eastern stereotype, he also is a weapons dealer. As if the Impersonation of Vincent Price wasn't bad enough in this film, the song Scoobystition felt a lot like a rip off Thriller so there is that too.

But perhaps nothing is worse than the ending where the gang unmasks the 13th ghost,who turns out to be Mortimer who faked his own death to steal it so he could sell it for a lot of money (10 million to be exact), of course being an expert on the chest being one of the discoverers of it he couldn't tell the difference between the real chest and one of Flim Flam's coolers.

The 13th ghost shows up just at the end in what felt like a tacked on wrap up to the story that ties into the book that Velma was reading that also was invented for the movie. The ghost rather then needing to be locked up in the chest just needed to find peace by making amends with his descendant.

As a fan of the classic series since it was one of the first original series I was alive for the first airing syndication of, it holds a special place in my memory, one I had watched enough times I could quote it line for line at one point as a kid, this movie was beyond a let down. This movie is basically the same as every rushed scooby doo movie released today, an extended episode obsessed with giving characters unnecessary depth and not worried about having a good story. Scrappy Doo who was a major part of this series got one mention, if you don't want to have Scrappy Warner Brothers then don't make a 13 ghosts movie, even worse there was nothing on Bogle or Weerd, who were as significant unique characters to this series as Vincent and Flim Flam. Deep down I was really hoping this could be another movie in the vain of Reluctant Werewolf, Ghoul School or Boo Brothers, but alas I realize now Warner doesn't get the surreal nature of the late 80s Scooby. Vincent no longer is the most powerful warlock ever as for much of the movie he barely had enough power to open a door. The movie doesn't even get around to resolving their conflict with the sheriff who was hassling them about messing up the case at the beginning despite teasing they would all the way til the credits roll. Nothing about this felt like 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo, it all feels like another one of the many direct to video movies which are long tv episodes.
4 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.