The Green Knight (2021) Poster

1,579 Reviews
Worst in a very long time
Leofwine_draca27 September 2021
One of the very worst films I've seen in a long time. Impossibly, improbably arty but in an extremely dull, nothing happening kind of way. Couldn't stand the direction from the outset or the constant anachronisms which wear the viewer down. Apparently the idea from this came from the director playing with WILLOW figures in his back garden and that certainly shows. CGI talking animals, bored actors (Dev Patel, what are you up to?) and one good visual with the walking giants. A hated film.
160 out of 318 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Matter Of Britain
boblipton31 July 2021
David Lowery's movie version of the Middle English poem known as "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" is a thing of visual beauty and story weirdness. Believed to be written about the time of Chaucer in a completely different dialect of English, its basic story -- Gawain accepts a Christmas challenge by the Green Knight at blows with his axe; one year later, Gawain must present himself to the Green Knight and accept a similar blow. Gawain knocks off the fellow's head; the Knight picks it up, reminds Gawain of his promise and toddles off.

Lowery's version is about the honesty of the world, and whether honor is more than thin air; whether, in the words of John Wooden, there is a difference between character and reputation. At first glance, Dev Patel would seem to be a weird choice for Gawain. Well, he is, but he handles the role very well, acting with face and body as well as words. Joel Edgerton is also excellent as the friendly lord who seriously tempts Patel. Cameraman Andrew Droz Palermo shoots the locations in Ireland and the whole thing is given a subtle muddy green tone that makes it all seem even weirder than it might.

Because it is weird. Although this poem contains elements that hook into better known examples of the Matter of Britain as amplified by the French, there are hints in it that it partakes in other, forgotten traditions. Like Arthurian legends' British source, Welsh mythology, we no longer have any clear idea what they're about. The best we can manage are some rough parallels with other mythologies, but like the Mabinogion, they must remain obscure.

Maybe that's a good thing for the individual artist. If no one can state authoritatively what a particular symbol means, then the artist is free to interpret. Indeed, that is the constant that gives these works their longevity: if the symbol remains constant, but the meaning changes, then each generation can find its own meaning. It may not suit people like me, who want their butterflies neatly pinned, labelled and stuck behind glass, but it does keep things lively.
93 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A kinda fantastic journey - think green!
Horst_In_Translation25 August 2021
"The Green Knight" is a new movie in fact that just hit cinemas here and it is a co-production between Ireland, the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom and with this quartet nobody can really be surprised that it from beginning to end in the English language, even if thick accents are very frequent here. But let's take a look at the basics first: The writer and director is American filmmaker David Lowery, who has really received many accolades and awards now over the years and he launched his career as an editor, so it should not really surprise anybody that he also worked as an editor on this film here and on many other not too long ago, even if he has progressed to being the man in charge of the entire project as well. The title character is played by Dev Patel, who had his breakthrough with Slumdog Millionaire over a decade ago now, a film that won Best Picture at the Academy Awards. Since then, he has also managed to score Oscar nominations himself and it is also kinda funny to compare his bearded self in 2021 with the boy he was back then briefly before the 2010s. He is in almost every scene from this movie from beginning to end and the only lead. Here and there, he is joined by the stunning Oscar-winning actress Alicia Vikander. Joel Edgerton is also always easy to identify and I kinda like the screen presence he has and the energy he usually brings to his roles. When he comments on the main character's language, there is also a really rare moment of comedy here almost. Not a funny movie. Does not aspire to be such. Back to the cast, there are other familiar faces like Barry Keoghan who you could recognize if you saw his Yorgos Lanthimos movie. He is easy to identify really, seemed to be a bit of a clumsy friend in his first scene, there to maybe to get in some comic relief, but turned out he is something else entirely.

Keoghan is by the way an actor who originates from Ireland and this is why he also fit very nicely in this film. This is a really Irish movie, not only because of the strong presence of the color green, but also because of the names of locations and characters. Even Dev Patel, who is really everything but Irish, plays a character named Gawain. Enough said. By the way, he is not the title character, is he? I'm not sure. There is constantly talk about him (not) being a knight, but I kept thinking it's maybe the one who shows up initially to submit this challenge. That character, who we also see in the end again luckily, was almost more memorable to me than Patel's. He looked so amazing visually and everything fit there and I would immediately watch a film about this character. Great voice as well. Or how they show us the method through which the queen reads this very special letter at the beginning. And how it exhausts her right away when she is finished as if some evil spirit possessed her. You can discuss if this tree-like creature is evil. At least he has red blood as we see when he is decapitated. Or seemed to have been decapitated initially. And of course he did not feel any fear. He knew he could stay alive, maybe thanks to his magical axe. That axe was also a really nice inclusion. I mean look at tiny little plants coming out of the area around it when it is laid down. That was a really small moment, but great attention to detail and memorable as a consequence. Also, you must understand that this is not a superhero movie, evven if it is a fantasy movie. It may come easy to think of The Green Hornet, Green Lantern, Green Arrow... when reading the title, but it turns out something completely different. But still good.

There are not too many flaws for me with this film, even if it also did not reach greatness for me overall. Or too rarely. I struggled a bit for example with how quickly the main character has a bit of a falling-out with Edgerton's character or also with the fox immediately afterwards who seemed like a loyal companion before that. That came a bit surprising for sure, but maybe also indicates how nothing is safe in terms of belonging and friendship when the adventure continues. Probably our hero here was a bit of a loner. Maybe also that is why he did not really have too much to lose when accepting the strange visitor's proposal and he was the only one who did. I just mentioned the fox. That one I have to go with again. I liked the scene in which he was introduced in a way with this woman who was actually a spirit. Also I really liked the way the fox was animated. Incredibly cute. I want that one in my life. But this animal also symbolized in a way that the protagonist did not want to be 100% alone as we see when he allows the fox (never know if I should say "he", "she" or "it", but one thing is safe: I won't say "they") to enter. Other highlights from this film except the little fox was the scene in which the ruthless fighter introduced himself and came to visit the king and bring him this letter. You could see that he was not scared at all because he knew he would get out there alive 100%. His laughter actually sounded on the evil side. The king asking the male protagonist before that to come sit with him did feel a bit random though, even if he was his nephew. The connection with the young man's mother and how she is potentially a witch. Well, that I was not too big on or added very little from me.

Then there is the color green. Many beautiful shots including this. One I remember in particular is towards the end when out hero(?) is there and sees the creature he has been looking for. We see this shot in two different shades of green basically. Also Vikander's speech on the significance of the color green in nature, but also how men see it and react to it, was a true highlight. Vikander turned that monologue into something truly memorable and haunting. Big thumbs-up to her and that powerful scene alone proved that she is among the finest actresses from her generation as of now without a doubt. As I am getting closer to the end of this review, let me say a few words about the ending. It seemed like a lightning-speed fast-forward look at the coming decades when the protagonist returns and becomes kking, but his cowardice always haunts him and eventually also has him lose his head. So he will be headless no matter what. Then we see it was really just a what-if, a premonition you could say. There Lowery also toys a bit with the audience. When the forest creature compliments the boy that he finally understood and made the right choice, you could think that the crucial blow would be nothing devastating or murderous, but it probably is. We do not know 100% because this is where the film ends. With how he goes for him before that, I cannot imagine though that he let him live. By the way, I also liked there how the forest creature basically sits on his throne this calmly when Patel's character shows up. He has all the time in the world really and now all his focus is on resting, maybe sleeping. And the "aye" as an answer to this crucial question instead of a "yes" I appreciated too.

So yeah, all in all a pretty good movie. I see critics liked these over two hours much more than general audiences apparently. I am not sure if I am surprised or not. I think this film has the potential for an even higher rating on rewatch and it feels like a very rewatchable movie that offers a great deal of quality even if you know the ending. Maybe especially if you know the ending. Perhaps then also some scenes will become bit clearer like what happened with the thieves in the forest (or their leader I should say) after they stole the axe. Or what was the meaning of the skeleton. We will see. But there is not the flightest doubt for my positive recommendation this time. It gets a thumbs-up for sure and I suggest you check this one out and as I am not always big on fantasy films, this mans something. Well done to Lowery and everybody else involved with the production and shooting of this one here. It also felt shorter to me which is always a good sign, especially when a movie crosses not only the 100-minute mark, but even the 120-minute mark. And pretty comfortably in fact. It's closer to two hours and fifteen minutes. A success from every perspective, no matter which one you look at: sound effects, direction, story, acting, visual effects, make-up, costumes, cinematography. I think it could score several Oscar nominations next year. And deservedly so. If I am not mistaken, it wasn't eligible yet for the 2021 Academy Awards.
13 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is it Christmas?
nogodnomasters7 August 2021
Dev Patel stars as Gawain who must fight the Green Knight (Ralph Ineson) in this retelling of the tale or poem. The Green Knight arrives at Christmas and issues a challenge to exchange blows. Gawain volunteers and goes first, loping off his head. The knight picks up his head and reminds Gawain he must be at the Green Castle (6 days ride by a very slow horse) next Christmas to get his head cut off.

Most of the story is his journey filled with magic and deceit.

Dev Patel was good as Oliver Twist. As Gawain it was an anachronism because he phoned it in as did the rest of the cast. I found the acting bland and a plot that wasn't hitting on all cylinders. I did like the creepy settings.

Guide: No swearing, sex, or nudity.
18 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not a game
kosmasp1 August 2021
Bear with me for a second. I am going to compare this to another movie. And the comparison will be ... not the strongest for most I reckon. The movie I am talking about is Unforgiven. Now obviously the main character couldn't be more different. Young vs old, experienced vs no experience at all.

Why I do like and see a connection you ask? Because both are a takedown, a dismantling of what we know, of what movies and other sources may have told us. Whereas it was about the cowboy myth in Unforgiven, which I have to rewatch asap, or the impression(s) we have of Knights in this.

Having said that, it doesn't mean the director here was thinking of the Clint Eastwood classic, but just had it as a general idea too. I also should note that I have not seen the "other versions of" this movie, as they are referred to here on imdb. So there are a few other movies that are based on the same story I reckon.

Now onto this, that has so many things working for it. Set design, costume design, cinematography and most of all: sound and music design. And this is not about it being loud (which it is at times), it is about how careful it is designed to draw you in ... to give you every little thump, every little crack, every small but also big sound that the enviroment is able to provide. Exceptional would not even begin to cover it. I usually am not so aware of that department, but if this does not at least get nominated for an Oscar ... well something is wrong I'd say.

The acting is amazing as well. But be wary, because the pacing will not be to everyone's liking. I went into this without any knowledge - except having seen the poster (knew Dev Patel was starring) and therefor knowing the title. Which is always helpful when ordering a ticket at your local cinema.

Apart from the pacing, the movie may have beautiful cinematography as mentioned, but it is not afraid of the dark (no pun intended). It really relishes in it at times. So much so, that you may even curse because you can't make out much. It almost feels like this was shot with natural light only. I imagine they used film lights too, but especially those dark passages will have you believe otherwise. I have not checked, might do when the movie comes out on disc.

So all in all this is far removed from any popcorn version of heroes and knights ... but if you can dig that and how the movie handles many things - you are in for a ride (again no pun intended). If you liked it, stick with the movie and the credits for an additional scene - which will not mean anything to you if you didn't like the movie in the first place.
73 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The delightfully strange tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Tweekums29 September 2021
This film; inspired the fourteenth century poem 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'. Shortly after the story begins a mysterious knight clad in green armour enters the king's court on Christmas day and challenges any knight to strike him... on condition that one year later that knight will find the knight in his green chapel and suffer an identical blow. Sir Gawain accepts the challenge and decapitates the knight; to his surprise the knight picks up his head and leaves. A year later Gawain heads out seeking the knight; the journey will be long and arduous; along the way he will meet various people; some friendly, others less so.

I rather enjoyed this film; the story is suitably mystical with a strange feel to much of it. The film impressively captures the quest as Gawain travels though bleak landscapes encountering various characters. The Irish locations used are stunning in their rugged beauty. The cast does a solid job; most obviously Dev Patel in the role of Sir Gawain. Alicia Vikander is also notable in the dual roles of Essel, a woman Gawain loves, and the lady he meets in a castle shortly before his arrival at the Green Chapel. There are some ambiguous moments, including the ending that may irritate some viewers but I enjoyed them... not every film has to have everything explained. Overall an impressive film that is well worth watching. I watched it on television but imagine it looked even better on the big screen.
32 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Based on a 14th century poem about Sir Gawain.
TxMike2 December 2021
Before I viewed this movie I was aware of the polarized reviews and ratings, some think it is great while others consider it a complete miss. So I was curious.

It is a lesser-known story on the fringes of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Sir Gawain (they pronounce it 'GAW-in') is the King's nephew, it is Christmas, and a mysterious Green Knight shows up, inviting a challenge. None of the Knights step up but Gawain does.

Then a year later, on Christmas, he must travel 'six days north' to meet up with the Green Knight again, to settle the score.

My wife and I viewed it at home on BluRay from our public library. At just over two hours it was a fantastical, mystical movie. It has very accomplished actors who play their roles well. The locations (shot in Ireland) and cinematography are excellent all the way through. The sound track is really great. That's all the good stuff.

The not-so-good is that the story is very obscure much of the time. Things happened (like, what was up with the blindfolded woman who never spoke?) that cannot easily be interpreted as part of the story. So what we end up with is a pretty good viewing experience that leaves you figuratively scratching your head and wondering, "What was that all about?"

I am glad I watched it, I doubt that I will ever want to watch it again. The "making of" extra on the disc contains lots of discussion for those wanting to dig deeper into it. I viewed some of it. The cast and filmmakers clearly had a good time making it.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't understand it
Gordon-1122 August 2021
I thought the story was slow and confusing. I didn't understand what happened in the film at all.
132 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great looking test of chivalric values.
CinemaSerf9 October 2021
There's something of the Terry Gilliam to this adaptation of this engaging Arthurian legend. During a New Year's Eve banquet at Camelot, an enormous green knight arrives on horseback and challenges one of the assembled knights to strike a single blow across his neck. The only one to rise to the bizarre challenge is "Sir Gawain" (Dev Patel) but there is a catch - in one year he must present himself in the knight's Green chapel many leagues away and allow a similar bow to be laid upon him. As that fateful date looms, we follow the surreal adventures of the young "Gawain" as he makes his way to fulfil his obligation. Patel is good in this film, as is Joel Edgerton as the mysterious Lord whom, along with his wife ""Essel" (Alicia Vikander) and the mysterious young scavenger (Barry Keoghan) add vividly to this demonstration of the temptations, and of the determination of our honourable young man to resist them - in their many different, sometimes mystical guises. This is a gorgeous looking film, the photography is glorious as is the Irish scenery and the pace of the film allows us to take our time to consider the moral of the tale. It's a touch long, the story itself doesn't quite support two hours plus, and the ending does deviate slightly from the original 14th Century tae - but it's a brave and entertaining effort that focusses more on the meaning of the story rather than offering us a Hollywood style adventure yarn. Big screen if you can - the whole film looks much better that way.
19 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Graphically beautiful, nonsensical
Calicodreamin5 August 2021
As most artisanal movies go, the visually were breathtaking, with this aura hanging over ever scene. However, the storyline plot and dialogue were downright nonsensical, what the hell were even half those scenes about? I have no idea. Made no sense, I got lost and bored ten minutes in.
122 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bold Experiment Is a Misfire
evanston_dad20 August 2021
I think I just don't like Dev Patel.

I haven't liked a single movie he's yet been in (loathed "Slumdog Millionaire," barely tolerated "Lion") but I wasn't sure whether it was him that was the problem or the movie around him.

Maybe it's a bit of both, because while I don't like him in "The Green Knight" either, I'm not sure the movie around him would have worked even with a different actor. It's a bold experiment from David Lowery, who's now done one movie I adored ("A Ghost Story") and one I hated ("A'int Them Bodies Saints"). I didn't hate this one, but it really tested my patience, and I was mostly done with it by the time it was over.

It's one of those episodic quest movies, and it's dully repetitive. Hero comes across some strange, magical character or situation, hero must solve some riddle, hero moves on to next strange, magical situation. It's all very one note and so dreamlike that it has no narrative momentum. Watching it, I was like, "Ok, now this arbitrary thing is just happening," to the point that late in the film, when our hero comes across a herd of giants marching toward the horizon and hitches a ride on one of them, I barely registered the wonder of it, because it seemed just as random as anything else happening.

I did like the sleight of hand at the end of the film, the glimpse of what might have been and then the punchline of the film's last line. But by that time I had checked out and the creative ending couldn't overcome my overall lackluster reception of everything that had come before.

Grade: C.
37 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
stylish medieval mind-bender
ferguson-629 July 2021
Greetings again from the darkness. If you are at all inclined to see this movie, then I would encourage you to do so ... and brace yourself for a surreal and mystical treat unlike any other medieval tale previously adapted for the big screen. Writer-director David Lowery re-teams with A24, the studio that also distributed his critically-acclaimed 2017 film, A GHOST STORY, to deliver a trip for your senses based on the tale of Sir Gawain - a tale that's been told in various and often contradictory ways over many years.

Dev Patel (LION, 2016) stars as Gawain, the nephew of an ailing King Arthur (Sean Harris, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT, 2018) and Guinevere (Kate Dickie, THE WITCH, 2015). When not imbibing with his friends, shaggy Gawain spends his time in the throes of intimacy with his paramour, Essel (Oscar winner Alicia Vikander sporting a pixie do). Young Gawain feels unworthy when he's amongst the knights and dreams of becoming an important man, so that he too may regale the King with his tales of adventure.

Gawain's mother (Sarita Choudhury), in an attempt to facilitate her son's dreams, uses her witchcraft to conjure up his first opportunity for greatness ... and the film's first visually stunning moment. We are mesmerized as The Green Knight (Ralph Ineson, THE WITCH, 2015) makes his entrance riding a great steed into the room where the Knights are gathered at their Round Table. The Green Knight, best described as a giant Groot (from GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY), puts forth a challenge that only Gawain is willing to take up. The scene is stunning and memorable, and allows Gawain one year of celebrity before the second part of the challenge must be faced.

It's at this point where Gawain sets off on his journey ... one that can be likened to Homer's "The Odyssey", in that it's filled with surprises and obstacles that defy logic and explanation. The surprises include: Barry Keoghan (DUNKIRK, 2017) as a garrulous, yet deceitful forest scavenger; the ghost of St Winifred (Erin Kellyman) requesting help locating her skull in the swamp; scantily-clad (CGI) bald-headed giants slowly roaming the forest; and a Lord (Joel Edgerton) and his mistress who offer shelter and advice that may or may not be helpful. Also on his journey to meet back up with The Green Knight, Gawain is accompanied by a red fox that holds his own surprises.

Director Lowery's film is a surreal, hypnotic medieval becoming-a-man tale that is both epic and intimate. There is much to unwrap here, including the witches who clearly establish women's control of men, and the idea that some may view themselves as destined for greatness, but blink when the moment of truth arrives. We do get a glimpse of Excalibur, and Lowery's frequent collaborator Daniel Hart's excellent score expertly blends with the infusion of metal music. The film requires the heightened use of your senses, and the fascinating work of cinematographer Andrew Droz Palermo keeps us zoned in on each character and every scene.

In theaters Friday, July 30, 2021.
129 out of 268 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epic and lush, one of the best movies of the year.
jdesando1 August 2021
"Oh, greatest of Kings, let one of your Knights try to land a blow against me. Indulge me in this game." The Green Knight (Ralph Ineson)

Over the years, The Green Knight may become the Citizen Kane of Arthurian epics on screen.

I am confident English majors like me will love this mighty tale. Based on a 14th century anonymous poem, Gawain and The Green Knight, it crystallizes our fascination with the Arthurian legend, the achievement of heroic status for young men, and the mystery of death. Those heavy-duty themes, however, don't have to put off the non-English majors, who will enjoy at the very least the exceptional cinematography, romantic journey, and dynamic Dev Patel, an inspired choice even if it isn't Adam Driver.

GATGK could serve as a fine example of "epic" if you consider the virtue of the hero, the trappings of court, the magical episodes, and the outlines of a culture in transition from The Middle Ages to the Renaissance. Anyhow, it's simply a powerful story starting with the entrance of The Green Knight, a towering tree-like warrior with a voice to make Morgan Freeman envious.

Once Gawain lops of his head in a challenging game, epic takes over as Gawain takes the year till they must meet again by experiencing an accelerated, episodic life journey bringing him face to face with a talking fox, a seductive Lady (Alicia Vikander), who looks like his fav prostitute, deceptive scavengers, enigmatic naked giants, and the Green Knight himself. Homer's Odysseus, much more experienced than Gawain, managed to get himself caught with similarly fantastic creatures and ladies but had far more fun than Gawain by virtue of his maturity and unimaginable ingenuity.

All of which shows GATGK to be a learning journey for Gawain, as if the poet wished to show the maturing of any man in his display of courage and honor. Writer/director David Lowery gives his talented actors and gorgeous set design full reign to create a first-rate legendary story and one of the best movies of the year.
30 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cinema Omnivore - The Green Knight (2021) 7.3/10
lasttimeisaw27 October 2021
"So, the catch is, as texturally, chromatically, visually captivating as a period production can be (Daniel Hart's exotic, enchanting incident music holds its own too), THE GREEN KNIGHT has meager vigor and satire to spare. Since its source doesn't possess a firm narrative structure, Lowery complies slavishly to the episodic and elliptical incidents and wallow in the flights of fancy of its production value instead, his paucity of competence in transfiguring the story to a more cohesive and empathetic fable is the film's feet of clay."

read my full review on my blog: Cinema Omnivore, thanks.
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exactly what audience is this aimed at?
MOscarbradley5 October 2021
You would have to go back to "Excalibur" to find an Arthurian movie that looked or sounded remotely like David Lowery's "The Green Knight". This is the Middle-Ages as gritty and downright dirty as they come, (think Richard Lester or "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"), while still aiming to deliver the fantastical, magical goods a genre picture like this requires.

The hero of our tale is Gawain, (Dev Patel, excellent given the material he has to work with), who, in the film's opening scene, becomes something of a hero after defeating the Green Knight who has challenged him to a Christmas duel in what appears to be the court of King Arthur but there's a catch; there's an addendum to the duel and Gawain's life isn't quite the same afterwards as he rides off to meet the Green Knight for round two the following Christmas.

Lowery's film is certainly no "Ivanhoe" but an adult fairytale that deliberately sets out to alienate a mass audience. This is an art-house movie that might please the critics but is unlikely to prove popular at the box-office. Indeed it's hard to figure out exactly what audience it's aimed at.

Visually, it's often remarkable, again mixing fantasy and realism to good effect. The cast are also well chosen but, Patel aside, are given very little to do though that most brilliant of young Irish actors, Barry Keoghan, has no trouble stealing the movie in his couple of scenes. The real problem lies both in the film's length and almost total lack of action. Gawain's adventures are singularly unadventurous and ultimately the film comes across as both boring and pretentious, unforgiveable sins in a film of this kind. Still I can see Razzie glory come the awards season.
55 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes Every Dollar Of Its $15 Million Budget Count
CinemaClown30 August 2021
Making every dollar of its $15 million budget count, the sumptuous set pieces, richly textured images, ethereal ambience & elaborate costumes that The Green Knight puts up on screen is spell-binding to say the least but its plot & characters don't have the same qualities brewing within. Visually captivating yet emotionally distant, this medieval fantasy is one hell of a chore to sit through.

Written, produced, directed & edited by David Lowery (A Ghost Story), the film addresses the themes of honour, courage, heroism, temptation & masculinity through its modern retelling of an Arthurian folktale, and is swirling with haunting, enchanting imagery that effortlessly overwhelm the senses. But its sleep-inducing narration, snail-paced approach & uninteresting protagonist also make it a tedious, wearisome adventure.

There is no denying that the film is breathtaking to look at but the drama that unfolds at its centre just doesn't have the same lustre or curiosity to it. Dev Patel remains committed to his character yet never for once is able to make us care. Alicia Vikander does well in her dual roles but it's Barry Keoghan who impresses most in his brief appearance. The technical aspects are virtually faultless and aptly mask the film's narrative shortcomings.

Overall, The Green Knight is an absolute feast for the eyes that promises an elegant, divine & spiritually rewarding experience to those who can patiently connect with it but it's also going to be an unbearably frustrating ride for many who aren't well-versed with the fantastical lore. A sensory overload packed with moments that linger for too long, the technical craftsmanship on display is top-notch & worthy of admiration but it's also where the film's wow factor ends for me.
11 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie (I'm sorry but most of bad comments are nonsense)
jack_o_hasanov_imdb12 September 2021
First of all, let me tell you, this movie is amazing.

I still haven't read the book and I didn't know the story very well.

The trailer of the movie intrigued me, I watched the movie today. I'm sad beacause I didn't see this movie in the cinema. In the country I live in, cinemas are still not active due to the pandemic. There are those who call the movie a very good movie, and those who say it is very bad. I've read both the bad reviews and the good reviews, not caring about my own opinion. I understood the comments of people who called the movie a good movie, but I never understood those who said it was a bad movie. Isn't the movie beautifully and correctly adapted to the book? Is that why they didn't like the movie? There's no such thing as a book adaptation will necessarily be the same, don't they know that? Each director adds his own interpretation to the film, there are always differences from the book. I'm sorry, but most of bad comments are nonsense. The movie is a great movie all round. The acting was amazing, Dev Patel did a great job. Cinematography, atmosphere, music, acting, cgi and etc. Were great. It was amazing. I like the movie very much. I wish I could watch it in the cinema. As I said, I've never read the book and I didn't know the story at all, although I really liked the movie. I am going to buy the book ;) But it should be noted that this movie is not for everyone. Most people can get bored of the movie, but that doesn't mean the movie deserves 1 point. What's this ? Ok, I also like watching Marvel movies and Fast & Furious movies, but are these the favorite movies of those who gave the movie 1 point? I don't know dude, I don't care, this movie is great.
21 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Check Story's History
westsideschl2 November 2021
Didn't get a lot of it. Best to check the story's history before watching for some background & insights. Suggest check wiki "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight". It cleared up a lot of my confusion.

Lots of unexplained parts such as why the challenge; why a "Groot" human tree; some of the challenges & encounters along the way (e.g. Giants; fox that talks); why human/tree is asleep; the ending dead or alive.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice movie...
Thanos_Alfie21 September 2021
"The Green Knight" is a Drama - Fantasy movie in which we watch the classic Arthurian legend "The Green Knight". Sir Gawain who is King Arthur's reckless nephew starts a quest in order to face the eponymous Green Knight but first he will witness some weird facts on his journey and he will evolve as a person and he will better define his character.

I have to admit that I did know the legend of "The Green Knight" before watching this movie. The plot was very interesting but the way that was presented was not the best mainly due to its long duration. The interpretation of Dev Patel who played as Gawain was very good but the direction did not help him reveal his true potential. Some other interpretations that have to be mentioned were Sarita Choudhury's who played as Mother, Sean Harris' who played as the King and Alicia Vikander's who played as Essel / The Lady. The direction which was made by David Lowery was not the best and I believe that he did not reach his potential and the movie's potential. To sum up, I have to say that "The Green Knight" is an average movie that failed to reach its high potential of becoming a great movie. Nevertheless, I recommend you to watch it because I believe that you will enjoy it but I suggest you to be patient with it.
7 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You haven't seen a medieval film like this before!
eddie_baggins31 October 2021
I'm fairly positive you've never seen a re-telling of an Arthurian medieval tale quite like David Lowery's The Green Knight, the writer/director's take on the story of Sir Gawain and his game with the mysterious Green Knight.

A reimagining that is likely to have purists of this classic tale squirming in their seats or captured by its unique sensibilities and visually arresting nature, Knight is another stunningly original film from David Lowery whose already given us a memorable take on Pete's Dragon and life and death in Ghost Story (and will soon be taking to the big time with his Peter Pan film) and while the director can't make everything here work, there's little doubt that we are witnessing the first acts in a Hollywood career that could become legendary.

Giving his star Dev Patel one of his best leading man roles alongside Slumdog Millionaire and Lion, Lowery follows Patel's Gawain on a journey to prove his worth as he intends to uphold his end of a bargain to visit the Green Knight on Christmas day, a year after lopping off his head in a very public way, but nothing about Lowery's adventure is what you'd call typical as Gawain meets money hungry looters, ghostly dames, giants, talking foxes and Joel Edgerton and Alicia Vikander's mysterious couple on his way to meeting his destiny.

Slowly paced and moodily scored by Daniel Hart, working alongside Andrew Droz Palermo's smoky and atmospheric cinematography, Knight is always engaging on an aesthetic level and is rounded out by a brave and unforgettable final act but there's large portions of middle section and ponderous/unexplained elements that are likely to turn some viewers right off and in some ways they are right too feel miffed by a film that never tries to make things easy or play things out in ways one may expect from such a premise.

It's a brave undertaking by Lowery, refining and remolding a tale such as Sir Gawain's into a fever dream like affair that defies any logical pigeonholing, unrushed in any way as Gawain slowly plods along on his road to the Green Chapel and while its cold delivery and sometimes hard too decipher desires ensure that this film is held back from greatness and more likely public adornment, this is another feature film that continues to build the hype around Lowery's filmmaking credentials.

Final Say -

Highly likely to be one of 2021's most unique higher profile films, The Green Knight doesn't always stick its landings but there's some incredible moments found within David Lowery's tale and another quality performance from Dev Patel.

3 1/2 foxes out of 5.
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Another Dazzler
Tweetienator3 August 2021
There should be a law that forbids Hollywood to maim European history, tales and legends. I am not talking about the main actor - The Green Knight has nothing to do (story-wise) with the great epics of medieval Europe but is one of those mass produced movies with some nice cinematography and effects but no real or good story. Like the last Arthur movie by Guy Ritchie (same procedure - take a well known character of literature or history but change everything else to your gusto), The Green Knight shows hard, that good story-writing is an craft and art that is not known and managed by many these days. Mediocrity hidden behind a veil of pseudo-intellectualism.
37 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SAMTHEBESTEST28 August 2021
The Green Knight (2021) : Brief Review -

An medieval Epic told with fancy visuals and intriguing storytelling but is too slow to hold your interest. The Green Knight is based on the 14th century peem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and someone who is interested in medieval tales can surely find it interesting. But let me warn you that this 130 minutes film does not offer any pacy flow and that definition defiles most of your interest. The film tells Gawain's story with high intensity and that gives it something to be praised by critics, however, a major chunk of family audience can just finish their one or two naps during the watch. When it comes to fantasy stories, people expect some fun, engaging narrative and adventurous entertainment along with eye-pleasing visuals and The Green Knight provides nothing expect for beautiful visuals. That suspense and dark toned storytelling seems streched for no reasons and when you understand what actually happened at the end, you just scratch your head like, 'Oh so this was it.. Why did they take so long for it then?'. Anyways, let's talk about the positives. The performance of Dev Patel is fantastic. One of the main reason why people should watch this film. Second, the entire team who handled technical aspects. From cinematography to background score to costumes to art design to visual effects, everyone from the crew should be hailed for their Brilliant efforts. Talking about the direction, David Lowery could have made it better, especially with the slow-paced narrative. That blame can be passed on the screenwriter and so Lowery can be termed as a fine worker with whatever job he has done. The supporting cast adds something more watchable and thanks to them otherwise this would have ended up as an average product. Overall, The Green Knight is watchable and Good but could have been much much better if tried a little harder.

RATING - 6/10*

By - #samthebestest.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Green Knight
marmar-6978020 August 2021
The Green Knight is one very slow and artsy film that will bore some people to death and some will hate every moment they spent in front of screen.

But what I need to tell you is how this film in tehnical parts is work of art.

Look of movie and its scenes were gorgeous looking ,use of colors was great while score and slow songs were great touch.
17 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
kevin_robbins4 August 2021
The Green Knight (2021) is a movie we saw in theatres the weekend it was released. The storyline follows the queen's nephew on a mission to prove his valor and partake in an adventure as a newly anointed knight. When a strange mythical tree-like creature arrives at the kingdom and offers a mission he jumps at the opportunity to prove himself without fully understanding the perils that go with it. Can the young knight overcome the mission and become a hero within the kingdom or will his first adventure be his last? This movie is directed by David Lowery (Pete's Dragon) and stars Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire), Anaïs Rizzo (Rain), Sarita Choudhury (Lady in the Water), Erin Kellyman (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier) and Sean Harris (Mission Impossible). The storyline for this picture had a lot of potential with a great build-up, settings, back drops and special effects. The acting was solid and the cast fit the characters well. Unfortunately, the storyline and characters never evolve. There's no real point to the story. You hope the main character learns from his mistakes and circumstances...he never does. You hope the storyline has a good point and conclusion, it doesn't. After 125 minutes you're left with a whole lot of "why did I watch this" feelings and faces within the audience. This was a huge disappointment and nowhere near better films in this genre like Pan's Labyrinth, The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. I'd skip this and score it a 4/10.
93 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Green Knight
JoBloTheMovieCritic30 July 2021
4/10 - the occasional pretty shot cannot save this uneventful, anticlimactic, and loose adaptation of a great Arthurian legend that isn't the masterclass in cinema that fellow viewers and critics claim it is.
127 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.