Bhikkhuni - Buddhism, Sri Lanka, Revolution (2018) Poster

Incredibly important historical reference for today's women
blewis-8828510 April 2019
Malgorzata Dobrowolska has offered an important gift to Buddhist women, specifically, but all women, in this work. Stories like this abound, but are so often not available to us today. To go all the way back to original stories from the time of the Buddha, and weave women back into the story gives the context for the struggle of Buddhist women, and to the corresponding loss to all of us through their absence in the male-dominated Buddhist hierarchy.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An important film for all Buddhists
timothyjp7 April 2019
This is a wonderful film which brings to light the plight of female buddhist renunciates and the formidable issues they, like women of every other major religion, face in trying to pursue their spirituality to the same degree as men. It is a sad account, but provides hope in the stories of those brave women who are going against the stream to benefit those who follow!
the unknown face of Buddhism
albrylinska17 February 2019
The whole project is very important, because very few people are aware of the issue of women ordination in the Theravada tradition. Thanks to the publicity and support, there will be a chance to stop this harmful situation that has been going on for hundreds of years.
The Bhikkhuni Revolution
BackToTheOcean15 February 2019
I've experienced a lot of emotions, while watching the movie. I am utterly touched by the determination of these nuns, their extraordinary courage and the fact that they act in solidarity and support each other. I think that this made them take this very important step. Thank you very much and I am glad that such processes take place.