Bhikkhuni - Buddhism, Sri Lanka, Revolution (2018) Poster

An important film for all Buddhists
timothyjp7 April 2019
This is a wonderful film which brings to light the plight of female buddhist renunciates and the formidable issues they, like women of every other major religion, face in trying to pursue their spirituality to the same degree as men. It is a sad account, but provides hope in the stories of those brave women who are going against the stream to benefit those who follow!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly important historical reference for today's women
blewis-8828510 April 2019
Malgorzata Dobrowolska has offered an important gift to Buddhist women, specifically, but all women, in this work. Stories like this abound, but are so often not available to us today. To go all the way back to original stories from the time of the Buddha, and weave women back into the story gives the context for the struggle of Buddhist women, and to the corresponding loss to all of us through their absence in the male-dominated Buddhist hierarchy.
the unknown face of Buddhism
albrylinska17 February 2019
The whole project is very important, because very few people are aware of the issue of women ordination in the Theravada tradition. Thanks to the publicity and support, there will be a chance to stop this harmful situation that has been going on for hundreds of years.
The Bhikkhuni Revolution
BackToTheOcean15 February 2019
I've experienced a lot of emotions, while watching the movie. I am utterly touched by the determination of these nuns, their extraordinary courage and the fact that they act in solidarity and support each other. I think that this made them take this very important step. Thank you very much and I am glad that such processes take place.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent combination of ethnographic film and historical background
slmccli22 July 2020
The problem of full (bhikkhuni) monastic ordination for Theravada Buddhist women is enormously complex. The lineage order died out in some places or perhaps was never brought to certain countries. Monastic disciplinary rules (vinaya) require the presence of 10 fully ordained bhikkhuni in order to ordain a new bhikkhuni. With none available, this avenue for spiritual practiced appeared closed to Theravada women. Due to the brave work of several strong women, full ordination has been reintroduced to the Theravada countries (Sri Lanka, Thailand, etc.) through reliance on the help of female Buddhist monastics from Mahayana countries (China, etc.). But some male monastics have not accepted the legitimacy of the renewed bhikkhuni ordinations. This film gives solid insight into the background, history, texts and also the contemporary struggle for full ordination among Theravada Buddhist women. My congratulations to Malgorzata Dobrowolska, who has made an extraordinary film that truly fills an educational gap. The production values of the film are also good. I recommend this to anyone who want to know more about Buddhist female monastics.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The film was well received...
AyyaVimala28 September 2019
I've now organized 3 screenings. The film was well received and discussion afterwards went well over time. Everybody was very interested. For me personally it was lovely to see Ayya Kusuma again. Thank you so much for making this documentary. Most people look at Asia and see all those nuns but do not know they don't have the same status and there is so much discrimination behind it. Ayya Vimala
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent film to learn about the struggles and history of Buddhist ordination for women
jkayenj-2957814 January 2020
I am so grateful for the hard work of Malgorzata Dobrawalska for her generosity in producing this important historical film. I encourage everyone to watch it and learn about these brave women, determined to become ordained to devote their lives to Buddha's teachings and being of service to all sentient beings. I was so inspired.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.