Impractical Jokers: The Movie (2020) Poster

An Honest Review From a Hardcore Fan
Doc_Blue26 February 2020
I saw this film opening night and it's now Tuesday. I finally feel like I fully understand my feelings towards it. I didn't especially like or dislike it. First let me say that I have been a big fan of the show since it started, have seen every episode multiple times, have been to one of their live shows, and follow all four of them individually. I don't just think they're funny, but think they are all four very genuine people who are uncommonly humbled and deserve the support they've been given.

Now the easy way to criticize this film is to complain about the story and the scripted segments and claim they're bad actors. That's what all the negative reviews are doing, but I'm not going to do that. I was honestly dreading the scripted scenes, but I ended up enjoying seeing the guys in that format and thought those segments were funnier than I expected. Is the story pointless? Very. Is too much of the runtime scripted? Yes. But I don't think those scenes are the ultimate problem.

Shockingly, my problem with the film are the unscripted segments. Now don't get me wrong, they are funny, and most of them do have a larger scale than the show. But unlike the show, they are so heavily edited and cut so quickly to the next, it feels like you're missing out on a lot. Imagine if in the Jackass movies the segments only showed the stunts and cut to the next one once the stunt was done, without showing any of the banter or reactions between the guys. It wouldn't be the same at all. Well that's the equivalent of what happens here.

Let me give some examples. Spoilers ahead. There's a scene where Sal is trapped in a hotel room with a tiger. But unlike if this happened on the show, you don't see the guys beforehand talk about how excited they are, and you don't see how Sal acted towards them after getting out of the room. He's just pushed into the room, you see a minute or two of him being scared, and then the segment ends and cuts to something completely different while he is still in the room with the tiger.

Another example is when Sal is forced (although the editing doesn't make it look like he was forced) to get another Jaden Smith tattoo. Remember how hilarious his reaction was after the first one was revealed? Well here, they tell him it's happening, then boom it cuts to him getting it, they briefly show it, and the scene ends. You see none of his reluctancy or really any real response before or after.

Another example is the final punishment with the plane. Now admittedly, this looked really cool and was really well directed. But, it just cuts from a scripted scene to him on the plane, and then the film ends during the footage of it flying around. Remember the episode of the show where Murr had to sky dive? He ran away from everyone full speed, threatened to quit the show, and was eventually talked into it while essentially in tears. Here, he's doing something more dangerous, yet you get none of that. No footage of him leading up to it or footage of him after the plane landed, and not even any reactions from the other guys.

I hate being critical of the film since I have so much love for these guys and are really happy for them. It made an amazing amount of money this weekend for a film only in 357 screens. But my favorite part of the show has always been the genuine, authentic banter between these guys. Them getting mad at each other, taking digs at one another, and just simply saying stuff off the top of their heads beyond giving orders and laughing. The editing just made the unscripted segments feel too cinematic. I understand that it's a movie, but it being shown in theatres isn't a reason to change what the challenges and punishments are like on the show. I've already given Jackass as an example as to how no changes were made and it still worked perfectly on the big screen. I understand that this editing issue I'm addressing is probably partly due to trying to cram everything into the runtime, but if that's the case, then there should have been less scripted scenes. Because there are a lot.
109 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely funny and a horrible story
dar04175 March 2020
Extremely funny and a horrible story. If you are a fan of the show you will enjoy this film and laugh a lot. If you are expecting some great acting from the jokers then don't watch this reality film that tries to piece together a plot to make their shenanigans make sense for 90 minutes. This film has a lot of flaws but FANS ONLY will enjoy.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TV show much better
kdog-431301 March 2020
Im a huge fan of the show but even the weaker episodes are better than the film. They should have stuck with the same format as the show but just done bigger pranks. A contrived plot about them taking a road trip to go see a Paula Abdul concert was not a good idea.
48 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the show instead
valleyjohn8 April 2020
You can't help but like the guys from Impractical Jokers . Their laughter is infectious and the show they do on TV is entertaining , even if you just watch it occasionally when nothing else is on as I do , so I'm not surprised they have tried to cash in on the popularity of the show but guys - You're a few years too late .

The film has the same kind of comedy stunts as the show but either side of the jokes there is this ridiculous thread with Paula Abdul and it's just not funny .

This would have been much better if they were just doing what they do best but somebody obviously got in their ear and told them they could be comedy actors - they were wrong .

Jackass got it right when they made their films by sticking with what they know best . It's a shame these didn't .

I'd say this is fine if you are a big fan of the show but if you haven't seen them I wouldn't bother . Watch the shows instead as they are better .
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Disappointed
sieber-663033 March 2020
I am a huge fan of these guys....they are absolutely hysterical. I quickly learned to never be drinking anything while watching their TV show because its gonna be shooting out of my mouth within seconds. And live they were even funnier if that's possible. But the film was just not funny except for a possible scene or two and those were the ones that most closely followed the format of their TV show. The whole premise of the film was just dumb and boring. It really hurts me to have to write this but in the end I have to be honest with myself.
54 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is Horrible!!
tyler2658-220-2349889 April 2020
Huge day 1 fan of these guys but wow, this is utter garbage. Whoever funded this to be made should not have a job. Show is very funny, this movie is not.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painfully unfunny skits mixed in with run of the mill stunts
jtindahouse4 April 2020
I remember when 'Jackass' made the transition from television to movies they got the first film all wrong, but then corrected it afterwards to make two brilliant sequels. Hopefully it is a similar pattern for 'Impractical Jokers' because this transition to film was not good.

The first problem is that it simply feels like a stretched out episode. They don't do anything that they wouldn't do on the show. The only real change is some acting and skits thrown in to drive a narrative. These skits are the worst part of the movie though. They are painfully unfunny, badly acted and drag on far too long.

Then there is the feeling of fakeness. I'm not aware of just how much of the show is real and how much is done with actors, but in the film there are some pretty clear scenes where it is fake. The Atlanta Hawks job interviews are a prime example of this. Why would four different people being conducting an interview and how would these four all get accepted to the interview stage for a highly coveted position like that. Add in the cameras being placed in the room and there is zero chance any of that was legitimate.

Unfortunately the end result was a pretty painful 90 minutes of viewing. Massive fans of the show might be able to see through all the mess and find some enjoyment, but to casual viewers like me I would suggest you stay far, far away from this one.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where are the laughs?
marknorville17 June 2020
I have watched a few youtube clips and I was expecting this movie to be funny. I fell asleep. I have been to funnier funerals.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your time
ozzyoguevara5 April 2020
The movie had some funny parts but nothin like there series on tv, I'm a big fan but not for this movie. The story line was dumb..
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
20 minutes worth of challenges in a 90-minute movie.
amirhoseinjam1 April 2020
First of all I like the TV-show.

They advertised it as challenges that were too big for the TV-show or needed more money to pull off. What I saw was a couple of funny challenges and some not even mediocre ones. The plot was not funny and made no sense. It was a lost opportunity, they could have used this opportunity to push the challenges but delivered a cheesy, bad story with lower than average challenges.
51 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's...meh
luke-425211 March 2020
This movie was pretty good and really funny at times, but with some flaws. The main problem is the plot. The plot was really cringe at times, and it didn't help with the bad acting, mainly from Q (I'll give it a pass though, since they aren't exactly actors in the first place.) Also, another problem is how they handled the challenges. When they come, they are hilarious, but as another person said, we don't even get to see them bantering before and after. It turned into an cheesy plot driven movie with some challenges mixed in, instead of lots of laughs. But, as I said, the challenges are hilarious. Overall, it could have been better with a better written plot, more challenges, and maybe a bit better acting. It was good otherwise.
29 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why, juSt why??
asifplay3 April 2020
Why you guys made this awful movie. Its total trash. Not even worth of one episodeof ImpracticalJokers
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mixed Bag
aknockoffproduction22 February 2020
Obviously the practical jokes were hilarious, some real gut belly laughs. However, all the plot driven stuff was tough to sit through. I'm not sure if it was badly written, badly acted or both. I would have MUCH preferred to have an extended version of the television show, or even a much shorter movie.
71 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love the show but was disappointed with the movie
cyonke22 February 2020
Impractical Jokers is absolutely one of my favorite shows. I love their stunts and the format of the show. I really wanted the movie to be like a longer version of the show. I was hoping for less scripted content. The guys try to act in the movie with a plot that's cheesy. The previews made it look like the concept would drive the challenges but it was more of a scripted fictional story with a few challenges mixed in. I can't wait to watch new episodes of the show. I wanted more out of the movie and I was expecting something a tad different.
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crap!
contactmaz2 April 2020
Not funny at all... Walked out after 30 minutes and demanded my money back. I waited in line because there were quite a few people before me.

This is a complete waste of time and basically, the silly pranks were childish kiddie pranks, you know, the ones where parents laugh at ridiculous and silly things (that are no way funny) just to boost confidence of their kids, nothing more.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
But WHY?
yurim993 April 2020
Impractical jokers is one of my top 3 favourite TV shows. The magic lies in the fact that most of it is off the cuff, genuine and natural - in terms of banter. As a scripted "movie" this is not that great. The guys are NOT actors - they're supposed to be 4 everyday buddies and that's the magic formula. I am now questioning whether all the "unscripted" parts from the show are actually unplanned to begin with.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The show on TV is funnier
keithhaugen25 February 2020
The show seems more spontaneous and therefore funnier than the movie was. Even the Tenderloins reactions seemed forced at some points in the movie, as if they recorded the reactions later, or multiple times, or the normally random reactions were scripted such that they weren't spontaneous. TruTV (and sometimes TBS) runs marathons of episodes every day, so I would recommend watching those instead.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
IJ fan, but one of the worst movies i've ever seen
cwolf108 March 2020
Please stick with the show. I'm so mad I actually spent money to see this. This should have been a TV movie -- not something that was box office.

The pranks should have been parallel with the plot. Not literally cutting away to see something we already see on TruTV every day. (And the challenges are nothing crazy anyways)

2/10. Im Sorry Joe :(
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
adunham-183624 April 2020
I absolutely love the Impractical Jokers show and honestly die laughing most of the time watching it. That being said, I'm pretty disappointed in the movie. It wasnt what I was expecting at all. It was filled with bad and forced acting and skits that were just so cringey. It didnt feel authentic and the whole Paula Abdul story line was just strange. There were a couple funny moments but I feel they lost sight of being themselves and focusing on what the authentic show actually is.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fan of Murr, Q, Joe & Sal? -Stay away (it could actually make you like them less)
bjoernhund8 April 2020
Based on the story & quality (lack) of humour I'd give this a rating of 3 stars. I'm giving it 4 as the first five minutes were promising. Apart from that, next to no laughter was had. The acting was poor at times (and not good in a 'Seinfeld' way) They should stick to their talents i.e. making the prank tv shows. I actually came out liking the guys less, but they'll hopefully redeem themselves when they get back to 'business as usual'.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm so confused...my brain hurts.
cterry-6562610 April 2020
My son and I are HUGE fans. We have totally different senses of humor, yet we both manage to laugh at the show. He begged me to buy this movie for $20. I saw the previews and told him this does not look funny. But, He begged and I folded. And We equally hated it. The worst part for him was that he paid for it with his own money. Should I give him half back? 🤔
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watchable cringe
patcheddivision18 August 2020
The movie is enjoyable if you love Impractical Jokers. Fans can see past the cringe because the guys are awesome, but to be honest I would have rather seen a extra long episode.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just as funny as the show - only better!
martinmcdonough21 February 2020
If you like the show - and even if you don't - this movie will NOT disappoint. The challenges are absolutely hysterical as well as the individual "challenges" that each joker has to pull off.

* SPOILER ALERT * The absolute best individual challenge - hands down - was Joe as Bat Boy all grown up, pretending to have been lost in a cave for 30 years.

There were moments of absolute hilarity where the entire audience couldn't stop laughing - when Joe gets up from an interview and starts shooting hoops / when Q avoids a drug bust when on the side of the road / Murr getting back into the dingy (with Joe's help) / and Sal in a room with a tiger. Unbelievable!

I also thought Casey Jost as Paula's flippant manager (season five sucked!) was a great drop in that only fans of the show will get. It's funny outright, but fans get the joke more so.

Good movie. Great time. Laughs all around.
30 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh...
tfminfl14 March 2020
411. Impractical Jokers: The Movie. I found it pretty unfunny. Based on a hidden camera show that's gone on for 8 seasons? Plot revolves around a stunt they did way back in 1992 involving sneaking into a Paula Abdul concert dressed as security guards, loser got left out. So now years later, Paula is back somehow and the guys want to do it again, so they head out on the road and compete in hidden cam challenges along the way. To me, it felt that after 8 seasons they are no longer trying. The challenges were a bore, and all the spectators seem to be in on the joke. Wait for it to be on network TV... I mean they couldn't even give us an R-rating? Filmbufftim on FB.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save your money
chrisgray-313506 March 2020
This movie was beyond stupid. Save your money. What an absolute waste of your time.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.