The Courier (2019) Poster

(2019)

A sloppy, choppy mess.
ramfat22 November 2019
Terrible editing, Horrible soundtrack, cardboard characters. The whole movie feels like we are following a film crew around while the actors rehearse their lines. Gary Oldman will apparently take any job he can get. He does wear an eye-patch though...good call by the wardrobe department; they really earned their keep.
75 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted Talents
johnhow-8258923 November 2019
What's Kurylenko and Oldman doing in such a poorly scripted and directed movie?

Watch out for:

1. Writers' limited vocabulary is confined to the F word and screaming fits

2. A bunch of henchmen strolling around in circles in a parking structure

3. The heroine, ex-Bond girl is the female version of John McClane.

4. You'll be eager to walk out of the cinema midway through the movie and certainly don't care if the good guys slice or die.

Don't waste your time and money on this movie.
52 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Bother..
mrscrispy24 November 2019
What a waste of time, energy & oxygen this film was. You want a Eastern Block Assassin Chick Flick - watch ANNA..
35 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ouch
mickb4423 November 2019
Painful to watch, cardboard acting, stupid story, cant believe Oldman and Kurylenko took part in this.
49 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kurylenko and Shah held the film together.
whitemanfromtowne23 November 2019
Kurylenko and Shah held the film together, from all the no talent European contract killers in the film. Their chemistry was spot on. But what's the deal with Oldman lately? He's becoming the next Nick Cage by taking all these shoddy roles. Mulroney's role came alive in the very last scene....OK, but again, shoddy role. Anyway, good action, but story very meh. Good for a one time watch.
31 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a B-movie gone broke
euhunter-488-47469223 November 2019
I have no idea how they persuaded Olga Kurylenko and Gary Oldman to star in such a waste of time. Interminable motorcycle shots with wrong engine sounds, like someone who's never heard a motorcycle in their life was responsible for the sound effects. Fighting scenes are from the 80's movies and there's a bunch of scenes with (really useless and misplaced) gore. Boring all the way to Mars, don't waste your life watching it. I gave it a two instead of a one because of Kurylenko and Oldman, although i can't imagine why they did it.
30 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely 4/10
mrblue-3033116 January 2020
Bad acting, bad dialogue, stupid action scenes. It's definitely 4 of 10. A lot of irrelevant drama.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining
LoremIpsum32125 November 2019
The low rating is completely off, in my opinion. Some trash productions get praise by fake reviews and sometimes also by real ones, but something like The Courier gets totally smashed? Yeah, suuure...

In terms of action, and hence entertaining, it delivers. The film uses a limited setting and a limited timeframe for its story, not many nonsense distractions, it's rather straight to the point. That's what I personally like in action thrillers.

Kurylenko did a good job, Oldman falls short, Shah is OK, Moseley pretty bad. Aim the hand-to-hand fighting parts for realism or for certain Hong Hong ingenuity? Nope. Do villains make stupid mistakes and sometimes also the heroine? Happens, quite typical for the genre, so who cares, it's fiction and not the reinvention of action cinema.

Of course, the story is simple, characters not complex and dialogues rather basic, but who watches a film like this for that? What do some people expect here, Shakespeare?

You want something simple that won't win Oscars, just to sit back and relax, then you could do a lot worse.

Normally I would give it a very solid 6, but now a 7 it is.

PS: One here compared it to Salt in terms of how it's done right... What on earth? Salt is way more unrealistic in every way, had a much, much higher budget and is still just the inferior flick, but that's my opinion. Anna was recommended instead by another one, which wasn't bad, but also not as entertaining and for sure a lot less believable, just like Salt. Those 2 films were more 'complex', pretentious and stupid, with more money put in and those idiotic spy-'twists' of which I'm sick of. Another one said the soundtrack was bad... Huh? Well, I found it to be atmospheric and fitting. I better don't want to know what that person considers a good OST then.
35 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all!
popsalicious23 November 2019
Not sure why some people rate this at below 5, they clearly weren't watching this particular movie! Tbh it started off cheesy, but gradually got better. It's well worth the watch, if it's action you're after!
45 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad.
bombersflyup14 January 2020
The Courier couldn't get much worse to be honest.

Poor characters, horrible dialogue and unbelievable action sequences. I didn't care about anything that was happening and there isn't one positive thing to say about it. There isn't even any lead-in, just this is the situation accompanied with amateur flashbacks. One of the worst characters to ever exist Nick keeps asking why she's doing this, but unfortunately not even the director knows Nick.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get off your high horses!
LogicIsEverything23 November 2019
I don't know why most of the reviews gave this movie a very low rating. Actually, I think this movie is pretty decent. The fighting scenes in the phobic garage are very suspenseful, the only unbelievable thing is that Olga is too thin and too slim to fight those gorillas and coming out winning every time. In the MMA world, we got different weight classes, I don't think Strawweight 115 lb (52.2 kg) Flyweight. 125 lb (56.7 kg)Bantamweight. 135 lb (61.2 kg) Featherweight. 145 lb (65.8 kg) fighters could win the battle over Lightweight 155 lb (70.3 kg) Super lightweight 165 lb (74.8 kg) Welterweight 170 lb (77.1 kg) Super welterweight 175 lb (79.4 kg) Middleweight 185 lb (83.9 kg) Super middleweight 195 lb (88.5 kg) Light heavyweight 205 lb (93.0 kg). And most of the bad guys in this movie, their weight classes are at least all over 170 lbs to 205 lbs. So Olga is definitely unable to neutralize these guys in close combats. But it's a movie, man, you just can't take too seriously about this weight class differences. Bruce Lee fought the giant and those gorillas in his movies and won, right?

This movie itself is quite watchable, although don't like the crying and whining Hindi or Paki guy and don't believe he'd get the chance to witness a murder by Mannings. But anyway, this movie is not bad as those reviewers said. Give it a chance, will you?
33 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ramfat's review is extremely generous.
frankl322 November 2019
This is the battle of the century between director, actors, script writer, producers and whoevere took part in this ...hum... movie (?). A battle to find out who was the worst. Let's forget about the director since obviously he was not there during the shooting. So as a result the actors are left to themselves to try and act as much as they can. Olga Kurylenco is not the best actress in the world, but compared to the rest of the casting she's a real Meryl Steep. Right from te beginning everything goes wrong, vigilante films need a sort of internal logic or credibility. Apparently they forgot this rule. Bronson's film (whetever you can think about them) had an urgency and the kind of credibility that made you get into the film. Denzel Washington's The Equalizer had it (at least in the first film). And if you want to reverse the paradigm and have a woman take the role of the vigilante, take example on Salt which had everything this kind of movie needs to succeed. Well, no need to go on. It's an absolute disaster.
31 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Parking Lot Trash
pkdyer651923 November 2019
Trailers are very deceptive, I thought this looked a decent thriller but it turned out to be a low budget dud. I'm a fan of Gary Oldman his last two films have been low budget, whats happened to his career ? Oscar winner to this dross. Olga Kurylenko carries this film to a certain degree as a female John McLean. Watch this after a few pints if you're lucky you will forget it next day.
22 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comic book quality at best
itaylor-5066523 November 2019
Just a poor quality action movie with thousands of rounds of bullets spewed and totally ridiculous hand to hand combat. Why Gary Oldman chose to be in this I cannot fathom. And he wasn't good anyway.
21 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
changed my mind - it's worse than I said
itaylor-5066523 November 2019
I reviewed when the movie was almost over. Now that it is, I am changing my rating to as low as I can.
23 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Writing bad but they had the talent.
copasetic-x22 November 2019
If you've ever seen Olga K in other films, she's gorgeous & has the ability to pull off action, suspense & wit. This was sadly not the best job done by the writers & directors...and it may have something to do with copying "The Transporter" material. Hot chic riding a sweet bike & kicking ass... I didn't watch this movie for Oldman. I dig Olga & I think she'll bounce back soon!
32 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What you see at the trailer is what you get in the movie.
spyroskonst27 November 2019
I do not get it, why the low ratings? Granted, its not a masterpiece, but for a low budget action movie it surpassed my expectations. Action is good, plenty of gore and blood, and .... well that's it. Hey, its an action movie alright, what else do you want?

Overall it falls somewhere between 6-9 depending your expectations, but its nowhere near as bad as other reviews. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
18 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable film
contactmaz23 November 2019
I read the reviews before watching this film but I love films with Olga Kurylenko in them and thought I'd watch it anyway.

OK - a bit OTT but a very enjoyable film, some nice graphical fights and bloody scenes and considering that most of it was shot in a car park, it was pretty entertaining. The guy, you'll know which one, was a bit of a wet drip wimp but I think the film was very watchable.

There were some points when the acting was a bit silly, but it doesn't detract from the action and the fun which is what we all want! So, if I were you, ignore the low ratings and watch the film and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I gave this an 8 BTW.
26 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hard to watch even in fast forward
leon-geyer27 November 2019
As ouch says: painful. Pity Oldmans, Kurylenkos and Shas talent wasted in this. The storyline is plain, the little dialogues absolutely dump, the editing and sound try to force suspense and fail spectacularly. But the worst is the direction. A good example how bad direction can ruin good acting.... Some actors managed to still make their characters acceptable, like the mentioned, but some are, I guess due the directing, insufferable, like Moseley. I am sure the director has better (in the sense of my taste) work, too - overstatement can have humor, but it is easy to mismanage. The only thing I liked in the film was that in the action scenes, the characters were often realistic - not talking of splatter blood, but the acting of pain and fear.
15 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just how did I stick though this?
armelvin735 January 2020
I felt like I was doing my own MST3K commentary during the whole film.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
contactyaji11 December 2019
Waste of time! The guy looks indian is really sucks!! No talent all!! He ruined all movie.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great cast and a fun ride!!
p_smeear9523 November 2019
I dunno why people have beef with this film, it's a fun action flick with great fight scenes and Gary Oldman! Plus I thought Olga Kurylenko was pretty badass and totally owned the part.
20 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Realy good movie
jamesv-4775524 November 2019
I dont understand why the low ratings , did they even watch the movie. I thought this movie was action packed from the beginning till ending. Famous actors made this movie awsome.
21 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kickass female lead!
msbebe-4292825 November 2019
Olga is a great actress and it's awesome to see her in a leading role where she is the boss! Of course she fights men much bigger than her but she is pretty brutal and really gives herself to the role physically so at no point did I feel like na she couldn't beat those dudes!

Hopefully this could become a franchise cos I'd love to see Olga come back and beat Gary Oldman's character and his evil daughter once and for all!
14 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just entertaining
lifelinespublishing22 November 2019
This movie was entertaining that I can say, with a lot of action scenes and fight scenes between the Courier and the Bad Guys., Gary Oldman is on point as well though Olga really has a hard time delivering emotions but lucky for her, The Courier did not have that much emotion on her because of what happened to her and her brother.

I would not totally recommend this but if you can watch it, watch it....just to pass the time.
20 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.