Stowaway (2021) Poster

(2021)

Well, it was a movie!
nrgins22 April 2021
Well, it had actors. And it had dialog. And there was a plot. So I guess it was a movie. Nothing overtly bad about this movie. But nothing really great either. Just a movie about a problem in space and a plot that crawls along, with no real twists (except predictable ones), no great dialog, no great acting. Just a movie about some stuff that happens. OK to watch if you want to pass the time. Just don't expect a lot.
561 out of 697 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The story... just... stopped.
zappatattoo22 April 2021
Excellent and plausible buildup to a suspenseful nothing. Plot holes galore didn't prepare us for the monumentally abrupt ending. Despite the lack of character development the movie was working well. But the lack of dialogue regarding their predicament only compounded the fact that the tale was lost from the get-go. Some lovely scenes, competent acting, elegant special effects. But at some point, the producers rang on the red phone to say that the party was over. Very disappointing.
416 out of 521 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netflix STOP!!!
tracy-9732029 April 2021
Stop raising the price of people's subscription to keep churning out this utter garbage all the time! The cast literally means NOTHING without a decent well written story & this was just a predictable snooze fest!
131 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In Space No One Can Hear You Not Trying
Mike_O_Dwyer28 April 2021
Somehow an engineer ends up as a unintentional stowaway on a spaceship heading to Mars. How he ends up behind panels screwed in place is anyone's guess (he certainly didn't screw himself in), and not an issue that i remember being answered. Whatever.

At the core of Stowaway is old 'trolley problem': would you sacrifice fewer people to save more? With an extra body on board and a mechanical failure that means oxygen can't be replenished, there are now four bodies using up resources rather than 3. This is something we've seen a gazillion times before in movies, usually as a minor bump in proceedings before carrying on to overcome something with even more at stake. Here, it's the whole premise, which is unfortunate for something that was dealt with in 5 minutes in The Good Place.

The main problem is that the noble idea of sacrifice for the greater good has no dramatic weight unless the characters involved are likeable. Toni Collette is well on the road to becoming a national treasure, it's almost impossible not to like her. Unfortunately, everyone else is expendable. Daniel Dae Kim is upset about his plants, which...meh. Shamier Anderson, the accidental stowaway, is injured and has a sister back on earth he's the guardian of which means meh. Anna Kendrick's soul is pure meh.

Between the plants and the oxygen and the go outside and fix the thingy bit, what we have is the middle bit of Danny Boyle's 'Sunshine' with a made for TV script and no budget for character development.

Meh.
70 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
did not resolve the main plot mystery
AziziOthmanMY29 April 2021
I hate it when the writer decides to jump off a cliff and gives the audience the middle finger. What's the point bruh?
67 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a schlock job of absurd setups
ilikeimdb1 May 2021
I'm not going to reveal plot points except to say the agency in charge of this mission must be the sloppiest shop in the quadrant when it comes to keeping track of important things and in training its crew. The pace is glacial. The resolution is glacial. The plot absurdities should be burried in a glacier. It's not that the acting, per se, is that horrible but the whole thing is annoying and doesn't say much, ultimately, about the human condition except for the aforementioned poor management practices and crew safety practices that are beyond all redemption. Avoid.
30 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's the Weight!
Obvious problem with plot: how could stowaway's weight (175#?) not be noticed at launch?

Crew are limited to few ounces of personal items because weight at lift off is critical to success.

Just plain STUPID.
47 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly movie
What-a-Punk25 April 2021
I just wonder when they gonna stop making movies about space missions with a crew full of unprofessional, psychologically unbalanced, stereotipical, uncapable, unresponsible and silly people. What a joke!

In real life we are actually sending our most trained, most disciplined and capable people to space, not some teenage students that can't cope with their childish psycological problems.

This is not a sci-fi movie, this is some bottom tier soap opera with space mission on the background.

This movie has a classic start, flat, primitive plot and an unsettling ending, that makes no sense, but since the whole plot is unrealistic and unreasonable, the ending actually goes in sync with it.

Wouldn't recommend it.
94 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had potential
wafflepenguin22 April 2021
The main problem with this movie is that it just feels really dull. There is one character in the movie that gets some form of characterisation and actually allows for you to care for them, however, the other 3 have almost no characterisation making it practically impossible to care for them as much as the movie makes you want to. The cinematography and acting is fine, but nothing great, however the direction feels a bit bland. You never really get any sense of tension or stakes and this is worsened by the dull characters. There are several moments I thought the movie could do something unique or clever, but instead it just went along with a plain, almost predictable plot. You can't say you've never seen a movie like this, with several others doing much better. I can't say I hated the movie but it just wasn't anything special.
123 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starts off ok but the legs fall off
chunkylefunga1 May 2021
Starts off ok and the concept is fine but the 2nd half just didn't really make any sense.

There's just no way this would play out like this in real life.

And of course you have to massively pretend like the scientific part of the movie is realistic, when the reality is is that it's laughable wrong.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of wasted potential.
fredericjfacebook29 April 2021
Great actors, nice set-up and decors, original enough idea, a slow but relatively realistic start... so what went wrong? For one, it never really picks up rhythm. But mostly, it's because it loses any form of realism. You can either get crazy sci-fi stuff and you make a Guardians of the Galaxy or Star Wars film and no one will care about the tech aspects, or you can claim to make it right and hire Nasa consultants and whatnot. But not both. It's far from being as stupid as Ad Astra for instance, but still big enough mistakes to make you lose interest. Nearly ALL the issues the crew has (I won't spoil) would have been avoided with some common sense and more "space realism". And if a movie relies on its characters to be far stupider or careless than they should be to move the plot, there's a problem. Too bad, it could really have been nice.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Condensation in space
Randy-Hudson1 May 2021
It's so annoying when your pressure gauge gets condensation on it in the vacuum of space.
33 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Implausible in an annoying way
SimonSaysSmallScreen29 April 2021
The initial premise, that a human being could enter a launch-prepping spacecraft and not leave, without anyone being alerted, is just too ridiculous to get over. I also suspect that the whole oxygen issue might not work that way, and I really wonder if that's the way a solar flare would affect a ship. These things might be forgivable if they weren't devices employed to do nothing more than retell a hackneyed storyline about group survival. The background of space travel was completely irrelevant to the issues being illustrated. Compare to a classic sci-fi like Blade Runner, where the android characters were essential to raising the central theme of "what constitutes a sentient being whose life is sacrosanct?" This was weak tea indeed, made cloying by the predictable casting. Anna Kendrick gets to be the good guy, Toni Colette the mother figure, etc. This really felt like a professionally made, completely lifeless piece of film.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BORINGGG
Samuel-1822 April 2021
Another crappy netflix movie. Who approves this crap?? So many talented film makers out there with amazing talent and ideas, yet crap like this gets made... such a waste of a talented cast. Boring and stupid story that goes no where. Visuals and soundtrack were the only positives.
240 out of 371 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all
brentgreen-2284524 April 2021
This is one of the rare times i agree more with the legit critics rather than the users.

Its not a 10. But certainly not a 5.5 either.

I dont know what people expect anymore. I wonder if its an ADHD thing.

The characters were good. Good story and writing too.

Sure its a slow burn but not a waste of time in my opinion.
165 out of 276 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not blockbuster, but nice calm sci-fi movie
chosetrans22 April 2021
What can I say, there are no big bangs, no supermans, no Gravity suspense. In my opinion this is the way normal astronauts would act. They got that spot on. There is a lot of problems from the point of science (imprecise and impossible), but well, who cares. It is a movie, not a documentary. I actually liked it. I see those negative reviews as a little too harsh. It is not a film for everyone. Not a film for adrenaline junkies. But if you like space and space adventures, then it is for you.
131 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An utter waste of your time
achyuth-amar2 May 2021
Its like watching a soap opera, only novelty is that it is set in space.
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
oof. another anti-SF
mrpicky22 April 2021
I understand that what makes movie watchable is not the same as making science correct. But there is so much good SF that is not so problematic from start to finish. It's so bad it would take 3 hours to go over what they got wrong. From Idiotic Premise to all kids of numbers and logical flaws. Poor characters , poor writing, poor visuals... why SF themed movies are made by ppl that clearly hate SF.
117 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly Disappointing!!!
jp_wowee22 April 2021
Big fan of Colette, Kim and Kendrick....but they (literally) can't save this movie...riddled with plot holes and "supposed science"....dumb.
66 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Massive waste of time
burgif22 April 2021
Almost 2 hours with nothing intersting, why would any one with a backbone waste viewers time like that, the charecters, the plot and the effort were waste of money and time.
117 out of 207 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well paced with likeable characters
jtindahouse22 April 2021
Space is such a great and fascinating setting for a movie. You get the beauty of it, but you also get an unmatched sense of claustrophobia and isolation. 'Alien' used the tagline "In space no one can hear you scream", but it really applies to any movie set in space. You have to mess up pretty badly to make a bad movie set in space - I'm looking at you 'Jason X'.

I knew nothing about 'Stowaway' going in and it was a very different plot to what I expected it to be. I expected it to be more of a thriller with characters turning on each other and secrets being revealed. Instead it was very different to that, falling far more into the drama genre. It's a reasonably simple story when you think about it, but it's effective enough for the movie to keep ticking over. The runtime is nearly two hours, however it never feels like it's dragging.

I think the main reason it never feels like it's dragging is because the characters are so likeable. There are only four members to the cast, but they are all excellently written and all performed very well by what is a strong ensemble cast. No one character ever dominates or takes over the film. They all work nicely together and the movie is stronger for it.

Another thing I really liked was that I felt like I had no solid grasp on how the movie was going to end. It felt like anything could happen spanning the full range of the spectrum. A happy ending wouldn't have surprised me and a devastating ending wouldn't have surprised me. You'll have to watch the film yourself to find out how they went about that though. I had a good time with 'Stowaway' and would say it is worth your time.
122 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
davwatto7728 April 2021
Really Awful

This movie is terrible, everything is wrong, storyline, castling, dialog, acting

I'm a sci fi fan but this is a f#$king joke, worse than Disney's stolen ideas factory.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pathetic
markmclews23 April 2021
Here's a great idea for a movie.

Let's send three morons on a mission to Mars with a stowaway that happens to be a moron!

The only reason to watch this film is to scream at the absolute absurdity of it!

A ludicrous abomination of a film!
73 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incomplete
mykjohnson22 April 2021
It's a good movie and it'll soon get you hooked. The acting and music are great and compliment each other. The one massive problem with the movie is the ending...I mean WTF? It finishes abruptly. Felt sad about the ending and furious about why it ended the way it did. Anyway I still liked it. So... I wholeheartedly recommend this movie.
64 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing and leading nowhere
biba_yu28 April 2021
I had big expectations of this movie. SF Thriller with great actors and amazing visuals, and short description sounded quite interesting. With that budget and great acting team, and strong visuals, how could it go wrong? Well, it did. Problem is it didn't go anywhere. Story, especially mystery thriller was non-existent, characters had no background and were bland and one-dimensional, so much wasted potential. I gave it 5 starts for visuals and acting but actors could do so much with bad story and bad script.

Problem is, there is no mystery, at least, not explained mystery, not even searching. They opened with interesting event then just closed with open ending which, at least to me, made no sense. And I felt like I watched nice trailer or commercial, almost 2 hours long. As for SF part, there are a lot problems in scientific inconsistencies and errors and so many things that made no sense or bear no logic. So much money invested in research that was so poorly planned and was not resistant to one single error. Some things just don't happen, especially not in high profile, super-expensive missions. This movie expects us to suspend our disbelief too much.

So in short, no real thriller or mystery, sf failed a lot on science part, too many illogical things, characters undefined and flat. And I was really waiting for this movie!
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.