A Christmas Switch (TV Movie 2018) Poster

(2018 TV Movie)

Just have fun with it
Jackbv1234 December 2018
Yes it's been done before. Is it as good as the others? Maybe not, but maybe yes. The acting is fine. The story is also fine. If you don't try to compare, but go with the flow, it is an enjoyable TV movie.

I liked that there was confusion of the sudden switch is profound, but not overdone. I liked that Julia is tough, even arrogant and selfish, but not sadistically mean. I liked that the teenage Laurel does love her mom. I loved little Cleary Herzlinger as Kelly. She actually acted her age. And I loved the very last segment by the tree.

Jackie Seiden has talent. We hear a bit of it, but I could have listened to more.
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Festive body swapping
TheLittleSongbird30 December 2018
Christmas has always been special to me and my favourite time of year. Main reasons being that it means lots of family time and reliving the nostalgia of singing and listening to carols, watching Christmas films and animations, playing festive games and opening presents. Will never tire of it and nothing will ever change that for the world.

Seing it as someone who wanted to see a different festive film other than the ones watched every year, 'A Christmas Switch' is never going to be among my favourites or one of the timeless festive films. It is not great, nor is it flawless. 'A Christmas Switch' is though a more than watchable film and avoids some, though not all, of the traps that other Christmas films have fallen into. It is a case of having appeal for some and others finding it a bit of a chore to sit through. For me despite its flaws, 'A Christmas Switch' is one of the better new Christmas films seen recently, but nowhere near close to ever.

As to be expected, the story is predictable and although the premise is a reasonably clever one there isn't an original idea in sight. There are a lot of easily telegraphed scenes here. Some draggy pacing here and there too.

Some of the dialogue veers on the cheesy side and like some festive films it is not without its schmaltzy and over-sentimental moments, some of which not easy to stomach.

However, 'A Christmas Switch' is a decent looking film, the locations are particularly striking. The music provides some affectionate nostalgia and is pleasant to listen to, while the direction avoids being too routine. Didn't find myself irritated by the characters at least and wasn't bored.

Despite the predictability, 'A Christmas Switch' has its heart in the right place, a difficult to dislike atmosphere and has a nice message that is easily relatable and wasn't laid on too thick. There is definitely a festive spirit and there is plenty of warmth and charm here, with enough parts to warm and melt the heart. Never does it feel too juvenile or mean-spirited and the sentimentality doesn't become too much. The acting actually comes over very well, with two likeable leads and children that never are too sugary sweet or bratty, instead charming and beyond their years.

Overall, likeable and above average if nothing to be blown away by. 6/10 Bethany Cox
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A winner of a movie. Fun and rewarding to watch.
Pete-Claus27 December 2019
As some other reviews have noted, the lead actresses do a great job in pulling off their roles. The plot is meaningful for the characters involved and a lot of fun to watch. Good comedic acting. Good plot surprises. Very satisfying at the end. The epitome of an excellent Christmas movie. Enjoy!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming, funny, upbeat!
jlfarr4956 November 2018
Christmas television movies are very much hit or miss propositions. A Christmas Switch is a surprising charmer that most will find pleasing. The Freaky Friday concept of changing bodies and being forced to handle fish out of water existences is certainly not new, but the two lead actresses here do a terrific job of conveying their experiences, and the supporting cast complements them wonderfully. The two daughters are totally charming, and the husbands perfectly project good-natured bemusement. This is probably not a film that viewers will long remember, but it should entertain them most satisfyingly while they are watching it. And what else do you want from a Christmas television movie!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's ok.
TMC83627 November 2020
The actresses look too similar and it took away from the already predictable and regurgitated plot. But what really took me by surprise was that we are suppose to believe that the actress singing actually sounds good. The singing was awful. It was strained and forced and not enjoyable at all. It actually made me wince when she tried to hit those high notes. I honestly couldn't believe it. But I give the actress credit for her confidence. She really thinks she can sing and acts like it. Overall, it's the mindless Christmas movie you turn on while doing other things.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Worthwhile, Fun Christmas Movie
tabuno7 December 2020
This by now typical seasonal Christmas switching of bodies plot (i.e. The Princess Switch 2018) is remade into a rather nicely written script that allows the audience to revisit the comedic juxtaposition of two people into each other's bodies and experience the common woman and elite woman lives. The acting and presentation are made into a finely, balanced storyline, especially having to smoothly craft the edgy moments of confusion as well as the snobbish scenes by the rich and elite. Thus, the feel-good expectations of this movie genre are acceptably adhered to. The pacing of the movie is good and the storyline doesn't seem redundant or stale. The transformation of BOTH women is also nicely handled. A worthwhile contribution to the Christmas movie scene.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well done.
rebekahrox15 November 2020
Good film of a very reliably entertaining trope: the body switch. The two women get each other's lives in order with their fresh prospectives. My only quibble is the actresses looked too much alike so it got too confusing and kept taking me out of the movie. There should have been more of a contrast. It would have added to the impact and the comedy.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good work and great vocals for Christmas songs!
latrese88810 December 2018
Jackie Seiden captured my ears with her strong & beautiful voice and that adorable little Cleary Herslinger stole my heart with such believable acting skills at such a young age. Sweet film.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweetest comedy ever
TheCheeseMistress26 February 2021
This is one of the sweetest, most heart warming movies I've ever watched: if I had to choose one movie to illustrate the expression "heart warming", this would be it. It accomplishes the main goals of a comedy, being funny and entertaining, with the two leads finding themselves in the body of the other one with a highly (and positively) emotional portrayal of family love.

Warning: heavy dose of cringe at the beginning but keep watching, it's only the first few minutes. It features some frustratingly overused tropes like the two women being in a complete panic state while their husbands just keep talking to them completely oblivious of the fact that there's clearly something wrong, or complications in dealing with being in someone else's body that could be easily solved by just calling the other person to ask her for context.

My only complaint is that only one of them has an actual character arch while the other one's purpose seems to be solely to help the former in her journey. But that's a realization I only arrived to when meditating about it afterwards, while I was watching it it kept me hooked up the whole time and left me dreaming awake about having a family as loving as theirs.

(Spoiler) I was really frustrated on the way the last few seconds completely ruin the meaning of all of the previous story by showing that the whole body switching experience is given to basically anyone instead of being reserved to those in a situation that could actually benefit from it. We don't know of any existencial problem the two girls could be facing, the little girl just expresses a wish that is a result of what was happening at the moment, just a random thing a 5 yo girl would say. Why does she need to live a traumatic experience that, far from helping her self improve, will most likely drive her to insanity?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dont waste your time...
billbillsmom26 December 2019
Another remake of Freaky Friday. Could not get interested in the "movie". Decided to watch my floor dry...it was more interesting......
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really?
Marynewcomb20131 December 2018
They really made this? How many movies have been done with this switching places already? Can they not come up with anything original, even for Christmas movies? This is beyond ridiculous!!! Don't waste your time on this garbage!!
0 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.