Lost at Christmas (2020) Poster

(I) (2020)

Avoid it if you can, there are better ones out there.
adamjohns-4257511 January 2022
Lost At Christmas (2020)-

It starts off Hallmark enough, but in a more gritty and British way and you start to think that it has potential, before you realise that you have no interest in the two lead characters whatsoever.

Neither are particularly likeable and I found myself watching it further to see who they might end up with, because surely it wasn't going to be each other. It's the only reason I made it to the end to be honest, I thought that something good was going to happen and that these two were just setting the scene.

The lead male was a grumpy and unfriendly git and I was surprised to find that he had played the same part in the short version of this film. What did he do that was so impressive to keep him in the role? Because it didn't show here.

As for the lead female, I myself would not have gone anywhere with her, what a nut job! But then I also wouldn't have invited him along either if I'd been her.

There are the usual continuity problems, it's freezing, but they aren't wearing their scarves or their coats done up and such like. On some occasions these things can be forgiven, because the rest a film is so good, but not this one.

Actually, the only saving grace of the entire film was the beautiful scenery of the Scottish Highlands.

Even the seasoned professional actors didn't come out of it well and Clare Grogan in particular was vile.

I've seen films like this before, the car journey home for Christmas is a staple. We all know that Hallmark do them with a bit more polish and sentiment, which doesn't always work, but I think I prefer most of them to this effort, that makes any relationship hard to buy. They also tend to get hot guys too, which at least makes up for some things.

If I had been the writer or director and I had gone with the ending that they chose, I think that I would have had her dying at the end or on her way to hospital for a final treatment, to explain her desperate need to celebrate properly and to get home no matter what. It might also explain why events turn out like they do, because otherwise it's all just rather lame.

Not a win for the Brits I'm afraid.

309.86/1000.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The film works well for about the first 60 minutes or so...
toddsgraham16 December 2020
This was a decent Christmas movie. The story here is about two strangers, who are going thru some difficult times in their love life, coming together to find a way home for Christmas. What both don't realize, at the time, is that this journey home is more than simply catching a ride together. It becomes more about helping each other move on (and potentially work thru) their relationship woes (and the importance of spending time with others, even if they are strangers, during Christmas). I thought the story worked well for about the first 60 minutes or so. The dialogue between the leads was pretty good. There were a couple of nice scenes at the bar (at the inn) with some good conversation/dialogue between Jen (played Natalie Clark) and Rob (played by Kenny Boyle), our two protagonists in this story. I even had a few laughs during some of the scenes with Sid (played by Sanjeev Kohli), Ernie (played by Sylvester McCoy) and Frank (played by Frazer Hines). However, the story, I thought, broke down on Christmas morning. I am referring to the scene where Jen asks everyone to celebrate Christmas, they all say bah humbug, and she runs off into the woods (as opposed to running/walking along the road, which seemed odd, by the way). Shortly thereafter, Rob had an epiphany and runs after her, and when they get back, everyone is suddenly on board for a nice Christmas dinner. There is a big hole in the script between the first 60 minutes and the last half hour. The writers don't set the viewer up for the last third of the film. Thus, the final third seemed forced (or rushed). It is a pity, really. The acting, overall, was strong, I thought. Both Clark and Boyle' performances were convincing, and, as I noted above, they had some nice dialogue together. The chemistry between the two started to build up a bit on Christmas Eve, but, again, the writers could have done a better job setting this up before they jumped into bed together. For the most part, the supporting cast was great. As I alluded to above, Kohli, McCoy and Hines's performances were quite good (funny, I thought). The Scottish landscape in the film was a plus. There were some beautiful shots on the rolling hills. All in all, it is an entertaining Christmas movie, pretty good for the first two-thirds of the film.
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not too bad, but not too good either
philfeeley10 December 2020
No hats, no gloves, walking in a snowstorm with coats open. Not very smart to say the least. It would have been more believable if they had at least fixed that.

Despite the interesting emotional discussions throughout, they threw it all away with a rotten ending.
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dire. Bad acting, bad script
JanJanuary14 January 2022
This is billed as the first Scots independent feature length film. Maybe they should have waited until they could get better actors on board. OK, it's low budget (I assume), but there are many low budget films ( e.g. Four Weddings with a fantastically talented unknown cast, great script and story). The two leads are just up to the mark. The supporting cast are well known faces to TV viewers.

As soon as this started I could see how it was going to end, so very predictable. We all like a love story but this was more Hallmark and Mills & Boon than a great British romcom.

I could not understand the high rating reviews here, but then we all like different things. Or maybe they watched a different film. I can't abide poor acting, predictable storylines and over the top sentimentality. Re-make it with better actors, a few changes to the script and we'd have a half decent film.

One reviewer has suggested a sequel. A sequel!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good except for the ending...
fandomfatale12 December 2020
I really enjoyed the majority of this movie. The ending implies that they probably don't end up together for good, which is not the kind of thing I am looking for in a Christmas romance. Maybe that's more realistic but it's not like the rest of the film was committed to realism so I'm not sure what the filmmakers were trying to accomplish there. I liked the other 99% of it enough to watch it again, but I'll certainly be trimming the end off of my next viewing experience. If you think you'll probably feel the same way about it that I do, then I would stop the movie after she sings her song and they kiss. Perfect ending.

The score killed the vibe a little. It could have used something a little more upbeat. This movie definitely has dramatic moments, it's as much a drama as a comedy, I would say, but some jollier music would have gone a long way in improving my enjoyment.

Otherwise, a cute film with a good romance and a nice change of pace from the Hallmark and Lifetime movies while still being generally the same type of movie.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought it had promise.....
jnh-123-74678610 December 2020
And then it went nowhere. Very disappointing. I read all the positive reviews giving 10/10 and began to wonder had I watched a different movie? One of the most annoying things for me was these two trekking through falling snow with coats undone, no hats (can't remember if they had gloves on) and seemingly not even breathing hard when they arrived at the inn. Having lived in a cold climate for many years this was just so nonsensical that it diverted me from a lot of the other stuff but perhaps that was a good thing. The music was so off for the season, it would want to make me slit my wrists if I had to sit through it in reality. I persevered to see how it ended hoping for at least one happy moment, but boy what a waste of time that was. As I said at the start, the premise had promise but it was wasted with poor script, poor acting and no chemistry whatsoever between the main couple. I have to add I am not a harsh critic, often giving 10/10 but sorry, no redeeming features here at all.
8 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A reminder of what Christmas is about
cbisbee-739959 January 2021
A thoroughly enjoyable watch. The principle characters are given a chance to develop and change before our eyes, as they deal with their heartbreak during the holiday. It is a slow build, yet moves along at a satisfying speed The joys and sadness of the Christmas season are shown, all leading to a concussion. Beautiful.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Turkey than cracker.
neildanderson7 December 2020
The story starts out as an interesting tale of people thrown together, but gradually the interest fizzles out as it turns to a saccharine and obvious ending. Only the last 30 seconds saves it from complete festive cliche.
7 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This could have been great..
mikemikeparker30 December 2021
There are some really good things in this film. The setting is wonderful, the concept is excellent and some of the acting is very, very good.

The central idea - two jilted/betrayed lovers thrown together in a winter storm - works well, and the pub they find themselves in is a perfect melting pot for the disparate characters who are enclosed in this almost magical bubble. However, the minor characters are never developed and feel rushed, and the transformation at the end comes over as forced and implausible. Although the lead actress is excellent, the lead male is dire - at times his face is in search of an expression and his tone is totally off... he really damages the film.

The ending, for me, could also have been subtle and powerful but is spoiled by being rushed and rather sudden.

Hollywood should acquire the script and turn it into a magical, almost ethereal experience. A lost opportunity.

(Oh, and the music is brilliant).
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Scottish antidote to cheesy Xmas movies.
gwynmoses24 December 2021
This is a beautifully written film with an excellent cast, especially the supporting actors in the Clachaig Inn who were perfectly suited to their parts. The two main characters are not particularly likeable but the actors play the annoying and depressed parts very well with the bickering and arguments beautifully displayed for people thrown together with nothing in common.

Where the film really excelled were the scenes set in the Clachaig Inn where the 4 veteran actors, Sanjiv Kholi, Frazier Hines, Clare Grogan and Sylvester McCoy were entirely believable with world weary cynicism about their situation in life, all complete with their own set of problems. The other patrons were very much in the background but the back stories were just enough to make you want to know more about them.

Overall the film deals with loss and disappointment over the break up of relationships and how people deal with them, but set in beautiful Scottish scenery and the outstanding Clachaig Inn which is usually much more exciting that portrayed here. The short and simple story is told with pathos and humour and comes to an appropriate resolution in the final few frames. When I first saw the film, in the cinema, I though the film was too long by about 3 seconds as those 3 seconds removed much of the "what happened next" from the story, but rewatching on TV made me realise that the ending was perfectly in tune with the story. Maybe happy endings should be reserved for Hallmark Xmas movies and not this sort of Scottish film.

One minor bugbear which would only be noticed by someone who knows the area is that the geography is mixed up, journeys going the wrong direction for the story and roads changing from single track to 2 way in consecutive shots, plus the station being nowhere near where the action was set.

One other mark of this being a very good film is that you want to know more about the characters and how they got to where they are now and how they will change going forwards. Few films make you wonder about that.

In summary, a well thought out out and written film with great characters and actors and an antidote to the thousands of crappy Hallmark type films which infest our TV screens at Xmas time.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly enjoyed it
patcal25 December 2021
If the dreadful Christmas Movie dross on the Great! Christmas Channels (used to be Sony) is your thing then this is not for you.

This is a beautifully crafted story enhanced by a sublime and emotional music score. It makes you wish you could be there and be with all of the various characters played excellently by the small team of actors.

The Scottish landscape is wonderfully captured.

When I read nonsense in reviews about there being no visible breaths or coats not buttoned etc. It makes me wonder do some people watch movies just to prove they are good "spotters".

I just sat back, watched the story unfold and thoroughly enjoyed it.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
edwardduggan-312588 December 2020
Brilliant film with a bit of everything funny,moving absolutely loved it
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They definitely lost Christmas
Lizareview21 December 2021
This really isn't a Christmas romance or comedy. There's snow and some gift wrapping around but otherwise void of sentiment.

It feels like this is a sarcastic jibe at what Christmas films are rather than lodging itself in the genre. But it isn't a satire. The production values are low, which is fine. Some bad lighting etc can be forgiven for finishing a movie on smaller budgets but in 2021 where people film on iPhones, your expectations are higher.

This did not deserve to be on BBC. It feels like a paid for Prime film. I thought I'd like the cast at the start but they played one note the whole way through. One trick ponies. Maybe that's through direction or inexperience.

This film also claims to have been the first Scottish Christmas film which is not true at all. Self proclamation aside, I want to watch a Christmas film to feel happy, not depressive. Or indeed watch an alternative Christmas film to Regale the humbug or satire. This neither sits anywhere than directly in humbug, without the wink.

Really shows what comes out of Scottish films shown on BBC. This can't be how good it can be. Otherwise the industry is already dead.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do they deserve each other?
gradgurl200829 November 2021
I wanted to love this movie. A movie set in the Highlands of Scotland? I'm in! But... ugh. When Jen stole her ex boyfriend's car, I realized she might not be all there. Then when she fake cried... I thought that Rob should just run. I don't mind the ending, as both of these people are coming off long-term relationships and Jen is way too weird. But it's all so trite and boring. A B&B in Scotland that doesn't stock up for Christmas dinner?! I'm rooting for the teenage romance more than the main characters'? Skip it and watch Leap Year instead.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a feelgood Christmas movie
mjmmjmone7 December 2020
Ok Christmas film for the first 90 odd minutes but the ending made the whole thing a waste of time for me
10 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Christmas spirit. Plenty of narcissism
ReelUk22 December 2021
The slogan says "feel good". But it's not. Great to see some famous faces pop up but unfortunately the female lead has nothing to bounce off the male. He's got no charisma, charm or natural screen demeanour . It's very single note. But she does some very strange things eg. Stealing the car.

Maybe used to conventional Christmas movies. But this doesn't feel fresh or interesting. Just sort of grim and trying. Even some dry humour I usually enjoy doesn't elevate them. Either mock the genre or play with it. This straddles neither.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feel good
gdcmitchell5 December 2020
Such a lovely feel good movie, just what we needed after the year we've all had. Thank you 😊
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wee Scottish gem punching way above it weight
craigcolvinritchie7 December 2020
Looking for a Scottish feel good movie, with great scenery, and some laughs thrown n for good measure? Well Lost at Christmas delivers in spades, or should that be snow shovels. It is a simple story, but a good one at that. it's low budget does not show, and gives some of the Hollywood flicks a run for their money. Well worth a watch, Kenny and Natalie are great as the strangers brought together on Christmas Eve, with great support from the rest of the staff, special mention to Sanjeev Kholi with some great one liners. This won't be the last time you see a film by Ryan Hendrick!
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyed this feel good film
lorramun7 December 2020
Really enjoyed this feel good film. Just what we need at this time of year
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic film
gillianemdocherty7 December 2020
Amazing film, get watching and cheer yourself right up!
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was a really enjoyable little film with a big heart.
wstewartw7 December 2020
This was a really enjoyable little film with a big heart. Rob and Jen are two contrasting personalities who find themselves lost at Christmas in more ways than one. Both betrayed and down on their luck, they manage to find solace in each other and together manage to resurrect the Christmas spirit not only within themselves but also in those they meet along the way.

For many people, including me, Christmas can be anything but a time to look forward to for all sorts of reasons ranging from family difficulties, and personal tragedies to some who have no family at all. This film speaks to such abandoned souls with the message that you can form your own family of kindred spirits wherever or whoever you are.

Lost at Christmas is a soul searching emotional journey with beautiful cinematography, a rich atmospheric score and a range of warm and wonderful characters.

Highly recommended.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining and brilliant cast
nicolmac7 December 2020
A very enjoyable Christmas feel good movie. There are lots of laugh out loud moments. Fabulous cast and stunning scenery of Scotland. It made me feel excited about Christmas.
The charming scots
katielouisemaria9 December 2020
A gem of a film with a charming quality in amongst the Scottish landscape . I enjoyed the ambience of the cast and was unexpectedly moved. Just the tonic I needed Thankyou
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Christmas magic
alex_campbell-4593910 December 2020
I have just watched this film on Blu Ray and really enjoyed it. The film has a wonderfully intimate atmosphere and is very engaging. The storyline is unexpected and original. The characters are heart-warming and fun to watch. I will be watching it lots at Christmas in the years to come.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very enjoyable Christmas movie
dnjackson-3346612 December 2020
Well worth a watch with the family over Christmas. The scenery was stunning with many laughs through the movie.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.