Cherry (2021) Poster

(2021)

Powerfull
andred-a-simoes1 April 2021
Powerfull movie with powerfull emotions.

Must see for yourself.

Tom Holland with a great performance.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tom performance is an oscar potential!
tiberiugeorge4 May 2021
No words needed, just enjoy this masterpiece!

......

.....

.....

......
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark and Depressing, Nevertheless Powerful Performance by Holland
gracerosadi15 March 2021
This film took effort to watch, some scenes are tough and upsetting but it just prove how great and phenomenal Tom Holland as an actor in this film, he really did push his limits which makes it an oscar-worthy performance.

The film has great cinematography and unique storyline, but the subjects matter are very dark and gut-wrenching.

7/10 for overall movie, 10/10 for Holland's performance alone.
74 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wow... just wow
apocalypticluvs27 March 2021
I surely didn't expect this amazing performance. Such a cool story about a soldier, recovering from all the trauma and dealing with PTSD. Tom and Ciara smashed it, i didn't even know that they could do such a good job, i'm happy that they proved how diverse they can be.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tom Holland absolutely smashed it
kabeyamarcelina15 March 2021
Tom Holland's acting was phenomenal, 11/10. Showcased his true talent - magnificent. The Russo Brothers over did it with how they set things up though; trying to be too smart in my opinion.
103 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty damn good
sammybeno15 March 2021
I don't understand the low ratings. All this film does is show how much range Tom Holland and the Russo brothers have, that their not confined to the Marvel movies. Just watch and form your own opinion. Its good.
83 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to the critics!
twilightmominohio15 March 2021
I think people are forgetting that this movie is based a a semi-autobiographical novel written by Nico Walker. I first heard about this movie when my boyfriend had to remove some wires that were in the way for a scene they were filming back in early December of 2019. As Tom Holland fans, we were eagerly anticipating the release of this film. It's gritty, hard to watch at times, and highly emotional. The acting by Tom Holland and the rest of the cast was very well done. I've read reviews with titles saying if you're a veteran you're going to be angry. But again, this is based on a real life account of an Iraq veteran dealing with his PTSD after coming home to Cleveland. As a Clevelander, it was also interesting trying to recognize where some scenes were shot. The Russo brothers love their home town and we are grated they filmed it here, not elsewhere. Bottom line, don't listen to the critics. Superb acting by Holland and a wonderful adaptation of the book.
128 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark, emotional and illuminating
mlivziey31 March 2021
Cherry is a film that takes on dark, depressing issues (addiction and PTSD). The film shines a light on these issues and the star of Tom Holland helped bring them into the spotlight. At times it had imperfections, but overall it was a memorable film with excellent performances.

Some additional editing could have fixed the flaws. Too much time was spent on several unimportant scenes and not enough on other significant scenes that would have further driven the narrative. Individually both lead actors were great, but I didn't feel that their chemistry was a perfect fit.

All in all, this will surely elevate Tom Holland and showcased his versatility. I felt that the film and story were familiar but done in a way that was fresh. When it ended, I was torn if it was a great film or a slight let down. However, I find myself thinking about it days after watching. This tipped the scales for me and shows how impactful it can be. It's a triumph 8/10.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
6.3 ??!!
cyer3213 March 2021
This is a dark, haunting, and beautiful film. Not sure what movie some of these reviewers were watching, but Cherry is incredible. Cannot recommend it enough. The subtle details that you'll miss if you're not paying attention make it all the more interesting. Will definitely watch this again after I have a chance to fully process it. Excellent work Russo Brothers, Tom and Ciara.
114 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Wow....
chris_i9991 May 2021
Hard to understand how this film has an average rating, the story is brilliant, really well directed and Tom Holland shines! Best film I've seen in a while.
Just a great movie
th5188331830 April 2021
At first I was thinking about stopping the movie. I hate when actors are talking to the camera. But I didn't stop it. And I am glad I didn't. This should have made the Oscars.
Phenomenal Movie
Booster-Gold27 March 2021
Cinematography was great.

Story was great.

Acting was great.

Music was great.

The whole movie was very well put together. Probably the best thing I've seen this year. If you're on the fence you should get off it and watch this.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing performance of Tom and Ciara!
pienjbakker12 March 2021
The movie Cherry gives you a amazing view about what soldiers go trought after the come back home. Tom's acting is so amazingly done in this role. And the connection he and Ciara had in the movie was so pure and real. Deff recomment watching it.
140 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't understand the low ratings.
sailorman-1261712 March 2021
Very briefly: Cherry is a brilliant movie and a fitting translation of the story of a real person. The pacing feels chaotic at times, compared to traditional movies, because real stories aren't paced like screenplays. The cinematography is nothing short of stunning, and most of the events are ugly to give a hint of the ugliness that is being translated from real life to a book and to a movie. Tom Holland once again flexes his range as an actor, and the Russo Brothers continue to elevate cinema. Ciara Bravo didn't have too much to do in the movie, but I personally believe she aced her tonally contradicting scenes.
131 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch it for yourself
hockeylass-134-9295373 March 2021
There's a lot of critics out there. And a lot of them seem very keen to slate this as much as possible, beyond what seems objectively reasonable.

What I would say is this - ignore them all (good and bad) and make your own mind up. And remember this is very close to a true story, written by a man who fell down the darkest of holes having been failed by the systems and freedoms he swore to protect.

Cherry is just an ordinary guy. There's nothing remarkable about him. And the disordered start of this film (which I struggled with to be honest) reflects the erratic nature of his drifter existence.

As the film progresses the style falls into order and then back into disorder, reflecting the rollercoaster ride of Cherry's horrific wartime experience and descent into drug addiction as he struggles to erase what he saw. The Russo Brothers together with DOP Newton Thomas Sigel, use a range of clever tricks to put you in Cherry's boots. From colour tones to aspect ratios, it takes you from soft warm love to cold hard conditioning in an instant.

I personally really enjoyed these choices, and look forward to watching it again to see what other details I might have missed on first viewing. I understand some people might feel that there's too much movie going on, but it was more than fine for me (all personal taste I guess!).

The acting from Tom Holland is exemplary and, at times, frightening. I cannot think what it must have been like to have to go to those places to portray the pain and fear he did and he should be applauded for taking such a leap with this role - he will always carry the weight of Spider-Man on his shoulders but he should be at least respected for wanting to branch out into challenging roles such as this. Ciara Bravo was excellent too, although I think I would have liked a bit more character arc from her (not her fault of course). I thought the supporting cast did well too in their roles - none of them particularly likeable (Jeff Wahlberg's Jimenez a rare exception) as they support and enable Cherry's demise.

Overall, this is a movie which really stayed with me, it still does. It's eye-opening, it's desperately sad, and it's incredibly powerful.
108 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leaves you feeling something!!!
stone22115 March 2021
Excellent film. Acting and music score superb. Anyone with a hint of good taste will enjoy this film. The haters on this flick are probably tweens.
62 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing in so many ways
traumabizz1 May 2021
This movie was so much better than I expected. Tom Holland and Ciara Bravo were outstanding.
Amazing performance .
krishorvat-0664230 March 2021
Tom smashed it , absolutely brilliant. This movie deserve higher ratings ... I was amazed by his acting skill he nailed it . Well done .
Nice surprise
Dark1Fenix29 March 2021
Great anti-war film directed by the Russo brothers! The story of a young boy who joins the army because of a "broken heart". Very good pace, acting and very drinkable, maybe a little after the middle it becomes a little slower but soon rises again....

9/10.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And the award goes to...
tana-corbett081328 March 2021
This was absolutely amazing. I was skeptical at first because I mean when I think Tom Holland, I think the PG Peter Parker in all of his Spider-Man glory but this was perfect. I mean I was shook when he said the f bomb in the first few minutes of the movie but it was just the start! If anyone deserves an award for their portrayal of a character it is Tom Holland as Cherry. He did such a good job portraying a war veteran who is suffering from so much and then the choices that are made to try & cope with it. Big kudos to him and I will be truly disappointed if he doesn't get recognition for the spectacular job he did.
Emotional roller coaster
kbaird-0535827 March 2021
Roller coaster of emotion, Tom Holland is brilliant. Story telling at its finest, keeping you hooked from the beginning.

Kyleen - South Africa.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No masterpiece but still a solid entry
iamlegend-0743127 March 2021
Cherry (2021)

7/10 🍒

"The Russo Brothers return to the director's helm for a solid entry that may be shaky here and there however is worth the watch for Holland and Bravo alone."

Cherry is a film that isn't for everyone, and that says a lot already. Sure, it's a book adaptation which already sounds like a red flag because many of them aren't as good as the source material, however Cherry can be called an exception to an extent. The film definitely boasts a beautiful style in camera work and craft because of how smart these techniques are used. The Russos definitely make their mark and do it ever so boldly. The real issue with Cherry however is the way it explains itself. The pacing and tonality tends to be misguided by an almost TOO formulaic approach, however doesn't make for a bad viewing experience either thanks to Holland's gut-wrenching performance as Nico Walker. Holland loses himself in the role so masterfully, I nearly forgot that this was the same actor that helmed the Spider-Man throne. I'd never felt more sorrow for a character since John Coffey in The Green Mile. Ciara Bravo also steals the spotlight constantly with her transitional performance that quite honestly surprised me. Onscreen together, both Holland and Bravo, is nothing short of perfect chemistry. Even if the writing gets cheesy sometimes, it's a relieving cheesy rather than a revolting type. This film did away with itself and it shows.

Verdict: Cherry is a solid attempt at something different for the Russos and a great excuse to give Holland and Bravo a good taste of grueling acting. The film may not have been what we wanted it to be, but I feel that it still has something good, if not special, to offer.
jens-5810526 March 2021
Wow. What a great piece of cinematic art. Tom Holland completely catches me off guard with this one. Because I was expecting the typical slightly above average, predictable type of movie. Now, after watching it it feels like I've discovered something new in movies in Tom Holland. Last time saw him he was Spiderman. Now he is a complex character I can relate to and sympathize with. This movie needs to be watched at a time you have said time to really invest in it. Enjoy this Shawshank Redemption meets Forest Gump type of movie. I loved it.
Great Movie, Great acting for Holland
jose_ricardo26 March 2021
Very good movie! Forget about the bad reviews! Just Watch it. Holland was perfect on this movie! Great photograph too!
Great movie
lostsoulsneverdie25 March 2021
Loved the story. Only drawback was the really fake looking Iraq scenes.