Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) Poster

Not what I expected...
Drawmort14 November 2022
I am conflicted with this film and with Marvel.

Let's review the good first. There is a heartfelt tribute to T'Challa and obviously to the actor who played him. The emotions shown feel real and manage to move. The performances are good in this regard. Angela Bassett stands out above the rest.

I'm not one to oppose the replacement of Atlantis by Talokan, as this gives another excellent excuse to show some content that derives from universal culture in gigantic products like the MCU movies. Namor is an excellent addition to the ranks of Marvel superheroes immediately showing how powerful he is and what he is capable of.

The action sequences are entertaining, as Marvel has already accustomed us.

The wardrobe is also something to value in this film. There is a great effort and meaning behind each of the suits, which successfully try to mix the different cultures with the new times full of technology. This makes an excellent contribution to character design.

Now what I didn't like about the movie. The entire story feels too light and if you think about it, pretty ridiculous. Namor's motivations don't match his plans or his actions throughout the film. Marvel Studios again falls flat when writing and developing their villains. It all feels like a mere excuse for the characters to clash. There is nothing really of weight in the story, except for the death of T'Challa, which is also not well used, abusing the drama whenever they can.

I liked Riri Williams' introduction, but not Ironheart's introduction. The story devoured her as a secondary character and was relegated to the background when in fact the beginning of the film gives her much more importance.

The pacing of the movie is inconsistent. It's pretty monotonous until the action scenes, which are good, but short. Sometimes, there is too much information happening too fast without giving the opportunity to fully appreciate each sequence and each character involved.

Finally, the effects are good, as expected, but something is wrong with the composition of the cities. Both Wakanda and Talokan have a contrast and color problem that prevents them from being fully appreciated.

The final battle scenario also seems pretty bad to me.

Overall, the movie is entertaining if you just want to have fun with fights and visuals, but I think it's about time Marvel got serious about their movies and realized that adults are also consuming superhero movies.
208 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very bold but fairly underwhelming, slow, and bloated Marvel project.
frankiesilver-9183627 November 2022
I never thought the original Black Panther was anywhere near being the best solo Marvel movie, but I did enjoy it and T'Challa's character throughout his appearances. With that being said, when Chadwick Boseman sadly passed, I accepted that this franchise was doomed. I always believed that recasting T'Challa was the only way to go. It would've been incredibly hard to find a good replacement, but the character is very important to the Marvel universe. It is also simply too soon to pass the mantle of Black Panther on. When they confirmed he wouldn't be recast, I felt like it was a big mistake narratively.

Now does Wakanda Forever handle the death of T'Challa/Boseman well? Absolutely! Being able to respect the legacy of the actor while also metatextually connecting the event to an in-universe tragedy is definitely one of the movie's standout features. Regardless, I feel like the movie is a little too reliant on the audience being impacted by Boseman's passing.

Don't get me wrong, the fully silent opening gave me chills. They incorporated the death beautifully and honorably, but the result is what feels like two movies in one. You can clearly tell the original script was written before Chadwick's death. I really respect Coogler's decision to not recast, but I still wish T'Challa and Namor got to cross paths.

My issues spring not from the T'Challa-related parts of the film, but from how the rest feels lacking without his presence. I don't think Shuri works as the protagonist. She was a fun (yet underdeveloped) carefree tech nerd in the original movie and here she takes a 180 to being reserved and bitter. The changes to her character were perhaps necessary for this story, but it doesn't make them good changes for her. Some don't match her at all and her vengeful arc is just T'Challa's from Civil War with a less fitting character. She never struck me as someone who would willingly become the Black Panther and there isn't much impact when she does anyway.

Ramonda is a pleasant surprise in this movie. Her monologues are insane. Angela Bassett deserves all the credit she's been receiving. However, Okoye is the only character I felt really connected to and she is stupidly sidelined a third into the movie. She would've enhanced the film a lot if given more screen time. So would've M'Baku, who is completely wasted. Between them and W'Kabi, who is fully absent, we have three characters connected to T'Challa and it isn't explored how his death affected any of them personally. This is one of many missed opportunities that came with trying to focus the movie on both Talokan and T'Challa's death.

Some of the action scenes are awesome and some drag. As to be expected from Danai Gurira, Okoye's fight scenes are the tensest we've gotten from Marvel all year.

Namor himself is a pretty good villain. In a similar fashion to Killmonger, his actor sells the character for me despite his viewpoints being completely ridiculous. They somehow managed to adapt his crazy mutant powers to live-action in a cool way. Changing his kingdom from Atlantis to Talokan ended up being a really cool idea, even though the place and its people needed more elaboration. There are many more cool concepts they could've explored with the Aztec roots. Hopefully they are saving more about the civilization, the people's powers, and their technology for a Namor project.

Ironheart is an even more underdeveloped part of the movie, undoubtedly to save content for her upcoming show. Her character is just as dumb and not relatable as I expected her to be and her suit looks awful. A Black Panther movie didn't feel like the right place to introduce an Iron Man ripoff.

Also, Ross's entire storyline felt weird and unneeded. It's only included to add awkward colonizer jokes and set up future MCU films. If he and Ironheart were removed, there would definitely be enough room to have included more from the aforementioned underutilized characters.

By the latter half of this movie, the pacing really starts to drag. I've complained recently about Marvel movies like Multiverse of Madness and Love and Thunder being way too short, but this film had no reason to be 2 hours and 40 minutes and feel like it's over 3 hours. There's so much downtime between the action that when the final battle starts, the movie has already overstayed its welcome.

The things I'm disappointed they didn't include or flesh out have no excuse to not be here or be better implemented considering how aggressively long and slow the film is.

So this definitely isn't a bad movie per se, but it's not fantastic either. It's very bold but very flawed with iffy decisions on what to prioritize and how to structure this challenging project. I was pretty disappointed when I first saw it, but there's some great stuff sprinkled throughout. The lack of T'Challa, awkward pacing, and wasted opportunities easily made it worse than the first movie to me.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too long, too muddled
lord_orsum26 November 2022
Let's start with the good points - this film doesn't try to be all comedy and spectacle, like the recent Dr Strange 2 and Thor 4. In fact, there is almost zero comedy at all.

It does try to bring some drama, and to make some points about the responsibility of nations to use their wealth, resources and technology for global benefit, rather than national advancement.

Namor is different to the comics, but once I got past the initial differences, I think the portrayal was a good one. He isn't a one-dimensional villain, his people are descended from the Mayans, and he has proper motivation.

But the film has a lot of problems. Firstly, the pacing is all over the place - it should be at least half an hour shorter. The comic-book science is paper thin (Shuri extracts DNA from plant fibres on a bracelet that has been underwater for 400 years, but cannot do the same from the recently dead plant in her lab). Shuri takes a spear right through her stomach and out of her back, but gets over it after a short breather. The Wakandan ship is breached from undersea, tilts over by 45 degrees and then the next scene it is upright and apparently seaworthy again. The fact that Namor's people take mortal wounds but get up again is never explained.

And then there is still my biggest problem with Wakanda. Both Black Panther films promote the idea that Wakanda is a Utopian society, both technology and socially. Yet they still choose their leader by who is best at beating up other challengers.

I think there was a missed opportunity here. Namor would be more likely to say "join us, or if not, don't get in our way", as he plans to attack the rest of the surface world. This would present Wakanda with a far more interesting moral dilemma - standby by and watch untold millions die, or utilise their resources and technology to aid the nations who have been trying to rob them.
31 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wakanda: It felt like forever!
Kevin-4218 November 2022
Sorry, but this was boring. Mind-numbing boring. Sleep-inducing boring. "Are we there,yet?"-boring.

Dang, I liked Mr. Bozeman and they pay some propper respect to his character in the first couple of minutes and it really hits you in the feels but after that we are let known that Wakanda have mastered the technology of exposition dialogue. If that is their main achievement then I say we forget vibranium and let them slink back behind their stealth shield and call it a day.

They could have done so much with this movie and show Africa as a vibrant place full of ideas and hope in the face of many problems. Maybe explore Ubuntu philosophy, or visual art. Unfortunately, Wakandan culture is reduced to a song&dance number for the day-trip tourists in cinema seats.

This was a missed opportunity and almost a missed movie if not for a good double espresso I had before it.
95 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underwhelming, But OK
slightlymad2217 November 2022
I just got out of Black Panther

I found it pretty underwhelming. It's a better put together movie than both Thor: Love & Thunder and Doctor Strange & The Multiverse of Madness, and there is no sense it was butchered in the editing room, like both of those movies. That said I probably had more fun with those two.

The Chadwick Bosman stuff was touching, but I expected more. Disappointed not to see at least, Bucky there. When I heard there was a cameo, I expected it to be someone at the funeral. I DID NOT see that cameo coming. I thought the Marvel logo was a nice touch.

Letitia Wright and Angela Bassett are both good, but I'm not sure where this Oscar nomination talk is coming from. Then again, I didn't think Black Panther should have got a nomination for Best Picture, so she could get one. Winston Duke was a bit wasted as Umkaku, disappointed by what he did at the end

There is no reason for it to be as long as it is. I was bored a few times. I was especially bored during the story between Martin Freeman and Julia Drefuss, it was really weak and unnecessary. Was it just there to put some white people in it? I didn't like the scientist girl, she irritated me and had awful dialogue. Some of the CGI/Green screen work was not the best, too.

I can safely say, with the exception of Spider-Man: No Way Home, nothing from Phase 4 will be rewatched, never mind find its way into my collection.

Overall I found it OK.
89 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it a lot
Jeremy_Urquhart11 November 2022
Phase 4's MCU comes to a close with Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. It's been a truly inconsistent run of films. There was the good (Shang-Chi, Spider-Man, some of Dr. Strange 2), the eh (other parts of Dr. Strange 2, Black Widow and Eternals), and the ugly (Thor 4, which is easily the worst MCU movie so far). If this movie had been bad, it might have been enough to make me bail on keeping up with the MCU's movies, and truth be told, I've already bailed on the Disney+ series', because WandaVision, Falcon & Winter Soldier, and Loki really didn't do it for me.

If you're expecting Black Panther 2 to wrap up Phase 4, you might be disappointed. But then again, there hasn't been a consistent narrative to the last two years of Marvel releases, so there's really nothing to conclude, overall. Importantly, it's just a very good movie, and that's enough to ensure it ends Phase 4 on a high. It's not a total slam-dunk, but there's a great deal about Black Panther 2 that's extremely effective, and enough great stuff that I feel the overall movie is a strong one.

I think the pacing is its greatest strength. I really didn't feel the 2 hour 40 minute runtime. The opening half-hour doesn't flow the best, but there was a need to adjust after Chadwick Boseman's passing meant T'Challa died, too. Once the movie establishes this and sets up its main plot, it's pretty smooth-sailing, and unlike many Marvel movies, it saves its most emotional moments and best action scenes for its excellent final hour.

It's a very emotional movie, and the way it pays respect to Boseman and T'Challa is essentially perfect. With good action, a solid story, a very good new antagonist (Namor and the whole underworld were great), and fantastic music (maybe the best Marvel score so far?), this was a very good MCU movie, and gives me a little more hope for the franchise going forward.
286 out of 641 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overall, weak
Chanandler-Bong19 November 2022
This film had some great stuff in it, there's no doubt of that, but I felt it was overall weak. I can't imagine how hard it was for everyone in the film to come back without a lead, and most importantly, their friend. Chadwick's passing is unbelievably sad but it did leave a gap for Marcel to fill, and they could have done it so well. But they didn't.

Firstly, the good. All the emotional scenes were well-scripted and well-acted, and I have to commend Angela Bassett and Letita Wright for their fantastic acting. I never cry in the cinema but this film really had me going because it felt from the heart in some scenes, and I am sure it was.

I also enjoyed the costumes - wow were they beautiful. The only one I didn't like was the Midnight Angels (or whatever they were called). They didn't feel like they fit. Some of the fighting was great as per.

The rest of the film felt slow, boring almost. I've just come from the cinema and I am struggling to remember much of it.

The story was gaping with holes and so much was skipped over with little explanation. The beginning when T'Challa dies felt cold and rushed. That should have been the pivotal moment for the story, but it was brushed over. However, maybe it was too hard for the cast and crew to linger on.

The Talokan/Atlantis story was odd to me and felt so disconnected from Wakanda. I didn't enjoy that storyline. They could have made it so much better.

Anyway, it was enjoyable and I'll maybe watch it again. But I won't rush to do that.
82 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fantastic, Emotional, and Mature Marvel Film
kjproulx11 November 2022
Black Panther was a very welcome addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe back in 2018 and I was really looking forward to seeing the progression of that character. Obviously, with the tragic passing of Chadwick Boseman, that just wasn't possible anymore. I figured they would recast the character and continue forward, but they made the tough decision to write the death of the character into the film as well. For that reason, I was worried and relieved all at the same time. It seemed like an impossible task to make a sequel to such a beloved film, but not have the core character there the entire time. Well, after seeing Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, I can confidently say that they handled it as well as they possibly could have. I thought this film was emotional and fantastic, and here's why.

Picking up six years after the events of Black Panther (in accordance to the events of Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame), this film focuses heavily on the loss of T'Challa and how the country can move forward without their leader. With the emergence of Namor and the underwater city of Talokan threatening all of Wakanda, the remaining characters must band together and protect their country. Shuri (Letitia Wright) is easily the one with the most screentime here and the burden of carrying this franchise is on her shoulders the whole time. This must have been a daunting task, but she pulled it off. Her character, along with her mother, portrayed incredibly well once again by Angela Basset, are the beating hearts of this film. The emotional aspect of this film got me on a few occasions.

Some people may complain about the fact that the death of Chadwick Boseman is basically the jumping-off point for this story to even happen, but I found that it was very tastefully done. With the addition of other characters that will have a future in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, this film was filled to the brim with story. Where I might have my only complaint though, is the fact that this feels like a big budget prelude to what will come next. It's a fantastically made film by director Ryan Coogler and I loved watching every minute of this one, but I have to admit that it did feel like more of a long eulogy for the passing of Boseman.

With all of that said though, I'm only complaining about that because I'm reviewing it and criticizing it. That complaint isn't something I will regularly say about this film. They take the time to make a great film on top of that, so it really worked for me overall. I can't wait to see where certain storylines continue later and the fact that I'm excited about that, all while this film is satisfying on its own, is nothing short of great. I wept, I was entertained, and I was engaged in the story at hand, so what else could I really have asked for from this film? Also, the final scene that takes place during the credits is easily one of my favourite post-credit scenes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was very well handled. Now playing in theatres, I absolutely recommend checking out Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
356 out of 800 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Yield
dannylee-7808211 November 2022
First of all, RIP to Chadwick Boseman. They really did do a good tribute to him in this movie through various devices. Performances when reflecting his death felt real and convincing, probably because there was little "acting" involved. Losing a franchise star is really a tough blow. While I felt Boseman's absence, I don't think not all of the movie's downfalls are linked to his absence.

Biggest head-scratching moments were for me was poor writing mainly from some of the tactical choices. The whole conflict stems from the existence of Riri (soon to be Ironheart), who built a Vibranium detector for a school project. Apparently, she's the only one in the world who can do that. Aside from that ridiculous premise, I thought Ironheart's introduction to the MCU was not bad (I still think the suit is ugly). She was likable enough and I think she has potential. I do worry about the overlap between her and Shuri because while they do have good chemistry, they are such similar characters. Anyways, this detector triggers a cascade of events where Shuri and Riri are taken to Talokan. First of all, getting rid of Riri will not do anything because the technology is no longer in her hands alone. Also, Wakandans have very little reason to protect her other than the fact she's a great scientist. I was also baffled that key hostages like Shuri and Riri could escape Taloka with the help of one person DURING an ongoing negotiation. A rookie foreign affairs mistake. It was not even a hostage situation. It was closer to an aggressive invitation. This was literally the cause of the all-out war and I thought it was just poorly written how they started that conflict. And at that point, the entire war felt so meaningless and stakeless because it wasn't clear why they were fighting. It still isn't clear why Talokans wanted to go to war with Wakanda. So whatever came after that became difficult to love. Ramonda's death was also quite preventable in my opinion. The queen with no protection and left to drown. Like why does Riri matter so much to Ramonda that she sacrificed herself to save her? It almost felt like an artificial plot device to pump up Ironheart's value as a a character. And Shuri does not blame Riri once or show any animosity toward her even though she was an indirect cause of her mother's death? Seemed a little strange unless she didn't know what happened.

There were positive things too. I thought Taloka's story was interesting and was well introduced. Loved Namor as a character and his action scenes were powerful enough. The performances were solid across the board, especially Ramonda and Namor shined. I thought some of the battle sequences were interesting despite being imperfect (really bad CG moments here and there). Overall, it was rather inconsistent with really cool spear fighting scenes and just generic scenes. The whales really did surprise me. I thought the locations were well chosen. I really like their portrayal of Wakanda and Taloka in general so that's a plus. I enjoyed how they incorporated the idea of the oppressed (the Mayans) versus oppressor like they did in Black Panther 1. But again, this should only unite Taloka and Wakanda together rather than fight against each other.

I'd also like to comment on Shuri. She has now become the official franchise star with the death of Ramonda and T'challa. My overall impression that while she has the potential to be the franchise but it's a tough transition. She's been known as the geek scientist sister but now she's the black panther and the sole protector of Wakanda. That's a big jump for both the audience and the character. That type of transition, fueled mostly by grief and revenge, should usually take multiple movies or a series to hash out but that was not an option for the production team. So while I still am not used to the transition, I think they were handled as well as they could be. Her characterization was complex and meaningful enough. A far better experience than the most recent MCU movie.

In the end, phase 4 has been a let-down for most fans with a notable exception. I was disappointed that this movie was not able to be part of that exception.
109 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Empty
cthirlby11 November 2022
Obviously this movie is a huge thing. Chadwick is a legend and will always be seen as the black panther. This movie was just so filler and boring with a pace that's way too slow for a 2 hour+ film. It's not a bad film it's just a long slog of a movie. Nothing big happens in the movie at all apart from the mantle passing of black panther, it's very empty. Compared to the first black panther it's a completely different tone and pace to it which wouldn't be a bad thing if the story was engaging. Shuri becoming the new black panther I expected due to comic knowledge and I'm happy with that and I thought her story was decent along with showing her dark side especially in her fight with Namor. All the performances were great and I liked Riri Williams as an addition to the MCU, whilst some of her scenes were stale and the suit looked like trash I'll stay open minded for her show. Namor was okay, he was cool to watch. Namor and his people let the story down as it was built up to be this huge war but ultimately led to nothing but boring and ugly fight scenes between everyone and this was in the whole movie too! Namor was interesting just a poorly written character mostly which was unfortunate. The post credit scenes were underwhelming and they did a fast and furious by naming a child after the character/person that died which was fine I guess but unnecessary. The comedy was great though even though it lacked which is what made it rewarding when it happened. The scenes honouring Chadwick were fantastic though leaving me to tear up with how connected I was along with the world to this person and character. Those scenes were special. Also the film ended the same as it started with empty threats of war between the two groups leaving no hype for the future and the overwhelming feeling of being unrewarding. Overall Black Panther Wakanda Forever pays a beautiful and emotional tribute to Chadwick but lacks heavily in a well written or engaging story.
65 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Namor was great - should have been his movie
RussHog12 November 2022
Wakanda Forever tells the story of how Wakanda got a new Black Panther in a war with the Atlantis (or whoever they were). The film's best parts are the underwater beings who attack Wakanda. Prince Namor is really cool and the actor who plays him has great screen presence. His underwater people are a lot of fun to see in action.

The film's big problem is that the lead is insufferable and annoying. She doesn't have a lot of screen charisma, makes a much better sidekick than a main protagonist, and overall it's not that interesting that she ever becomes Black Panther. You never really root for her I this film.

Also, this film is mostly boring acting and writing repeating information we already know and everyone being depressed all the time. It's hard to get into a movie that is two hours and forty minutes of this.

Probably, it should have just been called Namor and have Wakanda be the side characters.
59 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pays an appropriately sombre tribute to its recently deceased lead actor by showing how things can still move forward in the wake of his absence
MrDHWong10 November 2022
"Black Panther: Wakanda Forever" is the sequel to 2018's "Black Panther" and the 30th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Directed and co-written by Ryan Coogler ("Fruitvale Station", "Creed"), it pays an appropriately sombre tribute to its recently deceased lead actor by showing how things can still move forward in the wake of his absence.

One year after the untimely death of King T'Challa (Chadwick Boseman), the African kingdom of Wakanda is still in mourning as they struggle without their beloved monarch to lead them. T'Challa's younger sister, Princess Shuri (Letitia Wright), feels the immense pressure to take over as ruler but believes she cannot handle such a huge responsibility all by herself. Not long after, the inhabitants of the underwater civilisation of Talokan, led by King Namor (Tenoch Huerta), emerge to wage a war against the surface world. With limited time remaining, the citizens of Wakanda must quickly overcome their grief to put a stop to the Talokan threat before everything is destroyed.

After the unfortunate passing of "Black Panther" actor Chadwick Boseman in 2020 due to cancer, the MCU was left with a complicated dilemma - should the sequel recast the lead role with a different actor or should they re-write an entirely new story without him? Either of these options would have been a risky move since audiences have become so familiar with Boseman's portrayal of King T'Challa (a.k.a the Black Panther) that it would be near impossible to accept anyone else in the role. It was soon revealed that out of respect for both Boseman and the fans that the latter option was chosen, with the character's in-world demise intended to mirror the actor's real-life death. Now with the release of "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever", we see how all of this has managed to play out, in a follow-up that makes good use of its supporting cast while also remaining respectful to the foundations that have already been laid down.

Anybody who saw the 2018 film will remember it has already been established that Wakanda is a place full of interesting characters that have helped this kingdom thrive for so long in seclusion. Because of this, it is believable that its citizens can continue to function without a King due to their personal code of discipline. However, due to their overwhelming admiration for King T'Challa, the Wakandans still feel a sense of emptiness with him no longer being around to lead them and as a result, they are living directionless lives. This is all conveyed to us primarily through the characters that knew T'Challa best and the audience gains a solid understanding of the grief they are each experiencing.

I think the film does a decent job of exploring the concept of losing someone you deeply care about, whether it is a close family member or someone you admired from afar. In particular, we get a good look at how Shuri, the next in line to the throne, just cannot bring herself to take her brother's place as the rightful ruler of Wakanda. Despite her lingering heartache, Shuri, along with the rest of Wakanda's de facto leaders, must find a way to set aside her sadness to confront the looming annihilation by advancing enemy forces. Most of the film shows how not only Shuri, but also Okoye (Danai Gurira) and Ramonda (Angela Bassett) all need to work together in order to prevent a major catastrophe from happening. I interpret this plot element as a metaphor for depression as a whole, since rising above intense emotional pain often requires the help of others. Because of that, this is a nice way of telling the audience that no matter how hard things may seem, there will always be others to aid them through their own personal difficulties.

Due to the prevalent themes of loss and despair, this is the most melancholic film in the entire MCU library, even more so than the beginning of "Avengers: Endgame". Naturally this is a striking departure from the MCU we are all familiar with, which is usually light-hearted and fun for practically everybody. As a result, there are very few moments of comic relief to brighten the mood, and even then it does little to help alleviate the severity of a specific scene. If you are expecting the usual humorous situations that MCU fans have grown accustomed to after all these years or the characters constantly cracking jokes at a convenient time, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

This film never wavers on its downbeat tone, with frequent reminders that the original hero is dead and not coming back. Of course, this is entirely understandable considering it would be disrespectful to not take into account Chadwick Boseman's monumental contribution to the series and the film plays along like something crucial is missing without him. Bearing that in mind, the film is still enjoyable in other ways. It does contain a number of good action scenes with some creative fight choreography and a deeper exploration of Wakandan lore to keep the audience invested. These are easily the most entertaining aspects of the film, as they remind us that Wakanda is more than simply the location where the Black Panther character originated. Just don't expect to be smiling too much during these highlights.

Out of the three main actors whom the film chooses to focus on, I think Letitia Wright really shone the most as Shuri. Though we have seen Shuri do many important things in previous MCU films, I think it is here where we finally get to see her come into her own. Gone is the confident, meme-quoting sister of King T'Challa and in her place is a mournful, vulnerable young woman who misses her brother and just can't see herself taking his place as leader. Regardless of this shift in personality, Shuri still retains her intelligent side, which is featured much more extensively in this film than we've ever seen before. It's quite impressive to see how well Wright plays into Shuri's insecurities, never once exaggerating her emotions to the point of caricature or melodrama. Instead, she is shown to be a relatable human being, coming to terms with the sudden curveball life has thrown her.

Though I must admit, none of this would have worked as well for Wright without the help of Angela Bassett and Danai Gurira as Ramonda and Okoye, respectively. As previously mentioned, they are all dealing with grief in their own unique ways but soon learn that working together to overcome it as a team is the best strategy. These characters feel like a real family, sticking together through what needs to be done to protect Wakanda from anything that threatens their existence. Even with the King no longer around to assist them, these three still prove themselves a formidable force against any hardship they may face.

Given the unexpected turn of events surrounding the death of its main star, this film works surprisingly well with its remaining cast members and a more interesting look at Wakanda's place in the MCU. It's hard to say for certain how things may have turned out had Chadwick Boseman lived to reprise his role here, but if I had to guess I would assume we'd have gotten a more optimistic sequel without that feeling of loss hovering over every scene. Personally, I think they made the right decision not to recast and with all of that said, I am nonetheless convinced that Boseman would be pleased to see his legacy honoured in the best way possible under these circumstances. I know I would be.

I rate it 8/10.
195 out of 455 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long, boring, uninteresting
arman_pp15 November 2022
One of the most boring marvel movies to this day. Forgettable action scenes, poor dialogues, 5 year old humour. The graphics and cinematography are cool and well made and the music well fitting. There is more weight put on "diversity" and "feminism" than the actual scenario.

The new black panther is not as an exciting character, the female iron-man came out of nowhere as if she was forced into the movie.

The only positive note of the film was Namor. Still, this is far from enough to make the movie worth 3 hours of your life and the your buck in the cinema.

Marvel has become a travesty of what it was.
96 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very weak and mediocre movie
akhil02716 November 2022
We have reached a point at which people will watch anything that has the tag "Marvel" on it. I kept fighting to prevent myself from falling asleep during the first hour. It's incredibly slow and nothing interesting happens. Namor and Talokans could be terrifying but couldn't reach their full potential.

The forced jokes weren't funny at all. The action sequences doesn't look good. The background tracks/scores were too much or had no control. It stood seperate from what's happening.

I can understand why they should be grieving but grief isn't so good for a marvel movie. They didn't handle it well either. The wow factor is missing and the whole movie falls flat.
254 out of 384 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overblown and Oversaturated Airplane Movie
tpark-4636811 November 2022
At this point, Marvel is getting too saturated for its own good. The movie's beginning and the end is good, but the middle is too slow and crammed with corporate-mandated plot requirements, so much so that the writers didn't know what to do.

I really feel that this is the product of unrealistic corporate deadlines, leading to incohesive and plot-hole ridden story, subpar CGI, and morally problematic characters that we are supposed to think are heroes. I don't think Marvel is really taking the time to quality check.

To start, the villain is not really likeable or unlikeable. The villain just sort of exists. At least the first Black Panther movie had a villain that was likeable, carried by the performance of Michael B. Jordan. Another point of weakness is how Ironheart was crammed into the plot as required by Disney. As they tried to cram her in, plot points began to crack (which will not be mentioned here due to spoilers). The story is not cohesive. The third, and perhaps the biggest, point of weakness is the action scenes.

Action scenes, you would think, would be the centerpieces of superhero movies, right? But Marvel's sweat-shop CGI studios seem to lack the motivation or at least the time to render quality products, not to mention how the choreography is sub-par as well. At the end, Black Panther 2's action scenes are forgettable.

It is mildly entertaining enough to be an airplane or a steam-at-home movie, but this is by no means a great movie.
175 out of 322 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad editing ruined it; the stellar score and wardrobe couldn't save it
SureCommaNot11 November 2022
This film and its prequel both had exceptional visual design, particularly in the diverse wardrobe styles displayed, and throught-provoking instrumentation in the score. The score was particularly captivating this time around. But none of this could save the film from its pacing, clarity and consistency issues.

Even if we forget the outright errors (where the audio didn't match the visuals), the film just had a lot of awkward silence, like the actors were expecting quick cuts and were just waiting for direction. There were hundreds of places I would have cut a second here, two seconds there, enough not only to bring some energy into the pacing, but also to buy more time to understand Namor's people. Little time is spent really getting to empathize with them. Even Namor's story lacked clarity and fleshing out.

More than 90 minutes in, the story finally started to get interesting, with noteworthily well-done action sequences. But even then, it was painfully obvious that some sequences where done by entirely different teams, with completely inconsistent tonality. So it was hard to enjoy the good parts, with how different they were from the rest.

I admit I had high hopes for the final film of Phase 4, but this just didn't deliver.
118 out of 240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A big challenge that Ryan Coogler overcame!
Matt-Canalcon9 November 2022
I want to start by saying I haven't been the biggest fan of this Phase 4 by Marvel that started with Black Widow in 2020, it's been hit & miss for me so I was nervous for the sequel to Black Panther. I'm happy to report that Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is a success. I think Ryan Coogler and his team hit a home run with Wakanda Forever by paying tribute to Chadwick Boseman and moving the story forward respectfully.

I won't go into spoilers, but the movie starts with an emotional bang. Wakanda Forever builds on the great fondation that was established in the first Black Panther, a visual feast with breathtaking production design, fantastic costumes and impressive action sequences. The music from Ludwig Goransson is once again phenomenal, he creates a signature to this film that gives us the iconic sound of Wakanda while incorporing new themes for this sequel.

Similar to the first film with Wakanda, there's a lot of world-building with the newly introduced Namor and the underwater world. This allows director Ryan Coogler to let his vision shine on the screen, it's spectacular to look at and the way they filmed the underwater sequences was truly astonishing. Ironically, most of superhero movies depend on their villains in order to succeed, they nailed it with Killmonger and what they did here is just as good, if not better.

I don't think it's a perfect film, with a hefty runtime of 161 minutes, there are some moments that were dragging in the middle for me, but I think it was necessary for this film to be a bit longer than usual. Every character has their shining moments, Shuri is at the heart of this movie but Nakia, Okoye, M'Baku and Queen Ramonda all get their shining moments and a solid story arc that is rewarding by the end, so I don't really have an issue with the movie being this long.

I have some other nitpicks that are spoiler-y, so I cannot really discuss them at the time. Everyone's motivation is clear and the main story is so engaging that I didn't really care for Marvel doing their usual "laying the ground for the future" stuff with certain characters (without getting into details). However, I can say that Namor was a terrific character, I absolutely love what they did with him storywise and visually. He absolutely slays during the action sequences, Tenoch Huerta is a great actor that fits the role perfectly, no surprise with the spot-on Marvel casting there.

This is a movie to see on the big screen, without a doubt this is the best film the MCU has delivered in the Phase 4. The scale is epic but the film feels very intimate and personal because of what happened with Chadwick. The fact that they incorporated his passing into the story beautifully was so important & crucial. Ryan Coogler is probably the best director working for Marvel right now and I'm very excited to see what he does next after this big win.

8/10.
338 out of 756 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unlikely to make the same impact as the original, Wakanda Forever is a mature and effective Marvel outing
eddie_baggins9 November 2022
A cultural phenomenon that was the rare type of film that struck a chord with critics, audiences, box office booths and the awards circuits, 2018's Black Panther was one of the most resounding success stories of the Marvel cinematic universe, with it always going to be a tough task for returning director Ryan Coogler to strike the same gold he did with his beloved first foray into the Marvel world.

The task Coogler and his creative partners faced was made all the monumental by the tragic and shattering passing of T'Challa/Black Panther himself Chadwick Boseman, the type of heartbreaking real life loss the Marvel world has never had to overcome before in this way but against all the odds Black Panther: Wakanda Forever succeeds in somehow working with the passing of Boseman to make a cohesive film, that may not be ground-breaking, but offers up a very different type of Marvel film that is centred and driven by grief both imagined and real.

Undoubtedly an entirely different film than the one that was first being developed by Coogler, Forever wastes little time dealing with T'Challa's demise and all of the films sombre moments of respect and consideration for the life of both the character and Boseman in turn is handled with aplomb here and when moving through the films (sadly overlong) 160 minute runtime, it's not too see and feel that this is an entirely different type of Marvel exercise that thankfully places the off-kilter comedic focussed mode it's been operating in since the early Guardians and Thor: Ragnarok days to deliver a more mature offering that's fairly likely to not win over the younger fans that have made Marvel their own over the last decade.

With Boseman and T'Challa no longer the central focus of the Black Panther universe, much extra weight has been added onto the likes of Letitia Wright's Shuri, Angela Bassett's Ramonda, Winston Duke's M'Baku and Danai Gurira's Okoye, with all returning players once more delivering the goods for Coogler on the acting front with Wright in particular impressing with a character that is now largely far removed from the one we initially saw in the original.

As is usually the case with a Marvel outing some of the best moments in Forever stem from the new players with Dominique Thorne's feisty and gung-ho Riri likely to be a new fan favourite (even if her role here is slightly forced) while Tenoch Huerta's new adversary Namor is one of the more effective "villains" Marvel has introduced in the cinematic landscape since the full reveal of Thanos many moons ago.

Mostly recognisable from some TV work and mid-tier feature films, Huerta's take on the underwater dwelling Namor is a massive win for the film and much like Killmonger in the 2018 outing, his performance and character arc provides much weight to a film that without him may have felt like a lesser event, with motivations one can understand up to a point and enough development and growth where we can see so much potential both good and bad, Huerta and in turn Namor make us wish for more exploration of a whole new kingdom of Marvel that is hopefully explored even more than it is successfully but briefly looked at here.

Another element of Forever that must be made note of and celebrated is the work of composer Ludwig Göransson who creates one of the most unique and noticeably effective Marvel scores we've yet encountered and while his work in the first film and other recent outings such as Tenet and The Mandalorian TV series showcase a talented artist at work, this is the type of score that heralds in the official arrival of a composer that could be about to shake the industry up in all the right ways.

With a lot of elements to enjoy, Forever is unlikely to have the same type of impact either culturally or narratively as the first outing did and there will be some that find Coogler's close to three hour epic overly long in the tooth with a sagging middle section the most notable instance of running through the motions, while some side characters that appear set to play bigger parts merely come and go when it pleases the story, with the film at its best when it allows the likes of Shuri and Namor the time they deserve in the spotlight, especially without an Avenger or an unnecessary cameo in sight

Final Say -

Considering the odds stacked against it, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is without question another success story for Marvel but not everything pays off in Coogler's high-reaching outing that overstays its welcome at times and may find itself fairly/unfairly judged against an original it's not going to match for impact or sentiment.

3 1/2 wing feet out of 5.

Jordan and Eddie (The Movie Guys)
105 out of 269 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely Emotional Movie About Loss, Legacy And Healing!
MiroslavKyuranov9 November 2022
"Wakanda Forever" is MCU's 30-th movie and is phenomenal! The most powerful project of Phase 4. I can not understate how masterful the score is from start to finish. There are no weak links in the cast, but I have to give a special shoutout to Angela Basset and Letitia Wright's Shuri. Letitia is quite the beating heart of this film. And Tenoch Huerta? They couldn't have found a better Namor."

Ryan Coogler's emotional movies is about loss, legacy and healing. The story is intimate, but vast with global power struggles and palace intrigue. Tenoch Huerta's Namor is a force, better than I hoped. So much can be told...

The scope, the camera work, the acting, and the raw emotions on and off screen can be felt throughout! Fantastic sequel and a great movie. I knew it'd be emotional and it was. Expect your eyes to leak.

Immensely powerful story of forging forward-shattering at times, but also beautifully cathartic and heartening, still cannot get over how well the film earns that title.

If Chadwick could see this movie, he'll be proud as much as I am right now!
389 out of 931 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should Have Been a Series
kgprophet20 November 2022
There is a huge amount story to tell in this very large scope world of Wakanda. Lots of characters with lots of goals to obtain. All the major characters are quite emotionally driven I must say. With so much to accomplish, the audience has a lot to digest in one long sitting. This type of ensemble setting with kingdoms and leaders and betrayals works better as a "Game of Thrones" type of series. It would also give the audience more time to appreciate the production design and costumes. The appealing look of the film helped to give the character performances more impact. The story rightly avoids being about the missing main character, the now deceased Black Panther. His absence draws the movie's attention to the supporting characters, and they are given a lot to do.

The large story justifies the long running time, sure. But the storylines could have been given more attention to the audiences' benefit. So good filmmaking all around. Angela Bassett commands the screen in Chad Boseman's place with great success. As usual there are big action scenes with lots of CGI. They are perfunctory as usual.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tender, human, tragic and Beautiful
harry-3451811 November 2022
The biggest compliment I can give this film is just how human it feels, you can feel the grief and sadness pouring through every shot. But perhaps the best part of this movie is the grief isn't used to make it good the story is compelling, Namor is a great villain and Shuris arc in the course of this movie was amazing and some of marvels best character arc. Seeing wakanda vs Tolkan (sorry if misspelled) was thrilling and both sides had really good points and arguments. The performances across the board were perfect and riri made a great addition to the movie. I do have some issues with the movie however the action at points can be a bit generic and in the third act there's a montage used to try and get the characters ready for the final battle and feels a bit lazy. But aside from that this has to be one of the better marvel movies and worthy successor to the original black panther.
90 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it BUT....
Rainman5392916 November 2022
I loved this film in so many ways. Tribute was done perfectly and villain casting was a bullseye. Story was great as well but I feel Nakia should have been the new Black Panther. As a spy with more fight experience and seasoned in the game would have made a far better fit. I didn't find final climax between Namar & Panther wasn't believable at all. He had decades of fight experience which showed easily in his fight choreography and she was by far outmatched but the film did require she be victorious but wasn't done in a way could believe. Leaving sister as tech genius would have made for a better story. That's the only issue I had with this project/film and why I rated it a 7.5/10..
18 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An impressive second movie.
Sleepin_Dragon28 November 2022
The King of Wakanda is dead, and its people face a new threat.

If I'm honest, I have to say I wasn't captivated by the first movie, despite the gorgeous visuals and incredible acting, Wakanda forever however, this was a completely different story, I thoroughly enjoyed it. For me, it felt as though The Wakandans had a worthy adversary here, it was a real twist.

First off, I loved the way it paid tribute to Chadwick Boseman, the credits were a truly nice touch, his tragic passing was very sensitively dealt with.

High energy, action packed, this truly was a visual masterpiece, the production team absolutely nailed it. Great music also, it worked with the film, it never clashed with it, or felt overdone.

The acting was quite something, terrific in every corner, two powerhouse performances stood out for me though, Laetitia Wright and Tenoch Huerta, the pair were just incredible, their scenes together were captivating.

Really enjoyed it, 8/10.
13 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For Honor, For Legacy, For Wakanda!
AfricanBro11 November 2022
The first black panther was mostly focused on Wakandan affairs, this one really expands that but despite the wider scope it is one of the most intimate movies in the MCU so far. Less action and more about honoring Black Panther's death, if felt more real considering Chadwick himself passed; it was also more political handling the passing of power and as I did my best to avoid spoilers and teaser trailers, I've found out the big secret was already revealed in a leak. I'll try avoiding the spoilers.

As said earlier, this one doesn't not only like focus on wakanda, it widens it's scope to the whole world. It increases the stakes, making it seem like an elaborate plot scheme. I loved that it was evenly matched throughout, Wakanda seemed to have better tech but Talocans seemed to be stronger fighters.

Namor had a really cool, mysterious intro. M'baku was hilarious, the movie was generally quite comedic for the first half but unlike other recent marvel movies it fortunately wasn't forced humor. Action felt seldom especially considering the runtime, but after watching the first black panther just before they were better. It's slow paced so this isn't as blood rushing as other marvel movies, don't expect constant tension or fights. Everyone was as good as you'd expect but Angela Bassett gave an amazing performance and stood out. As was the first movie, I still feel like Andy Serkis is an underrated perfect casting.

Opening scene honors T'challa and opening credits for Chadwick, it's continued throughout. It had flashbacks and tributes that made the movie more of a farewell to both, everything seemed secondary.

I watched this as a double feature with the first back to back and Wakanda Forever is better. I didn't really have high expectations as a lot of Phase 4 productions have disappointed me, and some of the projects that I actually liked were met with criticisms.

End Game carried a lot of emotions a closure to Phase three, this has to be the most devotedly emotional in depth marvel movie, not because of the fan love but because it was written that way. Might not be the best at it but for a superhero movie it was. It was a great way to honor Chadwick and a good movie, I however didn't get that feeling leaving the cinema like I had just seen something special. You know, the way you felt after endgame, even though that's a high bar. The movie still does an impressive job and difficult task bettering it's prequel without it's beloved star, delivering the most emotional take in the MCU thus far.
52 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What????
dallorens42620 November 2022
This movie is so bad it's hard to focus my editorial! The first Black Panther movie had many problems and some very horrible scripting but this next movie is so bad that I don't know where to begin. I hope that this movie quietly sails off into the horizon and then falls off the edge of the earth. Don't waste precious time on this tripe! It's a shame Chad Bozeman passed away so young he was perhaps the only socially redeeming quality of the first movie. The clearly racist anti male anti family over tones are just disgusting. Is this the best we can hope for now from the Marvel universe, really? Run away from this one you will regret the lost time.
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.