Andhaghaaram (2020) Poster

(2020)

Have patience...Good things comes to those who waits
sudheerparimi25 November 2020
Pros: * gripping narration * Very good cinematography and editing * Extreme care in technical aspects * Strong script, interesting story

Cons: ~ seems slow at times(but its worth the wait)

This movie reminded me of classic highly reputed hollywood movie "Memento" for the narration style. To take a simple story like this, and elevate the aspects by changing the screenplay, editing is really risky and the director deserves standing ovation for this.

Although the Movie seems stretched, at the end, i dont feel like there is any unnecessary scene. Every scene has some vital role in bringing it closer to the climax(and trying to make sense of the ending).

I am fascinated with this movie as lately its been extremely rare to find a movie on streaming services that can impress as much like the big movies. Also it doesn't try to include too much sounds and thrills to make it sound like a horror movie. I really appreciate the way they handled it.

Please do watch it and enjoy! I would say it's a must watch for thrill seekers. :)

Thanks.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Artistically done, will feel like an experience that will stay with you!
Lynchian69624 November 2020
It is really appreciated that "Andhaghaaram" opts for psychological suspense, ignoring the special effects, jump scares that have become a fashion in recent times. A clever, riveting supernatural, part psychological drama that fits many genres into one film which pays off in the end. Disguised as a "Supernatural" film but this is actually a revenge driven drama towards the end with frequent character shifts that are fast. The film blurs the lines between reality & fiction to deliver a psychological shock & that will someday have the respect it truly deserves. It does not register or decipher what is happening but follows imaginary stimuli. In this way, reality, and fiction merge, they can no longer be differentiated. Darkness is a popular film element, and it comes across as striking.

If one releases oneself from the expectation that there must be a 'thrill' behind the gripping opening where a patient pulls trigger on Dr Indran (Kumar Natarajan) and series of suicide follows. There are no questions left on closer observation when the final title begins. In addition to the quality of the content, there is a formal implementation that works on the story in the smallest detail right from the beginning till the credits roll. And then, we are introduced to Selvam (Vinoth Kishan), a blind librarian, a MEDIATOR helping people in the library whose roots hold a mysterious past. Then we meet Vinod (Arjun Das) a cricket coach who lives in a flat. Unfortunately, things are not going well in his life and there is a sense of guilt that prevails. It is difficult for him to cope with the death of his best friend. The room where he stays is a great setting and at the same time a reflection of his conflicts and unstable character. The environment creates eerie shadows from which indefinable noises emerge all the more clearly in later part of the film. He has a landline to communicate with the outer world and like a puzzle rummaging in the streets for smoke breaks that doesn't look like one at first. And then there is this stranger who keeps calling him to his landline number. Vinod goes crazy because he thinks he is tapped or blackmailed. From then on, Vinod hears strange noises, voices and rumbling in his house. It brings him to the brink of a nervous breakdown. The strange occurrences lead him to believe that there is a psychological problem, and he is advised to fix an appointment with a psychiatrist. Having someone unknown call you and never being able to find them with this as the backdrop the film introduces more threads in the screenplay.

What follows is a great mystery and I asked myself whether this topic of Darkness vs Light could fill an entire film. After all, the tension had to be maintained for nearly 3 Hrs and I think the film does that quite cleverly, but it takes some time to get going.

On the other hand, the film convinces with a dense atmosphere and good camera work that shuttles back and forth between flashbacks during the narrative. Still, "Andhaghaaram " is a very interesting film, which is not entirely conclusive and leaves few questions. It almost looks like a cinematic experiment in genre crossover. If you like horror films to be clear and unambiguous, you won't have much fun here. Anyone who loves suspense and supernatural horror will be in good hands in this film. Kudos to the entire team of Andhaghaaram for this indie gem.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Every minute was worth watching
jaxoniel24 November 2020
Felt like watching a DC movie in Tamil. Runtime may appear to be a bit long. But if you sit tight and get through the first hour, it'll be an unforgettable movie. Wise choice of actors. Specially Arjun Pooja and and Vinod Kishan. Just loved the movie.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic
mahenthiraprabu24 November 2020
It remains me a screen play of dark series we can also do that thing proof here unique story, dark premise,if miss one frame u should rewind worth watching
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch many times 👏👏👏
ajitmrnd24 November 2020
A complete supernatural thriller after a long long long time... hats off to the team... truly this movie is like meeting a lion inside it's own cage... direction and cinematography mind blowing... awesome movie thanks a lot for a good entertainer... waiting to see more future projects from this amazing team... 👏👏👏
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting watch
nevermind_8723 November 2020
I am writing this about an hour into the movie. It has an intriguing dark premise and has not been predictable so far. Thankfully, the movie is also without gimmicks and excessive melodrama so far. The actors have acted well and fit their parts. Hoping that it gets better.

Update: The second half gets a bit tiring and at places convoluted. Could have been edited by around 20 minutes and the big reveal could have been more effectively explained. Watchable but the second half pulls it down.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I only know Darkness
alekhyabanerjee30 November 2020
Andhaghaaram

Tamil Supernatural Thriller Film

I can't believe that this film is made by a debutant Director the Screenplay and Direction of the film is so precise that even after the length of the film is near to 3hours you will not take your eyes of the screen for a single mintute Coming to performance all the leads have done a commendable job but the actor who played selvam is extraordinary he is so natural that you will feel like he is really blind The background music and the colour of the film is dark and justify the name of the film The story is bit complex and the twists are good the climax could have been better still better than most of them out there I will not reveal anything about the story but I will definitely say "Bade dino baad ek acha supernatural thriller dekha hu"

If you haven't watched it its highly recommended

Its not available in hindi You have to watch it with subtitles

But trust me this one worth it

5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You're not a genius, if you say you understood this movie
victoryavignesh27 November 2020
So much confusions in logic and understanding the movie. Even you can find if you watch again. Not sure the villain is doctor or his patient. Why does he have to kill the patients. Because he says, "you or raping and killing people and why do you need to live". So he need to kill them not the patients. What did hero do. Why is he threatening. So many many logical mistakes and no twist no finding outs interesting things. But they've made it to feel like nice movie. So 5 for 10
13 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poorly written script
aryanebert26 November 2020
Complete movie is off, poorly written script. Nothing will make not sense, too much of patch multiple story naration but not properly focused on subject, many time you feel like what is actually happening.

I feel it would have been a great movie with clear story with proper depth, Amazing direction, cinematography and sound acting superb.
14 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the reviews
thirsty_minds27 November 2020
Really, i had to sit 3 hours to know about the ghost who talks through the phone as medium. Just by playing around with the screenplay directors these days feel they can create a great movie with a stupid illogical script.
12 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Confusing
jwalapriyadarsini25 November 2020
I had too much expectation for this movie, but all gone in vain. Whole movie moved with Character analysis, bits and pieces of scenes. I find it very confusing and long. positive aspect: all the characters acted so good and involved, especially Vinod and Arjun Das. And the camera and lighting at its best. I consider this movie as confusing rather than engaging.
8 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
kjerometh13 December 2020
Very well executed. Great work done by the teams and crews. Connected all the dots...

An must watch film

Kudos guys
Intriguing. Fresh. Engaging
parnildh12 December 2020
Keeps you on the edge. Intriguing plot. Convincing performances. Fresh characters. A bit long but enjoyable. Go watch it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very complicated story telling!!
yuvangkrishna10 December 2020
Direction-9/10 Story-10/10 Acting-9/10 Sound effects-8/10 Music-10/10 Editing-10/10 Screenplay-7/10 Cinematography-9/10

Overall-9/10

A superb story, Experience a unique movie, The duration is a minus for the movie but you will enjoy when you are watching the movie.......
Absolutely stunning !!!
check-piyush9 December 2020
This is one of the best movie I have ever watched. Must watch for all the thriller lovers.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor script with cringe worthy supernatural story
singhprerna33 December 2020
The only thing that works it the cinematography and lead actors' acting and that's the end of it. Poorly written half-baked script which is neither supernatural, neither thriller, nor psychological. The supernatural angle is rather hilarious and made no sense to the plot built in initial two hours.

Had high hopes because of the reviews but a truly terrible movie. Not recommended for any serious movie lover.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Screen play too slow One time watchable
trevorfdo-0536024 November 2020
It's soo long. Acting by the cast is brilliant cinematography very well done. If it's a crime thriller it would be an masterpiece. But story line was so weak. Climax scenes was not soo thrilling. Due to overall super natural element and for overall thriller it's one time watchable. My rating 5/10
10 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Technically Well crafted thriller movie with fantastic background music
achyutpsd25 November 2020
Pefrection from the movie Title Andhaghaaram (darkness, absence of light) . Quote (Devil is in the details ), execution and hardwark of all departments for almost 5 years has given a top notch thriller from a Debut director Vignarajan.

My advise for any movie lovers to watch this mvoie with patience without pause and forards. Most importantly use headphones to enjoy the thrill and background music.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually language and long adrenaline
hariprasath-5230524 November 2020
First of all it's almost looks like an A24 thriller with left field visual and mystery growing with respect to time. Well written characters and lame less narration. Kudos to director and producer for presentin a non compromised cinema.
Suspence thriller movie
ayanyog24 November 2020
Screenplay vera level.... Sema movie .. super story..
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Arjun Das Steals the Show!
harishvjlover24 November 2020
When we see the duration , it is 2h 51m , We feel it is a bit long ! But... The Screenplay is so awful That Overshadows the duration and Make us witness the Good Supernatural thriller! The performance of Arjundas is a highlighted one! Go for a watch! I'm sure This film will satisfy You ! WORTH A WATCH !!!!
Great Masterpiece !!!!
speilbergarun24 November 2020
Pros - Acting , Different plot , music , non linear screenplay , twisted climax

Cons - length of the movie ,

Verdict- According to me .. different from usual Tamil mysteries, one time watchable ( due to length ) , lots of terrific scenes , good movie
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Technically brilliant supernatural psychological thriller
naveensankaran1824 November 2020
The genre of supernatural thriller is not new for Tamil Cinema; right from Mohini till Kanchana, we had several versions of "supernatural" stories on screen but the genre was not properly explored enough. The movie "Zero" came close in that aspect, in exploring something new but it failed to impress many. However, Andhaghaaram does it right - exploring the unexplored.

Right from the beginning, the setup of the movie is straight and clear - to provide a dark and intense thriller. The gripping camera work assisted by some sharp editing pattern, keeps us guessing throughout the movie. Though there are instances where one might feel distracted, one gets pulled into the action right after that. With a well-written screenplay and a powerful background score, Andhaghaaram explores the supernatural and psychological elements of our life - nothing new, yet refreshing when put-together.
Mediocre movie
a-3825429 November 2020
Nothing but movie is for waste 2:50 hrs of ur life
8 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie
subashrox29 November 2020
If you want waste 2hr watch this movie it's like a short film and pathetic story ghost calling using a telephone and Arjun das is over acting its too much for a movie worst film I have ever watched
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.