Eternals (2021) Poster

(2021)

3,075 Reviews
Dire.
Sleepin_Dragon11 December 2021
I've read several critical reviews applauding this film, however having sat through it twice I have to point out that this is a very poor film.

Almost two and a half hours long, and every single minute of this film was an effort. How on Earth did they think this would appeal?

It's a lifeless watch, it rambles along at a torturous pace, and sadly half the cast seem totally disinterested, giving very wooden performances.

Special effects vary, some look good, some look very poor, when you look at the budget this film had, it should have looked flawless, it doesn't.

I love Gemma Chan and Richard Madden, but neither of them look totally at home here, I only hope this turkey of a movie doesn't halt either career.

I don't think a second will follow somehow.

Awful sadly, I did give it a second watch to be sure, but there you are, it's a shocker, 3/10.
1,868 out of 2,575 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watching this movie felt like an eternity
cricketbat8 November 2021
Shang-Chi gave me hope for Phase 4 of Marvel. Eternals dashed those hopes. This is probably my least favorite Marvel movie. This film is too long and crammed full of overly complicated plot points, yet it's also completely predictable. It seems the filmmakers were too busy trying to check off boxes rather than create a good story. It's also a downer. People watch MCU movies to have fun, not to have existential crises. Perhaps the Eternals should have stood on the sidelines a little longer.
631 out of 891 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fairly shallow Marvel experience...
paul_haakonsen16 January 2022
Another year, another Marvel Studios superhero movie, right? Well, so it would seem. I had only vaguely heard about "Eternals" prior to sitting down to watch it. But then again, superhero movies isn't exactly my primary go-to-movie choice. But yeah, I do watch them if given the chance, as Marvel Studios does churn out movies that are fun enough if for nothing else then for the amazing CGI.

And that was the case with the 2021 movie "Eternals" from writers Chloé Zhao, Patrick Burleigh, Ryan Firpo and Kaz Firpo. This movie was all flash and bang and no proper contents. It was all essentially just pointless eye-candy.

For me, then we are talking about a swing and a miss for Marvel Studios with the 2021 superhero movie "Eternals". When the movie ended, I was left with an overwhelming sensation of 'what did I just waste two and a half hours on watching?'. And I was also left with a sense of none of the characters portrayed in the story had any significance or backstory. You might as well replace them with mannequins and still end up with the same movie result.

You would assume that with a cast ensemble that included the likes of Gemma Chan, Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Kit Harington and Lauren Ridloff among others, that you would be in for a stellar movie experience. But nay, director Chloé Zhao didn't rise to the occasion to deliver a wholesome and entertaining superhero movie. Nope, this was a lukewarm movie at best.

The total absence of properly written characters and character development throughout the two and a half hours of runtime was just atrocious to witness. And it totally turned the movie into a shallow experience. Yet, I managed to sit through it, but believe you me, this is not a movie that I will ever be returning to watch a second time. There were so many characters to keep track off, yet none of them had any properly written backstory, character traits, personalities or anything, so they just sort of blended into one singular faceless mass. And hence, I didn't care one bit about any of the hero characters, because they were about as interesting as mannequins.

"Eternals" was pure and simply just eye-candy in term of entertainment value. The storyline would have been more interesting if the story had interesting characters, subplots, etc., but there was no such thing going on here.

Sure, I am by no account a fan of the superhero genre, but watch the movie regardless, but "Eternals" was definitely among the top contenders for being among the most pointless and boring of superhero movies.

My rating of "Eternals" lands on a three out of ten stars.
378 out of 536 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eternal was the Runtime
view_and_review12 November 2021
I'm not going to give a long winded review though the movie was long. "Eternal" was the runtime. There were parts that were good and parts that weren't. One of the biggest issues is that a movie of this nature presents more questions than it answers. The very existence of eternal beings existing on planet Earth, sent there by their creator in order to protect human life from Deviants, begs a lot of questions. And the more they strayed from their prime directive, the more questions they presented. The eternals were human in every aspect with the exception of their powers and their lifespan. The fact that such humanlike and very fallible beings (as in not entirely obedient) were sent to protect humans is just a start of the questions.

"Eternals" was unnecessarily long. There were plenty of scenes that could've been left on the cutting room floor. Marvel bit off a lot with this metaphysical, beginning of creation movie. It was very emotional and slow at many points. Even the comic relief failed to garner the laughs it intended. But, there was applause in the theater after it was over. Honestly, I don't know if that was based upon how good the movie was or simply MCU diehards paying their obligatory tribute.
540 out of 801 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Neither Intrigues Nor Entertains
CinemaClown14 January 2022
The 26th instalment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe marks the arrival of a new brand of superheroes into their ever-growing family and further expands the horizons of its shared universe with its grand scope. However, being one of the lesser-known properties the way Guardians was back in 2014, Eternals needed to create an intrigue & curiosity to make us care & invest in its mythic world but the film as a whole simply falls flat at it.

Co-written & directed by Chloé Zhao (The Rider & Nomadland), her latest effort opts for a slightly different path that at times avoids or escapes the familiar trappings of a standard Marvel fare but then its attempts to forge its own identity is executed with such blandness that there is no life to it. The film is devoid of the fun & fascinating qualities of its studio's finest works and neither its storytelling nor its ensemble compel us enough to give a damn.

It is an ambitious undertaking no doubt that intends to explore a few interesting ideas but Zhao goes for it without working out the fundamentals first. She aims for the intimacy with surface-level digging into these superpowered beings but with there being no incentive for us to even bother, the emotions & warmth don't shine through. Add to that, the story is needlessly overlong, tediously paced, and is filled with characters without camaraderie with one another.

Overall, Eternals is a dull, lifeless & forgettable addition to Marvel Studios canon and also happens to be one of their rarest gambles that doesn't pay off the desired dividends. While the diverse ensemble is a welcome move from the inclusivity standpoint, the actors are more or less wasted in their roles and aren't given anything interesting to leave their imprint upon. It remains to be seen how this chapter plays out in Marvel's Phase 4 plan but as a standalone entry, Eternals is mediocre at best.
118 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i'm so sad
FeastMode5 November 2021
I went in knowing nothing about the source material and not watching a single trailer. I had no expectations for this movie. After watching it, I feel like it had the potential to be incredible. But it wasn't. It wasn't even good. I'm legitimately sad while writing this.

I see this as the MCU homage to Watchmen. It feels very "adult" in so many ways. But in others, it's childish. The story is a complete mess. So many useless side plots. The characters feel flat, especially the protagonist. Some uncharacteristically bad casting choices (while also criminally under utilizing Angelina Jolie, a beast of an actress, should have been the main character). So much of this movie doesn't feel natural, something always feels a bit off.

There's a lot i enjoyed. I watched some of the coolest things I've ever seen on screen. So many parts are visually stunning. Some of the action was good, some wasn't. An enormous step down in that department after Shang-Chi. The deep philosophical themes were interesting but poorly executed.

Sigh. I'll probably watch it again to see if it grows on me. But this might be the worst MCU movie.

Edit: I watched it again, in IMAX of course. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time. All of my initial flaws are still there. But I focused on all of the good, and tried to ignore the bad. It made for a much better experience, especially after moving past the initial disappointment of how truly amazing it could have been.

I think the reason I found the protagonist so underwhelming is because she doesn't drive the plot. Her character is always reactive. Things happen to her. She's generally likeable, but a weak character. And one thing that was impossible to ignore even when I tried, Salma Hayek was a terrible choice.

My favorite character is Druig, with a great performance by Barry Keoghan. I really like most of the other characters and wish I could have seen more from them. Kumail Nanjiani is awesome, except when they give him random "insert joke here" lines. I'm curious to see more from most of the characters.

This movie is still very flawed. And I absolutely hated how certain character conflicts were resolved after major decisions were made. But if you can move past the bad, you can enjoy the action, visuals, and ambition. Rating updated from 4 stars to 5 stars. (2 viewings, opening night 11/4/2021, 11/17/2021)
1,112 out of 1,832 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watching people who mostly can't die (eternals) fight each other can be boring
Rob-O-Cop28 January 2022
This review has been declined 3 times now. I don't know why, I think it's cos of the real name of Gilgamesh coinciding with an english word.

The whole film was pretty flat, John Snow turned up and said some funny lines, and Gemma Chan was lovely to look at, but there sure was a lot of cheese in this vegan meal of a film. Some terrible 'inspirational' life messages delivered direct to camera that made you cringe with their rhetoric.

It played like it was constructed from a "making big budget films for dummies" book, and they left it at pretty much the bullet points list on the inside cover.

Shoehorn in a Diversity cast that differed greatly from the source material. I do like to see diversity on screen but sometimes it appears over zealous, like this film and comes across as forced and token and works against the world of the film. The Eternals are not from earth at all so no need to tick all the diversity check boxes. Quite the opposite, they should appear with no cultural links at all. They also shoe horned in a sign language eternal, which just made no sense in the world of the Eternals, Why would the massively powerful universe creators create an eternal who couldn't hear or speak and needed to use their hands to communicate? The original comics had Makkari as a Male who has a relationship with Sersi, in fact many of the original Eternals are male. I'm all for positive representations on a diverse society, but this casting choice just came across as weird as far as the film's story was concerned.

Slot in an ex boy band debut as an actor - Check!

My eyes rolled back into my head when that happened. Big budget movie making by the numbers.

I don't know quite where the problem was. Chloé Zhao's direction by committee choices? It wasn't all bad, there was some decent acting, particularly Barry Keoghan who's character seemed complex, but,... even so it was roped in and never went anywhere. Gilgamesh also was good, until he was dispatched easily.

Then they started fighting each other, and they're Eternals and can't die, except when it's convenient to move the plot along. It got boring really quickly.
73 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely the MCU's weakest movie
Eternals had the potential to be a real standout film from the crowd, but it missed out on breaking ranks from its franchise's long-held cliches like 'action scene then funny one-liner' moments that don't feel like character moments anymore, but 'creative mandates' imposed by the studio.

It's a BIG movie, so big that it's got too many stories for it's single-movie outline and all these brand-spanking-new characters who desperately needed more character development outside Eternal's 2 and ½ hour runtime. This movie is a 'beautifully made mess': and it's bound to be 'retconned' with a throwaway line of dialogue (or with some jokes) in one of the next Avengers movies like Thor 2 was in Ragnarok.

Eternals gets 2/5 stars. It tries to stand out, but it's ultimately more of the same.
152 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
educallejero26 November 2021
Trying to be "deep", the director uses some long shots (or longer than usual in the MCU) here and there, less frenetic editing here and there, and less Marvel humor (there is enough though), in a thing that turned to be a really, really bad experiment. Valient effort though?

In the end, none of that matters that much because the biggest problems with the movie are the simple things: way too many characters, all flat and not particularly interesting (maybe because there is not time to develop them); the interpretations from the important ones, the leads, robotic and soulless; the story told in unnecessary back and forth, maybe as an attempt to make it seem more complex than it was, and not letting the movie to get into any rhythm; and finally, contrary to what I read a lot, the special effects and the desings of the powers and suits and the actions scenes, all just bad, simple or with awful CGI (or a combination of those).

Other than that, it was great(?)
249 out of 398 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most boring supers ever
judywalker215 January 2022
I can understand Marvel wanting to expand its universe; all you have to do is look at the dollars to understand it. But, the thing about superheroes, they have to be super beyond their powers. I didn't know anything about these characters and frankly after watching this movie I don't want to know anymore. I thought Justice league and Batman versus Superman were bad. But nothing has been as boring as this movie. It's cheesy and preachy with no interesting characters except Sprite and the Deviant. I think they may need to stop cause superhero overload can cause bad movie making decisions.
91 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eternals boring just like the Inhumans
Johnny_West9 November 2021
A couple of years ago, there was The Inhumans mini-series, featuring superheroes who lived on the Moon, but were supposedly protecting Earth. Now the Eternals are doing the same thing, with a similar cast of superheroes.

Too many sets of protectors, too many lame superheroes with similar powers, too much boring back-story, just too much.
169 out of 268 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst MCU film ever
WeAreLive23 January 2022
Following the events of Avengers: Endgame (2019), an unexpected tragedy forces the Eternals, ancient aliens who have been living on Earth in secret for thousands of years, out of the shadows to reunite against mankind's most ancient enemy, the Deviants.

This film is by far the worst MCU film I have watch. It's massive insuylt to the comics from the Jack Kirby days. Gender swapping some of the eternals, bad story telling which makes absolutely no sense, unlikeable characters, little to no action and ridicules changes to the MCU just sum up how bad this film. Completely ruined Endgame

The only goods were the music and the CGI for Arishen as well as bonus points for being voiced by David Kaye.

Other then that it's just not a good movie makes both Captain Marvel and Iron Man 3 look good.
101 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnificent to look but it's pretty much lifeless with boring actors playing boring characters
Sir_AmirSyarif14 November 2021
Chloé Zhao's direction gives Marvel Cinematic Universe a much needed breath of fresh air, but 'Eternals' doesn't quite come together. Despite the fact the film claims to have a far more thought-provoking theme and a plethora of philosophical concepts, it fails to elaborate on them sufficiently to create a more compelling experience. The movie is still magnificent to look but it's pretty much lifeless with boring actors playing boring characters.
149 out of 236 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one boring trip, I stopped after one hour
trashgang15 January 2022
And then magic happened, Eternals on Disney streaming. Another entry in the Marvel world. And have seen enough trailers I was ready for it, it looked great but...

...after one hour I turned this off. On part of the effects it all looked great but what the hell about the story and characters. It's all one boring mess. Nothing happens and when things happens I was thinking, okay, is this it? Fighting against CGI creatures. Not that I have a thing against CGI creatures but it was all lame.

The beginning was okay with the history of the world but then it just became one boring love story and as one said, a lifeless flick.

How much I tried, It won't stick for eternal in my mind.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 4/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5.
234 out of 384 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long drawn out superhero film that spans time and ages!
blanbrn13 November 2021
Not the greatest "Marvel" movie fan yet I gave "Eternals" a try even though never really hearing about it or reading the comics, and was not real impressed as the movie went back and fourth thru the ages and time as the group of Eternals were always fighting evil and the movie was a showcase of love and family like feel. It was an eye candy watch for seeing the hot and sexy Gemma Chan and Salma Hayek as immortals Sersi and Ajak as both were healers and watchers of the group. Overall my interest came and went the film for one was to long and drawn out as the message could have been shorter. Still I guess a watch if your a Marvel movie fan, and the look of Gemma Chan and Salma Hayek as superheroes was sexy and impressive.
361 out of 609 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit too... much.
The Eternals tries breaking MCU ranks whilst suffering from sequel-teasing and not enough narrative breathing room to let the screenplay really shine through the film's many inconsistencies (be it Icarus' arc and the logic of the alien-super-race as the antagonists). This film claims to be more diverse than the rest of the canon, but it's more of the same action-then-punchline stuff some weary viewers just can't shake off any longer. The formula's starting to show its cracks and can't be used to introduce characters for uninitiated viewers like they did with The Avengers or Spider-Man (characters we now have collective knowledge on).

The action's nice and big, but the characters don't change, the story feels like it needs 6-7 movies to play out properly, and the in-world logic kind of clashes with everything that happened before (these space-Gods can change little human conflicts in Mesopotamia' but not stop the Snap, Hiroshima or 9/11 because 'natural progress'). So yeah: the spectacle was nice but it didn't make up for the story being an overcooked yet wanting for further development outside of a lone 2 and ½ hour movie introducing too many characters all at once.

Eternals: doesn't feel like it's gonna have everlasting appeal in spite of the title. 2/5 stars.
78 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spectacular visuals, but
Gordon-113 November 2021
The visuals of "Eternals" are spectacular. They look very real and very stylish. I also applaud the film for the diversity of the cast. However, the build up of the film is just too slow and too long, and I lost most of my interest and concentration when the final showdown begins. In addition, the one liner jokes are a little out of place and quite contrived. It is still an entertaining film, but probably not as great as the recent Marvel films.
613 out of 1,173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I gave it a shot
pensacolacomputer13 January 2022
Well, I gave it a shot. Everything bad thing you have heard about this movie is TRUE. You care ZERO about the characters. Its like the writers and director were focusing on.......other things they thought were more important instead of good story telling, a good script, etc...

I'm not sure what happened to Marvel, but what ever has happened to them lately they need to get it right quickly....most of their movies lately have been horrible.

DISNEY needs to wake up, I am canceling my service with them until they change course.
63 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel studios officially dead!
roxmewild22 December 2021
As a huge fan of Sci fi and past Marvel movies and series I can say with a sad heart that since the takeover by Disney and the sad passing of the late legend Stan Lee every production under the Marvel name has been Dreadful and this latest offering is no exception!

When looking at the cast it is very obvious where they stuck all their money as I am sure the bill for the cast was humongous and maybe they had little left to pay for a good writer hence why the story and script is painful to watch!

If Disney continue to not seek out a good/ great even writer and keep throwing money at hiring big names in the hope it will work they will annihilate the once great name of Marvel into nothing!

I will have to be content with watching all the old Marvel shows when they produced great Sci fi not the trash on offer now.
134 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't understand the hate
justin-marshall515 February 2022
Not really sure why this movie got so much hate. It's introducing a swath of new superhero's and doesn't really converge with any other Avengers plot lines save for a few mentions of Thanos, Thor and some other hero's. That job on its own isn't an easy one and I think they did a fantastic job of giving us a new storyline. The shear scale of the movie was well done both in terms of time periods and in general how epic and massive everything felt. Loved the diversity of the characters - every one of them added something to the story. With that being said - and this is coming from just your average Marvel fan with no knowledge of the comics - the Eternals powers all seemed a bit underwhelming. Maybe it's just that they were trying to display how powerful the deviants were but even Ikaris couldn't take down one on his own. Other than that the movie was absolutely beautifully shot - maybe the best looking Marvel movie to date. Again, I'm not sure what the hate is about but I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eternally making Marvel movies.
Pjtaylor-96-13804417 January 2022
The fact that 'Eternals (2021)' doesn't feel like a Marvel movie isn't an inherently good or bad thing. To me, it feels more distinct than most of the studio's other fare, but it isn't as entertaining. As a whole, the thing just feels a bit flat. It's messy, overly portentous and filled with some pretty baffling choices. Chief among these is the decision to have one of its characters straight-up disappear from the finale for no real reason, only to rear his head again just before the piece comes to a close. The ending (which includes two post-credits stings) is incredibly disappointing, evoking the exact opposite of its intended effect. There are plenty of other plot problems, too. They pale in comparison to the fact that most of the movie just feels fairly lifeless, though. It's pretty dull, to be honest. That being said, it does have its merits. Firstly, the cast are all really good despite the fact that they don't have much to work with. Ma Dong-Seok (here credited as Don Lee) is the obvious highlight, though he's criminally underused. Secondly, there are a handful of scenes which start to properly explore the interesting concepts inherent to the heroes' long-lasting lifespans. Unsurprisingly, the best of these involve actual conflict between the core characters and portray each player's different outlook on their unique situation. Sadly, most characters lack chemistry with one another and often seem isolated from the other people that share the frame with them. They aren't allowed to properly come to life, which is one of the biggest reasons that the piece just isn't all that compelling; we have nobody to care about. This also means that the movie feels as though it lacks real stakes, even though it's literally the entire Earth that's in danger. Without a character to latch onto, we simply don't give a second thought to the humans our heroes are trying to save. However, the feature is visually pleasing overall. The cinematography is suitably 'epic' and the various locations are presented with bold colours and distinct architecture. There are also a couple of entertaining, if slightly intangible, action sequences. The best of these, which is also the best portion of the entire affair, is a mid-point battle set in a remote village. For the most part, though, even the set-pieces fall short of the mark. Overall, this is a pretty disappointing film. It has a strange structure, a sloppy story and generally just feels a bit off. It's far too long, yet somehow not long enough; it would've been much better served as a mini-series. It has its moments, but it just isn't all that good. 5/10.
51 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Believe The Bad Reviews!
steveneli5 November 2021
An excellent film that Marvel fans will love! Really enjoy all the characters and fight sequences. The story is really well written and moves at a good pace for being a longer film.
46 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pathetic Casting & Poor Storytelling
OnjiMooteDaMarle12 January 2022
For the first 40 minutes I had no clue what, why, who, where and again what? The characters are written really badly and the story was a drag at times. The VFX was as good as any Marvels film but everything else was so bad that it doesn't deserve a watch especially the casting. Every single lead was bad. I can't digest Salma Hayek. She's the same person, talking like the same character for more than 2 decades with different clothes. Pathetic. Kunal nanjijkdjdhg should stop acting. I don't know if he is being realistic or sarcastic when he opens his mouth. I don't know if that little girl is actually little or a girl. There is no back story for the characters. I haven't read the comics, so I have no clue what I saw. Why not the next film have al chinese actors only because that's where marvels is headed to.

Ikaris character taunts that he doesn't wear a cape when he is mistook for Superman but by watching this film it's clear that he isn't half as powerful as Superman. Why Kit Harrington? He had nothing to do in the entire film. 3-4 wasteful scenes and he was gone. He was better left at the Night's Watch. They could have introduced him in the sequel which I am not interested in. David Kaye's voice as Areshmi was horrible. I couldn't get the dialogues at all. Why hugely built or powerful characters need to have such thick voices? It's like they are grunting gibberish. As I said, pathetic casting. Anyway, Eternal means forever but these characters die like humans.

If they could have written this as a series in mind, they could have explained each character and their back stories making us connect with them more, probably. Post Avengers, marvels looks like they are done and dusted.

The problem for me began with my OTT - Disney+. The subtitles are either in Indonesian or Malay. Not in English. I had to switch the audio to two other languages at times to get the dialogue. Sometimes the BG music took over the dialogue and sometimes it's just not clear. There were no subtitles for what those non-English speakers were saying nor for that speech impaired girl's sign languages.
62 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
Veritas9920 November 2021
The longest, boring, woke, PC sermon I have ever watched.

I am sorry I haven't left the cinema, like some people did, I won't get back my lost time.

They mixed super heroes with Bollywood, with forced jokes and some fight scenes, again Bollywood jokes, and resulted a disgusting stew.
104 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel's New Superhero Saga Is Visually Splendid But Lacks Standard Values and Pacing. Certainly, The Weakest Marvel Film Recently.
SAMTHEBESTEST3 November 2021
Eternals (2021) : Movie Review -

Eternals, a part of Marvel's phase four, is a complete new chapter in MCEU's book. Although the film has references given about running in the same time as other Marvel flicks such as 'Infinity War' and 'Endgame', it has eternal backdrop right from 5000 BC. I wonder, if they were really here when Thanos caused mass destruction, why the hell they didn't show up? Oops, Let me go soft from here. Eternals is a whole new Superhero saga which brings you a bunch of unseen caracters and if you have been following Marvel Cinematic Universe since the beginning then this could be a new series to look out for. But wait, can you hold onto your patience for some time? I mean about 160 minutes with 3D glasses beginning to give you a headache? If yes, then go for it.

MCU's recent projects have done great without theatrical release and notably, those came after 'Endgame'. 'Black Widow' and fresh fruit 'Shang Chi' earned back box office glory for them. I would have been happy to see them trying something nee after Endgan though. Something like what DC did with 'Joker'. Eternals does not depend on any such backdrop, it's a standalone product and maybe that's it will take some more time to create fan following. In the film, the Eternals, an immortal alien race, emerge from hiding after thousands of years to protect Earth from their evil counterparts, the Deviants. The screenplay here is not confusing at all but it is terribly slow. Marvel's Filmmaking may take a new turn from here as they have tried something calm this time, unlike super explosive narratives we saw in previous films. However, they couldn't try out something completely different from the trademark they carry which makes this film highly predictable.

The story written by Ryan Firpo and Kaz Firpo is definitely not flawless but it isn't lame either. Creating a new universe for old fans might have put extra burden and that can be noticed in the film. It has those typical jokes carrying childish humour which you have left behind, 15 years ago. In 156 minutes, Externals hardly makes you seat through tightly but when it does, it does it fine. That slow pick-up to the main plot was expected because they had to introduce new characters without giving early spoilers. It slows down the vehicle anyway, almost to the level when you feel like having a little nap without taking those glasses off.

Eternals stars an ensemble cast including Gemma Chan, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Lia McHugh, Brian Tyree Henry, Lauren Ridloff, Barry Keoghan, Don Lee, Harish Patel, Kit Harington, Salma Hayek, and Angelina Jolie. However, the performances aren't that great. Some characters don't even make any sense considering the kind of powers they have. Somewhere, the writing is also responsible for that. Indian fans, please do not melt when you see Indian faces but please laugh when they crack hilarious one-liners. Visually, Eternals is splendid. The IMAX experience makes it truly wonderful and appealing. Marvel's VFX team has provided them a much needed boost here.

No doubts, the whole thing is long. Sometimes it feels like, is it gonna take MCU's Phase Five to reach the End? That eternal longing certainly hurts the film but rest assured, it's a standard Marvel Film. Chloé Zhao puts all the elements demanded by Marvel Fans while she deliberately ignores unnecessary dramatic scenes. Was she driving towards daily-soap pulp? I think yes. This is 2021 and you are still using 2011 cliches to add some gags in the film? Seriously? I mean the film is made only for new kids or what? Let the fans decide that. They don't care much about content anyways because if they had, Marvel would have moved on from money-spinners to classic cinema long time ago. Nevertheless, Eternals is a grand visual treat which deserves to be watched only and only in 3D. Yes, Marvel Fans can flock into theatres to scream out for the new superheroes this Diwali while others can skip it for their own good.

RATING - 5/10*
439 out of 882 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.