Goodnight Mommy (2022) Poster

Goodnight Mommy Lite...
Xstal17 September 2022
What would you do, if your mother felt like new, didn't act the way she should, behaved like mother never would, like a stranger in the house, makes you feel like a small mouse, quite aggressive and quite cold, not like the one you knew of old.

Elias and Lucas struggle to come to terms with their mother when she re-joins them after a period of hospitalisation. Taking matters into their own hands they explore a variety of ways to unmask their doppelganger and expose the truth.

A remake of a far more powerful Austrian film that avoids super glue, cockroaches and cats, to settle for a more palatable finale that ultimately quenches the dynamic and leaves it somewhat neutered, albeit well performed and passable.
46 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A disappointing remake.
Sleepin_Dragon13 November 2022
Elias and Lucas arrive at their mother's house, to find her wearing a mask, and feeling very much like a stranger.

Once again, we get another remake, another remake that pales in comparison compared to its source material. The Austrian film is Chilling and unnerving, this was quite a pale remake.

No issues at all with the acting, competently performed, with a strong performance from the excellent Naomi Watts, and very good acting from the boys also.

They could have upped the horror vibe a few degrees, it just doesn't grip the viewer, for a so called horror, it's all too flat, and by the time something happens, the film is almost over.

Some good special effects, the nightmare sequences looked really good, but such horror moments were too few and far between.

Just watch the original, it's far superior.

5/10.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good remake, Original still better.
Horror_Flick_Fanatic16 September 2022
Goodnight Mommy is an American remake of Austrian horror film from 2014 that goes by the same name (Goodnight Mommy (2014) original title "Ich seh, Ich seh"

I usually don't like American remakes and much prefer the original source in most movies. But this one isn't bad. I think it was well casted. Naomi Watts plays the mom and the Crovetti brothers play Elias and Lucas.

The acting performances were very good. Naomi Watts is a phenomenal actress in everything she does. The Crovetti brothers did extremely well.

But I still feel the original film is the best of the two. In this American version, several scenes are missing from the original film. I think they might have done that to keep the runtime shorter. But unfortunately, this remake doesn't have the same bite and unnerving tension of the original. The original film really made you feel uneasy. This one seems to lack uneasiness, uncomfortable dread of what would happen.

Unfortunately, if you watched this one first, then you will know the plot twist and you might not experience the same enjoyment I did when I first watched the original years ago. But if you haven't seen neither of them, then watch the original first. The original is a proper horror tale.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pleasantly Surprised.
destiny_west21 September 2022
I was very hesitant about this film, being a fan of the original and having a general dislike for when American's remake international films.

I had put off watching it, but thought okay let's give it a go, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Naomi Watts as the Mother is absolutely amazing in this film.

The Crovetti brother's are great young actors and definitely held their own against Watts.

If you have not seen the original and are not aware of the plot/outcome. Then I would definitely give this version a watch.

It had great atmosphere, acting and it was very well shot. It was definitely worth the watch and I did not feel like I had wasted 90 minutes of my life, which seems to be happening more with horror films lately.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pointless remake of the 2014 Austrian original
paul-allaer24 September 2022
As "Goodnight Mommy" (2022 release; 92 min) opens, Elias and Lukas are dropped of at their mom's place, as dad hurries away after the drop-off. Much to their surprise, mom's face is in bandages, resulting from "a little procedure", per mom. Soon things feel very off. IS this really their mom? At this point we are 10 min into the movie.

Couple of comments: this is the second feature length from director Matt Sobel ("Take Me To the River"). Here he remakes the 2014 Austrian movie "Goodnight Mommy", and what we get is literally a remake, transposed to the US, nothing more, nothing less. If you've seen the Austrian original, as I did, you will almost certainly and inevitably ask yourself, like I did: "why???". There is simply no point to any of this. Some may say that it is a "faithful" remake. I call it a "pointless" and utterly unnecessary remake. The only reason that I watched it was that Naomi Watts stars as the "Mommy", not that you would know for much of the film (as of course her face is in bandages). If you have not seen the Austrian original, and are debating which version to see, by all means I strongly encourage you to check out the Austrian original, which is creepy in the best possible way. Whereas the Hollywood remake is not creepy, not scary, not fun. Not good, not bad. It just is.

"Goodnight Mommy" premiered about a week ago on Amazon Prime. Curiosity got the better of me and I finally gave in and watched it. I really shouldn't have. Of course don't take my word for it, and so whether you've seen the Austrian original or not, I'd readily suggest you check this out, and draw your own conclusion.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow. That Was A Creepfest.
UltraMaximal16 September 2022
Wowzer¡ I just watched this tonight. It's not a horror film but definitely a big ole thriller. I didn't know what to expect from one scene to the next as it was pretty intense 10 minutes into it.

All the acting is great. Even the children actors were good, which isn't usually the case. I found the adults acting to be on spot and stable through out. I especially liked how the police weren't portrayed as total jackomoes too. It was a pleasant surprise.

Then there is the ending. What the hell¡ The last 10 minutes totally caught me off guard as things were revealed and played out. A very nice job for this type of movie. I'd say watch it!
32 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I haven't seen the original.
Dodge-Zombie17 September 2022
So as I said above I have not seen the original movie on which this remake is based. I therefore cannot compare the two movies and so I can only judge this movie as an original concept.

So all that being said I didn't hate this movie but it annoyed me how very obvious the actual story was.

As we are all well aware with these kinds of movies there is always some twist or whatever and I got thie movies so quick it was insane.

That being said I thought some of the acting was ok.

The story also kind of left some questions answered but not in a way that I found were fully answered. The end also seemed rushed to a degree.

If you don't find yourself guessing plots and can just switch off to watch you may enjoy it more than I was able to.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'She's our mother, she has to love us, it's her job.'
TxMike19 September 2022
This is a very strange "Amazon Original" movie. I was anxious to see it because of Naomi Watts, I like her and she usually picks excellent projects. But my wife watched the trailer and decided she would skip.

Two boys, twins, are played by real-life identical twins, I figure they were about 10 or 11. Cute kids but pretty mediocre actors. Their father is bringing them back to mommy after a visit but she does not greet them on arrival. The boys go inside, the home is rural with a barn and fields, and eventually they find her with a full-face bandage-mask that closes in the back with Velcro. They are puzzled, they had no advance knowledge of this. And very soon, only about 17 minutes in, they see and hear things that make them suspect the woman isn't really their mother. And that is essentially what the movie is about, the boys trying to solve this riddle.

The last 20 minutes or so, and the ending, reveal a number of things, but not everything makes sense, when you think what was shown in the first half of the movie. When it ended I believe I figured out what was going on, a twist that seems to negate most of what was presented, but it is done in a way that isn't very clear.

So I can't rate this movie very high, the script and acting are just so-so, I watched the whole thing because I was curious to see where it was heading but when it was over I found it to be mostly unsatisfying. My wife made a good decision to skip.

At home, on Amazon Streaming movies.
18 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow! They got me!
niseynisey16 September 2022
Wow. This one was a surprise! I really enjoyed this one. It was in my suggested new releases so I gave it a shot! So glad I did. I just knew I knew everything that was going on, but found out I had it all wrong lol. The clues were all there, my brain just never figured them out. No silly jump scares. Just a good ole psychological thriller. I'll definitely have to rewatch this one to catch everything they laid out plain for me that I totally missed lol. Sounds like the original is even better than the remake so I'll check that one out too if it's on streaming. This is a good rainy Sunday movie.
32 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Remake Pulls Back on the Tension
zameerpro16 September 2022
It's not a shot-by-shot remake. Some visuals from the original (Austrian Version) remain, but they don't pack the same punch. While the twist in the remake did differ slightly from the original, it wasn't enough for Goodnight Mommy (2022) to stand more solidly on its own. The terror that's revealed in the Austrian version of the film is extremely exaggerated, but it gives the audience an idea of how obsessive familial ties can be and how dangerous ideas can take hold to shocking conclusions. Goodnight Mommy (2022)'s finale does not deliver that same shock.

Yes, the horror may be reduced. You can even nitpick at the twist that may be far from the original. Yet, Goodnight Mommy's surprisingly suspenseful journey and understated twist on the genre outweigh its faults. It's not especially memorable, but it's not bad either.
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumbed down American version
offshade16 September 2022
A shockingly dumbed down version for American audiences of an outstanding Austrian thriller, that lacks the impact, the brutality, the shock factor and the intelligence of its original. Instead you get the cinematic clichés, the sentimental overtones, the cheap musical dress-up and the spoon fed explanatory breakdown of a Hollywood style second class thriller. Watts is getting dangerously close to being typecast as the go-to actress for remakes, which can't be good for her legacy. The performances are fine overall nevertheless, are not sufficient however to even soften the crush that is the comparison between the two films. If you haven't seen any of them, do yourself a favour and watch the original without getting spoiled by this mediocre attempt of a crowd-pleaser.
36 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unnecessary remake
Royal_Horror20 September 2022
If they had the budget to cast Naomi Watts , why not making a new completely different film ?? Why remaking something that wasn't needed 😭

Ps: leave foreign films alone.

This film personally didn't have a substance since it was a shot for shot remake , it didn't stand out by itself . They could have some so much more especially with the torture scenes . Naomi watts tried her best to give a great performance ( which she did ) but her character was so plain , same with the kids. It was so obvious what was going on . And most importantly, this film wasn't as creepy as the original , which proves that sometimes foreign films are better left out alone.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From an American
ruthdean-4704929 September 2022
Why.. WHY must Hollywood absolutely obliterate foreign films? Do we have to take over everything? There was nothing wrong with the original from 2014. Creepy right off the bat, the Mother in the original barely had any lines and that alone put you on edge wondering why she was so mysterious. In this remake- Mother is watching movies, actively on the phone, feeling herself/dancing in front of mirrors- just STOP. Naomi Watts must have been hard up for some cash because what the hell.

0 creepiness. Just some bi**h mother being conceited. Was the original a total work of art? No, but compared to this dumpster fire it is.

It's also painfully obvious what the twist is gonna be from the beginning. At least, YES I WILL KEEP COMPARING IT, in the original you had no idea what was gonna happen or where the film was going. It just sucks- it wasn't even NEEDED. Damnit Hollywood, just leave well enough alone! I only gave it 2 stars in hopes people would see this and see it was a remake, thus gaining more attention for the original.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry Mommy
yusufpiskin16 September 2022
I can't stand the bad re-makes of movies. You are not making anything from scratch. A movie that has already been made needs to be reinterpreted and you can't do it either.

With two child actors who have proven their talents like the Crovetti sisters and a legendary actress like Naomi Watts.

First of all, Matt Sobel is the wrong choice for this movie. Even the careers of the child actors in the movie are better than him.

Due to the rules that American films must follow, two talented child actors could not push the script as much as the Schwarz brothers in the first film.

So there's an excuse for that, what about the rest of the movie?

It's a complete incompetence not to create the atmosphere of a movie that was made in 2014 with a budget of one-third of that.

Also, 2022 was not a good year for Naomi Watts, she kept coming up with bad movies.

Long story short, don't waste your time and watch the original movie that was translated in 2014... If you watched it, watch it again.
10 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very pleasant surprise! *no spoilers*
imissbeingakid16 September 2022
Toggling through the list of movies on Amazon Prime I discovered this film tonight. At the time of this review, the film was released to very little fanfare. The fact that Naomi Watts is listed in the list of credits peaked my curiosity as I had not seen her in any recent movies. Considering that the film only has 6 actors/actrices, I was not expecting too much. But the story was fantastic, containing plenty of twists and turns that will leave you guessing right up to the end. The director gives you plenty of hints of the path ahead and he leave it to the viewer to figure out what is exactly happening on screen. I was very pleasantly surprised to see the young actors, Nicholas and Cameron Crovetti, give such a believable performance! Seeing these young actors perform so well on screen makes me wonder what roles they will be offered in the future. It was great to see Naomi Watts be able to switch personalities, oscillating between the role of an evil, distanced mother to one who tenderly caresses her offspring. Her performance was quite good. I like how the director deliberately added a bit of pseudo horror elements to make the viewer guess what kind of genre of film he/she was really watching. I really hope other viewers will enjoy this film as well. I definitely did!
70 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dysfunctional family
kosmasp4 October 2022
No pun intended - if you have seen the original (movie from Austria, that was released 8 years ago), you probably should not watch this movie. Why did I watch it? Well I watch a lot - I am saying if you only watch one movie, make it the original! Having said that, the story is strong enough to carry through this remake and make it a good movie too.

The acting is really good and you may be annoyed or feel angry at times, but it does make sense. Maybe because I knew the original I was even more tuned in (sensitive) of the overall twist. The horror works - I feel like the US remake is a bit - well tries to pull punches at times. But I could be wrong, it has been quite a long time since I saw the original.

Seen worse movies - and for those who are not aware of the original and watched this before even reading reviews or informing themselves of the existence of the original, I assume had some fun/scary time with it. Good for you - and as you can see, I feel that is possible.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
remakes of films less than 10 years old = censorship
questiontheauthorities18 September 2022
There's no justification for a toned down version of an 8 year old film, this was clearly just made to fill a gap on the selection of amazon and fluff up a washed up actresses' career.

This version of the film watches like a heavily censored to the point of it was aired on cable tv with commercials and bad dubbing / editing was used to toned down the nude scenes and terror in favor of a more 'politically correct' version of the film.

Funny thing about politically correct horror movies is the only scary thing about them is what the censorship reflects about our real life society and what's happening to it. Now that's scary, because horror series / movies sure aren't these days.
20 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not unsuccessful but not as effective as original
violinjoe19 September 2022
There is little concern here with the American-ization of an open-ended European film by the production team. There isn't a lot different than the original in terms of plot and this movie tries to make it more "accessible." I was a bit skeptical to hear that there was a remake of this movie at all, the original which I loved. Make no mistake: both films are good. However, the original film successfully states its points and makes the viewer sort it out. This version attempts to make the viewer feel one way emotionally about both sides instead of allowing the viewer on their own. It is a different approach. Not unsuccessful but not as effective as the original.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You can guess the ending halfway through
bregund20 October 2022
Up until halfway through this film I would have given it eight stars, it was intriguing and it really had my attention. But at a certain point the film ends exactly the way you expect it to, nothing new or original here, just the same old recycled story that you've seen a dozen times already. I still don't understand why the mother was so mean and nasty, there is no explanation for it, it happens spontaneously. If she's that emotionally fragile, the father has no reservations about leaving the boys with her? Also, there's one scene which confirms that the mother is actually a monster, but it goes nowhere. I guess if you like watching child abuse by a mentally ill middle aged woman, go ahead and watch this.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the original!
brooksblueyez18 September 2022
I agree with most of the user reviews here... This version gives away the plot twist way too early. Also, it is a very watered down take on the original movie. It tries to bring around tension with somewhat gory scenes that all turn out to be dreams. The original wasn't like that at all!

The original was tense, on the edge of your seat watching, with superb performances by all the actors.

If you want to watch the Austrian original, which does have subtitles, look for it on the free app Tubi. That's where I saw it and rate it a superior movie.

I don't know why the filmmakers bothered with making this film.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've never watched the original...
LincolnSixEko7 November 2022
...but after watching this movie I think I'll give the original a shot as I've read it's pretty good.

In this one though, the acting was good and Naomi Watts did fine. The movie was kinda creepy here and there. I was anxiously waiting to see how it was gonna end, but that's when it all fell apart. The..."twist" was something I had in the back of my mind most of the movie and I was hoping that it wouldn't actually be true. But yeah, it kinda killed it for me. It just came off as dumb and a cheap shot.

Thankfully it was only a 90 minute movie and it did go by pretty fast. But it's 90 minutes I won't get back.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Naomi, the queen of remakes at it again.
philipphoerning16 September 2022
Goodnight Mommy is a remake of the 2014 film with the same international title(org. Ich seh, ich seh).

The original is a decent film but for my taste not spectacular or even to recommend. Five stars. Its decent.

Overall its a slow pasted psycho thriller about two boys noticing that something might be wrong about their mom as returned home from a face surgery. They question wether this person is actually their mom since her face is constantly covered and notice strange behavior. But as an audience we cant compare her now behavior to a previous, so we are forced to believet the boys. The whole story is more like a theatre play with three actors on huge cold stages filled with the sense of vastness and isolation.

Know that this film is an almost 1:1 adaptation of an Austrian movie. It plays on the Autrian country side in a wealthy modern mansion. Austrian directors and authors love the built up of a sadistic plots eg Michael Hanecke and Elfide Jelinek(Nobel Prize of Literature). This is not different.

But this view and built up is vastly different from the American and other cultures.

I can imagine if you have never been exposed to this style it might be off-putting and this 2022 adaptaion for an English speaking audience will have no other option other than to flop. I mean, this film went straight to streaming services instead of going to the cinema first.

Noami Watts is doing an okay job but nothing great, the boys cast is similar but in comparison to the orignal casts acting gig they fail hard.

Why should you watch it?

If you havent seen the original, have low expectations, can endure a slow-pasted movie that could be easily put into 40mins to tell the story, its for free, hate your self, and wanna brag/annoy people at parties that you watch "European" indie movies(dont menation you actually saw the adaptation).

Why dont watch it? Everything else.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lack of spark and punch. Lack of any real thrill. Not bad, but kinda tedious...
imseeg19 September 2022
The bad: this movie is a bit lacking in spark and punch. And in thrill.

Mind you, this is not a horror movie at all. Nor is it thrilling in any kind of way. There is some decent suspense going on alright, but that's on a children's level kind of suspense.

Not any good? There is really good photography, with decent acting performances by all the actors involved. Viewed upon it as a children's movie it is well made. Viewed upon it as a horror movie for grown ups, it is a bit of a letdown...

The bad: this movie is a bit lacking in spark and punch. And in thrill.

2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
figured it out about an hour in
phenomynouss18 September 2022
Maybe I'm smarter than I think I am sometimes, or maybe the film was intentionally hinting at it at the point in time when I figured it out (particularly as the film started to become less and less subtle about it soon after) but the way the revelation is treated leads me to think they weren't intending it to be something to be figured out within the first hour.

On top of that, it even pulls the same trick towards the end, in such a way that I figured it out like 2 minutes before it happened.

For the sake of the film being a fun enough watch, I won't say anything further about it.

It's a decent enough film of the pseudo-supernatural Capgras Delusion style "Something has happened and mommy is someone else now".

My single biggest issue with it is that, possibly hinging on the ending, there are so many instances of deliberate confusion and arguing between Elias and his mother that takes place that could so easily be resolved by someone, particularly the mother, just shutting up, listening to the words Elias is saying instead of the way he is saying them, and then responding accordingly.

As a non-spoiler example: If my friend confronts me angrily and says "Did you steal my money?" and I did not, I should say "No I didn't steal your money." I might resolve the situation, or at least defuse it.

If my friend confronts me angrily and says "Did you steal my money?" and I did not, and I say "How dare you accuse me of that? Who do you think you are?" I am not answering their question and I am only making the situation worse.

Every time a situation like that happens in the film, the mom picks the 2nd option, thus making the situation worse every time.
7 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing but a cash grab
mrashtastic8922 September 2022
This review is being written by someone who hasn't even seen the 2014 Austrian original, but now after watching this American remake I'm definitely more inclined to watch it, but 2022's remake of this movie is the definition of "why did this remake need to exist?" I'm still asking that question, even though I haven't even seen the original.

From the opening scenes onward it's painfully obvious where things are going, I found myself being particularly irritated by almost every character, especially the boys, this movie fails at the one thing horror films should be good at, it isn't scary, it's not mysterious, not one but suspenseful, and just not very scary.

The acting was average at best, especially from the kids, I thought Naomi Watts did a pretty good job and she hard carried, with a terribly unsatisfying ending, the ending to this film makes almost every plot point introduced earlier fall flat on its face and just leaves the viewer with so many unanswered questions.

I'm gonna give Goodnight Mommy a D.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.