Hoaxed (2019) Poster

(2019)

Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free
imanamerican-7049927 January 2019
This film makes a very compelling case that all people, regardless of ideology, are victims of fake news. This is a cinematic masterpiece that will transcend time. I honestly didn't expect this from Cernovich. I expected it would be good but this documentary blew me away. I'm uncomfortable calling it a documentary because the pace, editing, visuals, and attention to detail feels like a cinematic experience. The film is two hours long but somehow holds my attention throughout. I'm on my second viewing and I am noticing the very meaningful scores, shots, edits, and images chosen for each scene. Brilliant.

In summary, a diverse cast people, from all walks of life, dissect the anatomy and strategy of fake news through historical and contemporary examples. The message the film leaves you with is one etched on the building behind Prof. Alberto Martinez:

Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The mechanism for control of the masses revealed
bhap-096793 February 2019
There is no left or right there is only freedom and tyranny. Truth and lies. This movie spells it out for everyone. It may be a hard pill to swallow but knowing the truth in the end will liberate you mind. Time to leave the matrix.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A two-hour documentary that you didn't want to end
Fozzywig29 January 2019
As someone who has been fascinated with 'Yellow Journalism' and 'Fake News' for a while. I can tell you that this masterful piece will reach you, no matter your level of understanding or your political affiliation, Bush, Trump, Clinton, Obama, or your preferred news source NYT, CNN, Fox.

This isn't a film to convince you to 'take a side,' it is one that should convince you to seek truth. Lies have been told on both sides. As a photographer who has gone to protests, I can attest to the fact that there are such things as professional protesters, that there are many who don't even know why they are there, and so many, who will do just about anything for the camera.

Technically, this documentary is beautiful, the cinematography is stellar, and even the transitions feel like carefully chosen accents to move the story along.

For families, I will say that there's some swearing in it, but that is real life.

There is only one truth, and morality is key.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Surprised
silversurfer-985601 February 2019
I am not a fan of Alex Jones or Mike Cernovich, but this was presented very well. It spoke to the truth of fake news and media that have been caught countless times but have never owned up to it. How they attack anyone that speaks contrary to their political agenda. When it is said that fake news is the enemy of the people, it is true. Journalists and fake news media betrayed the American people when they broke the trust and let political agendas distort the facts.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best documentary I have ever seen
jan-fredrik3 February 2019
I had very high expectations for this movie, as I had seen a lot of great reviews for it. It still exceeded my expectations and I can truly say this is the best documentary I have ever seen.

The most powerful scene is the ending by the philosopher Stefan Molyneux's enactment of Plato's Allegory of the Cave.

It looks like a $10 million budget documentary, but was made by a tiny fraction of that. This says a lot about the passion of this great team. This is touched by God.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Truth Hurts
czaverdinos6 February 2019
Since the beginning of civilization, leaders & governments have always tried to control the population. In the age of mass communication, the media used to be the gatekeepers of what society was to think, was to believe, was to behave and so on. In the age of social media and internet, the lie has been exposed. Nevertheless, the gatekeeper of media and establishment, will do anything to remain in power. Where lies become truth and truth become lies. Mike Cernovich exposes this lie. How for years, the main stream media have controlled a population through manipulation and lies. In the name of power.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must watch!
isaacsteward-017411 February 2019
This is a balanced and fair look at news media and what happens out there in the interest of promoting ideology rather than reporting facts. Excellent work on this film and you will not find a better doc on this topic right now.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing conservatives don't already know but..
davedroid0729 January 2019
I will give credit for this documentary ending on a positive note of calling for peace & unity. I also give credit to Cernovich for covering the 'Pizza Gate' investigation. At the end of the day it doesn't matter where you are on the political spectrum, there needs to be a return to basic fact checking & critical thinking. This documentary covers the issue of 'fake news' broadly, and the motivations of the main stream media and how long this has been going on for ie: Operation Mockingbird. My only irk is it does not go into enough depth on the issues it covers
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A balanced and fair condemnation of fake news coming from the media
michael-183633 February 2019
As someone who consumes a lot of media from Youtube and Twitter, there wasn't much revelatory information for me in this documentary (although I know many people to whom it would all seem unbelievable). What is new is the polished way the team are able to present an array of undeniable evidence from sources that are all over the political spectrum in one cohesive package.

The most memorable moment of the film comes when the directors subvert our expectations of two seemingly stereotypical BLM activists in a thoughtful and illuminating way, teaching us all the lesson that if we do away with the filter of the mainstream news and start interacting with each other as fellow citizens, there's a real chance common ground can be found.

Overall, it was an enjoyable film that will either confirm much of what you already knew or suspected, or, if you're a consumer of mainstream news sources, may just call in to question everything you ever thought you knew.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Opens your eyes to the propaganda in mainstream news
This movie doesn't hold back on revealing the lies that mainstream news have spread and truth that they have skewed or cover up, this movie is both entertaining and Informative, but you'll never know that because mainstream news will (ironically) call this movie a propaganda
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Live Free or Lie
rmead-005985 February 2019
This is a powerful film combining investigative journalism with first-hand accounts (victims) of Fake News.It's beautifully edited, and tackles a taboo topic with an objective, but unyielding, approach. "Hoaxed" reveals a profound truth about the present and a warning for the future.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great concept and film making
jordan-chambers626 February 2019
I thought this film was really good, especially for a documentary. It keeps you engaged throughout without any dragging issues. I thought there were a few points that may seem to cater to more center right issues and Trump, but the makers also mentioned they would reach out to people across the political spectrum and only got responses from the ones actually in the movie. It is kind of scary how much we have been led on by media (I didn't know about Duranty), in order to promote an agenda. It has benefited both left and right, but mainly the media ratings. I've watched it twice now and if you hate hearing people that are "right-leaning" check out Cassie Jaye's interview early on and Hawk Newsome's at the end. Should let you know how people are being manipulated by the media.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spastic Honkey Paranoia
jgspence14 February 2019
This is nothing more than propaganda for delicate white men terrified of the world around them.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'Hoaxed' will rewire your perception of media
aarontanason12 February 2019
The MSM body count is arguably in excess of 100 million people.

Until normal people on the 'Left' and 'Right' voluntarily update their perception of how the legacy media functions, and the lengths it will go to survive the independent media revolution, it is not the least bit hyperbolic to say we run the risk of completely destroying ourselves should we fail to recognize the war that is upon us.

'Hoaxed' is a true masterpiece. Rent it, or buy it, then do everything in your power to spread it far and wide.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's true, they lied to us!
marcusjguzman19 February 2019
From beginning to end this documentary gives many different personal accounts on how the Fake News Media has hoaxed us into believing the narratives they push, abstaining from truth. Cernovich and company, as well as the many interviewees, do a great job of illuminating the fact that what we see on television are half-truths meant to manipulate our thoughts and emotions. The timing for this film could not have been better. If you rented this instead of buying, you cheated yourself out of owning this masterpiece.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HOAXED deserves to be seen by every American, without regard to political orientation.
lajarvik-217 February 2019
Filmmaker Mike Cernovich couldn't have hoped for a better narrative to frame release of HOAXED than recent news about Jussie Smollett, Nathan Phillips and Covington Catholic High School. With "Fake News" in the news once more, Cernovich seems to have perfect timing.

On one level, HOAXED explores the history of media hoaxes with a lawyer's precision, going back to the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution in the Johnson Administration, following developments (including "Pizza-gate") up to the Trump Administration.

Cernovich's, Scooter Downey's and John du Toit's best material is about what was once called the "alt-Right." HOAXED puts faces to names that have been denounced in mainstream media, so viewers may make up their own minds.

I came to admire Cernovich for his stand for freedom of speech with Milo and Pam Geller at UC Berkeley in September 2017 (an event Ann Coulter declined to attend). He stood up for freedom of speech then, and he has stood up for freedom of speech once again in this film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unlike most documentaries, entertaining and extremely informative! I want this on DVD!
charandsher14 February 2019
This will open your eyes if you're in the dark on the propaganda being pushed by our government. How far back and how deep the corruption goes is shocking! Everyone needs to see this.
The Biggest RED PILL
dewreck13 February 2019
Greatest documentary of the modern era . From a non bias view the film exposes the deadly bias of the media today. Easy to follow and comprehend. All fact no theories. If you want to "WAKE" up your family and friends from the sheep trance they are in, this film will get get them started to see how the REAL world operates. By the end of the film you will be emotional in some form. After the film you will see how your life changed forever.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most important film ever.. Must see for everyone: the left, the right, whoever...
staminanightblade13 February 2019
Asked a friend if he had seen hoxed after a month or so of me raving about it non stop.. He said no because he read online it was a republican movie.. That is sooooo incorret.. This film is more for democrats than republicans.. Cervovich is a free thinking centerist who isnt afraid to upset the left or the right. Dont belive what the media says about a film exposing the media. See it for yourself. Could be the most important film ever. As the media is out to get us all. And this film could bring both sides together to defend against them and their wicked ways. No more lies! Spread the word! Save the world! Hoaxed Movie Dot Com!!!!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All media is narrative, and you likely have been duped
junsonschan13 February 2019
If you're a conservative, you're no stranger to being smeared by fake news. Whether it's deliberate withholding of information damaging to democrats, or smears against conservatives, our ideas are more or less suppressed then oppressed. We're blamed for hate hoaxes to make us look bad and when we expose them, the fake news just simply ignores the hoax.

If you're a liberal, you too have been the victim of hoaxes. You've been duped into supporting big tech, wars, and of course, the 2016 election where you've been told Hillary Clinton had anywhere from a 70%-100% chance to win the election. Yes, one site I forget which (ny times or huffingtonpost) said Hillary was a 100% chance to win.

We all have our differences but for the sake of America, we must learn to put that aside to and do what is best for all Americans. The powers that be DO NOT want that to happen because very evil rich and powerful that are in control have a very vested interest in keeping everyone divided an angry.

Hoaxed is your first step into see the world of lies that the fake news media has been manufacturing since the beginning of "journalism". Remember, all media is narrative. The question you have to ask yourself is, "Who benefits from that?"
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fair critique of the news
adam-2526613 February 2019
I went to the NYC premiere, and in advance of that I was expecting that it would be biased, and slanted in a way that I wouldn't feel comfortable - and if that occurred I would have left the showing. I've supported great journalism for years which has covered everything from Agri, seeds, climate change, FDA, carcinogens in everyday household and cosmetic products, etc., and one of my mentors is also top journo - so i certainly don't mind being challenged and re-evaluating things as new info reveals itself. I've always held a grudge about the lies that got us into Iraq war, but have difficulty explaining that to people. I have a great memory, most others don't The movie documented that elegantly, as they also did with the media devices that may be contributing to our continued presence in syria. I actually saw the movie twice. Once at the premiere, and then asked my sister and her husband and my wife to watch it. I was very interested in their thoughts so beforehand i didn't give them any info that might affect their opinion, i just said 'watch this'. They enjoyed it - in that its production quality is high and the narrative is at a good pace and kept interesting. They also thought it was great open critique of the media and news. I recommend it
Fantastic
chryslerguy_0113 February 2019
The premise of this film is really nothing new to conservatives and libertarians it does present itself in a way that makes you completely understand the concept as well as the reasons why the media is lying to you. Overall it's very well done and very specific examples are listed about incredible levels of bias that our media and "journalists" espouse.
Learned a lot!
rctfreeman-1707213 February 2019
Great film. Enjoyed from start to finish. I learned a lot. There were events that I had never heard about before, and others I had forgotten. Very interesting!!
Everything They Told You Is A Lie
smisanthropy4 February 2019
Hoaxed is a glimpse of what actual "fair and balanced" reporting might look like in a world where the media isn't out to declare winners and losers, spreading lies and ruining lives on the left, right, and center. The cast of characters is entertaining and varied, with representation across the political spectrum. Interviewees are given the opportunity to speak in their own voice, so you see who they actually are, not who the media wants you to see.

On the technical side, this is a hugely impressive documentary, especially for the budget. It looks like a million bucks- or several. Your snobbiest film buddy will be impressed.

Rhetorically, this film is meant to be persuasive to consumers of mainstream media, so be sure to share it with the Fox News and CNN-watchers in your life.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Truth And Nothing But The Truth
SamHoustonChase5 February 2019
Intelligent, insightful, and informative - "Hoaxed" exposes the man (media) behind the green curtain controlling the world you think you know. To describe this movie as "thought-provoking" would be an understatement. Take solace in the uplifting ending, because "Hoaxed" leaves its audience with an unsettling (but much needed) dose of reality, as viewers realize they're not in Kansas anymore.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.