Kabir Singh (2019) Poster

(2019)

Need to be open to creativity
rahulgautamadd22 June 2019
Ok, Kabir Singh is not your picture perfect protagonist and neither the director tried to show him in that light.

It's about a guy who's not perfect, has anger issues but has fallen in love and doesn't want to move on after he's hurt. For him, she is everything.

It's not your KJO type movie wherein the protagonist is a hero who won't do a bad thing, his families are happy with him, his neighbors are happy and the entire college or city is happy with him.

It's a story about a flawed person which is totally normal in real life. Don't we have such friends or colleagues or people around us who we may not like but they are like that? So, if you feel it's patriarchal and misogynistic, it is but it is that story about that man! Period.

Through his perspective, we realized he was pure and didn't believe in casteism that comes in the way of love. Have we not come across that? Do we not become partial to other castes? My own marriage had almost become a victim of casteism but we held our own and now happily married for many years.

We saw a full circle of Kabir who was a sensitive child in love with a doll but was also possessive. We saw how he became protective for a new girl in college and she being a docile, submissive girl also fell in love with him. She loved him. It's not like he forced himself on her.

He got hurt, did wrong things but still was a man of morals and came out clean when needed. He acknowledged himself that's the only thing he liked about himself.

His coming of age while talking to his father when the latter was down in his life, shows his character development wonderfully written by Vanga. I'm his fan now.

Lots of hints are thrown out in open here's a guy with so many issues is the topper of his college, did what the society wanted of him which is to be topper, study well, be a doctor but then he didn't give a damn about what he wanted to do in his personal life and what others thought of him.

Other things he did when he did while womanizing he was broken and hurt. People when hurt deal with their issues differently. While some throw their phones on the floor in anger, others may just tell themselves to get up and go. Was he right? It's about his story and life, not ours.

Need to view that story from that perspective and feel his pain and disagree where you didn't like it. But you can't say it's glorifying his wrong deeds.

Was Padmavat glorifying Khilji's work or GoT glorifying nudity and butchering?

I loved this new type of love story. The team worked hard and I loved all the characters in the film especially his friend Shiva - a true real raw friendship.

Kiara was beautiful and could be the next big sensation as Disha did after MS Dhoni.

Shahid can finally be sure his father is proud of his work. Never felt it was him and not Kabir for a second.

Request to the viewers to not be judgemental and watch it for what it is. Mind you, you'd not be disappointed. Peace!
123 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't miss it
vermaayush-7851021 June 2019
Guys it does have the same flaw as that of Arjun Reddy which shows patriarchy nd it can't be neglected. But guys u must admit that the performance and the journey wise this movie is one of the best of 2019 FOR SURE!!!!
112 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
watched it cuz of negative reviews. Loved it.
kaalaInsaan21 June 2019
People with bias are reviewing the movie. Watch it, it's mind blowing. Great acting, awesome music scores and really awesome direction. Cheers!
94 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't dig for political correctness here!
hidaskcjabbar21 June 2019
The ones who bashes this movie in the name of political correctness is dumb. It is just a movie and there is not much glorification done on Kabir Singh's character here.

Admit the fact that a main character of a movie need not be a hero who inspires everyone and shoots inspirational quotes!(and save the heroine from fire or grasping the hand on a moving train)

The story is told from Kabir Singh's perspective (read the movie title, duh!!) and very much everything else is irrelevant speaking of the actresses perspective or role.

And the funny part is the critics who gave 3/5 for Student of the year 2 and Race 3 are talking about political correctness and rating this movie 1.5/5. Sad!
101 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch
aliabde20 June 2019
The story is heart touching. The acting of Shahid Kapoor is remarkable. Good sense of humor too in the entire film, which keeps ppl laughing through out the film.
57 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch
nickstop21 June 2019
In 2019 best love story movie. Sahid kapoor performed very great. I love the cinematography and directions are so cool. Most people really like this movie by acting, directing also musically it's great. Thanks to the team who brings this movie this great movie.
46 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After a long time i found a movie which is toching to my heart
surajbiswal-7960122 June 2019
What a movie & what a powerful acting by sahid kapoor. This movie was awesome i watched it 2 times still i loved it & want to go for once more time
45 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one time watch , miss-guiding
pranavghorpade28 June 2019
In my opinion i think its mis guiding to young generation to live only the way you want., force to somebody to love , dis respecting others feeling, what they trying to say too much of druggs not harming human body ? its harm only bit!
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unorthodox Movie with an Orthodox ending.
nikhillariya22 June 2019
U can't get better than this from this guy.. this guy who has been an absolute crazy.. this guy who has done hell of an acting.. this guy who is Shahid Kapoor. Kabir Singh is an absolute Ripper.
34 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A slur on responsible film making
mbhaswar26 June 2019
A couple of disclaimers first. I have not seen the original Telegu superhit Arjun Reddy. I am also a huge fan of Shahid Kapoor and believe that he has been underrated as an actor and fairly unlucky at the box office. Even as I pen this review, "Kabir Singh" is racing towards a Rs 100 crore collection in its fifth day of release and is Shahid's biggest hit ever. Glad that his moment under the sun has come. Yet deeply disturbed that it has come on this abhorrent vehicle. The vile characterisation of Kabir Singh totally eclipses the other admirable thespians and brilliant performances from all. True that some of Shahid's earlier successful essays were on flawed individuals; in Kaminey and in Haider. Yet Kabir Singh embodies perhaps the most repugnant excrement of society; the embodiment of a man as predatory, uncouth, feral, destructive and the worst misogynist beyond imagination. He kisses without consent, slaps his lady love and abuses her parents, chases his maid servant for breaking a glass, warns students that he owns the girl, overdoses on substance abuse and his unfettered testosterone; the dehumanisation is sickening. Unrequited love? In between alcohol and drugs and pining for the woman he has lost, he satisfies his rampant libido with multiple emotionless encounters and shoves down ice cubes in his pants when no coupling is possible. Is this the narcissistic and revolting Devdas of modern times? Dark characters are fine as artistic expressions as long as their denouement is destruction; you walk away with the lesson of what not to be. Kabir Singh presents no such respite. He is miraculously redeemed sans any evidence of withdrawal symptoms and uphill emotional battles or any other scars as evidence. Artistic licenses have to be hemmed within social mores; responsible film-making and censorship require to evaluate dramatic freedom with the touchstone of societal impact. I was aghast to see the youth of today; men and women alike celebrate this noxious toxicity in abandon at the theatres. Kabir Singh has regressed us in years as we sit in the modern Colosseum salivating and cheering when the animal mauls his women, his friends, his family in hedonistic abandon. As I walked out the audience in a state of shock and utterly apologetic that I am an Indian male, I heard frenzied whispers from a teenager swaggering out, that a Tamil remake "Varmaa" is already on its way and would be a must-watch! Kabir Singh may be a coronation for commercial success and histrionics; yet it will remain a scathing epitaph for responsible cinema.
45 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If I could give it negative stars I would
crrazybrownie24 June 2019
This movie sucked. Too many flaws to count and half of it is just songs playing while shahid Kapoor walks, drinks, smokes, sleeps and talks for 3 HOURS!!!!. I really wish good actors like Shahid Kapoor would pick just good movies for themselves like Kaminey and Udta Punjab.
55 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible film
geetasheth28 June 2019
Stupid, destructive and pointless story. Completely irrelevant and ine does hot understand what the film is trying to say. Disrespects a noble profession like Medicine. Sets a bad example for young people. I couldn't wait for the novice to get over.
23 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kissing scenes + cursing words + macho love story = happy Indian audience
ump-9890630 June 2019
The entry of sahid kapoor in the movie: a bearded man with goggles enters a room while smoking a cigarette. And what happens in the movie theater; everyone starts clapping & whistling for the scene.

The movie has not started yet, the audience has no clue about how the movie is going to unfold itself but they are already hyped up.

If you take away all the cursing, kissing, smoking & drinking scenes away from the movie, then you are left with nothing but a very boring love story about a man who has all the guts to destroy himself but not enough guts to move on fairly with life after a failed love story.

Now if you tell an Indian audience about this then he will definitely reply, "but bro! Kissing, smoking & cursing scenes are that which makes a movie cool."

And I stop writing this review. For whom should I write this review? Hopeless.
89 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you kidding me!???
ambareen-8214425 June 2019
Love story of a self destructive abusive misogynist and his doormats. The end. How a movie like this can be made in today's day and age is beyond me. Unfortunately it appeals to the masses because we breed such "angry young men" in our patriarchal society who don't see anything wrong with the message this gives out.
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Height of Misogyny and no script.
abhijeetparihar-0290622 June 2019
Guys don't fall for the positive reviews, those are probably paid reviews.

First of all there is no script, so please keep your brain at home when you come to watch the movie. The height of misogyny in this movie is unreal. A lot of the scenes are absolutely cringeworthy and made me super uncomfortable. The audience needs to pause and contemplate our sensibilities of right and wrong.

This movie does not provide any justification for the vile and entitled behaviour of the main character and shows kiara's character as a submissive woman with no voice of her own and moreover someone who falls for the bullying Kabir singh despite all the things he does to her, kabir singh has zero understanding of 'consent'. By encouraging movies like these we are fueling bollywood to create such movies.

It is nonsense movie with no sense of direction. This movie is the worst I have ever seen and trust me I have seen some pretty terrible movies. There is no explanation given for the scenes and songs start playing randomly.

If there was a strike to ban the movie i would lead it. Most movies take your breath away, this movie took my whole god damn brain.
52 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie
gabhinandan-5002321 June 2019
Kabir Singh is A fabulous movie. The way Sahid Kapoor acted in the movie was very nice. He was wonderful in all the scenes, I also liked the music also very much. I am sure that this movie is going to rule out the box office.
43 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misogyny at it's finest
saumyaahuja30 June 2019
Worst movie of all times. How could one even glorify such kind of misogyny male toxism sexism male chauvinism and patriarchy in a country which is already a victim of such social issues and trying hard to come out of it. There are brainless people idealizing such toxic love. Do the producers directors writers and so called actors have any kind of social responsibility?
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this movie. Best movie of 2k19 fabulous castings
happysalvi22 June 2019
Fantastic superb Paisa vasool movie Jao dekh k aao movie Best character for movie
36 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tries too hard
ckhan2523 June 2019
Firstly, people please be aware that this is not a family film in any shape way or form. This film should only be watched by adults (do not take your kids).

I thought the movie was strictly ok, like reviewers who don't understand people giving this film a low mark, likewise I don't understand how people are giving this movie such a high mark.

The movie is totally over the top, in reality a man like Kabir Singh would not last two seconds in the real world but in this movie people seems to attracted to his anger issues. There is a scene where he asks for his girlfriends hand in marriage is a total joke, no one reacts this way in their to be in-laws house.

People who can relate to Kabir are weak, life is full of challenges, a human falls and gets back 1000 times in life, but our ultra intelligent Kabir, topper of the class goes into meltdown when he doesn't get the girl he wants. I wasn't too sure why he went into meltdown was it because he truly felt lost without the girl or was it because his arrogance was broken.

In conclusion the movie is actually about a weak individual who drinks and takes drugs because he didn't get what he wanted. The script has its highpoints but on the whole badly written dialogues, acting wise all actors tried their best but the movie just did not work for me.

One final point, why is it that in most recent Bollywood films the hero has a bum bandit sidekick who kisses the ass of the hero no matter what the hero does or says. Stop it Bollywood, it pathetic. In reality a person like Kabir Singh would have very few people supporting him.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bollywood Brace yourself-Kabirsingh is on duty!
thzizmellempudi21 June 2019
#Kabirsingh #KabirsinghMovie

Brilliant performance by shahidkapoor.Kiara just lived in Preethi's character especially in that climax scene. Sandeep Reddy Vanga recreated same impact with his kickass direction and smart writing. Even though I watched #ArjunReddy more than 7 times still that BGM by Harshvardhan Rameshwar gave me Goosebumps-

Bollywood brace yourself because Kabirsingh is going to rule Boxoffice for sure.Get your appointments today with our Dr.KabirSingh. Those who are asking who did best Vijay or Shahid- I am being Honest here: In emotional scenes Shahid just nailed it.

P.S -Congrats to entire team of #Kabirsingh -Pride of TFI #SandeepReddyVanga🔥
54 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie
yeshaj7 July 2019
Finally watched Kabir Singh yesterday to see what all the fuss was about! Believe me I have never watched this kind of disaster in my life! I have never slept in movie theatre but Kabir Singh successfully made me do it! One of the worst movie I have ever watched! I can't understand what people are really liking in this movie!!! Exactly which part of movie??? Shahid Kapoor's acting? No! that was overacting! Story of movie? There's nothing new in story! It's a common love story! Direction? Total disaster! Kabir Singh don't deserve the ratings it has got! I would give a half star for music out of whatever digit you want to put there!
22 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wish there was a negative rating
afnanforyou24 June 2019
The success of this movie justifies Indian patriarchal society. Toxic masculinity at its worst. Misogynist. It represents Indian society. Well done SOBs.
52 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Totally disgusting
Deepakkaushik14321 June 2019
Because Shahid's character -fights with a fellow sportsman for a minor tussle
  • makes an announcement that the girl is hers without her consent
  • in the first few scenes with the female character he literally forces her to be with him
  • kisses the girl without her consent
  • disrespects a girl sitting along with the female lead
  • when the girl needed her the most he was out on alcohol, drugs
  • he never really tries to win the hearts of the girl's parents and when they disagree to their marriage, he tries to threaten them
  • he is not sincere about his profession as a doctor ( no medical ethics)
  • disrespects his brother and friends when they try to stop him from alcohol
  • roams around sleeping with girls were as the female lead manages her pregnancy,profession all alone even without any of her or his family members
  • slaps the girl without any significant reason
  • harasses his Juniors,maid
Any many such things...it is one of the most disturbing movie I have seen in a long time And to all the guys or girls who liked this movie, trust me you will never ever want to be with a person like him and we really should not appreciate Such kind of movies. There are so many better ways to express your love for any individual
107 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mind blowing acting of shahid
Archilsingh21 June 2019
Superb movie must watch keeps u entertained throughout Superb acting Superb script
33 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Imagine Kabir is ur brother or ur sister's bf...
rohitsxna-5987024 June 2019
Imagine ur fmly growing up watching and taking inspiration frm this kinda movies...U will understand why I gave jst 1 star.
25 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.