Purl (2018) Poster

(2018)

It's okay....and will likely appeal more to women.
MartinHafer15 February 2019
I am a guy and because of that, I might not be the best person to review this film from Pixar. Why? Because it clearly was intended for women and not surprisingly the director and executive producer are women. It's a metaphor for women fitting into a male-dominated work force and I am sure a lot of folks will love it. Me...I was mildly impressed.

The story is about a ball of yarn who comes to work in a company where all the employees you see are cookie-cutter men---who all look similar and act similar and are all a part of the old boys network. The yarn is made to feel out of place until Purl eventually learns to fit in by changing who it is. What's next? See the film.

The animation was good....not great. The story was good. My only serious complaint was cursing in the film....I don't think it needed that. Apart from that I did enjoy it but felt the message was a bit heavy-handed and obvious....but perhaps for many it isn't so obvious that women deserve a place with the men...and they shouldn't need to change who they are to get it.
16 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
virtues
Kirpianuscus21 June 2020
Its virtues - the situation is familiar for many viewers, the desire to be accepted by mates is not new, the eccentric of presence of balls is just nice and the end is a comfortable one. So, in essence, this is all. Except the delicate temptation, after its end, to discover knitting.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very simple, lacks in pretty much every department
Horst_In_Translation14 February 2019
This is "Purl", a new American animated short film that runs for slightly under nine minutes and was directed by Kristen Lester, who is also one of the many writers, surprisingly many for such a short film. It is a Pixar work and while I would like to say I am disappointed by it, I am not really because Pixar did not impress me too much with their recent short film works. Also their Oscar nominee, probably the category's winner, is fairly mediocre gently-speaking. But back to this one here. es it is full of stereotypes. The best example is really how every single male charcater is exchangable and they are basically just included to show how they are all sexist and misogynist. So the best decision by the female protagonist (a ball of wool, how creative to pick a female-centered hobby and the color pink) would have been to look for a job where not everybody is against their gender. or are we supposed to say it is not against men because they startg to like her at some point? I don't know. Another thing I really didn't like was how the female character style-wise looked so completely different in terms of the animation compared to everything else. Well, except the second female character, the yellow one, later on. Story-wise it is pretty simple and superficial too and honestly what was Pixar's biggest strength, namely the emotions it evokes in the audiences, falls completely flat here. The moment when she steps out of the elevator feels contrived and fake like basically everything else about this movie. That also includes the epilogue-like happy ending. And the really nonsensical fact that while she is ignored and unappreciated by everybody early on, she is the big star all of a sudden afterward when she changes her style. Very strange. That's not how it goes and has nothing to do with reality. By the way talking about reality, a new colleague is not discriminated against right away or just left alone with no clue where to go, even if the staff are 100% men, which really isn't the case anywhere anymore either at least in a company that has over 3 or 4 employees. Yeah this was pretty disappointing. You could say that it was Lester's first filmmaking effort as the (wo)man in charge, but that does not really justify or excuse anything because the problem here is hardly the craft, but the almost offensive material, even if there are other weaknesses too. I hope if she gets in charge of a full feature film for Pixar or any other big animated movie company, she will step things up considerably. This one here gets 2 stars out of 5, which is still a bit on the generous side in my opinion and a negative recommendation. Don't watch.
26 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All very okay
bob the moo9 March 2019
Purl is a ball of pink wool who takes an office job and finds herself in a very male dominated world - and very much on the outside of it at the same time. The short sees her deal with that by adopting charastics of the others in her workplace, but perhaps to the point where she loses herself.

In terms of message, this is a very simple short film. It is soft and accessible, and in being this way it manages to make the message and solution seem that way too. At its core the 'be yourself' message is a good one, but in making it gender-based and very much a real problem in the workplace, then it feels like it is doing it a disservice by simplifying it so much - perhaps it could have been less on the nose in what it did and still achieve the same message? It is fine though, and all very 'nice' but it is hard to feel more than this for it. The Pixar animation is as good as you'd expect, although the animation of Purl herself stands out by feeling like a lesser quality (not just a different style).

So, it is fine - nothing more than that, and only that at its best.
3 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't connect with me
Gordon-116 March 2021
The story is a little sad because if the toxic work environment portrayed. I couldn't connect with it.
Terrible!
digitalbeachbum4 May 2021
I get what they were trying to do, but it fails on multiple levels of execution. The animation is typical for Pixar, but the writing is terrible.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heavy-handed, yet Enjoyable!
AhmedSpielberg9921 February 2019
It's neither original nor smart, and has a misguided message. But the animation is fine, and the short itself is quite enjoyable to watch, to be honest.

(5/10)
5 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fascinating Commentary on The Animation Industry's Boys Club
elicopperman30 May 2020
Given that the Pixar SparkShorts are highly personal from their individual creators, Purl stands out as a surprisingly fascinating commentary. Not only does it satirize the workforce's flaws of discrimination towards women, but it might actually be a subtle jab at the boy's club mentality within the animation industry. The film tells the story of an earnest yarn ball named Purl who gets a job at a fast-paced male-centric company, thus forcing her to fit in with the group as something she is not. If that doesn't symbolize a lot of women's roles working in the competitive industry, then I don't know what else does.

What's really interesting is that this short was based on life experiences from its creator, Kristen Lester, a veteran Pixar story artist who was often the only female storyteller on feature films before coming to said studio. Lester stated that she had to "sort of became one of the guys" in order to fit in, which is still very prevalent amongst the common "bro culture" in certain work forces, with the short's company literally entitled B.R.O. Capital. These key notes help portray the seemingly fluffy and cute Purl as a fish out of water in a modern and aggressive male-dominated occupation. In addition, Lester really nailed down the themes of hiding your identity just to fit in, which can severely affect anyone from childhood to even adulthood. No matter how much you may want to be apart of a certain group, it will never be worth it if it means to strip away what makes you as an individual. What's funny is that, without spoiling anything, the short subverts what could happen when you venture into toxic masculinity, standing as a healthy reminder for future companies to take careful notice.

As for other cool aspects, the animation does a good job at portraying a realistic world with pseudo-natural humans to contrast well with the simplistic cartoony Purl. What's even more interesting is that Purl's movements are choppy yet broad compared to all the humans around her, almost like she belongs in another world (which actually compliments the short's themes). On a side note, all the voices were performed by Pixar staff members, including veteran animator Bret Parker as Purl, and one can tell they had a lot of fun in the recording studio portraying their respected counterparts. The voices help give the short a more authentic feel to the short's relatable tone, whether you're into bro-talk or have been in a similarly isolated position like Purl. Lastly, it is a nice added bonus for the short to be more edgy than most Pixar products, complete with mild swearing and innuendos. It's nice for a short film to appeal to a broad audience that still coming with teeth to bite off of, something we could use more of in today's entertainment.

With a brisk albeit strong commentary on the workforce, let alone in animation, Purl is surprisingly more timeless in its message than at first expected. In this day and age of sexual harassment and discrimination being brought to light much more than ever before, this short has the potential as a stepping stone for the importance of inclusivity and diversity in otherwise alienating workforces. They say it's never too late to change, and that's why through brilliant works like this, people can prosper through welcoming others in companies and other social gatherings for the benefit of a better future.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is good for break time
MK_movie_reviews23 August 2021
Pink knitted balls changed the cold-heart atmosphere in the company. Knitted balls characters are so cute.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It appears that NO ONE got the point in the reviews.....
Reckno6415 January 2020
Boo hoo to all that got offended at this short. It's not like ALL animation is for kids. So what if there is a curse word thrown in? Everyone who gave this a bad review cause it "wasn't suitable for kids" completely overlooked the fact that Pixar has never firmly aimed at "kids" and took it at surface value, which is a crying shame. It's too bad when reviews onare plagued by these angry Christian parents who don't want any swearing or violence in their kid-friendly cartoons....

The short did have a message, and a pretty good one at that. It was about the consequences of toxic masculinity in the workplace and how it nrgatively affects others. The protagonist learns their lesson at the end. I cannot believe everyone missed the point.

Shame on everyone who gave this a 1/10 for being "offensive". I would like Pixar to pull out more "adult" animation personally, but I guess they will have to label it as such so sensitive people don't get their feeling hurt.....
20 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Political agenda garbage
ScoobySnacks664 January 2020
Inexcusably severe male workforce stereotypes, political agenda of inclusivity shoved down our throats, swearing in a Pixar animated short - I am so tired of this political commentary garbage. Give this one a pass if you're tired of it too. Also, not suitable for children younger than 14.
30 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting
chloebetts3 August 2021
It was interesting. I'm not sure I completely understood it but it was fun.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent start for SparkShorts series by Pixar Animation Studios.
Martinito_0818314 September 2019
A very nice short movie from Pixar Animation Studios, but the story; characters; dialogue and some unmemorable music makes the entire short decent at best, while the aspects like the animation; the sound; acting and the cinematography is where it actually succeeds more. This is Kristen Lester's first time being a director and writer and i hope that she continue making more animated short movies and i'm very interested to see more of the new shorts that Pixar is doing with their SparkShorts series.
4 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a real story
robinhio84_25 December 2020
As a man I need to speak out here. You're probably wondering: WHY is this rated so low. It's a light storytelling of someone's experience in a way nothing more or less. It's not to attack anyone, but just message that you should be yourself. Wilhich is important

It's cutely done and was a surprising little gem. You could almost say that the low voting confirms the challenge for some ;)
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PIXAR Goes PG-13
BryanBranly1726 November 2020
To me, Purl was only an adult-themed flick disguised as a children short. The cursing, adult jokes, rude humor, and alcoholic drinking were very wrong elements to be put in a PIXAR short and should have gotten a PG-13 rating by the MPAA. Please guys, just keep it family-friendly and don't release anything like this again. Thankfully I am still a PIXAR fan but not a Purl fan. By far a very offensive short even though it tried to get a good message out there but it just did not work.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should be PG13
moviejen-0315029 December 2019
Yeah we had to turn this one off. They tell crude water cooler jokes, they curse, and purl drinks alcohol to the point of barfing. I really can't believe it's a PG rating. This is more like Adult Swim than Pixar. I get the message they're trying to get across. But, it's really not appropriate for little kids.
21 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for young kids
artistinbackofclass9 December 2020
Good thing I decided to watch this before playing for my 5 and 2 yo.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sexist, Hypocritical and Unrealistic
creepybby19 January 2020
If there was a company like BRO Capital, it would be destroyed in social media and may even be charged with a crime or two.

What this film IS a good depiction of is how quick most liberals are to revert to racism and sexism themselves in order to support their own idiotic fantasies surrounding gender politics. For example ... Is it better to stereotype every single male in the cartoon as being a white frat boy with identical hair cuts and suits just to complain that women are disadvantaged in the workplace? Even when they're not? This cartoon is at least 50 years too late for the corny political message it's trying to sell and equality isn't about trashing white guys, it's about putting everyone on the same level, no one being disadvantaged or put on a pedestal. Unfortunately this film bags on men just to shine a light on women. Something that probably won't be looked favorably upon in the future. Sexism is sexism and racism is racism, after all, no matter who is the target of the stereotypes.

Kind of reminds of how Google got sued for paying women more than men in order to prove that they don't have a wage gap at their company. They also got sued for giving sign-on bonuses to minorities in an effort to create more racial diversity among their employees. This is a lot like that. A myopic, bigoted and misguided effort by liberal media to cater to the teenage voices they hear on social media. Voices that know and understand very little about the real world around them as opposed to the social media fantasy world that they overindulge in on a daily basis.
30 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well Done, Funny, and a Positive Message
birbgirl8 December 2020
I like how they did this. As you might've noticed, all of the people in B.R.O. Capital are white men. Then, a woman (portrayed as a yarn ball, probably to make her seem out of place) comes in and everyone else kind of disregards her. By the end of the movie, there are many different colored yarn balls and men of different races, so it promotes acceptance and diversity. Purl ends up keeping her original yarn-ball style (probably because she realizes she doesn't need to change herself to fit in). I really liked the part where all the men were like, "Yeah, we gotta be AGGRESSIVE!" And when Purl said, "And if finance doesn't like it, they can KISS OUR ASS!" On that note... Now, lots of people say that this is "not appropriate for children." I am 12 years old, and I had no problem with this. Even if it's Disney or Pixar, nothing has to be kid friendly to be good. Grow up. Saying "ass" once doesn't make it R rated.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little cliche
d_2412 January 2021
It's a good message but I think that is so obvious and cliche
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Garbage
benceman-9401216 November 2019
Yet another PoCo propaganda film from Disney. I swear (speaking of swearing, this short swears, which is really weird), nowadays watching anything current from Disney, you can't just be entertained anymore. There has to be some political agenda they're trying to shove down our throats!
24 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible Pixar Short...
luphuchusl6 February 2019
Shows how much companies are trying to throw PoCo agendas at our kids.

We start at BRO corp where we see clones of the same persons with the only difference being facial hair, and then we have the womyn... i mean yarn ball come in.

And then we have the only funny moment, a joke about BMWs and Porcipines, a little insane for Pixar.

And also, they have the only swear word in a Pixar Short, said by the yarn ball... shows how self aware the 3rd wave is.

And of COURSE, at the end there are blacks and asians and stuff... still the same model as the white guy.

1/10 WORST PIXAR SHORT!!!
38 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A terrible Pixar Short
luphuchusl6 February 2019
I'm going to make this short... Swearing, PoCo propaganda and reused models is not a good pixar short.
31 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If this is the future of Pixar, I'll have to neglect them
grrr-257 February 2019
Not just rude, but I think this kind of white male stereotyping is horribly toxic.
68 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vulgar and boring
whikitywhack6 March 2020
My family sat down to watch some Disney+ shorts. This one was boring and vulgar. We made it halfway through wondering where it was going, and then they started swearing and telling "adult" jokes. Not a family short, but it's marketed to be.
16 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.