Knives Out (2019) Poster

(2019)

Bravo!
kamalhasnaa8 December 2019
Nothing was typical about this. Everything was beautifully done in this movie, the story, the flow, the scenario, everything. I highly recommend it for mystery lovers, for anyone who wants to watch a good movie!
48 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bringing back the classic whoddunit in amazingly entertaining fashion - 8/10 ⭐
pere-2536629 November 2019
What an excellent film by Rian Johnson; definitely feels like the film he was destined to make. Writing that is slick as hell, sublime performances (most notably Daniel Craig who brings his A-game in a wonderfully charismatic turn), superb editing and wonderfully atmospheric music - all tied together by masterful direction. Will probably be among the most fun you have at a theatre this year and fans of Agatha Christie and old murder mystery stories will have plenty to love here - a nostalgically entertaining time!
178 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Entertainment
Jared_Andrews16 December 2019
2019 has blessed movie fans with an impressively strong finish to the year in film. Among the excellent movies released in the past few months, "Knives Out" is perhaps the most purely entertaining. The star-studded cast pairing with a virtuoso director of consistently compelling movies served as powerful ingredients in the recipe for an entertaining movie, and the dish was prepared to perfection.

Despite what a few angry Star Wars fanboys will tell you about Rian Johnson and his sacrilegious creation, "The Last Jedi" Johnson is one of the better writer/directors in Hollywood. In my humble opinion, Johnson's Star Wars movie is perhaps the best in the saga.

Nevertheless, Johnson's latest romp should please all audiences. This film boasts one of the most impressive casts in recent memory, each member of which plays against type in a delightfully over-the-top fashion. Leading the pack is Daniel Craig (James Bond himself) playing a brilliant investigator named Benoit Blanc and flashing the same accent he would if he became the new KFC Colonel in the latest commercial. Yes, his southern drawl is comically exaggerated, but that is completely intentional. Many the best lines in the movie come with an implied wink at the camera, letting us know that everyone is in on the joke. Even Chris Evans (the beloved Captain America and the perhaps more beloved Twitter voice of good) plays a loathsome spoiled child of an entitled upbringing, who ruthlessly insults his family and hates dogs. I'll let you decide which of those traits is worse.

As a whodunnit, the movie is effective in ways you might not see coming and in plenty of ways you will. Even though the events leading to the death are revealed 40 minutes into the movie, Johnson manages to subvert expectations and remain steps ahead of viewers until the very end. I dare you to guess every twist and solve the puzzle before Blanc. The character often looks to be underwhelming as a detective, but that is also intentional. He eventually reveals himself to be multiple steps ahead the entire time.

Raw humor, suspense, and caustic social commentary combine to elicit one of the best screenplays of the year, one that deserves serious Oscar consideration. When the dust settles and mystery has been solved, the end result is a charming and satisfying mystery/comedy. We all deserve more movies like this, and we can thank Johnson for giving us one.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fun time at the movies
johnryeh-4969429 November 2019
I enjoyed this a lot. Clever, interesting and plausible in its logic. I enjoyed the deception put forth by the characters. I can usually tell where something is going and was genuinely surprised by the hole in the hole of the donut.

Some people might hate the politics of it, but I thought it gave a good dig at both sides while still being fairly liberal. FOX watchers will hate it, which I can see as kind of fueling the negative reviews.

What can also fuel the negative reviews. is all the positive hype about it. Too much enthusiasm from the critics can hurt a movie sometimes. Viewers go into the theater expecting too much.

Things never live up to the hype and this one didn't live up to it for me. But I thought it was still pretty solid and entertaining. I'm not sorry I spent some money on this one.
72 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
6.8?!?! Watch the goddam movie for sakes y'all Star Wars fans
theawsomeadrian7 November 2019
Best movie of the year, love everything about it, what I'm seeing is that some trolls that still can't get over TLJ, now for those that have and give it a 1 well that's fair but have some reasons why, not just bc it's Rian Johnson, like stop it's childish
659 out of 1,022 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hated Last Jedi. Loved this.
tcasavecchia1 December 2019
As a fan of mysteries (Sherlock Holmes, Poirot, Columbo, Monk, Psych.etc.) I was thrilled to see someone making a classic style whodunnit...and the cast! Figure you can't go wrong. Well I enjoyed it & while the cast all have time to shine it is Daniel Craig with his Southern drawl & especially Ana de Armas that steal the show. For anyone keeping away because they hated The Last Jedi...I agree, it was my least favourite of all the Star Wars films, but this is a well written film that was well acted and I can only hope this will inspire others to reinvigorate the murder mystery genre.
111 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The plot keeps getting better
hitsmenghwani7 December 2019
This is a movie one would not regret spending money on. After a long time I am rating a movie perfect 10 and this movie totally deserves it. I really like the subtle comedy sprinkled in the movie. It easies out the tense atmosphere. In a good detective movie, you expect to be taken aback on how things unfold at the end and this is what happens in this movie. There is never an instant when you would get distracted or bored. I had a good time watching this movie and you would surely have it too.
32 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun little mystery with a slick pay off
iamlegend-0743129 November 2019
Knives Out (2019) 8/10🗡🚪💉💸

"Rian Johnson successfully revives the "whodunnit" mystery subgenre with this perfectly cast fun time, even if it doesn't bring anything groundbreaking to the table."

Knives Out is the kind of "whodunnit" film that will never fail to entertain. As a progressive mystery, Knives Out is a very fashionable movie with it's grand ensemble of fresh and familiar faces. With some very snarky and slick writing, these characters are albeit memorable, most notably Daniel Craig's Detective Blanc and Chris Evan's Ransome, however, the film fails to make full use of the ensemble to the greatest extent. Of course that never takes away from what else Knives Out has to offer. The intensity of every moment that leaves you questioning the motive and action behind the titled crime scene is delivered with such glorious fashion, one could say Murder on the Orient Express had a beautiful baby, this being the result, showing Rian Johnson's strongholds. While the first two acts of the movie are quite strong and promising, the third act finds itself being a little rough around the edges but manages to find it's footing upon the conclusion; one for all and all for one.

Verdict: Knives Out not only proves to us that Rian Johnson is a strong director with the right material, but also displays a fashionable reiteration of what the mystery genre can do to keep us guessing what is left in store for us to see in all the right ways.
45 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The IMDb star-rating on this is so inaccurate, it's pathetic!
cli-137444 November 2019
I actually wish would do away with the star-rating portion of their website because it doesn't give an accurate rating for films and this film is a perfect example. Everyone knows that there are many bitter Star Wars fanboys rating this film low because they are still so bitter over Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi and as a result, they are going to try to ruin any of Rian's future films. They really need to just get over it and get a life, already. DON'T believe the Star-Rating of This Film Because It's Mostly from Bitter Star Wars Fanboys Rating the Film LOW ON PURPOSE!, obviously. Anyone who has actually seen this film would be brain-dead to rate it low or to not give it a good review because this film is so freaking entertaining! I could see it again and again. It's so different than the crap that has been in the theaters lately. It's fun, it's thrilling, it's wacky, it has so many twists and turns that it always keeps you guessing. And for the cast, what a freaking cast! I couldn't even tell you who the MVP of the cast was. They were all fantastic. We need more films like this and less big explosions, stupid plot films. I for one, will give this the true star-rating it deserves! 10/10!!!!! Bitter Star Wars fanboys, you can keep being immature and rating it low, but it isn't going to change the fact that the film is great and I'm going to encourage every single person to go out and see it pronto when it hits theaters!
345 out of 653 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining, fun, and a better crime solving movie.
cruise0113 December 2019
Knives Out (4.5 out of 5 stars).

Knives Out is a mystery murder crime film which you will have a lot of fun with this Clue like concept as Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) tries to solve a murder. This kind of film reminds me like Murder at the Orient Express. But a little more fun and entertaining. Rian Johnson direction and his witty script makes this movie worth watching. It is fun, there are surprises, and twist and turns.

The plot follows Harlan (Christopher Plummer) who is a patriarch and owns a lot. After he was mysteriously found dead and presumed it was a suicide. A private investigator Benoit Blanc is hired to solve the mystery. With the family being on the will and are wanting their share of Harlan's property and company. Blanc believes there is a suspect that is at large within the family.

The film's plot is a little slow moving. It is a lot of fun. Blanc interviewing every family member Ranson (Chris Evans) who is the black sheep of the family. Linda (Jamie Lee Curtis) and her husband Richard (Don Johnson). Walt (Michael Shannon). Meg (Katherine Langford). Jacob (Jaeden Martell). Joni (Toni Collette). And their house nanny Marta (Ana de Armas). The cast ensemble was great. The performances are fun and entertaining.

The film is filled with surprises with twist and turns. Definitely best seeing without reading or looking up spoilers about it. I would love to see another movie of this.

Overall, Knives Out is a really good film. If you are into the murder mystery kind of movie. This would be it.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kind of overrated to me
grayner-230 November 2019
I have read the many glowing reviews for this film and I honestly don't get it. Yes, there were some very funny and entertaining parts. It was a very good ensemble cast. Daneil Craig does his best Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood impression. But beyond that, I found the cast woefully underused. Jamie Lee Curtis, Don Johnson etc. I expected Jamie Lee to play a major role but she seemed more like window dressing. She also, as the daughter, appeared to have no real motive for the murder. So the real crime here was her underuse. 1/2 of the members of the family had no motive mentioned. Then, when the "murder" was revealed at the half way point, it was clear Martha did not really do it and was being set up. Chris Evans conveniently shows up at the halfway point with lines, so the reveal, for the most part is painfuly obvious, or at least most of it. The give-aways were pretty obvious, like granny saying "Random, you're back AGAIN" or the comment on how the dogs barked only with certain people. The mention of the "slayer" law was very, very obvious. I understand this is a parody of the sleuth genre but shouldn't there be at least some surprises?

Nor do I believe this is a "commentary" on our situation today. Yes, there was a dialogue thrown in on immigration but nothing new was covered here.

That is not to say it is a bad film. Daniel Craig and the cast seemed to be having a ball. Lots of kooky things happened. But I think this is better for a late-nite Netflix watch.

I certainly don't see it as being "best of the year."
136 out of 248 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The perfect whodunnit film
UniqueParticle23 November 2019
Beautifully filmed and thought out very well which to me is good enough! Great ensemble cast that did excellent acting among adding hilarious parts in many scenes. Absolutely love Daniel Craig and Ana De Amas did awesome! I'm sure Knives Out has mixed opinions but I am very glad I got to see an early screening.
113 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun murder mystery
amygwhite29 November 2019
It's a fun whodunit movie with a great cast. It would make a great book too.
40 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Movie Was Excellent
VT-Kingdom5 December 2019
A Moderate Paced Setup Turns Into a wonderfully woven tale of intrigue and mystery. I enjoyed every minute of it. It was suspenseful and well played. Two thumbs up.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just okay
leeshep28 November 2019
Mildly entertaining with a great cast and high production value. The story is soft but not awful. I can't imagine saying this film deserves more than a 6.
53 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How can this film currently have a 6.8 rating when it's one of the best pictures of the year?!
MartinHafer3 November 2019
Sometimes I am shocked when I see a great film...only to see it has an incredibly low overall score on IMDB. This is definitely the case with "Knives Out"....a great film by writer/director Rian Johnson that I strongly recommend you see. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this one receives some Oscar nominations...it's that good.

"Knives Out" is like an Agatha Christie novel set in modern day America and with American characters. But it's not just a homage to Christie-style films but a genuinely good and unique film in its own right. Kudos to many of the actors...particularly Daniel Craig. I thought Craig was miscast as a Southern American detective....but he carried it off wonderfully.

Overall, I have no complaints...nothing I disliked or would do differently. In fact, it was so good I nearly gave it a 10....and I completely enjoyed the movie.
204 out of 430 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great whodunit
masonsaul28 November 2019
Knives Out is a great whodunit that's unpredictable and extremely funny, skillfully playing with the tropes and conventions of a murder mystery. All of it's incredible cast are excellent but Chris Evans, Daniel Craig and Ana De Armas give the standout performances. Rian Johnson's direction is great and the film is extremely well filmed. The music by Nathan Johnson is fantastic. However, it's brought down slightly by the second act which can be tedious at times.
37 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice take on murder mystery!
ialssaka5 December 2019
Generally speaking you tend to find more murder mystery TV shows than movies, this is partially since it's hard to build a complete mystery in the allotted movie running time. This movie builds this murder beautifully by showing the different points of views of the suspects. It has a different take than other movies since it gives the viewer a little too much details mid-movie which leaves you questioning everything to the last minute. The acting was brilliant and I didn't feel the number of characters was overdoing it at any stage.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This should be an 8.6 at LOWEST
simsbros-892312 December 2019
Buncha salty Star Wars fanboys didnt like TLJ so they think he can never make a good movie again.

No matter. Glad to see people with brains are seeing the film and giving it the marks it deserves. The movie is fantastic and a thrill from start to finish. Tons of twists and turns and smartly written. Go see it. And then give it a good review here so intelligent filmmaking can prevail.
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Passes The Time
adamk-217 October 2019
"Knives Out" is a perfectly entertaining, perfectly agreeable little film, a star-studded old-style murder-mystery that's good fun while it lasts. The actors involved all seem to be having fun and the plot keeps you engaged, even right up to the reveal when you will, as can often happen with these things, find yourself saying, "Oh, so that's...hang on, that doesn't make any sense". For indeed, plot and motivation holes abound and ultimately you're left with a decent film (although some might find the lie/reflux plot point a trifle irritating). It's fun enough, the kind of film best watched after Christmas lunch with the family, but it's not a game-changer in any way.
185 out of 421 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing but still enjoyable
BrorsanW13 November 2019
After having seen all of Johnson's movies except for The Brothers Bloom I expected something a little bit more from Knives Out. A more mature, cold film with it's tounge in cheek is what I wanted after previously enjoying Brick and Looper so much. I was at least very happy to see it put a curious twist on the murder mystery genre. The story takes a very different path than I expected. Sadly, it seems as though they could have gone in harder with this twist, it goes back to the usual motions after a while.

As it is this has to be Johnson's most accessible movie yet. It's a star-studded cast filled with old reliabales and also some newcomers. Though I don't feel as though the actors were given very much time to properly shine it's all very lovely and nice. The high saturation and crazy colorful sets should grab the interest of most viewers aswell, though I do find the cinematography quite formulaic.

If you're looking for a nice family film you can take your children or parents to you're sure to have a blast. If you're looking for anything like Johnson's earlier work or something more artsy however, you'll be disappointed.
103 out of 229 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
dmasursky23 November 2019
What a waste of a stellar cast. The trailer shows almost all the scenes that the famous people are in together. The rest of the time you are watching a little known Cuban actress who is apparently the star of the movie. It's hard to believe that this is the same writer/director as Brick, which is one of my top 10 favorite movies. This movie doesn't have nearly as much sly humor as that movie. It's not particularly witty and it's not really a sendup of the genre, either. Not a complete waste of time, but not what I was hoping for either.
84 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misleading reviews
nickryan-4453528 November 2019
I was so hyped for this movie after seeing the star studded cast and the rave reviews online. A movie with Daniel Craig, Chris Evans and Jamie Lee Curtis, I couldn't ask for more. However, the pacing is slow and the "big twist" is quite underwhelming. The jokes fall flat and aren't done well, I was expecting some great thrilling mystery and bust out laughing jokes but it sadly was a dud.
140 out of 323 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eminently forgettable entertainment
JohnMilton10122 November 2019
Saw this with a friend at an advance screening, so at least we didn't have to pay for it. This film felt like it was trying oh so hard to be "fun" and "hip" but ended up falling flat. The plot gets convoluted, and confusing at times. The device of having Ana de Armas' character vomit when she lies was pretty dumb. At two hours and 10 minutes, it's at least 45 minutes too long. It wasn't awful (if it was, we would've left), but left us both feeling "meh." It was fun watching the actors wolfing down the scenery, and so was not too unpleasant way of passing the time. But this isn't a movie I'd recommend to anyone.
83 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clue(do) Board Game brought to life, with a twist!
FilmFlowCritics9 October 2019
After seeing the trailer, the first thing you notice is the fantastic ensemble cast, but you might not expect this movie to be that comedic to be honest, more of a Thriller vibe. This movie decides to be a satire for the first 30mins, a silly comedy for the next 90mins and throws in some Thriller minutes for the fun of it, like playing Cluedo with Go-Stones, its a mess ad all over the place!

This murder mystery "reveals who the killer is" halfway through the movie and still keeps on going, because it changes its premise after the first half, and now decides to be a different movie.

All that being said... this movie is entertaining, for over 2 hours and reminds me how funny Daniel Craig can be. While the movie still suffers from the typical ensemble cast problems, it almost satirically plays with its own flaws and doesn't take itself to seriously.

It's absolutely not a movie that you will remember in a few months, but its a light-harded comedy that will make you laugh a few times and that's what a comedy is about after all.

I'm not sure if this is a movie you have to experience in the cinema, but it will be the perfect movie for a lazy rainy Sunday once it hits the streaming services!
123 out of 293 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.