Wander Darkly (2020) Poster

(2020)

a second look at us
ferguson-610 December 2020
Greetings again from the darkness. An ambitious filmmaker by nature takes risks that other filmmakers don't, sometimes to the detriment of their own success. However, for those of us who maintain a crazy pace of movie watching, we tend to relish those who find a way to try something different - turn a familiar story into one we might not have seen before. So hats off to writer-director Tara Miele (THE LAKE EFFECT, 2010) for jolting the frequently used flashback effect and making it into an interactive experience.

Adrienne (Sienna Miller) and Matteo (Diego Luna) are a normal couple going through the kind of rough patch that many couples will relate to. They have chosen to not get married, yet they have a newborn baby and recently purchased a home (despite job situations that don't seem to add up). The pressures of adulting have resulted in frustrations and distrust to the point that Adrienne questions if the relationship should even continue. Their solution is scheduling "date nights", and the one we see is a date night gone bad ... and then worse.

What follows is Adrienne and Matteo on a surreal trek through the hazy memories of their relationship via moments in time that play like foggy dreams. We see good moments and bad, and the two hash out what they really thinking at the time - all while Adrienne tries to make sense of her new situation. There are some similarities here to Michel Gondry's excellent ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004), but at its core, this is a heartfelt examination of trauma, love, memories, and grief as they relate and impact a relationship.

Beth Grant provides support work as Adrienne's mother, but it's Sienna Miller who delivers what may be a career best performance. She has always been a fine actress, but this may be the widest range of emotions she's ever had to convey. The dialogue may be a bit sketchy at times, but we recognize every portion of this flawed relationship. Watching a couple re-live actual past situations and debate on what was said or what was meant, is a history lesson that cuts deeply. A clip from NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is purposeful in its inclusion, but I won't disclose anything further in regards to the nature of these characters and what they go through. I'll only say that filmmaker Miele (a Grand Jury award winner at Sundance) does really nice work in showing how physical trauma and emotional trauma so often go hand-in-hand. In select theaters and On Demand December 11, 2020
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tear jerker for the new crowd
hampersnow-289052 February 2021
Wander Darkly is an Ok film if you take it for what it is, a modern tearjerker for the 30-something crowd. Sienna Miller and Diego Luna are both fine in the leads but for the most part this is her movie. It's also a message movie and while it doesn't hit you over the head with it, the movie is a bit contrived. I guessed the twist early on and if you've seen enough movies lately , it's a twist that's becoming more common, which is to say this movie doesn't really present anything really new. The worst parts of this film are technical, I have no idea why shaky and twirling camera work were used as they add nothing. This is a drama, talk heavy, action light, but at times the constantly moving camera and quick edits were making me dizzy. The other problem was sound recording and Diego Luna's accent. I had no problem understanding her but his dialogue was at times completely lost on me, either it was mumbled or badly recorded. In a dialogue heavy film this is unacceptable. Overall, the movie just didn't move me, the characters, especially her, are not exactly lovable and while it is sad, I think it tried a bit too hard. If they were going to examine a couples relationship, maybe they picked the wrong couple because these 2 weren't all that fascinating. There are classic tearjerkers, this is not one of them. Worth a watch if you like the 2 stars.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly sad and touching
k_ztro26 January 2020
No spoilers*** great movie for couples, a very cliche plot portrayed in a very interesting way which makes it very digestible and enjoyable for any adult audience. Sensitive people beware to take some tissues with you.
14 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional and haunting about trauma and conflict.
cruise019 February 2021
3.5 out of 5 stars.

Wander Darkly is a pretty fair film about a couple Adrienne (Sienna Miller) and Matteo (Diego Luna) who are struggling with there relationship. When an accident leaves them in a trauma. Where they face the past and current conflict with there relationship. They try to resolve there conflict that is holding them back.

The plot i can not say much more without going into spoiler territory. It was surprisingly good. A car accident affecting them both. Such as facing life after death. Dealing with loss and grief. And how a humans mind work itself in dealing with trauma. Adrienne and Matteo are dealing with a troubled relationship. Where they test each others love for one and another.

It is an emotional movie. And has a twist that will keep you guessing til the end. Diego Luna and Sienna Miller did a great job with there roles.

I did find the exposition being too dragged on. And slow in the end. But it is a wonderful film.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotionally moving and deeply satisfying
lkgleeson27 October 2020
Wander Darkly is a relationship film challenging boundaries while seeking the answer for continuity. Miller in a tour de force performance crushes it as Adrienne pulling out all the emotional stops exploring grief, joy, and love. Luna is no slouch as Matteo either. Steadfast and earnest as he explains his flighty behavior with axioms of "for better or worse," and "you have to take the good with the bad." As contentious as the relationship is/was, watching the two come to a resolution was emotionally moving and deeply satisfying to watch.
18 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No_me_at_all15 January 2021
In the time of pandemia, seclusion, and streaming, thank God for fast forward!
11 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A real 'page turner' of a film
bowers-4080616 February 2021
Full of reminders about the importance of making each day count
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Beautiful and Unique Meditation on Life, Death, Love, and Loss
TheHound165 February 2021
A gorgeous film, from start to finish. Beautifully shot, seamlessly edited (which creates a fluid, dreamlike, and effortless feeling through much of the film). Raw, messy, and incredibly relatable as well. The actors were superb (Sienna Miller and Diego Luna had wonderful, believable chemistry). Such a unique film, I haven't quite seen anything quite like it. And, without giving anything away, I found myself sobbing for the last 20 minutes. Highly recommend, just watch if you get a chance and enjoy the journey.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dreamlike and nightmare at the same time
trinaboice8 December 2020
IN A NUTSHELL: Written and directed by Tara Miele, this powerful movie takes a sobering look at struggling relationships and how we all live our lives and love the people in them. The romantic drama by Lionsgate received rave reviews at the Sundance Film Festival in 2020. It's a mind-bending, ethereal journey that required two editors in order to effectively tell the ambitious story in the film.

TIPS FOR PARENTS: Some crude language You see a close-up of a woman breast-feeding You see a woman in her bra and underwear An unmarried couple is naked in bed having "relations"

THEMES: Life and death Relationships Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome Loss of a loved one, grief Soulmates Family Reality vs fantasy Memories

THINGS I LIKED: Sienna Miller is absolutely fantastic. You might remember seeing her star with Jude Law in Alfie where they met and became engaged for a time. She's a British actress who has been nominated and won many awards, but more often in the news associated with scandals. She once stated, "Somehow, I always end up being scandalous even though I don't mean to. I just find it. If it's there, if there's something scandalous lurking, I'll accidentally walk into it." Did you know her mother was a personal assistant to David Bowie? I really liked Sienna Miller being paired up with Diego Luna. His range took me on a journey from not liking his character to being endeared by him. His mother was British and died in a car accident when he was only two, so the story in this movie must have really touched him deeply. I liked not being able to tell if a certain character was alive or dead. Some viewers might be confused by that but it's part of the effective "wander darkly" experience. The storytelling is done in a very creative way. I love the way Mexicans honor their dead with photos, flowers, and music on Day of the Day. The images of skeletons used to frighten me until I watched the sweet movie Coco (Theatrical Version). Really great musical score. I really like the movie poster that illustrates very well how things feel upside down when someone dies. The film really does feel like a dream and a nightmare combined.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: A lot of scenes are visually dark, which will make it hard to watch the movie on small devices when the movie goes to streaming. Then again, remember the title of the movie: Wander DARKLY. There is no humor whatsoever. It's a very sad, depressing, and heavy movie. Viewers might get confused about the timing of the things because scenes jump forward and backward constantly. The beginning and the end of the movie are clearly defined, but everything in between is very non-linear. Some viewers will be confused by the structure, but I actually enjoyed it a lot. There wasn't any buzz about this movie for a long time, so a lot of people know nothing about it and will probably miss it.

You can see my full review on my Movie Review Mom YouTube channel and website.
9 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breathtaking
Castorian25 December 2020
Innovative and ambitious narrative approach about the somewhat hackneyed topic of the couple. Genuine chemistry between the two protagonists. It was hard at times to watch, especially at the beginning, to such an extent it is realistic and at the same time dreamlike, almost insane. It gets a little too long towards the end - probably to give the viewer a break, and it loses some of its force. A solid 7.5 / 10.
5 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wander Darkly
marmar-6978014 December 2020
Wander Darkly is one very interesting film that has a very cool concept behind it that was explored in a very cool way but still i felt like this film was trying to hard to impress audiance and cause of that i wasnt so touched or emotionaly invested in this story and its characters.Actors did a good jobs expecely Diego Luna who was the best part of this film,but Sienna in other hand had some weaker parts in showing her abbilities but she was survicable in the end.Wander Darkly is for sure one film that has a cool idea but it was trying to hard in end
5 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Asymmetrical Time Displacement Plot Line
sommese5 April 2020
There is not yet accurate description of WANDER DARKLY genre. It is brand new. It is ASYMMETRICAL TIME DISPLACEMENT PLOT LINE such as we have never seen before. Audience sees movie characters in at least three different cognitive time frames of PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE. There is a fourth dimensional aspect because the characters occasionally step out of their scene to look at the three times to comment in a real time way. Hence, ASYMMETRICAL TIME DISPLACEMENT PLOT LINE. An all new way to tell a story.
10 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit twisting at the end, but overall full of super annoying overuse scene! Avoid at all freaking cost!
kwenchow5 February 2021
This film start with a woman "Adrienne" cuddling her baby, and a man "Matteo" watching both of them scene! As turnout, this film is about a series of memories of Adrienne with her husband "Matteo", after the killing of Matteo in a car accident! Entire film full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Such as, overuse of the driving scene, overuse of the flashbacks scene, overuse of the upside down scene, overuse of the kissing scene, overuse of the drinking scene, overuse of the baby crying scene, overuse of the arguing scene, and overuse of the taking pills scene! Make the film unwatchable! At the end, after found out Matteo already dead, Adrienne, and her daughter watching dolphin on the boat! That's it! Wasting time to watch!
3 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing, heart wrenching tale
MovieQween-3362225 February 2021
Sienna Miller is just exquisite. She pulls you in and never lets go. This story was so beautiful, dark, raw, real and heart wrenching. A story of love and life. Also loss... Reminds me of the film, What Dreams May Come with the late Robin Williams. It's one of my favorites. I don't want to give away any spoilers. But it's worth a watch. It drew some tears from me throughout the movie and definitely streaming tears at the end. Beautifully done, great chemistry with Sienna and Diego Luna! Not sure why Vanessa Bayer was randomly in here? But other than that amazing film.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bereavement and it's mental effect.
bobandnicky-3211619 February 2021
I think this film captures it perfectly, a brilliantly executed piece of cinema.
Tearjerker
ixtasis17 February 2021
I hadn't cried in a long time. There's really not a lot to say about this film that the watcher shouldn't experience for themselves and that hasn't been said my past reviewers.