A Holiday Boyfriend (2019) Poster

Not bad at all
georgebronee20 December 2019
People usually fall into two camps. those who love Hallmark rom-coms and those who hate Hallmark rom-coms! I am more or less indifferent, but the wife loves these things and roped me into watching this last night. I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised. There is nothing new or surprising here, but it was engaging, hit all of the Christmas rom-com tropes and made me smile in the right places, I think! I can honestly say that I enjoyed it more than most of the movies that Hollywood thinks we all want to see around Christmas.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie ever
dragonmistress22 December 2020
Don't waste your time. The main character is the most unlikeable shallow bimbo of all time.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Lost 'Criminal Minds' Episode
reathen7018 December 2020
This is easily the worst 'Christmas romance' film me or my SO have endured over he past few years. Watching Hallmark style schlock is something of a tradition for us around the holidays so we end up sitting through some real stinkers, but this one takes the absolute cake.

The dialogue is trite and dreadfully cringy. The female lead is a shrill, unlikable harpy woman who is nearly as unbearable as the male love interest, which brings us to the real horror show; Jacob is terrifying. This guy does not smile, he bears his teeth in a weird grimace that at best resembles an alien's attempt at imitating human warmth. Most of his interactions with Katie are unnerving rather than charming and there's a fair bit of scenes that involve this rough and tumble cowboy man looking absolutely insane.

To make matters worse, he's condescending and achingly overbearing to any but the most desperate of late forty-something housewives. The red flags are MASSIVE and we honestly kept expecting the film to turn into a subversive 'anti holiday romance' film where the heroine's petty pursuit of a relationship to sate an arbitrary life goal ends with her being buried alive in the desert by a psychopath who used her impulsive desires to lure her to her doom.

Instead it's just a bad film about a woman who somehow finds this obvious serial killer charming, when most scenes could easily replace the chipper royalty-free music with an ominous score to instantly create a horror film. There is no charm, wit, romance or humor to be found here, only unintentionally hilarious interactions as characters bumble around in a gory attempt at creating laughs and warming hearts.

It's cheap, it's awkward and ultimately a shallow attempt at an already barren genre. The relationship between Katie and Jacob isn't even nuanced or well developed since a huge amount of screen time is devoted to unfunny scenes where Katie tries online dating to obvious results, so you don't get the privilege of enjoying Matt Merchant's deranged rancher for most of the film. Watch it only if you harbor a secret lust for Ted Bundy, or if you happen to be in the mood for some truly bottom of the barrel film-making.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Right There In The Title
maxwelledisonvii6 December 2019
This is a Hallmark Christmas romantic comedy, that really isn't a Hallmark movie, but it fits the mold. If you don't like Christmas rom-coms, then you are barking up the wrong Christmas tree. If you like light, corny, romantic holiday fare, you may consider giving this a view. It has a solid cast, quirky secondary characters and the story engages you enough so that you want to hang in there and see how everything resolves. Kudos to everyone involved, especially first time feature writer and director Olivia Dunkley, who gives us a nice, corny Christmas movie instead of another in the endless re boots and sequel re hashes.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
cullver23 December 2020
I'm shocked that there might be actors who auditioned and *didn't* get the part. Everyone in this movie is one (very small) step above an elementary school play where the kids stand in the middle of the stage and shout their lines at the audience. If I could have found the remote control under all the wrapping paper I would have shut it off long before it finally ended.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Departure for a Romance
jimbintz-2493115 June 2020
Usually these fims are either formulaic or badly done ego trips. This film, written and directed by the star, had some weaknesses in writing, but the plot was not contrived, the story developed reasonably, and the performances were (generally) excellent. The dynamic between the female friends was honest and natural. The male lead was a little stiff, but may have been written that way. I watched it to see what a woman-driven genre film could accomplish. Olivia Dunkley stepped beyond her stunt woman, action hero default to deliver an entertaining look at contemporary dating.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not awesome
taylovely18 December 2019
This movie was one where I had to keep myself wat hing to find out if she ended up with the man but the movie was boring
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HORRIBLE!
iamgrl19 December 2019
I had to give it a star to post the review. This movie is awful! The male role is not only a terrible actor, but he is creepy. The female role is also terrible and comes across desperate and pathetic. This is not to be compared to a Hallmark movie. It is so bad.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting enough to keep me watch till the end!
benwkwu17 May 2020
A nice Christmas movie to watch. Acting and the way of the directoring may not be super, but it someway somehow has been presented much better than those Hallmark movies which we normally get. No handsome actor, no beautiful actress, the topic and the plot is also not new; but it has shown a better depth than those Hallmark shallow ones. I enjoy watching it.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow and boring
ricster554 October 2020
This movie is so slow that it causes one to wonder if they stretched it out just to be longer than an hour. And the acting was boring.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrifying
kingelvis27 December 2020
All I know is i had to watch all the way past the credits in case there was a stinger revealing that Jacob, the male lead, was actually a serial killer. Kudos to Matt Merchant if he was playing this character with a background of cold-blooded murderer, because he was playing deep in the psycho waters. Get this man a proper horror film, post haste.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Smart, Funny, Real
bunny-kristine14 January 2021
I was thinking of this movie the next day. The character's personalities are well thought out with a bit of dry kind of slapstick humor. There is this thread of reality and emotion that rides under the radar and becomes more apparent and exposed as the storyline plays out. Ms. Dunkley's character speaks like her heart is in pain and Matt Merchant the seemingly tall silent type turns out to be deeply loving and just by how he holds Katie and touches her it's difficult to believe he is acting. A broken heart overcome by true love. The ratings should have been better for the story line was actually fairly deep, well played out. Nicely done.
The Hallmark Style Movie for People Who Hate Those
trudithnjudith10 January 2021
I hate sappy Hallmark type movies, but this one is different in a few ways that makes it tolerable:

1) Realistically Horrible Depiction of Internet Dating in Your 40's. Dating really is that cringe-worthy and depressing. There's no sugar-coating it here.

2) Realistically Luke-Warm Depiction of Romance. The characters don't "meet cute." It's not love-at-first-sight. It's not all sunshine and roses. No one whispers "I love you" as the music swells and the snowflakes fall. Like life, the main relationship is awkward and uncomfortable, punctuated by brief moments of joy, with a slow-growing understated companionship.

3) The relatively low budget works in this movie's favor. By Hollywood standards, I'm guessing this movie is low-budget, but that actually helps make the movie palatable. Viewers don't need to watch some ultra-posh supermodel living it up in a beachside mansion fully paid for by her 4-hour a week job of cuddling puppies. There's a real person with a normal job wearing Target clothes living in a small budget style apartment.
Much Better Kissing Scenes than Hallmark Movies
sandrapotthoff4 January 2021
A Holiday Boyfriend is a romantic comedy with a familiar theme - Mr. Right Now turns out to be Mr. Right. I found it on Tubi while looking for an easy to watch movie that would take my mind off this post-presidential election time-period that feels like a dumpster fire. This movie delivered. It has kind of a Hallmark or Lifetime romance movie feel, but with much better kissing and a great scene on the kitchen dishwasher.

The male lead character is an introverted, socially shy man of few words, but one look at him and you know that underneath he is a "hunka hunka burning love." Casting Matt Merchant for this character made the movie, in my opinion. He's a handsome guy in a football player offensive guard lineman kind of way - a guy who could clear a crowded sidewalk for a woman and pick her up over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. What woman doesn't want that? Best leading man kisser I have seen, with blue eyes and a great smile thrown in to seal the deal.

The woman who played the leading female character also wrote, directed, and helped cast the movie. For a debut film of these responsibilities, I thought that Olivia Dunkley did a solid job. I thought there was a good supporting cast, especially the two girlfriends, and the waiter Han. They added some great humor to the film. Were there some things that could have been written or acted differently? Maybe, but I'm no Roger Ebert to pass judgement. If you think a scene is too slow, you can skip ahead 10 seconds in Tubi if you want. For the person who rated this movie low because they said the female lead character is "the most unlikeable shallow bimbo of all time," I have two words: Scarlett O'Hara.

I am glad I spent an hour and 45 minutes of my life watching this film. I also found an online interview on The Movie Guys with Olivia and Matt where I learned just how hard it is to make a movie on a really small budget. Overall, a fun movie to watch. The only thing I would have changed is that the characters would have been naked for the dishwasher scene (just kidding).
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nice change with real characters
genesslorien2 January 2021
I really liked this movie. To me, the main characters felt real and not like many rom coms' stock characters. I don't understand some of the lower reviews of this movie. Some people's comments about it make no sense to me. True, the lead female character does drive you a bit crazy. She is kind of a pain for much of the movie, but explains why she behaved the way she did near the end. Anyone paying attention would understand why and have some compassion. I enjoyed the lead male character, played by Matt Merchant. His character was introverted and more quiet, but was very quirky and funny at times, and actually a sweet man. I don't get some of the comments here about his character being "creepy" or like a "serial killer"! 🙄 Nonsense! In the beginning, the character does seem a bit weird, but then soon you just realize that he is kind of shy and humble, and at times was maybe just nervous around the lead female. Perhaps some people didn't like the character because he doesn't fit into a romantic movie mold, but that's why I liked him. He was unique, and ultimately, a good person. Her best friends were hilarious and fun and added a special something to the movie. It's impressive that the lead actress was also the writer, director and producer. I hope to see more work by her and Merchant, and the actors who played her best friends and the waiter. The movie definitely did not feel like another formulaic Hallmark movie with a set script and characters. It felt like real people going through real issues. The best of the season!
Nope
sharwatson2 January 2021
I usually love these kinds of movies. This one was awful. They actually called a grown man a stable boy and the women were so pretentious and goofy. The only characters I liked were the "stable boy" and the waiter. If you need background noise to fall asleep to, turn it on low and rock out.