Monday (2020) Poster

(2020)

Nice movie but need more backstory
audreytherris19 April 2021
Shoutout to Sebastian Stan and Denise Gough for their amazing potrayal of such complex character. It is a nice movie but it is hard to understand. You can easily understand Mickey characters by his behaviour and stuff but it is opposite with Chloe. We know so little about her, her struggle, why was she broke up with Christos? Why was she attended the first party in the first place if she didnt know Argyris? I have a lot of question and it is hard to understand just by seeing her with Mickey. I know the concept of this movie is great and wild weekend and then Monday reality hit you again. But throughout the movie the Fridays are far more highlighted than the Mondays and the Mondays should have potrayed more explosive and emotionaly draining.
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Damn...it was hard and painful to watch
bianka142518 April 2021
We can see a REAL relationship, the ups and downs, the uplifting first weeks when you fly above the clouds. But IMO these ups doesn't make the downs worth it. And the downs are so depressing that those minutes reminded me my past relationships and reminded me why I should remain single. Because that's how a real relationship looks like and not many movies want to show us this way...they use a lot of sugarcoat instead.

(The flashbacks were so intense I had to take many breaks while watching the movie just to think about something else and not about how foolish, irresponsible and unbridled we were.)

It is not a bad movie, there's nothing wrong with it. I just felt really uncomfortable watching it and even Sebastian Stan could not make me feel better.
21 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing and Honest
kellyverplanke16 April 2021
This is such a good movie. It shows a real relationship with ups and downs. It shows the childish relationship but also the adult one. Defenitly a movie to think about afterwards. It shows that not every movie has to have an end, just like with life. The unexpected part is life. Absolutely loved this movie and I would recommend watching. The chemistry between Sebastian and Denise is overwhelming and they are both such great actors!
33 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Confused
agentsofsword17 April 2021
Okay as much as i like sebastian stan

what did i just watch? It's strange but delivers very good performances but what is this. I didn't really care about the nudity on this film. This movie is named monday because of something happened in the last 10 minutes but its always friday. I actually liked the first act but it fell apart in 2nd and 3rd act im questioning myself the entire time, what am i watching?
32 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eh
sarahellis-2648218 April 2021
This movie was terrible but Sebastian stan looked great.
25 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extraordinary
danae_kon9917 April 2021
I had never heard of Argyris Papadimitropoulos before, but now after watching "Monday" I will be seeing a lot of him and his work! This is Greece. Summer parties, alcohol,sea, traffic horns, swearing and hugs. Sebastian Stan and Denise Gough have the sweetest chemistry and their acting is pretty amazing. A really nice story that doesn't end the way most of us would want, but this is real life and real relationships. Monday is when things get real after a perfect Friday. I love this movie.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
time to grow up
ferguson-615 April 2021
Greetings again from the darkness. I will admit upfront that I'm no fan of watching late thirty-somethings living their lives like a never-ending fraternity party. So when the film opens on a disco ball, and we see a woman breaking up with her boyfriend on the phone while the thumping dance blasts, and then she immediately hooks up with the equally-aged DJ ... well, I was concerned that writer-director Argyris Papadimitropoulos and co-writer Rob Hayes decided to make this film as a kick to the shins of any job-holding, respectable grown-up movie watcher. Fortunately, it's not as bad as all that.

The two instant-lovers wake up naked on the beach the next morning and introduce themselves while handcuffed in the back of a police car. Denise Gough (JULIET, NAKED) is Chloe, an immigration lawyer who has been in an abusive relationship, and seemed to move on quickly (minutes later), without much thought. Sebastian Stan (Bucky from "The Avengers" franchise) is Mickey, a party boy DJ who is also an advertising jingle writer. Chloe and Mickey are both American ex-pats living in Athens, Greece. He's been knocking around for almost 7 years, and after 18 months, she's now scheduled to head back to the U. S. And yes, we do get the obligatory frantic airport moment - this one is less touching and more contrived.

The next few weekends basically involve these two going at it like rabbits at any time and in any place. Chloe and Mickey are a beautiful couple in a gorgeous setting, and it's quite obvious they are incompatible as a couple doing anything other than coupling. If thirty-somethings bonding over partying seems like a recipe for disaster, the party they throw will prove your point. It's an understatement to say her circle of sophisticated friends don't mingle well with his group of belligerent scofflaws. Supporting work is provided by Dominique Tipper as Bastian, a former bandmate with Mickey, and Yorgos Pirpassopoulos as Argyris, Mickey's close friend who wields power locally due to family money.

This is really the Sebastian Stan and Denise Gough show. He's a good fit as the charming, self-defeating guy who can't grow up, while she's an enigma - a woman seemingly too smart to fall for this guy and screw up her life after a weekend fling. Ms. Gough is strong in her ability to create a complex character from a fragmented script that forces her to overcome weak dialogue and absurd situations. As an example, Chloe and Mickey have 3 police encounters ... which is 3 more than the average person experiences in a lifetime.

Athens and the island of Antiparos make for a stunning setting for a movie, but the script falls short of the work necessary for this couple to transition from a wild weekend fling to an actual relationship with responsibilities, jobs, and a kid. We see how Chloe feels trapped, but the third act spins out of control as lot of Fridays turn into the titular Monday of reckoning.

In theaters and On Demand April 16, 2021.
29 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing, bit didn't fully come together
joostkale29 April 2021
This movie is almost the definition of intriguing. In the entire first act of the movie, I was thinking to myself: "I like it, but where is it going?" Well, it went somewhere, but not far. The first act start of very interesting and kept me wanting more, but after a while a started to lose interested. The problem with it is that it's showing a big portion of these characters' life's, but without a big plot or story it's start to become a bit tedious. There's a ten-minute scene in the second act about a failed party, but it could have accomplished the same with 3 minutes. And the same counts for the wedding, and another party. While there are so many situations that are dragged out, it could have used that time to show some background for these characters. There a lot of character development, but we don't know much about their history, which is sad because these are very complex characters. This would have made the emotional and darker moments a lot better. I never had a moment where a felt like I knew these characters. There was always more going on, but we never really got to that. It doesn't have to with the performances, because they are excellent. It just never fully got together for me. Started of strong, but without buildup and background I couldn't get behind it at the end.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm inlove. Sebastian Stan is wonderful in this movie ... again!
missjey-184-35684625 April 2021
I watched this movie because of Sebastian Stan. I would watch any movie with him! However, I remained absolutely in love with what I saw. A real love story taken from life itself. It was as if they were filming two people with a hidden camera. The acting is phenomenal! And Sebastian is ...... I have no words! Amazing! Denise Gough too. Congratulations on the wonderful movie! Maybe the plot has some flaws, but the two actors fix everything!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible, fantastic, amazing
juliannecabral16 April 2021
Sebastian Stan, man you're looking. Let me tell you something, you ever see a guy this handsome walk in the streets he's going to get arrested because he's killing all the ladies, look at that pow pow pow pow.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Acting was great. script was weak.
meagandel26 April 2021
Everything was underutilized. Usually movies like this the setting is a character in itself and it was as if Greece was an afterthought. This could have taken place anywhere and it would not have made a difference which undercuts the story.

The characters could have been fleshed out more. Yes, this is about their clearly mismatched/toxic romance, but I wanted to understand them more as individuals. Why did Chloe stay (what was she clearly running from back home)? What did Mickey see in her that allowed him to avoid focusing on his life's own shortcomings? She was a horrible person. She made poor decisions. She indulged in a lifestyle that may have been adopted in Greece, maybe not, but we will never know. Even if Micky was stuck in a perpetually adolescent/self sabotaging cycle I can't see what attracted him to her. It's not like he craved her stability. She couldn't offer any.

Stan and Gough gave amazing performances despite the thin script proving their talent and commitment.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Phenomenal
mavrick3920 April 2021
Monday is such a phenomenal film. Bringing forth truth and grit of life. It didn't shy away from the dirttiness of life, but showed what life is truly. Dirty, hard and sometimes down right crazy. Both Sebastian Stan and Denise Gough brought their characters to life with such passion. Phenomenal job by all.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing and Honest
eliannaaa26 March 2021
Such amazing story... in a unique Athens as a background!
21 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Romance & craziness is a thin line
ks-605002 May 2021
Love the Athens scene and totally an authentic European movie. It's quite a long but not boring movie and surprising n good works from both leading roles.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what was expected.
cheyennemccrory1 May 2021
So I usually don't leave movie reviews unless they really amaze me. With that being said, I just finally had the chance to watch Monday the movie and I have to say I'm simply amazed. After watching the trailer I though I knew what to expect, yet watching the movie defiantly threw what I was expecting out of the window. With it being about a story of two crazy lovers, it's also so much more than that. It shows the trust about real love these days and the ups and downs. The amount of visual, and emotional vulnerability that is shown and portrayed is so well done that sucks you into the movie that much more. Bravo to Sebastian Stan and Denise Gough, to in my opinion a wonderful and fantastic new age, real, love story.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong
meganckcleo18 April 2021
I was kind of sceptic about the film at first. I've watched it twice now. The chemistry between the two main characters is exceptional and pure. They are so passionate and adventurous, both actors are really good at portraying this to the public.

There is a lot of nudity in this film but it doesn't bother me because it adds to the image of their pure, real love.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie belongs to Sebastian Stan
sinnerofcinema28 April 2021
Sebastian Stan was magnificent in this movie. He carried it well. I loved him in Endings, Beginnings and now he killed it again with Monday. I love that he takes daring material and makes it his. He is a true artists. He's not afraid to tackle complex roles and push to the limits. You are my new hero. Please continue to do wonderful work. You have a fan in me. The movie was superb because of you. The Director did a wonderful job directing the actors and bringing the story to life. If there is a Dvd to this movie, I'll sure be ordering my copy. Highly recommend this film because of Sebastian. I followed his movies and all i can say is that he really brings it. He does really great work. Congrats to the team as well. The cinematography, the locations everything was wonderful. I wish there was more nudity and sexual situations pushing boundaries, but what I say was very enjoyable as it is. I'm looking forward to more great work from Sebastian. This guy is bonified movie star material. I could not take my eyes off him.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honest, Real with Award Worthy Performances
This movie is an honest and genuine story that sits upon the shoulders of stellar acting that will wow you.

This is a movie who's story rests within the heart and souls of the characters and the authenticity of them, not in a complex plot line of external factors that change around them. There is an interesting plot that follows them, but it's not the focus. What keeps your eyes glued is the authentic relationship that develops between them. It's so honest and true that I felt I could have been watching home recording of real people. It's the most genuine display of a relationship that I've seen in a long time. Denise Gough and Sebastian Stan are simply phenomenal. The lack of depth in the plot may not give this film award recognition from critics, but believe me when I say the depth of the characters themselves and the actors performances of them is just as good - and in some scenes better - than that of Marriage Story last year with Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson.

When you watch this movie, sit back, relax, and witness two people struggle with themselves, what they want, and who they are - but above all, love and live fiercely. You'll feel yourself in it (at least I did). It's a movie of our times, for sure.

And damn, do I now want to party in Greece!
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
emmalara-5005516 April 2021
I absolutely loved the story and especially the acting! They did a great job, just the end left me a bit confused hahaha.
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
meribelmerisaar17 April 2021
Kinda boring and took me two days to finish LMAOO.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Falling in love with a love story
kikatroise17 April 2021
This film amazed me from the first scene to last.

I felt the love they created wrapping around my bones and give me goosebumps; Sebastian and Denise were perfect for the part and the chemistry was perfect between them.

It's the perfect representation of how love is in real life, crazy and unconditional.

And all the plus situations such as the funny ones added even more beauty to this movie.

Everyone should watch it!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful indie film with 2 outstanding lead actors.
mplacencia-5647117 April 2021
Both lead actors did a phenomenal job with giving these characters such depth and lose themselves in their characters. The scenery, music, talent and all around nature of the film was breathtaking. 2 thumbs up!
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
incredible acting performance
noskovicovamonika16 April 2021
The way Sebastian Stan took the character was breathtaking! Love the movie and it's vibes with my whole heart ! Great job! Definitely worth a watch.
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I couldn't suspend disbelief enough to buy him hooking up with her
geoffreyspears18 April 2021
Her character was so unappealing in every way, there's no way he could be desperate enough to hook up with her, much less fall in love with her. She was mean, pointless and unattractive and even as lost in Peter Pan syndrome as he was, I still couldn't believe he'd sink that low.

The closest metaphor for her character's whole personality and demeanor is fingernails scratching down a chalkboard for the entire length of the film.
10 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
chaeladalgetty16 April 2021
Loved the storyline, shows every emotion and stages throughout a relationship. The chemistry is amazing! Lot of laughs in there too :)
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.