Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet (TV Series 2020– ) Poster

Underrated...
weareone111113 February 2020
Never gets boring, all acting is great for a comedy, unpredictable, twisty, good cinematography; I take it that the poor reviews are the same people that rate all apple shows poorly without watching them. Who cares who hosts the shows? Watch them and rate fairly!
33 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It gets better
mozart-478438 February 2020
After first two episodes, it gets better , there is a tone and style change . Some people likes to compare it to Always Sunny , there are similarities, but it's a different show , try to enjoy it as it is !
31 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wtf was that 5th episode?!
krupocin-18 February 2020
Overall the show is about a 6.75/10, worth a watch but kind of all over the place in tone. It takes a break for the 5th episode though with an entirely different cast (Jake Johnson, etc) to tell a totally different, unrelated story over 20 years and that episode alone was a solid 9/10.

Why didn't they make that the show and stick with that tone?! It was directed by Rob and written by his sister Katie, so it's not like it was an outside team pulled in to do one episode, and it was amazing, and also very serious unlike the goofy, sitcom vibe of the show. The regular show is entertaining enough, but this story had me invested from the opening scene, reminded me a lot of Halt & Catch Fire. Anyway I would say the show is worth a watch but if you don't have the time just watch episode 5 as a stand-alone.
39 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really wanted to like this!
CWaDD879 February 2020
The script causes much of the acting to seem stilted. Many of the characters are difficult to root for. There is a budding relationship that is hard to care about (likely because the characters involved have 2 minutes of screen time prior to the storyline kicking in). Characters are so static and 1-D...do like CW Longbottom though.
27 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it's not oscar worthy . . .
mandorallen-the-lion9 February 2020
But it's so fun why people gotta hate good entertainment. and that episode with jake johnson was actually heartbreaking while remaining infinitely watchable. is it always sunny? obviously not, read the name.
27 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny and well made show
cartsghammond7 February 2020
Mythic quest: Ravens Banquet is part of Apple TV's first go's at original content, and I can't tell you how glad I am that they chose Rob Mcellhenny and Charlie Day to make a show with them. This show looks at the insane ego a person in these positions can get, and how they are willing to sacrifice their employees work conditions to get the results that they want. I'm a huge IASIP fan so I'm familiar with the humor they usually go for. The idea of a video game company isn't something we have never seen before, but every other time it's used as a gimmick without actually knowing how games work. In no way is this a perfect show, but, this is a pretty intelligent show. It's almost to gaming, what Silicon Valley is to tech companies. Some realism is lost through gags and bits but it's one of the most accurate depictions of game studios I've seen. Danny Pudi and David Hornsby are both great in this. So is Rob. This is a quality show. And guys, I know it's not a perfect show, but can you actually give it a go before bashing on it. Thank you
41 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A comedy show for gamers!
TheMovieFan987 February 2020
From the executive producers of 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' comes a perfect comedy show for gamers!

For fans who love comedy shows that set in and/or about office, 'Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet' is unlike any other office comedy you've ever seen!

The casting, including Rob McElhenney, Danny Pudi, David Hornsby, F. Murray Abraham, and more, was very talented; the setting was very good; the humor was entertaining; and the writing was great!

If you're either a gamer or a fan of comedy shows, then go see this hilarious show as your quest for work!
47 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First truly shine gem found on TV+
weihao-peng9 February 2020
Originally thought it's a soap opera regarding a bunch of office people, after 1st episode I found it's a bit SV+the office, but few eps later it becomes something special and unique.

Oh! Charlie Day is awesome!
20 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Depends on your personal taste.
donttouchmeprimate11 February 2020
So, managed to watch it all in one evening. As a big fan of 'Always sunny' I kind of expected a similar experience, this was not the case. Objectively a good show, however it's more in line with 'Ugly Betty' with an attempt to reach a much wider audience by focusing on a few social aspects of the modern world while also never really being about anything and just plodding along.

Some jokes are almost on the verge of "edgey" but this is 100% a teen drama before anything else.

It's not a bad show, it's just not for me in the slightest.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MQ FTW!
anonftwtf7 February 2020
Even without a history of gaming, this show is worth a watch if only to familiarize yourself with the industry while laughing. It has fun and interesting characters that can seamlessly span the distance between silly and serious (mostly silly) without coming across as artificial or preachy. The actors are great and interact well, which left me wishing there were more episodes to binge so I could see how their relationships develop.

I started out just watching a random show in the background while playing an mmo, but it slowly turned into something that drew my full attention as I gradually became completely immersed and invested by the end. Its writing and humor is refreshingly creative, genuine, and original, qualities that are all too rare these days, so I really hope we get to see more episodes soon!

That said, don't let my hype set your expectations too high, there's nothing revolutionary or uniquely exceptional about Mythic Quest... but it got enough right (with nothing wrong) to be my new favorite show.
29 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unfunny , preachy and most of all unfunny
arseneau-conan27 February 2020
Woke trash at its finest . " Programmer girls are paid less and it's a boys club and I hate it " kind of mentality. The scale of the studio is absolutely idiotic. Such a small team for a BILLION dollar game. Written by people who never worked a day in games.

A hacker controlling a NPC? Yeahhhhhhhh no .
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed this.
doohickeydongle11 February 2020
If you like Silicon Valley, there is definitely aspects to this series to like. It's a easy watch, not heavy on subject matter.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
mal-378477 February 2020
The level of detail is astonishing! Very satisfied with the dedication to go with the ITs always sunny in Philadelphia team!

What makes me even more happy, is that a season 2 is already confirmed
26 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what a mess
sderuisseau-920097 February 2020
I Love Always sunny, but this show is hardly funny. Dont bother subbing to Apple for it alone.
40 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Riot Fest
fusion058928 February 2020
I was laughing non-stop through the first few episodes. This show has amazing timing and one-liners. Video game lovers who are into MMORPGs will love this show.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love Always Sunny, but this nowhere near as good
spmact26 February 2020
I wanted to give it a chance as a fan of Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but this show is a chore to get through. I watched all the episodes and only chuckled here and there. The characters are annoying and hard to root for - especially Cricket's assistant. Everyone seems pretty one dimensional and boring.

I'm not an MMORPG player (though I do play video games) so I don't really appreciate that aspect, but you shouldn't have to be to enjoy the show. Plenty of people who don't work in IT still loved Silicon Valley. That is the mark of a good show. Being into the subject matter should only be a bonus, not a necessity.

By far the best episode was the 5th one, but that is a different story line with totally different characters, so it's pretty telling that it's so much better.

It seems like the "Sunny" folks created this show to be really woke and diverse to make up for the criticism that Always Sunny has received, but forgot to actually make it funny.

Overall it gets a 6 from me out of respect for Rob, but really I think the show is a 5/10.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is the shovel
coonissimo18 February 2020
Sterile characters, sterile plot, sterile show. People involved in the series' development give us common sitcom experience cutting all possible unique details that make average a good.
Genuinely a pleasant surprise
jmacaleese15 February 2020
I just binged watched the season not really expecting too much. I like Sunny and I like video games and I got the free year of Apple TV so I figured might as well. And it was good....very good at times. I will say, it's not Always Sunny with video games. So don't go in expecting that like I did. It is however a pretty well done sitcom, that while it doesn't have you on the floor laughing, it is amusing and very touching at times with an engaging story.

Now if you've been reading through reviews, you've definitely seen some people bring up episode 5. And yeah episode 5 is amazing. It's a stand-alone, with a different tone and I love it. I would love to see a show that's just more of episode 5. Not that the rest of the show isn't good, just different.

Only complaint....9 episodes is definitely not enough in a half hour runtime sitcom. Season 2 is green lit so hopefully it's got a little more to it.
great for gamers
bentonpaul11 February 2020
Surprisingly really good for apple tv+. episode 2 was probably the worst so make sure you give it a chance past that. episode 5 was like an amazing short film inside the season. recommended for gamers. kind of geeky, gross, and goofy. give it a go.
This show is so great.
mrc3038 February 2020
I am not going to get into a critical analysis or discuss characters or writing or anything else; I am just going to say that everything about this show is great. The actors, the acting, the writing, the story, everything about this show is perfect. There is not one bad thing about this show.

Personally, I don't like comedies, not because I don't like to laugh, but because almost all comedies are not funny to me. This show however, is silly and intelligent at the same time. It is clever, unique, fresh and funny.

I am really enjoying it (half way through the season) and highly recommend it.
18 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome!
zachwhite-915068 February 2020
Show is great! Super funny and a solid start for Apple TV +. Not to sure what krupocin-1 was talking about with the 5th episode. It ties in with the entire show. Seems like he didn't watch it.
16 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply Not Funny
mmevanille-5309714 February 2020
What happens when you put a few incompetent egotistical idiots in charge of a gaming company?

This is not Silicon Valley. Silicon valley had obscurity, wit and intelligent dialog. Mythic quest has none of these. There is a trend in US comedies to think that putting a bunch of people with loud voices and strong opinions in one room, constitutes good comedy. It does not. I think it stems from the popularity of Seinfeld, where the plot involves making mountains out of molehills. But unlike Seinfeld, this is not well written. The characters are unlikable, the solutions unrealistic. Being unrealistic isn't usually such an issue for comedy style's, as long as there is a comedic reason to do so. For people who like intelligent humour, this isn't it. And this is coming from a long time gamer.
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show deserves a lot higher ratings.
Ninbendo3609 February 2020
This is not just a great take on the booming gaming industry, but on society as a whole. Although I have one gripe. They really f'd up by not making Chardee Macdennis as a mini-game feature.
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't wait for S2
dsteenv9 February 2020
Damn McElhenny is an absolute hero, love this show. Can't wait for S2.

*Watched the whole season twice when writing this.

**F all the Apple Haters giving genius shows like this (and other ATV+ shows) bad reviews...
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not funny, embarrassing
laubepiotr18 February 2020
The biggest mistake you can make with a comedy is t make it not funny. But here we have series that is just embarrassing. If there would be just a bit of research behind the MMORPG genre to make the story a bit more real, maybe the whole thing would be a bit more watchable. The extra star from me is for Murray Abraham, whom I love for this role in the Mozart movie. Anyway, Mythic Quest - waste of time.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.