Connect (2019) Poster

(2019)

Man is a social animal
Heisenb30 November 2019
"Man is a social animal" - a quote that is attributed to Aristotle and a line from the movie, holds an important truth and is probably the core message. We need connections with others for many reasons. Connect reminds us of this and shows us some uncomplicated ways of doing so. As well as some other good points to keep on living and how we can choose to think about things. It seems dull at moments. But this is it's power. Once the nature of this movie is understood it can be appreciated for what it is.

SPOILER - about the ending:

There is some suspense/mystery/foreboding as an recurring element which was successful in drawing me in and it kept me wondering what certain things meant and how it would all end. First i thought the final scene is only there to shock us and keep us thinking/talking about the movie and it's subject. I wanted a happy positive ending you see.

But the more sinister and logical explanation is that Brian's story ended when he sees a certain hoodie and a rope. What follows is another life that he could never experience. Perhaps that fantasy flashes before his eyes in his last moments and we get to see it. Reminds me of something that some 'jump survivors' have mentioned about what they wanted after they jumped. That they suddenly wished they had not done it but could keep on living and change their life. And some have indeed changed their lives for the better and are now even helping others.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film well made
djhoggie22 July 2020
Great film well made around a delicate subject. Great cast and director and wonderfully shot
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Serious topic but good execution
ks-6050028 January 2020
For the mental illness or disability to connect really a serious topic, I think it's one of the few films did that. The theme kinda serious but the way they tell us is not bad. It's kinda good indeed. Just don't treat this movie as a romance but treat as a patient way of life.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very creditable debut
CinemaSerf4 November 2019
I used to holiday in North Berwick as a child so was drawn to this more for sentimental reasons than for any great interest in the film itself. The setting and solid performances from Kevin Guthrie and Siobhan Reilly make for an interesting, if somewhat predictable effort. I found the last 20 minutes of the film a little too formulaic. That said, the cinematography shows off this lovely East Lothian town to good effect and all in all it is a well worth watching - perhaps on telly, though?
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A brilliant film that'll hit you like no other!
brionymonroe27 March 2019
A beautifully shot film set in Scotland. This film deals with a complex, serious issue which is a blight on the lives of so many today. This powerful tale written and directed by the incredibly talented Marilyn Edmond is told very well by a wealth of amazing talent, both in front of and behind the camera. Lead actor Kevin Guthrie delivers an outstanding performance as Brian, he is well supported by Siobhan Reilly who is wonderful as Sam and Cameron Fulton who, as Gavin, is the torchlight within the darkness by bringing such a wonderful element of humour. When watching this film the quality (grading, soundtrack, etc.) was really something to behold as was the attention to detail and it was hard to believe we were watching a low budget film. It was a fantastic job by all involved. It is a story that had to be told and has to be heard, please see this if you can. You won't regret it.
4 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful and moving indie film
piersjustinalban4 January 2020
Full disclaimer, I have no connection at all to this production, and this is my first review for IMDB. Believable characters and a sensitive portrayal of a very real issue that avoids falling into an overly polemical approach. Lovely setting and a great debut. I shed a few tears watching this, one minor character references "Its a wonderful Life" and you can see some retractions of that film's theme, that we are or should be connected to those around us.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Film and Great Story
a-borland16 March 2019
Well done to Maz Edmund Director , Film Writer on her extraordinary story which is so close to a lot of Family these days . Well done to all the Actors especially Kevin Guthrie in his role in this brilliant self funded film. I had the pleasure of being an extra with my husband in a non speaking part in this amazing film it was filmed in 15 days from start to finish , all the actors put a lot of hours in to help this film be made I have never realised what goes into making any films etc but every single person works hard and to see the final film on screen was such a thrill. You should all be so proud of all your hard work . Lets hope it gets onto the Big Screen and TV as this film needs to be shown worldwide.
3 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't really connect, but a worthy effort
spewy2916726 November 2019
It's a film it's hard to dislike, set in a beautiful part of Scotland, with solid direction, and music and about very important subject material.

It would have been better to have gone the extra mile and really dig much deeper into the causes, feelings of and symptoms of depression. It seems the protagonist wants to off himself at everthing that doesn't go perfectly in his life.

The film is also structured in a very sober and boring manner with awkward pauses which somewhat seems like it's a bit of a soap opera, ready for TV and not really a big screen work.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought provoking film
beejaywilson-2964624 March 2019
This film was beautifully shot in North Berwick .The script was handled with great sensitivity and insight and still had wry humour . I remained engaged with the characters throughout the film and had to keep asking questions of myself as the plot moved on . Well acted , well written , well directed and well edited. Will recommend this film to all my family and friends . Great job Maz Edmond on your debut film .Not your last I am sure.
2 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did he kill himself in the end?
limrej28 November 2019
Please answer, loved the movie though. But i cant explain the end i thought everyone was just a figment of his imagination
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great debut from Marilyn
thecoullsinthepans12 September 2019
When I watched this film you could have heard a pin drop. It was an excellent and thoughtful film I will definitely watch again the actors were wonderful and lots of local talent as well. I am sure we will be attending many more of Maz's films. Very proud of our local lass.
1 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Beautifully Bold Debut from a Strong Scottish Talent
RossSKelly14 May 2019
Writer/Director Marilyn Edmond truly does, what can be tough subject to tackle, with such delicate creativity and poetic justice. Supported by a shoestring budget and tight schedule, Edmond creates a resilient piece of cinematic storytelling with a careful dash of Scottish humour and heart. Blending drama and comedy is no easy feat and Edmond portrays it so beautifully, supported by the stellar cast and showcasing the magnificence of the Scottish landscape. Guthrie nails his leading performance with such small subtle characteristics, showcasing the poisonous effects of mental illness in contemporary manhood. Reilly and Fulton support the story in their own distinctive way The story, the themes, the messages, this is a story that needs to be seen. Writer/Director Marilyn Edmond is just getting started.
1 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant Film
jamesmckayofficial16 March 2019
Everything about this film is just incredible for a small budget film and directorial debut. The story subject, which is becoming increasingly relevant, is handled beautifully by writer/director and acted out perfectly by the cast. The setting of North Berwick plays an equally major part in the film, as does the music, lighting and cinematography. Top Mark's.
1 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.