The Promised Neverland (TV Series 2019–2021) Poster

(2019–2021)

Brilliant Horror Anime
invisibleunicornninja20 January 2019
I realize I might be jumping the gun a bit, calling it "brilliant" when only two episodes have been released so far, but so far its pretty great. I don't want to spoil anything, seeing as how this is a show where you definitely don't want to know what is going on beforehand, but I will say that it is pretty intense.

The animation is pretty amazing. I have seen very few other anime where the camera regularly moves around 2D environments like this. Its very impressively drawn.

----

Ok, season one is over now. This show is awesome and I look forward to season two coming out.
73 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ahmedgorshy5 September 2020
Most of the animes does not deserve to be entered in the Top 250 IMDB list, but this one deserves it and deservedly There are not many words to describe this anime, in terms of the drawing, the drawing is clear and beautiful and in terms of intelligence, I can say that it is similar to Death Note (you can see my list about the shows that resemble Death Note) and Neverland is one of them. The most important thing in the show is music and songs, and the best word to describe them is addiction, especially intro. The first 6 episodes were modest, but I advise you to watch it all at once, and with each episode, the anime will become more wonderful. The best episode is 11 with a rating of 9.6 and then the last. I hope that the second season maintains the distinction of the first season My rating is 9.4
60 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible ending
jespervanvoorst-8387927 March 2021
This serie started amazing the first season is definitely one of the best seasons in anime. But, damn did it drop the ball in the second season. It was as if the studio did not want to continue doing this season anymore after the manga had ended. The manga although not perfect is by far the best version of this serie just read that. The last episode of season 2 had literally no animation it was just a slide show. It clean as day that the studio did not want to put effort in it. Also there is no writer credit in the last two episodes because they knew they did a horrible job.
36 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliantly done
Spring01923 March 2019
This show is already one of my favorites. The first season is more of a psychological thriller and the writers are patient in letting the plot develop. The main characters are very smart and cautious, and their opponents are equally as cunning, giving the first season of the show a similar "battle of the minds" vibe as Death Note. I am looking forward to future seasons, especially given how good the manga is.
145 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Anime of the year (THE PROMISED NEVERLAND)
arishsankar2 June 2019
I began watching this with great expectations that were quickly surpassed by an incredible adaptation that combines great voice acting, suspense, top-notch animation and certain psychological thriller elements to tell its amazing story.

This is surely one of the best Anime of 2019
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Promised Neverland
Tweekums5 April 2019
Set in the year 2045, this anime is centred on Emma, Norman and Ray; three children living in Grace Field House, an orphanage. Here they are looked after by a caring 'mother' who provides them with their needs. They wait to be adopted by a loving family; the latest this ever happens is their twelfth birthday. The only rule is that they may not leave the grounds until they are adopted. Everything is great for them until one day they learn a terrible truth; after that they work to find a way to escape along with the other orphans.

This anime series is distinctly bleak... the revelation at the end of the first episode is one of the biggest shocks in any series I've watched and once revealed effects every moment to come. The characters are impressive; not just the likeable children but also characters who initially appear good but are in fact anything but. Despite little real violence there is a real air of menace and futility. The creators have given the series a great look which makes it stand out from most other series; the characters are distinctive and the backgrounds beautifully rendered. Overall I'd say this is a must see; I can't wait for season two.

These comments are based on watching the series in Japanese with English subtitles.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best anime in 2019.
abdalla-7687122 March 2019
It is the best anime and I can't told you how much the anime looks good.
46 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantatic horror anime as well as the manga
Irishchatter3 February 2019
I honestly think its the best series ever been created for a long time, I couldnt help myself but stopped at the 4th episode and moved onto the manga already like guys, its so amazing!

This is totally like Peter Pan but on a totally different darker level!

Seriously lads, go watch the anime or read the manga, you are missing out a great series if you haven't checked it out already!
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like why
kareemelsayed-6792726 February 2021
Look the first season was soooooooo good I'm not kidding but if your are planing to watch it watch the first season and go read the manga yes I know the ending was bad but if is significantly better than that trash that they call season 2 they skipped 4 arcs like why but to be honest season to is Average but compared to season one it is trash first of all what made this anime battle a legend as death note was the mind tricks and how it is so realistic but in season none of that is hear so that is my review thank you for reading.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
abdalla-7687126 May 2019
The story in this anime is amazing, I love it. No mistake, this is a best anime in world.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great anime adaptation of a great manga
ste_palom29 March 2019
What happens when you mix the epic games of wits, strategies and dialogue from Death Note with the world building, violence and mystery of both Attack on Titan and Made in Abyss and then you add a bit of your own creativity to it? Well you get The Promised Neverland. Now, I am not trying to say this show is a copy of the other three I previously mention, is just that this show takes all these elements and mix them to create a very original and brilliant show.

Because this show has so many twists (even the main plot is a plotwist itself) I will focus very little on the plot. This show is about a bunch of kids living in an orphanage, they have live there for their entire life, knowing nothing about the rest of the world and the only adult they have ever seen is the woman that takes care of them which they call Mom. The story focus one the three older kids in the orphanage called Emma, Ray and Norman who after discovering the true about their home are forced to take action. I gotta say that this three kids are one of the best team of characters I have ever seen in any anime. All three kid are incredible smart but Emma is the one who's definitely less intelligent than there other two but what she lacks in intelligence she has in heart, guts and determination. Ray is the more objective but also the most manipulative and cunning of the three while also been extremely smart. Norman could be consider the smartest of all the kids but he also cares deeply for all the children, especially for Emma and Ray. There are also some other kids who are very solid characters but the main three kids have a way better character development. Speaking of great characters, both Mom and another character introduce latter called Sister Krone are also really damm good. Is because of the variety of characters that sometimes we can watch some genius plans like in Death Note, other times we get mystery and world building and other times we gruesome and nightmare fuel scenes like in Attack on Titan or Made in Abyss.

The art and animation in this show is beautiful, not the best in the industry but is still pretty damm solid. The soundtrack is absolutely incredible because is perfect for every different type of scenes that we can watch in this show.

Overall, this show was amazing, it did cut some parts of the manga (the inner thoughts and monologues of the characters been one of those things) which still leave the manga as the superior version of the story but I believe this anime was still a very successful adaptation. I can't wait for 2020 to watch season 2! Update: DON'T watch season 2, it awful, watch season one and then read the manga.
26 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the second season
arminsoufian27 March 2021
I would put a 9/10 of it was only season 1 but the second season is god awful, stay as far away as possible.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First Season was great, second not so much.
Corina_D_26 March 2021
The first season was a horror slow based thriller, the second ended up being something of an extremely fast paced action that didn't even go off the manga. The only reason I'm rating this a five is because the first season was so good. The second season was a huge letdown that time skipped important scenes that would've shown character development and a more clear understanding of how the children where able to get to their final destination. Not worth the watch.
45 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This ish right here?
shadikn317 February 2019
This is one of the most interesting anime's i've seen on the dark side since Monster and Death Note. I don't know where to start. Just extremely amazing. This would be a very good live movie. I'm waiting for new episodes. This is mouth watering mysterious, dramatic and suspensful. Gosh i'm glad i was bored and clicked on it.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
amazing
randy-2655620 October 2019
This is absolutely one of the best anime of 2019. It was amazing
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utterly fantastic, both manga and anime
Reckno6412 June 2019
This show is damn near perfect. It is dark, but in the best way possible to get you invested. The characters are all memorable from the lovable and caring Emma, to the smart and strategic Norman, to the cunning and manipulative (but still caring) Ray. Even the antagonists are legitimately interesting and relatable such as Isabella the caretaker and Sister Krone. The animation is perfect, the score is perfect, there is very little I can say against this show. It is one of the best anime in recent years that I have seen. If you don't mind a little dark and disturbing themes, this anime is a really good watch (the manga too)! I can't wait for them to adapt the newer manga books into anime form next year! Go CloverWorks!!!!! :)
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't watch the second season.
maxwellvinh28 July 2021
First season: absolutely thrilling and amazing concept. Definitely one of the best anime from 2019.

Second season: what where the writers thinking! They screwed it up. Such a downgrade from the first season, it's embarrassing. You really can just stop after you finish the first season. You're not missing out on anything.

Overall rating: 7.1.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thrilling, Emotional and Unique storyline..Amazing characters
siddyme17 January 2020
This anime packs a punch...just watched it by chance...characters are witty and story keeps u interested till the last episode.. waiting for the next season <3
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the S1 to see a masterpice and watch the S2 to see how a masterpice turn into a TRASH
mehdiyama30 March 2021
I saw the S1 and it was a great anime. And I saw the S2 and I realized how a masterpiece can reach the depths of the sewer . I consider that there is no S2.

But honestly, I didn't read the manga So the second season wasn't so bad to me. But the storyline has so many holes that it goes on as if it does not exist at all. There is not the slightest sign of the element of horror in the S2.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This felt so real-
alexhayes-077145 October 2020
This is so interesting.. it even felt real a couple times:0 overall I love this so much!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Completely loses itself
x_manicure_x24 August 2021
Even though I found it a bit toothless and slow-paced at times, "The Promised Neverland" seemed to be a quite promising series (no pun intended). After an uncertain beginning, the show unexpectedly morphed into some kind of psychological thriller with fantasy/horror elements. The main characters fall into the usual anime stereotypes, but their chess game with "Mom" definitely offered some interesting moments. The writers seem to like throwing in continuous plot twists and cliffhangers: some worked, some don't, some were mere ass pulls.

On the contrary, the second season has nothing worth watching: just childish anime chit-chat and cheap fanservice. Despite literally nothing happening for eight whole episodes, the ending was rushed and solved way too conveniently. The lack of effort is evident when you get entire story arcs summed up with slideshows or weird recap episodes in the middle of the season. Maybe they canceled the show or got budget cuts, even though that seems highly unlikely considering how popular it is in Japan.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skip Season 2, just read the manga, or don't, as long as you don't watch S2
MarvashMagalli23 February 2021
S1 is a 10 S2 is a 4

Average is 7, since this website is adamant about not letting us rate seasons individually.
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Thriller
gingeryzane17 January 2020
I saw a review referencing a Death Note similarity within the show, which is absolutely correct. In a more modern and understandable way, the show has you on your toes wondering who will outwit who in the end of each episode. It's a breathe of fresh air within an anime, and has incredible potential. The show could end now and still be incredible, THATS HOW WELL MADE THE FIRST SEASON IS.

Hats off.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop after season one!!!
melvinjasarevic8 February 2021
The second season dropped significantly in quality. While every moment from season one seams to have a purpose leading to a big reveal, season two just wanders around aimlessly and is mostly cringy and unpleasant to watch. Season two is so much worse than the first one that it actually worsens the whole experience.
32 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ruined masterpiece
mkunknown19 March 2021
TPN S1 was one of the best anime season I ever watched. It was so good that I finished reading manga in next 4-5 days after completing season 1. I was eagerly waiting for S2 to be animated but I (probably every fan who have read manga) was disappointed when I came to know that it will follow original scenarios. I said ok...no problem, let's watch how it goes but I was stunned when it skipped about 35% manga after S1 (covered 20% of manga). Main disappointment was that it skipped one of the best arcs (Goldy pond arc) and villain (one of my favourite - Archduke Leuvis). I was like ok so it will continue following manga from here but remaining manga (45%) was completed in next 4-5 episodes. Frustrating, but there was nothing I could do. It really hurts when your favourite anime (or one of your favourite anime) is ruined when it deviate from manga just after S1 and skips everything.

Abstract : Season 1 - 13 episodes (21% manga) Season 2 - 11 episodes (Rest of the manga) 😒
31 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.