Ava (2020) Poster

(IV) (2020)

same old material
thai34 August 2020
Seem to have seen many almost the same films over the past few years. Assassin with military background falling foul of her employers who turn on her. The only difference with this one was there is almost no story, why are people being killed, why turn on such a good operative. I would have walked out but it was raining
411 out of 495 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic Hollywood tragicomedy of incompetence
notany22 August 2020
This is classic Hollywood comedy: Actor (played by Jessica Chastain) who also owns the production company (Freckle Films) hires another actor with one hit as a director to direct an action flick written by his actor friend and they get many famous actors to act on it. How hard it is to do an action film with famous actors. It's surely a huge hit.

Little they know, the actor-writer is not a good writer and actor-producer is not good at reading scripts as he think he is. Because everyone is friends with everyone, nobody is honest. Hilarity ensues. Experience is tragic for the audience. Comedy for the Hollywood insiders.
529 out of 643 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
yuliekyani23 August 2020
SPOILER ALERT I dont understand why good actors like Jessica Chastain and Colin Farrell took part in this movie. There is no story at all. They fight for no reasons and the fighting scenes are not even enjoyable. 1. The alcoholic background is useless 2. The reason why Simon tries to kill ava is weak 3. The family issue only makes it more of a TV drama 4. Why does Simon kill Duke again? 5. What's the deal with Tony? 6. Why does Ava have to fight the whole club security just to pay Michael's debt? Why? 7. After resisting so hard on drinking alcohol, she finally did it. And what? Nothing happened? The whole movie makes it like something really bad going to happen if she drinks. Well...she drinks and what? She still fights Simon. 8. Simon and Ava fight. Just...wth happened? They just stop fighting? Seriously...Simon just stop trying to kill her and walk away and what? So Ava can have time to chase him with a gun? And why does Simon walk? Oh So he comes to the hotel walking? No car? 9. And for the love of God please stop with the hair! It's so tiring and frustrating to see Jessica Chastain struggle with the hair through the whole movie!
339 out of 410 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor casting and poor production
fallyhag21 August 2020
I like Chastain as an actor bit this is not her genre. This film felt very cheap. The story dull, the direction amateur and the action scenes were really really bad. You could see the fight scenes coming from a mile away. The poor story telling was so bad that the excuses to have a fight we're incredibly lame.

I can't explain why so many top actors took part in this cheese fest. I got goose bumps as they had to blurt out their awful lines. The whole thing just felt B-Roll amateur. Not recommended.
214 out of 280 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cliché After Cliché...
tccandler22 August 2020
Jessica Chastain plays an international hit-woman. John Malkovich is her handler. It sounds like a Luc Besson thriller in the making. It's not. This is a ludicrously hard-to-believe story with soap-opera level writing and stiff performances all around. Everyone has a haunted past... infidelities... alcoholism... gambling addiction... cliché after cliché. At no point did anyone convince me of their character. This feels like the first draft in a college freshman's scriptwriting class.
123 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Michael ruined the film!
peter-laganis26 August 2020
The first 30 minutes were really promising. Good action, suspenseful vibe, great acting... but as soon as one of the secondary character Michael appears, everything flops. Not only because of his insecure and awkwardly mediocre acting, which reminded me of some cheap drama or love story soap opera... but because he represents an entry point into Ava's past. A boring past which has nothing to add to the story or her character.

So if we crop off all the family stuff and stick to the action... then it could be a solid 7. In stead it is a poor 6.

Worth mentioning: Jessica Chastain and John Malkovich performances are great. Colin Farrell somehow sticks to his (good) average, but who really disappoints is Geena Davis. Her approach personally felt to me like "Let's make it clear - I'll say some words, get the money and leave."
166 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just... don't.
nirohonyi21 August 2020
I could write and explain the how absurdity bad this movie is - from absolutely incoherent storylines, to fights that are so edited and cut, that they are impossible to understand - but I'm just gonna put this as clear as possible: Don't waste your time.

Oh, by the way, a secret assassin's organization would have operatives that are, let's say, good at their job?

Andwhoever the choreographer for the "fight sequences" was, he/she was definitely not a vet, or even a martial arts fighter with understanding of how a REAL fight flows.

Here's to you Colin Farrell, and you Glock with a REFLEX SIGHT and ridiculous suppressor. You stealthy, sneaky, sneaky assassin's.
202 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and cliché
expe6721 August 2020
No real reason for this movie to be made.100% predictable,no likeable characters,no one to root for,chastain kicks ass just about everyone but does not seem strong or body trained,the whole thing is laughable.she also does not possess the star power to like her regardless.boring and stupid.
188 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total waste of time and cast
matexunleashed23 August 2020
The movie is simply horrible. A little non muscular woman overpowers dudes 2-3 times her weight with ease, breaks their bones with punches which even don't seem to tire her, snaps necks like it's nothing. The fighting scenes are pure laughter, scenario or story is simply non existent, the background of characters is non existent. It's really really bad and a total waste of your time. I would also say that it's an insult to waste such goods actors for something like this, strange they didn't aim higher than this.
107 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Vacuous Assault or A Vile Abhorrence...
Xstal21 August 2020
Paint a black spot on the door of this and walk away at pace. A mercenary cast, not only in the story, assassinating any engagement you may have developed from the start and doing it with some ease - All Very Awful.
141 out of 208 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some people needed a pandemic paycheck
mitch_phxaz22 August 2020
This was a terrible movie. There's just no good points in it. The whole thing is a mess. The storyline is all over the place.
106 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A 5th grader could've written this better
TopDawgCritic6 December 2020
How and why would you take a hit-man (hit-"person" to be politically correct) genre that's been done so many times before, screw it up, AND turn it into a soap opera?

I mean this whole Michael thing is straight out of "Days of Our Lives". Why not create a heartfelt conflict between the sisters and their mom, instead of just seemingly-random cast Common as Michael. Like my heading says, a 5th grader could've written (and directed) this better. I get that actor/trying-to-become-a-writer Matthew Newton is a newb, but to have such an all-star talent line-up, you'd think he would've at least had a seasoned writer proofread the script to avoid embarrassment. His screenplay was riddled with plot and technical issues, it was convoluted, and borderline laughable. Only in the last approx. 15 mins did it grab and hold my attention.

To make matters worse, actor/trying-to-become-a-director Tate Taylor failed miserably in directing his cast, and certain scenes were horribly directed. Don't get me started on the lame action scenes. Right from the start, Jessica Chastain was unconvincing as an assassin, and I know in front of a seasoned director, she would've nailed it. Even A-list actors need direction in scenes. With Taylor, her fight scenes were phony, as was her character.

I feel really bad for the A-listers having this mess on their resume. This type of filmmaking is more suited for the Steven Seagal and Bruce Willis has-been B-movie type actors. Now, watch seasoned filmmaker Luc Besson's "Anna", who cast (as a lead!) never-heard-of amateur actress (in her first-ever acting role) Sasha Luss, and his writing, directing and action scenes will blow your mind, especially compared to this mess! The moral of this story here is, don't blow your money on A-list actors in hopes they will make your film a success; instead, put that money towards film school, then cast a Sasha Luss type newb actor, and you'll have a better chance for a successful film. It's a very generous 6/10 from me - mostly out of pity for the A-listers.
37 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laughable
yves-vanherreweghe21 August 2020
The worst movie of 2020. I'm 100% sure the storyline is written by a 5 year old. It made me wonder why great actors participate in such a movie? Not all of them can be broke, no 🤔. I wanted to give an example that says it all, but actually I already wasted to many words on it...
131 out of 204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You only need 7 minutes to undestand the work and dedication that went in making this movie..
mirceacn21 August 2020
In the first 5 minutes, she shuts Peter hand/phone, bullet breaks the window (window cracks..) (it's a movie so we will get pass the fact that they have super eardrums .. ). Ok, she drives on the back left car windows are brand new :D .. sorry I will stop watching here I imagine the rest is just bad too, the movie factory just make quantity over quality..
122 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
30% Action 70% Telenovela
carlos5128 August 2020
Ava Starts AWESOME with great international spy assassin action, though it fast lost heat, getting to the level of a soap opera drama with unbelievable amount of tears that i could not like.

It should have stayed on track with action, but no.

Still, i can admire the effort and above all the all-star cast, that includes the always beautiful Joan Chen, as well as old time fave John Malkovich who fought pretty good when his time came.

Jessica Chastain in her main character role as well as her nemesis Colin Farrell also did a good work, as expected from them.

The cast even includes two Oscar winners: rapper Common and the forever gorgeous Geena Davis, who at 64 even looked more elegant and stylish than the much younger Chastain during the scene where the two women played cards.

So, as you can infer, cast is not a problem. Problem (in my eyes) was the plot that did make this flick and all action thriller. Because the tears and the telenovela subplot deflate the excitement, preventing the film to reach an awesome peak that would have made it truly memorable. That - sadly - did not happen.

Nevertheless, the Ava is acceptable, probably the best in offer in cinemas right now. I'd say it'd be worth of your bucks and time.
90 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forgettable n unconvincing film laden with family melodrama n cliches aft cliches.
Fella_shibby4 September 2020
Female assassin on the run, history of brutal kills, ex military, etc...the list goes on n there r many similar movies. But when u make a movie on a bad ass female assassin pls dont put family melodrama n cliches aft cliches. The hand to hand combat is not choreographed well, the film is devoid of tension n suspense n the worst is the piece of cake assasination plan. Jessica Chastain aint convincing as an assassin. As a fan of Colin Farrell, i got disappointed. Well, he is in good shape but the footage is very less. So ther is a scene wher the character of Chastain is narrating her alcohol abuse n childhood stuff in a group therapy and jus when poor Tony's turn came to share, the camera cut off, how selfish man. Gena Davis played an assassin in Long Kiss Goodnight n sad to see her in bad condition, very old n with those plastic surgery lips. The woman who played Chastain's sis (she was ther in Teeth n It) has a very chubby face n poor ol John Malkovich talking as if he is wheezing but he does get to kick some ass.
69 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pointless
nrdtunday22 August 2020
Same old material been renewed and also a no brainer
74 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rubbish film 2/10
minglondon26-677-36854024 August 2020
Just a really bad film from the fighting to the acting. you know what will happen before it dose. she cant fight at all. and the cut seens are so so bad
58 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just say NO to rappers!!!
iamtheonewhoknockss26 September 2020
Stop putting Common in movies. He has the charisma and acting ability of wet paint!
31 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dreadful Fighting Sequences and Pointless, Mindless Story
leftbanker-124 August 2020
Is the writing bad because the audience is stupid, or are the writers all a bunch of dorks who do nothing but play video games and watch lousy movies? Either way, this movie is an assault on your intelligence at almost every step. Why do film makers think that the more people who get gunned down in an action scene, the better? An orgy of gunfire and murder are rarely called for, and this over-the-top school of storytelling takes away any sort of tension the scene may have had at one point.

First of all, shoot a pistol inside of a car (with the window up!) and if you weren't deaf before, you will be, at least for a while.

By my count, she killed 17 people at the hotel in Saudi Arabia, obviously up against The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight. If she had killed two people who happened upon her, it could have been exciting...and believable. 17? Just completely stupid.

The rapper guy may look the part, but he's no actor. Whatever, it was a stupid, thankless role. There was already enough drama in the story without adding her personal life, but that's the Hollywood formula machine grinding away.

Puerile as the story was all along, the ending went even lower and dumber.

Colin Farrell-whose character is a deadly assassin-gets his butt handed to him in hand-to-hand combat by an old man, and then a woman. I don't mean to be ageist or sexist, but have you ever seen a woman or a guy pushing 70 in the UFC? And then when he is in this desperate battle to the death with Ava, they both are sort of chuckling, like this is all good fun. Unless they are both psychopaths, it wouldn't be fun, not even a little. This sort of mirth robs the scene of any tension because they make it out like they are just having fun, instead of being in a fight for their very lives.
41 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reviews on here are harsh
tracy-9732012 December 2020
The 1 and 2 star reviews are just ridiculously harsh, I've seen worser films that ppl rave about like they are some film connoisseur...it's a decent action flick...a bit like a female version of John wick but a bit more gritty...cuz let's be honest the John wick story lines are hardly riveting just lots of bullets but they still made 3 of them. She's a decent actress & does a pretty awesome job of being bad ass but not in your hair/make up always perfect cliche kinda way. If you wanna watch a simple story line, with a good bit of fighting & a steady 1hr30 entertainment then just give it a watch & ignore the absurdly harsh reviews on here
38 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite generic and nothing special, but entertaining in the moment
ethanbresnett20 December 2020
Ava is one of those films that is enjoyable, but will quickly be forgotten. It doesn't have any major or glaring flaws, but equally it doesn't have anything extra special that makes it stand out.

I absolutely love Jessica Chastain as an actress, and so she was the highlight for me. I thought she brought a good performance to a character who, despite not being too developed, had enough to maintain my interest.

The story felt very familiar. If you're into the action genre, you won't find anything ground breaking here. That's not to say it wasn't enjoyable. It was fun to watch, it just hasn't left a lasting impression on me.

In terms of the action, once again it was exciting, but it wasn't anything new. There were some pretty decent set pieces and some good fight choreography, and the action was well paced throughout.

Ultimately I'm happy I watched Ava. It kept me entertained for an hour and a half, and at the end of the day isn't that why we watch films?
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average storyline but good acting
kkrao-0271631 December 2020
1st half builds some momentum but 2nd half doesn't live up to expectations. Acting is good and good OTT watch.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What you would expect..... but
dhampton275031 December 2020
Jessica chastain.... very few work as hard as she does, and it shows. Geena Davis, love ya. All good until the last 10 minutes or so.... goes off the rails and never comes back. Terrible sequel setup. Feels like the funding ran out. Seriously though, JC, I am always impressed with your performances.... always real and believable. You make me feel what the characters feel. I give you and Geena 10's..... the films as a whole looks like a 6. Probably a 7 until the end.....I enjoyed it, thank you.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining enough
Vikroypanth18 December 2020
Interesting cast, beautiful scenery and entertaining story. I didn't mind the melodrama, the toxic mom was relatable, and her family issues explained her alcoholism. Milla Jovovich still dominates in this arena, but Jessica put on a decent show. My boyfriend chuckled that Jessica would not be able to beat up all those men... maybe he's being sexist??
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.