Matthias & Maxime (2019) Poster

Good French-Canadian Film
socratesadamo10 June 2019
What struck my most about this film was that, just twenty minutes in, I got the feeling that I was watching a totally new kind of film. It's different from anything else. You don't notice it at first though. It follows the same sorts of conventions as other films, but at a certain moment I realized it had a completely unique tone to it which I personally had never seen before.

I don't know if it was deliberate. I don't know if it's something that's existed in other films, but it's certainly something I don't recall having ever seen myself. It almost feels like what some would call realism, but it's not. And since it's not quite that, it ends up being something completely different. It's subtle at first, but it never lets up. The wonderful camerawork only adds to it. Recommend.
31 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I just loved it
jettaaaha316 November 2019
I saw this piece at the queer film festival Mezipatra in Brno (Czech republic) and I liked it a lot. Camerawork is splendid, actors feel authentic and the soundtrack was perfect for the tone of the movie 10/10
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a great story at all
alaz_izmir3 March 2020
Dysfunctional family issues especially with his mother, repressed feelings for a childhood friend (Max), broken relationships, guilt are the cliched contexts in his last work which can be seen often in his previous films such as Tom at the farm, I killed my mother, Mommy... Quiet predictable script. Rating: 5.5
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My new favourite movie
mirka-glassova22 February 2020
I saw this movie already 2 times and will probably see again. Amazing writting and even better acting also from Xavier himself.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie!
giorgiddd30 March 2020
I have seen all of the films directed and written by Xavier and I can honestly say that it's one of the best from his work!

Beautiful story, sophisticated scene, amazing actors and actresses... with nice soundtracks.

Thanks a lot!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.