Fisher (2021) Poster

(2021)

Bible Thumping
gab-6759918 November 2021
I love a good Indy film but this was one of those movies you watch just to make fun of. I felt like I was made to go to church after watching this. Thankfully I had enough good since to FF through the sermon part. That being put aside the overall movie was not bad. I loved Kimmy and as a former resident of Columbia TN, it felt like they didn't set the bar too high for themselves. Could I figure out who the killer was after about 20mins, yes. But the overall ride was ok, and I do not feel like my time was wasted. Clara sucked. But I guess if you have teenage kids and want them to behave online and go to church, then make them watch this one. For me, it was a one and done type thing and I could not honestly recommend this movie unless you like church movies.
3 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ruined by the worst acting and writing you'll ever see
phantasmda19 November 2021
I went into this film knowing very little about it, only the synopsis on here and the rating of 6.4 it had from 160+ people, this has since plummeted and rightly so.

I didn't watch the trailer as I didn't want anything spoiling but boy do I wish I had done.

Most of the reviews on here were glowing 10 star reviews from people who have only opened an account to post this one review, so I knew straight away that most of these were plants, it's kind of expected on here from low budget indie films these days. I generally ignore all of these and go straight for the more honest reviews written by people who have been a member for over a year and have written a good few reviews. And if you go by this logic, then you'll see what quality this film really is.

I'll give credit where it's due here, there was a couple of good ideas in this film that could have worked had they have been done correctly and the twist ending, even though I saw it coming a mile away, was fairly satisfying but that's pretty much it as far as positive things I can say.

The acting in this flick is beyond atrocious, I honestly haven't seen acting this stilted, this wooden and lines delivered in such a cringeworthy fashion in a long long time.

The main girl, though very pretty, just can not act, some of her line delivery is awful and at no point does she come off as anything other than someone 'acting' The Indian friend she has is even worse, not only can she not act for toffee but when she speaks, she just stares off into the distance like there's just no one home. There's no expression on her face whatsoever. You'd think from what I have said that these 2 are the worst actors in this film but you'd be wrong.

There are scenes involving a police officer questioning people and another with a headmistress that are painful to watch. The acting from these 2 is probably the worst I have ever seen in a movie, the headmistress especially.

The only people in the movie that even come close to pulling off any kind of performance are the black lesbian friend, the religious scorned wife and her nerdy son, everyone else are awful.

There's not one character in this film I cared about and it was just so utterly boring and dull. A vast majority of this 2 hour monster is spent watching young girls talk and make craft projects, nothing happens to excuse this run time. There's literally one scene at the start of the film and one at the end, the rest of it is talking, young girls relationship issues, a bullied boy, a mother who's upset and hallucinating because she thinks her pastor husband is having an affair, more young girls talking. Oh, and there's a window cleaning and sweeping up montage that goes on forever. It literally is just scene after scene of a kid washing the same windows, sweeping up balls of paper and looking into a toilet with a plunger, it's tedious.

There's about 5 different plot threads that go absolutely nowhere, only there to serve as red herrings for who the killer is.

Some of the action scenes (and I use that term loosely as there's like, 2) are hilariously bad, man in a mask with a knife grabs weak young girl and stabs her in the leg, she kicks him and runs off to the bedroom, looks around the room, runs to the window and looks around outside, hides under the bed and looks around the room again and all this time, the man with the mask is ONLY JUST getting to his feet. So this young girl gave him 1 kick to the chest and it put him down for 5 minutes??? And to make it worse, she does the same thing again a few minutes later, it's woefully staged.

And now lets get to the absolute worst part of this film, the writing. Seriously, the dialogue in this movie is so bad, it's so eye rollingly awful that it's no wonder none of the actors could give any kind of performance.

Some of the dialogue and how it is written just baffled me, people don't talk like this, people do not interact with each other in the kinds of ways they do in this film, most of the lines of dialogue are just bizarre.

And just one final note, as with everything that seems to come out these days, this film has a check box of things that absolutely have to be in a movie these days to jump on the diversity train.

White girl with a black boyfriend CHECK! Indian or Asian character CHECK Lesbian or openly gay character, usually with short outlandish hair and tattoos CHECK Horrible redneck drunk white male character who just does nasty things for the sake of it CHECK It's getting boring. You can represent different groups of people in media without trying to shoe horn one of each stereotype into EVERY movie that comes out.

Overall, this film is bad, it's really bad, it's cheap looking, has some awful camerawork, sound design is all over the place, it has some of the worst acting you will ever see and the writing and dialogue is just beyond a joke. It's overly long, poorly edited, boring as hell and was just a completely joyless watch.

Do yourself a favour and avoid this one, there's far better Turkey's to enjoy this Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Oh and family members and friends of the production staff, please feel free to downrate this review like you're doing with most of the 1 star reviews on here, my life doesn't become any more negative because you gave me a thumbs down on the IMDB, so click away, this film is utter crap and I stand by everything I have said :)
21 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low budget, low quality
FinneganBear31 December 2021
Poor writing, poor directing, poor continuity and especially poor acting. Very, very poor acting throughout. The movie is also way too long at over 2 excruciating hours. The movie plays like a high school project. Although I suspect some high schools would do a better job. Unfortunately, it's not laughably bad. It's just "I wish I hadn't watched this" bad.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as many claim
jdorego3 December 2021
Yes it is longer than needs to be. Plenty to chop out. Mostly the church scene. Acting not as bad as some say. The lead actress Lilly Leann Wright shows a lot of promise. Her two friends not so much.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had so much potential
princess-fairy20108 December 2021
This movie could have been so much better if it wasn't for the acting. It was very cringe. It disappoints me because the twist was pretty could but the people cast in this movie were just ehh.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible acting
gweesha12 December 2021
I don't understand the people who gave this movie a 10!! The acting alone is like a -10. It was so hard to get past that alone. I'm not even sure I can finish it. It sucks.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was mediocre
hawkknight88-11 November 2021
This was clearly a low budget or indie movie. I stumbled across it because it has such high rating (which seem to be friends/family?) The movie was just not that good. There was some pretty mediocre acting and the ending 'twist' was incredibly obvious. We knew the religious kid was acting shady the entire film. We know he's tall. We know the mom is really short. The moment he got in the van with his mom after hitting the 'bathroom' with liquid on his shirt I turn to my wife and say "he cut her brakes and the boyfriend in the back seat is just to try and throw us off".

It has some cool shots and I appreciate that lots of clues were dropped (ie the writing was not poor). But this was fairly sub par flick. Also we never fully got to see what happened to Kim besides some bloody glasses.
15 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stopped watching
mbprocter29 November 2021
Far too politically correct. I don't need it pushing in my face. Concentrate on story please you're distracting the audience with virtue signalling. I lasted 20 minutes.
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Every action has consequence
andyofne-7581328 November 2021
This "movie" is garbage. But not just garbage, hot garbage served in a dirty ashtray

All of the 9 and 10 reviews appear to be fake. I clicked on nearly a dozen users who gave this a 9 or 10 and they all have ONE review and all the accounts are exactly 2 months old. What a joke.

I assume these are paid for or are from people who were part of the production. If a real human watched this and gave it a 9 or 10, they are either reviewing the wrong movie or they are write fake (probably paid) reviews.

The acting here is bad, like horribly bad. Very wooden and stilted. Like regular everyday people reading unfamiliar text aloud.

There are also some pretty major plot holes like how did the 'bad guys' discover who was doing the catfishing?

I'll admit, I didn't necessarily see the ending coming but I won't spoil it for anyone dying to see this, good luck. It's painful to watch.

The movie is supposed to be about a girl who cat fishes men to buy her gifts in exchange for photos / videos. But that whole part of the movie is almost inconsequential and very thinly explored.

Also, if you're getting ready to buy a gift for some hot girl online, try doing a simple reverse image search and see if someone is sending you stock or stolen photos. You can probably save yourself a lot of money.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTH did I just watch
kittiedanger12 December 2021
This has got to be one of the worst indie films ever. Actors cannot act, they all have blank stares as if they all came to work high that day. I don't like that there's a "formula" now that most films are following this one has them all from Uber religious zealots to the gay community. Please people make films, not political or religious statements. The End.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film, kept me on the edge of my seat!
jedijimmy1019 November 2021
I loved Fisher it had an excellent story and magnificent actors. My favorite actors in the film were Jessie Bell and Alexander Chastain both brought a sense of realism and likability to their characters. I kept guessing the whole time who the killer was and I was very surprised by the ending. Great film not to be missed!
21 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I couldn't.
ic-4674330 December 2021
I tried. I really tried, but I felt like I was torturing myself by watching this movie. I made it thru maybe 25-30 minutes, and that felt like an eternity. The acting like nails on a chalkboard. I checked out after that 30 minutes.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid 6
kluck_c24 November 2021
This was a fairly interesting film. The interaction between the characters was interesting. Many of the characters were not the typical teen flick stereotypes. I also find the inclusion of religion an interesting facet to the film as when you consider all in of the societal constructs in the world, religion has definitely led to a significant share of death and destruction. I cannot agree with the 10s that some have rated this as it is not of the calibre of Jaws or The Godfather I or II, but it's entertaining. The twist was a little predictable for me but the movie doesn't warrant 0s or 1s either.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly Dull
RichBoorman24 November 2021
Not a terrible idea, but very poorly executed. After a fairly promising opening scene, the tone changes. The acting is wooden, and if the pacing were any slower it would be going backwards!

I've seen worse, but not much.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amateur high school level movie
cclarkalbritton30 November 2021
Hilarious This movie is staged like a serious film, but it is hard to decide which is more amateur, between the beginner High School level acting the inane plot, the bad amateur writing, or just the overall amateur production and direction. I watched all 2 hours of this fake movie wondering when it would develop into something legitimate. Spoiler alert, it never does. This movie if it was a serious attempt at a film, is a complete failure. But it may have a second life as a comedy or a counter example of film making. This is not the worst movie I have ever seen, but it is among the worst five or so.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mostly works... Worth a watch.
fredsellsslacks20 November 2021
I didn't like Mr. Green's southern accent, but then again no one in movies seems to be able to do one.

Deja is kinda of wooden but she has her moments. Clara and the actress that plays Mrs. Roberts are fine.

To the people that say it's low budget... well DUH. Doesn't mean that it's automatically the worst movie ever made.

I'm gonna chalk up the low score to people being angry about everything these days. Take a chill. Have a drink.

Anyway, for an indy film this wasn't half bad. Watched it with my girlfriend and we were intrigued. Kimmy is hilarious.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You've been punked
wtnmsmhdz10 November 2021
If anyone believed the ratings and watched this based on that, you've been punked. Worst acting ever. The story actually had promise. But it it was just horribly delivered.
29 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Twists and turns in this thrilling horror romp
Fluff-nugget30 August 2021
I was at the premiere in Tennessee and, frankly, was skeptical about this whole film. Man was I rocked.

The direction, editing and production is tight for an indie film. There's humor and heart and it doesn't feel forced like most low budget films.

It builds up to a interesting finale and leaves you thinking. I'm ready to rewatch it now.
22 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stiff acting
catgrrl80930 November 2021
All the lines seemed stiff and awkward, like everyone was reading from a poorly written script. Even a Lifetime movie puts this to shame. The acting is so basic.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing indie film
lightofmylife30 August 2021
Loved the story and the characters. One in particular is hilarious. The pacing and music score are great. If you like mystery/suspense/thrillers, I highly recommend!
21 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keeps You Guessing
Moongoddess1068 October 2021
I can usually guess the ending by the middle of the beginning and Fisher kept me guessing till the end!
20 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst acting I have ever seen in my life
edett200313 December 2021
Literally not one person can even remotely act(ESPECIALLY THE TEACHER'S son...OMG AWFUL. How could they not find ONE decent actor out of all these characters?!!? The main characters best friend is supposed to be in HS with her...yet she looks like she is 35...I wanted all the characters to die at the end. If they spent over $1000 making this movie you would never know it...and that would be too much money for this piece of garbage. Anyone that gave this film a score of over 3 is either in the movie using a fake account or friends with someone from this atrocity.

DO NOT WATCH.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film
Lettucepray30 August 2021
Interesting immersive film. Great suspense build and nice payoff.
19 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's far from perfect but I enjoyed it.
silvery_shamrock18 November 2021
It's a INDEPENDENT FILM... what were you expecting? Hollywood production values? I think they did a damn good job. So why are so many people bitter here? Is it because they mention God in the movie? If that's a problem then that is YOUR problem.

Rant Over.

The good: Cinematography above average even really good for a budget that had to be in the six figures if not less. Someone has had some training with lighting and blocking scenes. All fundamentally sound. Even when they do something like breaking the 180 degree rule, they do it in such a way that is impactful. Like when Mrs. Roberts confronts Clara.

Some nice uses of camera movement in a few scenes as a storytelling tool.

Not every scene is a work of art but it's solid camera work for sure.

The plot. I thought it was interesting if not a bit convoluted. You have to pay attention to details. I realize this is difficult for this current generation but there was definitely a story here.

The acting is average. It's not terrible but it's definitely better in some spots than others.

I really liked the ending, the score and the sound design, which was way above average for this kind of film.

The Bad: The dialog is not the best and I think that it makes the actors seem worse than they are. As a writer myself, it's easy to substitute exposition for dialog. So in this sense, yes the film is not the best. The script weighs down a few scenes and makes them feel unnatural. The whole of the film is not like this, however, as towards the middle of the film it felt much more natural but it took a while to get there...which leads me to...

The length of this film. If it had been just 10 minutes shorter then I think more people might stick around longer for the climax. Otherwise, the editing was tight.

Overall:

I liked what they tried to do with this. It's not 100% successful all the time but it had enough to keep my interest and enough intrigue to carry it through. So don't listen to the reviews saying it's "the worst movie ever made." It cleary is not. Watch and decide for yourself.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great story!
durhamjc30 August 2021
Great story, great character development! Definitely a must see.
19 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.